Official FUTURE A1/FBG Thread

He's actually quite a good reviewer. Enjoy his stuff a lot. That said I don't agree with everything he says but do yall really think DS2 is a 10 out of 10?

It's not a 10
Just came out so I don't wanna declare things so soon, but I feel this is the weakest out of the 4 last projects.
With that being said, I'm not wasting my time listening to a geek's opinion on rap. Especially a Future album. It's an issue I have with current hip hop journalism; outsiders to the culture are being given too much importance.

Sorry I should have posted this first
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20810-dirty-sprite-2/

Maybe you hate P4K too, but they had this to say (while declaring it Best New Music)

... There is no such self-consciousness on DS2. Its universe is bleak and unforgiving, a redemption story for a man who is certain it’s too late for his soul to be redeemed; instead of a triumphal arc, we burrow deeper and deeper into Future’s dystopia.

... But as a stylist and a technical rapper, Future’s operating on a level unmatched in his five-year discography, early mixtapes and all. As a storyteller, he’s evolved considerably, his lyrics crystallizing into a specific poetry.

... This dissonance creates the album’s essential tension between what Future literally describes and what he truly feels. "I pour two zips/ I’m feeling way better," he crows on swirling, melodramatic "Slave Master". "Way better," here, is fraught with subtext—the transcendent but fleeting relief of giving in to temptation.

So this got me thinking. It's the persistent battle with certain rappers: are they deeper than their surface? Or is it just feel-good music that slaps? I thought the P4K review was WAY over the top, but the Fantano review was a little harsh and didn't quite address the simple playability factor. I'm somewhere in the middle. Would be curious on anyone's take.

He's proved long ago he's got horrible taste in rap and that he's a dweeb, look at his collar in that screenshot b.

Meek Mill made "dweeb" cool again :smokin

You can't understand us cuz you too soft

But I've been enjoying DS2 since it leaked
But I very much enjoyed Monster and 56 Nights

And leave my cat out of this!

Last edited:
Any word on the LA location? I know Metro Boomin has a show at the Observtory in the OC same night, which I find odd.

Future and Travis Scott are confirmed for that show from what Ive heard

What's the line lookin like in NYC

Future is deeper than what appears on the surface and the music slaps as well.

Problem with that nerds review is he doesn't know the lingo, and can't relate...so everything Future is saying to him is in a different language. Hence why he can't understand him.

When you really understand and listen to him, you realize his music is drenched with vulnerability and regret.....as well as an idgaf attitude. That's what makes his music so relatable. he takes you from the feeling where you're looking within yourself, and then seamlessly transitions to turning up and having fun.We all do this.

Music doesn't need to be drenched with typical "deep" production, poetry or obvious lyrics about struggle to be deep. Everyone has a certain depth to them and struggles differently.

Future is the rare artist that makes club bangers without having to make club bangers. It's slaps in the whip...but there are a lot of layers to his music.

The title of the album is Dirty Sprite 2, what sort of subject matter is dude expecting?

A reiteration of the emancipation proclamation apparently.

He's actually quite a good reviewer. Enjoy his stuff a lot. That said I don't agree with everything he says but do yall really think DS2 is a 10 out of 10?

It's not a 10/10, but what body of work really is in this day and age? It's a solid 8.5 imo.

Problem with that nerds review is he doesn't know the lingo, and can't relate...so everything Future is saying to him is in a different language. Hence why he can't understand him.

When you really understand and listen to him, you realize his music is drenched with vulnerability and regret.....as well as an idgaf attitude. That's what makes his music so relatable. he takes you from the feeling where you're looking within yourself, and then seamlessly transitions to turning up and having fun.We all do this.

Music doesn't need to be drenched with typical "deep" production, poetry or obvious lyrics about struggle to be deep. Everyone has a certain depth to them and struggles differently.

Future is the rare artist that makes club bangers without having to make club bangers. It's slaps in the whip...but there are a lot of layers to his music.

That.

In this era of HipHop, i gotta giv Future a 9/10 on this Album.. Take away that track with Drake and its a 10/10.. Besides that song (imo) what could he did better? Anytime u can Compare your album to your mixtapes, u basically givin us everything that hooked our attention in the First place.. I thought Future wuz done, he jus got Started.. They created a MONSTER.

Watched the whole thing, and honestly, I agree.

Many of the top 10s you guys posted would be legit 9/10s, by the way. The subject matter on DS2 just isn't deserving of more than a 7/10, IMO. It's awfully simple.
ucD0sxP.png
I see you coming out your mouth sideways if you don't understand Future music listen to anybody else mad Future not on his King Kunta

^^^^

You really posting that clown's opinion in here?

He's proved long ago he's got horrible taste in rap and that he's a dweeb, look at his collar in that screenshot b.

9 out of 10.

Production/beat selection on point, flow is flawless, subject matter/painting the picture with his words present, and he didn't change up his character or sound in light of his new audience/success. Replay value is hard to gauge when it hasn't even been out a week but Future's music always gets better with time and I'm already knowing Freak H0e will shut strip clubs down across the country the remainder of the year.

"Where ya at" is the only song I don't rock with but I've been seeing that getting a lot of love from the birds and bandwagon fans so it accomplished it's goal.

sn, I think i'm about to work on a piece of art featuring future.
I did one of the weeknd and I decided to keep it since it matched my living room setup. If I do Hendrix, I'll let it go.
Hmu with a price range. 

Pitchfork gave it a 8.4 and the best new music award or whatever

Real mogs know the deal 
nthat.gif

I stopped taking that needledrop guy seriously years ago. That big sean review he did recently 
mean.gif
 Dont get why anyone would take anything he says as valuable 

Anyway my new favorite track is Real Sisters. Again lol

**** AROUND WIT ME YOU TRYN DODGE BULLETS

**** AROUND WITH ME I **** TWIN SISTERS 
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif

Last edited:

Atlanta dudes, you all think he could sell out Phillips Arena as a headline?

Had he ever taken on that venue? :nerd:

I don't even try to convince people to like Future. He's kinda hard to figure out cuz you can't really put him in a box. He's is not a super lyrical rapper or a great singer. He got a down south grimey voice with great melodies and a great ear for beats. On certain songs you can feel his energy or his pain. To me that's what separates him from other dudes that's tryna sound like him. You can feel that ****. From a song like 2Pac to Throwaway.

Wolf
Deeper Than The Ocean
My Savages
March Madness
Where I came From

Just to name a few, he got a lot of songs with substance. Dude will talk about smashing a stripper and selling dope out his grandmama's house in the same verse.

Last edited:
Excellent analysis, maximus. Certain lines definitely resignate with me. I thought it was a joke that he referred to himself as hendrix until I started checking out his tracks. Definitely gritty and soulful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom