::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

PaltryBruisedCur.gif

l

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Can someone help me out? How does the World Cup determine what players can play for which country? Do you have to be born there or be a descendant of that country?

Also what is the background with Balotelli's last name? Clearly he us black but how did he end with an Italian last name?

balotelli was adopted as a child by an italian couple in italy after his ghanian parents couldn't care for him

most players who play for a given country are born there, but some "naturalize" in order to be able to play for a different country than which they were born in - like the handful of german-born players on the usa team for instance. many european countries now include foreign-born players in their rosters

Can someone help me out? How does the World Cup determine what players can play for which country? Do you have to be born there or be a descendant of that country?

Also what is the background with Balotelli's last name? Clearly he us black but how did he end with an Italian last name?

If you were born there ..your parents or grandparents were born there or if you gained citizenship via working (Diego costa playing in Spain the past few years) you can represent that country..u have to be good enough obviously

Other examples..Zinedine Zidane and Karim Benzema are of Algerian descent but were both born in France..so they can or could have represented either country

Thiago Motta was born in Brazil but has Italian grandparents..he plays for Italy..could represent both ..not sure if he'd make the Brazilian squad even tho he plays for one of the top clubs in the world

Same rules apply for the olympics

As someone mentioned..balotelli was adopted by Italians

Last edited:
^yeah, and you have to choose. Once you have played a game for a senior national side you can't switch.

It used to be that you could in some sports - rugby was a good example where lots of players would play for New Zealand in their prime then back to a small island nation as they got older. They closed that loophole a few years ago.

^yeah, and you have to choose. Once you have played a game for a senior national side you can't switch.

It used to be that you could in some sports - rugby was a good example where lots of players would play for New Zealand in their prime then back to a small island nation as they got older. They closed that loophole a few years ago.

Yep

US has to take advantage of Ronaldo not being 100% and Portugal taking a beating last week.

#IBELIEVETHATWEWILLWIN

I'm convinced when the underdog scores first it leads to the most boring games.

I understand the logic just hard to watch teams but 9 in the box for an hour :smh:

Back
Top Bottom