Official Depression thread

Are there any type of motivational speaker vids or anything like that to watch?

Are there any type of motivational speaker vids or anything like that to watch?
Gary Vaynerchuk puts out a lot of videos.

I've always been into reading. Mostly entrepreneurship and self help books. I think anyone can benefit from these:

Amazon product ASIN 0671646788
That book was written in the mid 80s, and is still very relevant. I've read this book every other year and I take something new away.

Amazon product ASIN 0446199737
This book talks about reframing your mentality. Instead of saying "I'm not happy now", change it to "I'm in the process of making myself more happy" because it's true.

I poked back in this thread because I caught myself slipping a bit last week, but was able to pick myself up with the support of friends and mentors. Life is filled with peaks and valleys...you're going to be depressed at times. One of the most amazing things a mentor told me was that: no matter how bad your life is, you're healthy, and you live in the USA. You may lose the day, just wake up tomorrow and start a new battle. There are people in 3rd world countries that would kill to be in your place. So I think about this when I don't feel happy about myself. My affluent friends adopt this line of thinking because they have to be optimists otherwise they'll be suicidal due to the swing of business. It also applies in other aspects of life.

I don't advise anyone to drown themselves in alcohol or drugs to numb the pain. My friend, who started as a mentor, did that. He came close to dying, and has scars on his heart as a result. He's already incredibly wealthy. Now he spent millions making products to combat this by poaching the top scientists. They're all natural products aimed to make you more calm, less stressed out, and be more fulfilled with life. I can't support it until I use it on myself, but will report back. There's a big difference between being not mentally well, and being mentally ill. If you are mentally ill, then I think you should definitely seek treatment. But I do think we over prescript medications and became a pill popping culture.

Eating healthy is definitely a key factor. When you eat good, and take care of your body...it carries over to other parts of your life.

I don't know anyone in here, but just an idea: you all may want to create a group chat...so you guys can have someone to talk to.

I've met many NTers throughout my years. I don't post here much anymore, but those guys are really close to me. We all flew in for one's wedding last week. We usually meet at a place for a vacation to catch up. It's pretty cool.

Sorry for the unstructured post, just rambling here.

Hope everyone is doing well, and remember to love yourselves.

Edit:

Ran into one of my fav videos on being grateful today:

Edit again: I started a new site to serve as a blog for my thoughts. A lot of it is focused on self growth and motivation.

I don't know how to update the signature on the new platform so here it is: www.WisithJ.com

Last edited:
**** has officially affected me with women.

Went from being fairly confident to not even being able to look at a girl in the eye.

Where are you all located at? I'm going to start a meet up group so wondering if anyone here is in the greater LA area.

As always, open invitation for anyone who has no one to talk to, ping me. I talk to so many Nters throughout the country on the regular basis, it's good to connect on a deeper level.

Last edited:
Don't know if I've mentioned it in here, but I quit drinking coffee, it's really helped to reduce stress and anxiety.

First time posting in this thread but feel as though my depression is getting worse at this point. I've felt bad in the past but now I just don't know. In this past week I've quit my band, me and my girl broke up over something stupid, the trip we were supposed to go on we didn't and I couldn't get a refund, mom is sick in another state and seems she's getting worse instead of better. Only upside to this last month is that I finally got a great job but everything that happened last week literally makes me feel like absolute ****. My motivation is starting to suffer in my personal and I'm hoping that it doesn't transfer to my work life as well.

I haven't reached out to no one in almost a week due to a lot of conflict and issues including part of why me and my girl broke up. I've been tempted to reach out to her but if things don't go right I know that's going to just add to the depression.

Just feel like I need person to vent to without judgement and I lost them.

I'm somewhat in the same position. I want someone to care enough to reach out, but at the same time, reality tells me that's not that realistic. Seems like everyone is so self-absorbed into their own life(maybe even myself, but just from my perspective), it's probably just better to stay to myself. So maybe it's not depression, but just a negative outlook on people/life in general.

First time posting in this thread but feel as though my depression is getting worse at this point. I've felt bad in the past but now I just don't know. In this past week I've quit my band, me and my girl broke up over something stupid, the trip we were supposed to go on we didn't and I couldn't get a refund, mom is sick in another state and seems she's getting worse instead of better. Only upside to this last month is that I finally got a great job but everything that happened last week literally makes me feel like absolute ****. My motivation is starting to suffer in my personal and I'm hoping that it doesn't transfer to my work life as well.

I haven't reached out to no one in almost a week due to a lot of conflict and issues including part of why me and my girl broke up. I've been tempted to reach out to her but if things don't go right I know that's going to just add to the depression.

Just feel like I need person to vent to without judgement and I lost them.
Two things that have helped me in the past with similar situations:

1) Just so you know, EVERYONE goes through the experiences you are describing in some form or fashion ... Understanding that I was not all that different really helped me turn things around ... One piece of advice that has stuck with me on this subject was not assuming you know what others are going through because only that person truly knows ... The facade you see is not the truth in many cases ...

2) Nothing really matters ... I know that sounds harsh but reframing your outlook as each experience being a very miniscule part of a much larger whole might help you through short-term ruts ... I know reminding myself that I have a grander plan had helped me deal with setbacks ...

Give your mom a call and just talk about your day ... Not heavy convo, just get the conversation going ... Always helped me ...

It’s easy to be around a lot of people and support and still feel alone. It’s a strange fact of life, I’ve been through this before myself. The thing of getting past that part and realizing that some people are genuinely genuine is the unique part of human beings particularly love ones, in that no matter how self absorbed or busy they are, there is always that feeling that they are they for you no matter what; even if what they say doesn’t sound like it.

I had to take a early morning drive just to clear my head. Been so depressed and down lately.

2) Nothing really matters ... I know that sounds harsh but reframing your outlook as each experience being a very miniscule part of a much larger whole might help you through short-term ruts ... I know reminding myself that I have a grander plan had helped me deal with setbacks ...

This is good advice. Sometimes you just have to say "f--- it" and not be so hard on yourself. This country's construct is notorious for placing a higher value on school, work, money... as opposed to relationships, family, happiness, and so on. Starting from the age we enter school that mentality is sort of implanted in us. We get caught up in flow of increasing our financial worth that it's often difficult to just stop for a second and soak up the important intangibles in life. I think as a whole we need to be better at balancing these things out. Seems like northern European countries have it down.

I'm a chronic worrier (and will probably live a shorter life for this reason alone), so it's hard for me to practice the above. I'm hoping one of these days a sort of have an epiphany and things just click and make sense and I'm able to lead a less stressful existence.

I know that lonely feeling and telling you to continue focusing on your goals doesn’t help. I’d say try to mingle with someone, neighbor, coworker, girl at the coffee shop,etc. Being able to communicate with someone definitely helps with coping

Back
Top Bottom