Official Jazz thread

Ornette Coleman - When Will The Blues Leave

RIP to a true maverick.

Ornette Coleman, Jazz Innovator, Dies at 85
By BEN RATLIFFJUNE 11, 2015

The alto saxophonist and composer Ornette Coleman, one of the most powerful and contentious innovators in the history of jazz, died on Thursday morning in Manhattan. He was 85.

The cause was cardiac arrest, a representative of the family said.

Mr. Coleman widened the options in jazz, and helped change its course. Partly through his example in the late 1950s and early ’60s, jazz became less beholden to the rules of harmony and rhythm, and gained more distance from the American songbook repertory. His own music, then and later, became a new form of highly informed folk song: deceptively simple melodies for small groups with an intuitive, collective language, and a strategy for playing without preconceived chord sequences.

Though his early work, a kind of personal answer to Charlie Parker, lay right within jazz — and generated a handful of standards among jazz musicians of the last half-century, he later challenged assumptions about jazz from top to bottom, bringing in his own ideas about instrumentation, process and technical expertise. He was also more voluble and theoretical than John Coltrane, the other great pathbreaker of that era in jazz, and became known as a kind of musician-philosopher, with interests much wider than jazz alone; he was seen as a native avant-gardist, and symbolized the American independent will as effectively as any artist of the last century.

Slight, southern, soft-spoken, Mr. Coleman eventually became a visible part of New York cultural life, attending parties in bright-colored satin suits; even when frail, he attracted attention. He could talk in nonspecific and sometimes baffling language about harmony and ontology; he became famous for utterances that were sometimes disarming in their freshness and clarity, or that began to make sense about the 10th time you read them.

Yet his music usually was not so oblique. At best, it could be for everybody. Very few adult listeners, at this point, would need prompting to understand the appeal of his early songs like “Una Muy Bonita” (bright, bouncy) and “Lonely Woman” (tragic, flamenco-esque). His run of records for Atlantic near the beginning of his career — especially “The Shape of Jazz to Come,” “Change of the Century,” and “This Is Our Music” — pushed through skepticism, ridicule and condescension, as well as advocacy, to become recognized as some of the greatest records in jazz history.

Last edited:
Robert Glasper - So Beautiful ( Musiq Soulchild cover)

His new album of covers called "Covers) just dropped. Very very good release.

Below are his summer tour dates for his trio...

June 17 – El Rey Theatre – Los Angeles, CA
June 19-20 – SFJAZZ – San Francisco, CA
June 23 – Jane Mallett Theatre – Toronto, ONT
June 24-27 – Blue Note Jazz Club – New York, NY
June 28 – Montreal Jazz Festival – Montreal, QB
July 5 – Essence Festival – New Orleans, LA
July 8-9 – Festival Int’l de Jazz de Canaria – Canary Islands, Spain
July 10 – Malaga Jazz Festival – Malaga, Spain
July 12 – Cracovia Jazz – Krakow, Poland
July 13 – Jazz Tibet Club – Olomouc, Czech Republic
July 16 – Umbria Jazz Fest – Perugia, Italy
July 18 – Gretchen Club – Berlin, Germany
July 19 – Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld – Cologne, Germany
July 20 – New Morning – Paris, France
July 21 – Granada Jazz Festival – Granada, Spain
July 25 – Langnau Jazz Nights – Langnau, Switzerland
July 26 – Locus Festival – Bari, Italy
July 28 – Tuscia Jazz – Rome, Italy
July 29 – Blue Note Jazz Club – Milan, Italy
July 31 – Nefertiti Jazz Club – Gothenberg, Sweden
August 1 – Faschings – Stockholm, Sweden
August 2 – Ystad Jazz Festival – Ystad, Sweden
August 4 – Mas Sorrer Jazz Bar – Girona, Spain
August 6 – North Sea Jazz Club – Amsterdam, Netherlands
August 7 – Chapiteau – Marciac, France
August 8 – Manchester Jazz Festival – Manchester, United Kingdom
August 9 – Brecon Market Hall – Brecon, United Kingdom
August 10 – Edinburgh International Fest – Edinburgh, United Kingdom
August 12-14 – Ronnie Scott’s – London, United Kingdom
August 15 – Chastain Park Amphitheatre – Atlanta, GA

Jon Batiste - Express Yourself

Had no idea Steve Colbert hired Batiste as his band/music leader... He does Louisiana & his family proud... I've seen him live & his band/performances are killer affairs. His family's band The Batiste Bros Band is a killer live performer too... Can't wait to see what he does on Colbert's show.

Kamasi Washington - Leroy and Lanisha

Not my cup of tea bradnsu bradnsu , but good to see new cats in here.

I've been steady listening to this album by Kendrick Lamar's boy & Glasper's new covers release.

Washington's album cover might be an all time great cover... It's just so out there & projects all kinds of vibes that fits the flow of his audacious album... His album hits me the same way that Radiohead does (which is a great thing).

Stevie Ray Vaugn - Riviera Paradise

I've posted this before. Not really jazz but appropriate for the thread. RIP to one of the illest dudes ever to come outta Texas.

Tuck Andress - Europa

Carlos Santana said he had tears when he listed to this cover by Tuck Andress because he was so moved. Posting this song again. Love the use of harmonics in his guitar playing... Crazy how melodic this guy's playing is & how he doesn't need a band to back him... It's like there's a rhythm inside a rhythm in his playing.

Tuck & Patti - Castles Made Of Sand/Little Wing

Tuck with his wife... Great Hendrix medley.

Last edited:
Robert Glasper - The Worst (Jhene Aiko cover)

The vid I posted above is no longer available on that post so I'm posting it again.

Robert Glasper - I Don't Even Care

Glasper just dropped this on his YT channel... It's a reworking of a song from Black Radio 2.

I've only been listening to music from this topic.

I really need to go check out more shows at NYC jazz clubs.

I bet there are some really nice ones there. That's one thing I wish we had where I live. There's only place that has local musicians play every once in a while but it's a restaurant first so the music is really an afterthought

Robert Glasper - I'm Dying Of Thirst (Kendrick Lamar cover).

Thread needed a bump. One of my favorite releases this year regardless of genre.

It's been 1 year since the NYPD murdered Eric Garner by chocking him to death. It's hard to believe within that year, we've seen the murders of Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, Sandra Bland, & the nine church-goers in Charleston, as well as the non-indictment of Darren Wilson for the murder of Michael Brown.

Here's a recent quote from Glasper regarding his view of today in light of these events -

When problems occur in the world, I don’t think of protecting myself. I think about protecting my son. I used my son and his friends on this song because it hits you a different way coming from a child. Makes you realize how ****** up things are. We were once children and the children will one day be adults. The world is dying of thirst… and for love. Understanding.

Found this album a couple weeks ago and I really liked it. She reminds me of Yukimi Nagano from Little Dragons so that's probably why I've been enjoying it so much

The group and album are called Twin Danger. Also learned Stuart Matthewman is the saxophonist and he co-wrote a couple Sade songs, "Your Love is King" and "No Ordinary Love"

Twin Danger - I Love Loving You

Last edited:
Bump.  It's been too long.

Still one of my favs after hearing it for the first time over 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom