Official District 9 Movie Post

i thought this movie was very good. wasn't too excited going into it but it completely surpassed my expectations

was thinking about resistance 2 the entire time, reminded me of it.

story was meh, the film was all action IMO

btw did anyone feel nauseous after the movie? camera angles and shakiness had me straight
sick.gif

i thought the movie was well put together. i loved the storyline and the alien guns too
pimp.gif

I thought it was great, could have been a little better.

It really was put together well though.

Originally Posted by Skip0011

i thought this movie was very good. wasn't too excited going into it but it completely surpassed my expectations
Same here, I was like "here we go again" when I was watching through the first scenes. I'm glad the whole movie wasn't justabout interviewing.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Originally Posted by ericescobar

Genuinly alien film.

I watched it today. I would nit pay to watch it again. The acting was so hard to believe in. I couldn't lower guard with this movie.

In the not-todistant-future, there are alien-filled slums with their mother ship just parked on top of them. There is this Theme oppresion and hope, but it's weird because the aliens look like bugs (of course) and don't speak English and are pretty strong and have POWERFUL weapons, but cannot get themselves to their mother ship. Hm...

The protagonist was overly emotional and unable to stick to a decision. He's a spazz. I will say I started to care about his alien buddy, but only kind of. I mean he gets pistol whipped by the potag, but then forgives him. Well...

To be fair, the final act was interesting, if only because the weapons had that look them of a videogame. Very Halo-like...

In the end, it is a diffeent movie. It's not as "smart" as so
e have said it is. It's an alien flick with a seldo
-seen creative spin. Rent it.
I have to say that some parts of this movie probably flew STRAIGHT over your head.

The ship couldn't move because the command module was down. The aliens did have DOPE weapons, but were so stupid that when they did use them, they used them to rob banks and derail trains etc etc.

Really take the time to think about this. There are a million, diseased aliens aboard a large ship. Obviously something happened at or near home that made them retreat. Therefore, most alien leaders would still be at home sorting out the situation. So you have one or two guys who actually KNOWS what the hell is going on (The main alien character) and the rest are a bunch of imbeciles. If it was the same situation but the aliens were humans, you think that EVERY human knows how to fly a rocket ship? How to fix one? No. There are some who are butchers, doctors, parents, but just because your race has developed great technology, doesn't mean EVERYONE knows how to use it.

You say the main character was overly emotional? HE'S TURNING INTO A &%$# ALIEN! So you would just be calm and trying to figure out the situation while you have half an alien body and men with guns are trying to find you, while a Nigerian warlord is trying to eat you? Get real, you'd have done the same.

And if you think about this, what's to say that this WOULDN'T happen if aliens landed and were in that situation? You think humans would just let some crazy intelligent space travelers with extremely strong weaponry do whatever they wanted until they could go home? No. Not at all. In fact, this is based off of Cape Town's District 6.... Look it up.

Overall, it's a stunning movie that will really make you think about what humanity's really capable of. I know as an African American this really hit home, because a lot of this is straight out of Jim Crow. Check it out.
Before I say anything, I want to say I respect what you had to say.
You were most clearly right about one thing. I DID miss the excuse for the ship's perpetual parking over the city. I missed that while I was trying (ashard as I could) to convince myself that this was a plausible scenario.

The movie is obviously neither about aliens nor alien-arm fetishes. There is an underlying theme, which you've already pointed out. My beef with the movie(and with critics) is that they tend to be hyperbolic with their critiques, at times, and it's really annoying (to me).

Look, I came in to the theater with an open mind. I paid for the movie and I was going to give it every chance to convince me of it's premise. In the end,I was struggling with myself to find that even ground. I couldn't do it. I couldn't numb my mind long enough for the premise to seem even slightlyapproachable.

I can easily appreciate what the movie WANTS to say, but what comes out of the screen is kind of unnecessary. How many people are going to the theater thinking"gee, I've always wanted to see a sci-fi analogy of the apartheid!".

See, even if that's what one expected, and sincerely wished, to see, the premise is so irrational and desultory that the hidden theme becomes derelict ofthe actual plot. There's nothing out here in reality so to make me believe that a circumstance, such as the apartheid, can ever recur with aliens in placeof humans.

I just couldn't convince myself this was possible.

As for my actual criticism, I thought the main character (played by a comedian, by the way) was a spazz. I mean, would I be super serious or super distressed?I'm not sure because, again, I have a hard time believing this would happen to me. This guys is making sex jokes, while trying to hide is alien appendage,befriending, and also betraying (only to later re-friend) an alien...He's all over the map! I'm not arguing there is a PERFECT way to play analien-virus- infected human, but am saying that he was just emotionally convulsive, which he was. I just that he was annoying TO ME.

Also, man, what are aliens doing in this galaxy to begin with? We can make the assumption that something went wrong on their home planet (or that they arenomadic and harvest which ever planet they wish), but why send the "imbeciles"(as you call them) to do the researching? Why send sick people to finda cure? Why not send the most capable aliens to find a cure? Why Earth? There was obviously nothing there for them. If they needed to make a pit stop, theyhave the moon. Didn't the alien kid mention the moon? Maybe it was all a dumb mistake on the alien's part. Maybe the movie was just an instance of thedumbest luck of the dumbest lucks; and if THAT'S the case, then I REALLY can't bring myself to believe this premise at all.

But that's just me.

I sorry but when homie said "3 years" I was done
laugh.gif
roll.gif
I might've killed that damn prawn. I'm supposed to kick it on Earth for3 years as a fugitive alien and wait for you to come back? Like you going around the corner? I don't even know where you going. If anything I would'vewent with him.

But I liked the movie. I best thing about this movie is it's not in the US...NY, D.C., LA are played out.

MNU's eviction and relocation of the aliens is based on District Six, a former inner-city residential area in Cape Town, South Africa. The district wasdeclared a 'whites only' area by the apartheid government in 1966 and the population of 60,000 forcibly removed to Cape Flats, 25 kilometres awayduring the following years.

from wikipedia. this movie ties in with discrimination and racism as well...

it was sad at the end when Wickus' wife received a flower at her doorstep and she said "i dont know if it was him, it couldn't be" and itshowed Wickus in his prawn state making a flower.

i hope they make district 10

now that the movie has done well, watch them get mcg or michael bay to step in a completely ruin the sequel. prolly have shia lebouf in it too
sick.gif

Just came back from watching it, it was sick. Some parts were over acted, but the story was really great.

I watched it yesterday and thought it was really good. I was wondering too if there is going to be a sequel for this.

Sidenote - Did anyone else catch the preview for "The Fourt Kind"? $%!# had me
ed035fe847707cba684cb074f0ae67065065b5f.gif

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the film, it under delivered a bit. I would assume there has to a sequel, right?

CH: Are you up for doing District 10 next?

NB: If the audience wanted another film, yeah, it would be super-cool to go into the backstory of the aliens.

CH: Have you already worked out what it would be about?

NB: Not really. It's been two-and-a-half years solid making this film. Now that I'm at the end of it, I've been caught a little unawares about what I want to do next. I know I'd love to go back to the world of District 9, though, if the audience wants another film.

Back
Top Bottom