Official Hiking Thread

So uh...Went hiking with the gf and I usually turn my nose up towards hiking, thinking it isn't athletic and it's straight up boring.

I was dead wrong fellas. Went about 5.5 miles and I know what you're thinking..."Oh, that's easy." Well yeah, it isn't. Heart rate = off the charts. Scenery = beautiful (Pacific Northwest scenery).

Anyone got experience hiking?

Hiking & Mountain Biking are very underrated,

they are fun as hell but also definitely not easy, I love the scenery though

You must be in decent shape to do either

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Scenery = beautiful (Pacific Northwest scenery).

pimp.gif

I love hiking, for the most part. Whenever I go camping one of the days is dedicated to a nice hike. Like you said, PNW scenery is beautiful.

hell yeah its tuff....

went on a hike a few years ago when i was a camp counselor...

It was BRUTAL...

hiking is looked on as a boring weekend activity. i love hiking/backcountry camping/etc.

take it a step further in the future, get urself a pack, a light solo or 2 person tent and go out over night. bike or hike backcountry to some beautiful spot,camp out over night wake up to a beautiful morning and get back. getting away from civilization even if its for a single night is just so refreshing. besidesmoney for perhaps a tent and a pack, its not a very expensive thing to do either. you really only need two people to enjoy it or more the merrier.

I did an "intermediate" trail thinking, I'm in good shape, why not....man it kicked my !*$. I definitely enjoy it, you definitely need properfootwear though.

in the marine corps we do conditioning hikes with about 120 lbs in our packs and flack jackets....it sucks soooo bad i hate hiking lol, but it is a great workout and it gets u in great shape. the longest one ive done is 27k

Hiking is fun! Go up a few trails around my way. Though Burbank has a nice hike that kicks your butt the first few times you do it.

Got to go on a 7 day trip.

did from penn to NJ to where I live in New York.

70 miles total.

EVERYTHIHG on my back (food, tent, etc etc)

Great trip overall.

Definitely more of a workout than many think, glad to hear you're taking advantage of your location. Beautiful area up there, perfect for hiking.

LV Bagpacks and Rockin Republic jeans aint gonna cut it dude. Get yourself some better hiking gear and youll have 10X more fun

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

9c615ce885554f950e39e0c5ae999109045b85e.pjpg

One day I was in Scottsdale, AZ and bored so i decided to go hiking to for the 1st time...Cant wait to do it again.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Definitely more of a workout than many think, glad to hear you're taking advantage of your location. Beautiful area up there, perfect for hiking.

No doubt. The hiking destinations are endless after I've researched. Definitely looking forward to the next hike. Trying to get a few more in before summerends.

Originally Posted by solarius49

in the marine corps we do conditioning hikes with about 120 lbs in our packs and flack jackets....it sucks soooo bad i hate hiking lol, but it is a great work out and it gets u in great shape. the longest one ive done is 27k
yep ...hated it when i was in the corps, but i enjoy it now ...cuz i dont have to carry them gears around ( full gear + S.A.W =
sick.gif
).

i used to be a treeplanter few years ago in summer of 1st n 2nd year of undergrad. basically lived in my own tent in a small camp hundreds of miles from anycivilization for 2 1/2months at a time. one of the toughest jobs you'll ever do walking 20-25km/day with a loaded sack full of buds (its what we called thelittle trees) shovel in one hand and water. lunch was the same everyday stale pb&j sandwiches. it got me SO hooked into camping/hiking and just love takinga break from everyday life and getting far away to places where time goes by slower and you're just in awe of whats around you. when you live for so longin such primitive conditions you realize you dont really need the creature comforts of everyday life. you dont need tv for entertainment, you dont need videogames to pass time, you dont need to always drink to have a good time with people and so on. gimme a weekend with 2-3 good friends, a tent, expedition pack, mycameras n lenses and a beater bike over a weekend at a commercial beach and upscale restaurants. its not a very expensive hobby either. a cheap tent can be hadfor less than $50, you dont need a proper pack you can just use what you have ( a duffel + regular backpack), a cheap multi-tool runs $15-20, pair of hikingboots should be the one good investment dont cheap out here, then just whatever beater sweaters n jeans you got. you'll enjoy urself in pristineenvironment without the need for hotel rooms, expensive meals, expensive tourist attractions etc.

i dont like hiking cuz you can slip easily and get hurt... definitely not the same as walking... but i guess if you want exercise and a good view go for it...

*bump
Made this thread damn near three years ago and now look at me...I'm a hiking fool.
laugh.gif
 May as well make this the official hiking thread. NT could use one. Get some fresh air! Anyway..Here's two pictures from yesterdays 6 mile trek...

fc02560e368b1c00477ff6bc14a590ae3d2d67b.jpg

bf63587feaf78f2fcc964b7ff92300d7bb4da53.jpg

Not the greatest view I've seen, but that's the Pacific Northwest fellas. If only you could breathe it in...

I don't do the best job worrying about the best shots or views..Just get up the mountain and down. Next time I'll be more cognizant.

Back
Top Bottom