Official Jazz thread

Clark Terry - As You Desire Me

RIP. Terry passed away at the age of 94. I read Wynton Marsalis visited Terry as often as possible within the last month & was present when he passed. What I loved about Terry the most was that he was a champion about jazz education. He held a hundreds of clinics over the last 20 years teaching & mentoring young musicians so much so that he was the focus of a documentary Keep On Keepin' On...

Keep On Keepin' On

Last edited:
Good stuff.

In honor of Lady Gaga's amazing performance at the Oscars...

But sticking with jazz................

Justin Hurwitz - Fletcher's Song In Club (Whiplash Soundtrack)

"I tell ya man, there are no two words in the English language more harmful than: good job."

J

Bill Evans - Blue & Green & Peace Piece

Dayna Stephens - Peace

I have this album. Bought it when I saw he worked with Gretchen Parlato. It's really a beautiful record. Very sad to see Stephens is in need of liver transplant & also help with medical costs.

Please help if you can. The link is provided below as well as t he video put together by his friends/fellow musicians.

http://helpdaynastephens.org/

Esperanza Spalding & Gretchen Parlato - Inutil Paisagem

Speaking of Gretchen Parlato... Had to post this beautiful cover/interpretation of the Antonio Carlos Jobim classic.

Elis & Tom - Inutil Paisagem (Elis Regina & Antonio Carlos Jobim)

NEXT Collective - Twice (Little Dragon cover) & Africa (D'Angelo cover)

I got this album when it released back in 2013 but didn't listen to it as much as I should've. This group had some really talented young cats doing covers they liked including saxophonists Logan Richardson & Walter Smith III, guitarist Matthew Stevens, keyboardists Gerald Clayton and Kris Bowers, bassist Ben Williams (DC ya'll!!!), drummer Jamire Williams, & trumpeter Christian Scott.

I really like this album & regret not listening to it more.

Heard this on the radio driving home tonight, something about it really struck a chord with me. Loved it after one listen

Archie Shepp "Good bye sweet pops"

Last edited:
Roy Hargrove - Everybody Wants to Be a Cat & Strasbourg St. Denis

Get well soon brother. Looking forward to hearing some new stuff from ya.

Damn... haven't been in here in a bit and there are 14 new posts!

What happened to Roy Hargrove?  

I've probably told this story in here, but I got to see him live once w/ Herbie Hancock.  During the autograph session (I had brought my HeadHunters record along with Roy's Tokyo Sessions CD, which was one of my first jazz albums), Roy accidentally started signing my HeadHunters record.  He quickly realized it and stopped...  We laughed about it, and so now my HeadHunters record has Herbie's auto plus a bit of Roy's. 
laugh.gif

Anyway...

A while ago, his label announced Roy was going on hiatus after recording & touring relentlessly as well as doing tons of side projects with the likes of Eric Clapton, D'Angelo, Jill Scott, John Mayer, Erykah Badu. Q -Tip etc.

Rumors started popping up prior about drug & alcohol problem which culminated in his arrested around this time last year of cocaine possession. He was supposed to go into rehab but I don't think he did...

Again, I wish the brother well & hope to see him back soon... Something a lil different... Roy with Tip & Erykah Badu....

Charles Mingus - Haitian Fight Song

One of the greatest if not the greatest base lines in jazz.

Mingus said of this song -

It has a folk spirit, the kind of folk music I've always heard anyway... My solo in it it's a deeply concentrated one. I can't play it right unless I'm thinking about prejudice and persecution, and how unfair is it. There's sadness and cries in it, but also determination. And it usually ends with my feeling 'I told them! I hope somebody heard me!

Wasn't that Mingus cut in Jerry Maguire or something? 

Nice Serbian tunes... who knew?! 

Anyway... Heard this the other day... not really quite jazz, but it was nice.

Back
Top Bottom