Official Depression thread

Appreciate your response. I didn't want to come off as condescending but always wondered.

Everything I see online points to "use medicine"

That's like a professional way of telling someone to smoke a blunt, run some laps, make some music, or have some drinks.

The medicine is often used to counterbalance certain chemical imbalances in the brain.

Nothing condescending about asking; IMO I believe many people who suffer from depression appreciate when someone wants to understand what they are going through.

Sorry to hear that man, what is most important is that you made it through! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out.
Its a bit of both. Genetics play role in whether or not someone is predisposed to depression. Environment factors such as a dysfunctional home or other traumatic events can contribute.

The way in which you internalize traumatic events or daily stressors IMO does play a role.

So essentially if schools had a class on handling emotions and internal problems the same way they should teach financial literacy, it wouldn't be as big of a problem?

So essentially if schools had a class on handling emotions and internal problems the same way they should teach financial literacy, it wouldn't be as big of a problem?

I dont think it would be the silver bullet but I believe that it would help those who are predisposed to understand how they should approach their depression/anxiety. However, it may not solve everything as a certain part of it may be chemical.

FYI - Depression is often described as "anger turned inward".

Appreciate your response. I didn't want to come off as condescending but always wondered.

Everything I see online points to "use medicine"

That's like a professional way of telling someone to smoke a blunt, run some laps, make some music, or have some drinks.
I think there might be predisposition to depression. But when I've sulked and lived in negativity. It didn't work out I had to put in work to have it go away.

And for the record I don't think there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be social. It takes a realistic person to mention that being around multiple personalities and forced communications due to the holidays is draining.
Mine was more so not being around anyone at all. It kinda ****** with me.

Sorry to hear that man, what is most important is that you made it through! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out.
Its a bit of both. Genetics play role in whether or not someone is predisposed to depression. Environment factors such as a dysfunctional home or other traumatic events can contribute.

The way in which you internalize traumatic events or daily stressors IMO does play a role.

Thanks man, that means a lot. I appreaciate the support.

I've been seeing my old college counselor more lately and am more directionless than ever.

I'm coasting through life. Everything is just "okay" and I feel like I don't have a purpose / ultimate goal.

I've already set up a plan -- my savings are all ready to transfer to my family in the worst case scenario.

I've been seeing my old college counselor more lately and am more directionless than ever.

I'm coasting through life. Everything is just "okay" and I feel like I don't have a purpose / ultimate goal.

I've already set up a plan -- my savings are all ready to transfer to my family in the worst case scenario.
bruhhh.... Go travel B.

Thinking about getting a divorce from my wife, this past year has been terrible... No moral support from her, plenty of arguing daily...we don't go out for dates or nothing......im just lost on what my next step would be if I follow thru with it

This is how I feel on a daily basis. I try to tell myself that I should be happy and that there are people who would kill to have things as good as me, but I just feel unfulfilled and aimless. I don't really enjoy what I do for a living, but have no idea what would make me happy, and plus it'd be hard to replace my income.

So I just keep coasting daily. And as I get older, my world seems to keep getting smaller, as friends retreat into their own families and offspring. My girl wants to start trying for kids soon, which should be a joyous occasion, but as I contemplate a future of child-rearing and the attendant full-time grinding to provide for a family the next 20 years, I can't help but feel like I'm getting ready to lock myself into a prison of my own design.

I get so depressed and isolated that sometimes it's hard for me to function in society. I don't know if I'll ever be the same.

This is how I feel on a daily basis. I try to tell myself that I should be happy and that there are people who would kill to have things as good as me, but I just feel unfulfilled and aimless. I don't really enjoy what I do for a living, but have no idea what would make me happy, and plus it'd be hard to replace my income.

So I just keep coasting daily. And as I get older, my world seems to keep getting smaller, as friends retreat into their own families and offspring. My girl wants to start trying for kids soon, which should be a joyous occasion, but as I contemplate a future of child-rearing and the attendant full-time grinding to provide for a family the next 20 years, I can't help but feel like I'm getting ready to lock myself into a prison of my own design.
Wow. I can relate big time.

Feelin real ****** man , iono , gonna have to make drastic changes in my life. Some say change is good but im most times scared of change. But yeah brethren I need to get out of this hole ive been in the past few years. Been talkin alot of **** about how ima do this gonna do that. This year is gonna be my make or break.

Feelin real ****** man , iono , gonna have to make drastic changes in my life. Some say change is good but im most times scared of change. But yeah brethren I need to get out of this hole ive been in the past few years. Been talkin alot of **** about how ima do this gonna do that. This year is gonna be my make or break.

Stay focused fam, I'm certain you can get out of this rut!

It might sound cheesy but keeping a journal really helps get a lot of the negative feelings out.

Stay strong brother, we are here if you need to talk.

i feel the same way... i dont know what my purpose is in life either to make me happy... i am just coasting everyday and it feels like groundhog day doing the same thing over and over again...i dont do anything on the weekend and im so tired from work that i just hang out at home and chill in my room all day going on the computer or watching tv its sad.... i dont hang out with my friends at all because they have families and spend time with them and they just live far... and i hate my job and ive been looking for the past few months but after the interview process i dont hear anything... i went on 3 interviews so far and i could do better so i need to improve on that...i am very materialistic and buy things just to make me happy and to forget about my problems.... im not motivated to do anything or improve on myself which is bad...

i feel the same way... i dont know what my purpose is in life either to make me happy... i am just coasting everyday and it feels like groundhog day doing the same thing over and over again...i dont do anything on the weekend and im so tired from work that i just hang out at home and chill in my room all day going on the computer or watching tv its sad.... i dont hang out with my friends at all because they have families and spend time with them and they just live far... and i hate my job and ive been looking for the past few months but after the interview process i dont hear anything... i went on 3 interviews so far and i could do better so i need to improve on that...i am very materialistic and buy things just to make me happy and to forget about my problems.... im not motivated to do anything or improve on myself which is bad...

Been there, still kinda am. I have to stop, and make myself think no matter how bad it is...someone else always has it worse. If you can afford it, buy things that always made me feel better temporarily at least, it's not hurting Noone but your wallet.

Ppl that were on anti depressants and eventually got off, how was the process for you physically and mentally?

This time two years ago I didn't even want to get out of bed. Had black curtains so it was dark all the time :lol: I realized that if that wasn't the bottom then I was pretty close and I got nervous. Started going to therapy. Legit went every 2 weeks for 52 weeks straight as well as taking antidepressants.

Today I feel amazing. I can't even sleep once the sun is up because I'm ready to go and do something. Hell my NT consumption has been way less since too. Essentially when everything is good you figure you don't need 'help' anymore. I'm ready to atleast stop taking the meds and maybe I'll continue therapy just in case. My problem is I'm scared that if I'm off the meds and something happens emotionally I won't be able to handle it. Idk man .. this is just the beginning.

Stay up bros.

Ppl that were on anti depressants and eventually got off, how was the process for you physically and mentally?

This time two years ago I didn't even want to get out of bed. Had black curtains so it was dark all the time
laugh.gif
I realized that if that wasn't the bottom then I was pretty close and I got nervous. Started going to therapy. Legit went every 2 weeks for 52 weeks straight as well as taking antidepressants.

Today I feel amazing. I can't even sleep once the sun is up because I'm ready to go and do something. Hell my NT consumption has been way less since too. Essentially when everything is good you figure you don't need 'help' anymore. I'm ready to atleast stop taking the meds and maybe I'll continue therapy just in case. My problem is I'm scared that if I'm off the meds and something happens emotionally I won't be able to handle it. Idk man .. this is just the beginning.

Stay up bros.
Around 2 years ago, a little after the onset of my illness, I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg for several months in combination with visiting a psychologist during that time.

It's hard to say which of the two helped the most but after a while I started feeling like myself again and the psychologist agreed that I was ready to move on. I discontinued the Zoloft as well and had no adverse reactions or anything.

My health/quality of life has decreased significantly since then due to said illness but I have not had any problems with depression since then.

Last edited:
So, Idk what I really am supposed to do. My wife and I got into an argument about how she is still suffering from depression/anxiety and wants to go home to California. I understand her concern because she's is caring for our daughter and wants to be closer to family and friends. But the problem is, how am I suppose to just get up and look for a new job and move across the country? I'm so lost/frustrated/sad at the dilemma I'm in.

I thought our trip back home to CA last week would been a nice refresher for all of us, but since then, it's like she's gotten worse. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

I even suggested that if she really wanted to go home, that she can go ahead with our daughter and I'll stay back while I work and try to find another opportunity in CA...But I'm just scared that may break our marriage apart.

I just need to vent. I still continue to feel lost and hopeless with my wife pertaining this situation. I offer her to go out and walk around the mall or get her hair done, but she doesn't want to do it and only prefers to do that back home.

It's so effing frustrating and confusing. I really think I've been depressed myself. I come home from work and cook dinner, clean, and do laundry. On top of that, she's expecting me to think of places for us to go out or do things on the weekend. I'm all doing things on the weekend to help her out, but I feel like I'm doing everything. This really is burning me out and making me want to stay home. But if I decide to stay home, I get crap from her about wanting to go out, but she doesn't want to go out on her own.

And if I'm in the wrong thread, sorry.

Sounds like a situational issue more than actual clinical depression (on your end). Definitely a difficult decision to make, especially with a child in the mix. Do you think her depression/anxiety worsened because she went to CA, came back and has regressed back to a sort of "homesick" state? Maybe she'll improve as time heals and realizes just picking up and moving isn't the answer? I would just tell her you understand and sympathize but that the two of you need to approach the situation logically. If a move is absolutely necessary, she needs to understand that it takes time to find a job, especially across the entire country. Her taking the child and moving without allowing you to at least have time to find a job and process the situation is selfish IMO.

Back
Top Bottom