+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

I listened to like 3/4 of the album. Not feeling this album at all and I'm a Jay fan.

Listened front to back and I still gotta keep it at 7/10

Way better than blueprint III

If the two interludes were full tracks and the bey/JT tracks were not on here it'll easily be 9/10

the one thing i see people complaining about this album is his braggadocious raps. what do people want him to rap about though? he's not stuck in the hood slangin anymore, he's dealing with Fame, and he's now a father. he's done it all. if it's done well it doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
I want to hear Jay talk about selling dope..not basquiats and warhols. Its boring...i dnt look at paintings in my free time why do I wanna hear abiut em?

I want to hear Jay talk about selling dope..not basquiats and warhols. Its boring...i dnt look at paintings in my free time why do I wanna hear abiut em?

So you sell dope?

50 Cent talks about drugs and murder.. and he gets crucified for not moving on.

So you sell dope?

No, 50 gets crucified for making BAD music. I think this is the best album in hip-hop thus far, but I still agree. Some more talk about his reflecting on his past would be nice. Just to diversify his subject matter. Lets be real though, at this point I am just being picky. His lyrical content is vastly ahead of the competition that his subject matter is almost irrelevant.

So you sell dope?

No, 50 gets crucified for making BAD music. I think this is the best album in hip-hop thus far, but I still agree. Some more talk about his reflecting on his past would be nice. Just to diversify his subject matter. Lets be real though, at this point I am just being picky. His lyrical content is vastly ahead of the competition that his subject matter is almost irrelevant.
kanye's lyrical content is about the same as well, he just added in way more *****ing about how whites hate black people this time

He name drops Basquiat and Warhol WAY too much. It's like okay we get it, you know about the same famous artists everyone else does... you have Warhol and Basquiat paintings because you're rich.. cool

He's almost cheapening those things to people who actually appreciate art and don't just see it as a status symbol

Last edited:
He name drops Basquiat and Warhol WAY too much. It's like okay we get it, you know about the same famous artists everyone else does... you have Warhol and Basquiat paintings because you're rich.. cool

He's almost cheapening those things to people who actually appreciate art and don't just see it as a status symbol
He's a millionaire, what else its he gonna talk about? If he's not gonna talk about social issues, and **** like that, we're gonna keep getting this type of material out of him. IMO, he needs to hang it up, and just focus on Roc Nation.

It's deeper than him owning Basquiat's painting's. It's more about the comparisons being made.

but its been a while since I've had some Jay stick.
Am I the only one who saw this
sick.gif

And dude def needs to chill with the Basquiat and Hublot refences,

Last edited:
i think Jay mentions Basquiat so much because of his upbringing in NY, so he kind of relates to him. dude used to be a graffiti artist and such. never knew dude was from Brooklyn :lol:

Jean-Michel Basquiat (December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an American artist.[1] He began as an obscure graffiti artist in New York City in the late 1970s and evolved into an acclaimed Neo-expressionist and Primitivist painter by the 1980s.

Throughout his career Basquiat focused on "suggestive dichotomies," such as wealth versus poverty, integration versus segregation, and inner versus outer experience.[2] Basquiat's art utilized a synergy of appropriation, poetry, drawing and painting, which married text and image, abstraction and figuration, and historical information mixed with contemporary critique.[3]

Utilizing social commentary as a "springboard to deeper truths about the individual",[2] Basquiat's paintings also attacked power structures and systems of racism, while his poetics were acutely political and direct in their criticism of colonialism and support for class struggle.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Basquiat

Last edited:
i think Jay mentions Basquiat so much because of his upbringing in NY, so he kind of relates to him. dude used to be a graffiti artist and such. never knew dude was from Brooklyn
laugh.gif

Jean-Michel Basquiat (December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an American artist.[1] He began as an obscure graffiti artist in New York City in the late 1970s and evolved into an acclaimed Neo-expressionist and Primitivist painter by the 1980s.

Throughout his career Basquiat focused on "suggestive dichotomies," such as wealth versus poverty, integration versus segregation, and inner versus outer experience.[2] Basquiat's art utilized a synergy of appropriation, poetry, drawing and painting, which married text and image, abstraction and figuration, and historical information mixed with contemporary critique.[3]

Utilizing social commentary as a "springboard to deeper truths about the individual",[2] Basquiat's paintings also attacked power structures and systems of racism, while his poetics were acutely political and direct in their criticism of colonialism and support for class struggle.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Basquiat
Nah. Dude just doesn't have nothing to talk about.

At this point everyone and their mom knows who Basquiat is and what he stood for. He's not saying anything new by mentioning dudes name over and over like he's dropping knowledge.

Okay, he was a successful black man from humble beginnings who succeeded in a white-dominated environment. Jay is riding dude's name and just beating it into the ground.

He's coming off like he doesn't actually know anything about art and is just namedropping to come across as "high class" and impress critics.. and honestly Jay should be above that. Leave that **** to people like ASAP Rocky.

Last edited:
So you sell dope?

No but I see it everyday and can relate to it much more than paintings and all that other lavish **** he talking about. Its cool sometimes but gives us more about how you came up from nothing, from the gutta, and your road to how you got to the position you're in. Dont get me wrong, the album is nice and he spitting STILL but at this point he wearing #23 suiting up for the Wizards. You still got it but if you not jumping from the free throw line wit a gold chain on, I dnt want it. When I first heard Kendrick album, I couldnt listen to **** else for about 2 weeks. Everything else sounded terrible in comparison. MCHG haven't made me take the Doe B Baby Jesus outta rotation..

At this stage in his career, he should be able to give us that real ****. He said truthfully he wanna rap like Common, well now is your chance, you got the WHOLE world listening now. Tell us about your life *****....its time

anyone knows if there is going to be a s.e/exclusive cd that brings a dvd with the whole "samsung" commercial? im watching all the vids, and really enjoying them.

To those who asked about digital only release , I saw a best buy commercial that said in stories Tuesday

Nah. Dude just doesn't have nothing to talk about.
At this point everyone and their mom knows who Basquiat is and what he stood for. He's not saying anything new by mentioning dudes name over and over like he's dropping knowledge.

Okay, he was a successful black man from humble beginnings who succeeded in a white-dominated environment. Jay is riding dude's name and just beating it into the ground.

He's coming off like he doesn't actually know anything about art and is just namedropping to come across as "high class" and impress critics.. and honestly Jay should be above that. Leave that **** to people like ASAP Rocky.
Both of you should check out this article : http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ean-michel-basquiat-in-magna-carta-holy-grail

It breaks down his constant use of Basquiat. 

Back
Top Bottom