Official Hiking Thread

"Move to General"?!

Sports & TRAINING

Might get more replies in General, but it would be lulz about hiking through the mall to smash some supermodel who most would pass on because her left pinky is too small and her Jrods are creased.

And then Dirty would most likely move it to S&T, anyways.

once went on a hike with this guy thats loves nature and hes also a lil older like in his 50s. so we hike and it becomes dark and when we are real close to the end of the hike he makes us dance in a circle to some wack music making us feel like indians.

anyways hiking is a good use of time

laugh.gif

I'm'a tell you, mountain biking is BRUTAL. I love it, but DAMN.
laugh.gif

Question: My right knee is terrible and gets swollen easily, would pushing off from the ground put a lot of pressure on my knee?

What shoes SHOULD be worn?
nerd.gif

Uphill may not be so bad for you, but when you're going downhill you put A LOT of stress on your ankles and knees. I run back down because it's so much more work to keep your legs from running rampant.

They have hiking shoes, but I just go up in workout shoes...Still somewhat a novice.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

hiking is awesome except for that one time i blazed, got lost and almost died.
Damn son, more story on this?

Paul, Im planning to hit Rattlesnake soon with my friend. Props on the suggestion

Climbed Mission Peak in the Bay Area with my brother and friends this past Saturday. Definitely not the trek that some of you are making, I'm sure, but it definitely kicked my butt
laugh.gif
can't wait to try it again and other places around here and in LA. Any Bay Area/LA locations you guys can recommend?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

You know what the hardest part about hiking is?

I just want to hear Crooks's answer... 
laugh.gif

I'm gonna start trail running here in a few weeks... best shoes?  I saw a pair of Nike Air Alvord (?) at the factory store the other day for $40...

Hiking is fun, and definitely a lot more demanding than it seems...very peaceful as well. There's a reserve close to my house that always has a bunch of deer roaming around. There's just something about it that's
pimp.gif

living in la is great for hiking. you have plenty of options with nice scenic hikes mixed in with challenging ones depending on what you want to do. did baldy twice last year looking to do a couple more new 10000+ peaks this year before hitting up whitney.
20111022121358.jpg

took about 6 hrs for 11 and half miles going up the ski hut trail and coming down devils backbone. done it going up and down the ski hut trail as well. looking to do it this year from the old baldy trail which is supposedly one of the hardest hikes you can do in la.

aint you from St Paul??? doesnt that mean doing backcountry stuff is ingrained in your blood?

anyways I'm in the market for a hiking backpack

suggestions?
edit: no designer brands por favor 
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Climbed Mission Peak in the Bay Area with my brother and friends this past Saturday. Definitely not the trek that some of you are making, I'm sure, but it definitely kicked my butt
laugh.gif
can't wait to try it again and other places around here and in LA. Any Bay Area/LA locations you guys can recommend?
hike to the hollywood sign

Planning another hiking adventure for tomorrow morning. Went to REI today and spent a lot of money. 

Finally got me some hiking shoes. Threw in a heart rate monitor that I have no idea how to work yet, but I'm ready to rock.

Yea I am definitely going on some hikes this summer. Last year I got a bunch of new equipment through a friend since he got MSR stuff for half price through his forest fire fighting company. Longest I have been on so far is a 4 nighter. Definitely looking to increase that or even start hiking sections of the Pacific Crest Trail. My friend wants to take 3 months off and do the entire thing non stop and I would love to but just don't have that kind of free time and if I do I am going overseas. What are you using for water purifying? First time I went we depended on the Iodine tablets
laugh.gif
Bad idea after the first day. Now i have one of those purifying lights and run water through a purifier to clean out the gunk.

Yoooo...Been a long day or else pics/videos would be displayed. For those in the PNW, I went to Mt. Pilchuck, which I guess is really popular...Noticed, even after arriving later due to getting lost, that there weren't many people there so I became skeptical. Well, that's because half way up it was nothing but snow! Memo was not passed to me , nor did I bother too research this.
Extremely beautiful at the lake we peaked at though...Unreal. I'm posting pics soon. Not to mention we saw a goddamn Avalanche. At first it sounded like thunder, then an airplane....Nope! An Avalanche. Scary, but so damn cool.

Back
Top Bottom