Official Lakers at Suns Game 4| Lakers lead (2-1)

Originally Posted by Jonnny25

Originally Posted by knightngale

I don't see how the suns have figured out the Lakers. Lakers shot 50% from the field tonight.

The big difference in these games have been the free throws and fouls. Yes the lakers got lazy and got outrebounded but I think that all stems from the refs frustration.

I will give credit to the suns if they can win LA shooting less free throws and getting less BS fouls.

same goes for the lakers. the type of fouls they called on grant hill in game 1 were horrendous
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. Refs need to call it even on the road because it was all lakers in games 1-2
it is not the same thing

suns shot 10 more fts in game 1
lakers shot 8 more  than the suns in game 2

suns 77 to lakers 33 in games 3 and 4 combined

for a soft and finesse team like the suns to be getting so many free throws is ridiculous

how can you attempt nearly 30 3 pointers per game and still be awarded 30+ free throws per game?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

I think Phil should play Sasha in game 5 just so we can have some better shooters on the floor to help against the zone.

This is maybe the only time I will EVER want Sasha on the floor. Can't keep kicking the ball to Artest and LO for wide open shots and having them throw up brick after brick.

Kobe seemed really pissed in his postgame. He was right though, the offense is fine, they need to get back to the basics of defense.

i don't blame him one bit at all. their the defending champs and expect them to come out like the defending champs would on thursday.  the next 3 weeks will determine if their going to be like all the other one and done champs we've had ever since the 3 peat Lakers were dethroned in 2003.  when i mean one and done, i mean as in not being able to successfuly defend your title and repeat because i'm aware the Spurs won 2 more times after 2003 but they never repeated. Repeating would put the Lakers above all those one and done teams imo.

i'm not really worried though going into game 5.  i've been really worried before as a Laker fan and being tied 2-2 in a series with 2 of the next 3 games at staples is nothing compared to the feeling i had when the Lakers were down 15 in the 4th quarter of a game 7 10 years ago, or the feeling when mike bibby hit a shot to put his team up 3-2 knowing the Lakers would have to go win a game 7 in a crazy arco arena if they were to advance, hell you can say i was more worried last year at this time when the Denver series was 2-2 because Denver competed hard in games 1-4 of that series and had the Lakers on the ropes in that game 5 at Staples for a while as well.

thursdays going to come and the Lakers are going to come out strong and hopefully this series can be 3-2 Lakers in about 46 hours.

Originally Posted by yallayalla

artest with 1-5 from 3
smh.gif

Alright, I gotta get this off my chest.  Whenever I watch the Lakers, and that's not often, Artest NEVER makes a 3.  I see him shoot at least two or three while watching, and it never goes in 
laugh.gif
.  I get rather upset like come on Ron I want and root for him to make one.  This post is rather pointless, but I had to say it.  Peace my dudes.

ClevelandsPrince23 wrote:

quick question  that's un Lakers/Suns related.   How do you live in Cleveland and like the Ravens. I'm just curious, I'm not trying to get on you or nothing about that but I coulda swore everyone in Cleveland despised the Ravens for them leaving Cleveland back in 1995

Kobe was the only one who came to play today. The rest of the Lakers just didn't show up. I still think LA will win this series but now that its tied up who knows what will happen. We all saw what happened in 06.

Kobe went off 2 games in a row, no one else showed up though

they need to wake the %##$ up on Thursday. Extremely big game for both teams.

Originally Posted by VegasHustla

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Best of 3 series now...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Not enough of those to explain how I feel right now. It's going to be harder than hell to win a game in LA, but we do have a series again.

I would be shocked if this thing did not go 7. But the way the Suns are rolling right now, anything is possible!

Finally got the time to watch the game.

Game notes

- Collins said team that wins turnover battle wins game (Lakers-6; Suns-7)
- Kobe cheated on pick n roll; almost gets steal, but gives up Hill jumper
-- hope other guys do the same (jump the pass to the post)
- miss foul JRich over the back on Gasol when going for rebound
- Kobe doesn't get foul call in bump when trying to dribble through double = TO
- bad foul on Gasol pushing Amar'e's arm away; Collins calls it incidental contact
- bad touch/phantom foul Amar'e on Gasol (make up?)
- missed blatant hold Nash on Odom leads to 2 FTs by Frye
- 4/6 against zone 19-14 Lakers
- another hold goes uncalled Dudley on Walton rebound attempt
- make up? Call Dudley on Gasol rebound attempt
- Gasol picks up 2nd foul on over the back (good call); 19-18 Lakers
- made jumper at elbow by Odom! (may never type that again)

21-21 end of 1st quarter

- bad 3 by Kobe against zone
- Brown slaps Kobe in face on block attempt
- zone killing Lakers w/ Artest & Gasol on bench
- Suns bench outplaying Lakers bench
- pick n roll w/ Dragic and Frye killing (Odom not showing) Lakers
- Frye hits 3
frown.gif

- Frye misses 3
smile.gif

- Odom misses right handed lay up
- 28 (11/15) bench points for Suns after Lakers lose Barbosa giving up wide open 3 (47-37 Suns)
- Lakers not running triangle against zone
- 5th horrible camera angle (behind fans' hands)
- Lakers within 6 but giving up wide open 3s on every possession (56-47 Suns)
- gotta let Nash get lay ups instead of giving them wide open 3s
- Odom losing every "hands" battle for ball
- Bench 34-11 Suns
- Gasol keeps cutting behind zone so there's no passing lane

End 2nd 64-55 Suns

Story of the half is that Lakers bigs aren't putting pressure on Suns ball handlers on defense and are out of position on offense against zone.

- No help for Pau against Amar'e
-- have to attack Amar'e as soon as he pits the ball on the floor
- no one for Bynum to pass to when he's doubled leads to TO
- Lopez beats Gasol for offensive rebound & bucket
- Bynum shows on pick-n-roll but Kobe doesn't box out Amar'e on Nash shot so Bynum picks up foul reaching
- not enough screening or driving by Lakers against zone even though they've had success
- Odom for wide open 3 against zone (misses); where's the drive?
- Kobe finds Odom after good cut by Odom
- Amar'e still making wide open 15-17-footers (D. Howard take note!)
- Odom finally helps Pau on D; leads to jump ball w/ Amar'e
- Pau misses Brown on double team after Farmar executes first good entry pass of the night by the Lakers
- the iPad is magical
- Lakers bigs not fighting for position on rebounds
- Farmar on sideline chasing ball, small tap on back by Lou sends him out of bounds? Is the call made if he flops?
(87-89 Suns)
- back-to-back fouls against Lakers for bumps
- Odom leaves Frye wide open with shot clock winding down & he hits 3
- no push in the back called on Dudley for push in back of Bynum dunk
- Lakers allowing Dragic running start to offense leads to more open 3s
- 89-98 Suns
- Artest dishes to Fish for 3 (miss) instead of taking open 2 in lane
- Gasol air ball on foul, but no call
- Lakers not cutting when Pau gets doubled
- Lou and Amar'e both run Fish over, but no foul called; Amar'e steamroll definitely looked like a foul
- Odom misses contested 3
- Amar'e gets foul driving on Pau (50/50)
- Kobe fouled twice by Nash, ref' calls 2nd
- JRich flops driving up sideline where Farmar didn't earlier in game, gets call against Kobe
- Kobe scoring at will, but teammates didn't look for him in 4th
- Odom drives past Amar'e but passes on 6-footer to give Pau the ball; Pau proceeds to miss 2-footer
-- remind Chuck and others making declarations about Kobe's help being best in NBA

Final 115-106 Suns

Let's hope Lakers crowd does a good job. Farmar used to tear up zone in the past.  Not sure why he isn't driving now.  Lakers not swinging the ball, setting screens, or attacking the hoop.

Suns were +15 on rebounds (+5 on ORebs)
Suns were +19 on FTAs (+15 on FTMs)
Suns +2 on 3PMs (6 points)
Nash -9
Dragic +18

Lakers +10 points in the paint
Lakers +2 in assists
Artest & Gasol +10
Brown -21

Twitter notes

@KevinDing: Kobe was grim-faced after loss and unhappy about Lakers inattentiveness to defense b/c of focus on zone offense.

@lazenby: What did Riley say? No rebounds, no rings. Suns owned the boards 51-36.

@lazenby: Artest 3 reb and Gasol 5 in about 35 min each. That's not getting it done.

@KevinDing: Phil Jackson: "It seemed every time we went near them, they fell down."

@SportsfanPJ: Free throw differential. Orlando +44 Phoenix +18 Boston -4 Los Angeles -87 (#16 of 16 from all playoff teams).

@LakersReporter Bryant, shot 68% from the field (15-of-22) 38 pts w/11 dimes, 7 reb; Game 3 he had 36, 11 & 9.

@LakersReporter Lakers are 13-0-1 winning from the field, 5-9 winning from the line.

@vincecathomas Phil: "We shot 49%. I don't think we're struggling against the zone. I think we're struggling on defense."

@LakerGMC In 7 road games, the Lakers are +68 from the field, -95 from the line. They are +18 from the field, -36 from the line in Phoenix.

@KevinDing Phil Jackson: "It seemed every time we went near them, they fell down."

@LakerGMC Lakers are 13-0-1 outscoring their opponents from the field (tied Utah G2), 5-9 outscoring them from the line.

@sportsguy33 Jedi mind trick at work: LA Games 1 + 2: 81-133 2FG, 15-33 3FG, 58 FTA. LA Games 3 + 4: 69-118 2FG, 18-60 3FG, 33 FTA.

@vincecathomas Just know that it aint this zone. LA's scoring fine. But they're not stopping the Suns. Until LA plays D, we got a series.

Originally Posted by Bleezys and Heem

Kobe was the only one who came to play today. The rest of the Lakers just didn't show up. I still think LA will win this series but now that its tied up who knows what will happen. We all saw what happened in 06.

word... i hope he quits like a $*@%% again if the series does go to a game 7

this. aside from the Lakers obvious defensive woes, Pau/Artest/etc played selfishly in the 4th and didnt look to get Kobe the ball when it was a close game.

Im glad to finally see the Suns play the way they've been playing all year! They deserve a shot at a championship ring although I highly doubt they will knock out Boston if they do make it!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
holdenmichael wrote:

Finally got the time to watch the game.

Game notes

- Collins said team that wins turnover battle wins game (Lakers-6; Suns-7)
- Kobe cheated on pick n roll; almost gets steal, but gives up Hill jumper
-- hope other guys do the same (jump the pass to the post)
- miss foul JRich over the back on Gasol when going for rebound
- Kobe doesn't get foul call in bump when trying to dribble through double = TO
- bad foul on Gasol pushing Amar'e's arm away; Collins calls it incidental contact
- bad touch/phantom foul Amar'e on Gasol (make up?)
- missed blatant hold Nash on Odom leads to 2 FTs by Frye
- 4/6 against zone 19-14 Lakers
- another hold goes uncalled Dudley on Walton rebound attempt
- make up? Call Dudley on Gasol rebound attempt
- Gasol picks up 2nd foul on over the back (good call); 19-18 Lakers
- made jumper at elbow by Odom! (may never type that again)

21-21 end of 1st quarter

- bad 3 by Kobe against zone
- Brown slaps Kobe in face on block attempt
- zone killing Lakers w/ Artest & Gasol on bench
- Suns bench outplaying Lakers bench
- pick n roll w/ Dragic and Frye killing (Odom not showing) Lakers
- Frye hits 3
frown.gif

- Frye misses 3
smile.gif

- Odom misses right handed lay up
- 28 (11/15) bench points for Suns after Lakers lose Barbosa giving up wide open 3 (47-37 Suns)
- Lakers not running triangle against zone
- 5th horrible camera angle (behind fans' hands)
- Lakers within 6 but giving up wide open 3s on every possession (56-47 Suns)
- gotta let Nash get lay ups instead of giving them wide open 3s
- Odom losing every "hands" battle for ball
- Bench 34-11 Suns
- Gasol keeps cutting behind zone so there's no passing lane

End 2nd 64-55 Suns

Story of the half is that Lakers bigs aren't putting pressure on Suns ball handlers on defense and are out of position on offense against zone.

- No help for Pau against Amar'e
-- have to attack Amar'e as soon as he pits the ball on the floor
- no one for Bynum to pass to when he's doubled leads to TO
- Lopez beats Gasol for offensive rebound & bucket
- Bynum shows on pick-n-roll but Kobe doesn't box out Amar'e on Nash shot so Bynum picks up foul reaching
- not enough screening or driving by Lakers against zone even though they've had success
- Odom for wide open 3 against zone (misses); where's the drive?
- Kobe finds Odom after good cut by Odom
- Amar'e still making wide open 15-17-footers (D. Howard take note!)
- Odom finally helps Pau on D; leads to jump ball w/ Amar'e
- Pau misses Brown on double team after Farmar executes first good entry pass of the night by the Lakers
- the iPad is magical
- Lakers bigs not fighting for position on rebounds
- Farmar on sideline chasing ball, small tap on back by Lou sends him out of bounds? Is the call made if he flops?
(87-89 Suns)
- back-to-back fouls against Lakers for bumps
- Odom leaves Frye wide open with shot clock winding down & he hits 3
- no push in the back called on Dudley for push in back of Bynum dunk
- Lakers allowing Dragic running start to offense leads to more open 3s
- 89-98 Suns
- Artest dishes to Fish for 3 (miss) instead of taking open 2 in lane
- Gasol air ball on foul, but no call
- Lakers not cutting when Pau gets doubled
- Lou and Amar'e both run Fish over, but no foul called; Amar'e steamroll definitely looked like a foul
- Odom misses contested 3
- Amar'e gets foul driving on Pau (50/50)
- Kobe fouled twice by Nash, ref' calls 2nd
- JRich flops driving up sideline where Farmar didn't earlier in game, gets call against Kobe
- Odom drives past Amar'e but passes on 6-footer to give Pau the ball; Pau proceeds to miss 2-footer
-- remind Chuck and others making declarations about Kobe's help being best in NBA

Final 115-106 Suns

Let's hope Lakers crowd does a good job. Farmar used to tear up zone in the past.  Not sure why he isn't driving now.  Lakers not swinging the ball, setting screens, or attacking the hoop.

Suns were +15 on rebounds (+5 on ORebs)
Suns were +19 on FTAs (+15 on FTMs)
Suns +2 on 3PMs (6 points)
Nash -9
Dragic +18

Lakers +10 points in the paint
Lakers +2 in assists
Artest & Gasol +10
Brown -21

Twitter notes

@KevinDing: Kobe was grim-faced after loss and unhappy about Lakers inattentiveness to defense b/c of focus on zone offense.

@lazenby: What did Riley say? No rebounds, no rings. Suns owned the boards 51-36.

@lazenby: Artest 3 reb and Gasol 5 in about 35 min each. That's not getting it done.

@KevinDing: Phil Jackson: "It seemed every time we went near them, they fell down."

@SportsfanPJ: Free throw differential. Orlando +44 Phoenix +18 Boston -4 Los Angeles -87 (#16 of 16 from all playoff teams).

@LakersReporter Bryant, shot 68% from the field (15-of-22) 38 pts w/11 dimes, 7 reb; Game 3 he had 36, 11 & 9.

@LakersReporter Lakers are 13-0-1 winning from the field, 5-9 winning from the line.

@vincecathomas Phil: "We shot 49%. I don't think we're struggling against the zone. I think we're struggling on defense."

@LakerGMC In 7 road games, the Lakers are +68 from the field, -95 from the line. They are +18 from the field, -36 from the line in Phoenix.

@KevinDing Phil Jackson: "It seemed every time we went near them, they fell down."

@LakerGMC Lakers are 13-0-1 outscoring their opponents from the field (tied Utah G2), 5-9 outscoring them from the line.

@sportsguy33 Jedi mind trick at work: LA Games 1 + 2: 81-133 2FG, 15-33 3FG, 58 FTA. LA Games 3 + 4: 69-118 2FG, 18-60 3FG, 33 FTA.

@vincecathomas Just know that it aint this zone. LA's scoring fine. But they're not stopping the Suns. Until LA plays D, we got a series.

Thanks. Felt like I watched the game. LOL

This is the one time...against the one team...where Ariza would be more effective than Artest. Should LA meet with Boston in the Finals...then Artest will probably be more effective (at least on D)

Who cares if Artest shot 1-5 from three or if Sasha needs to play more?  The zone had nothing to do with LA's problems last night.  They shot 50% from the damn floor. 
roll.gif

They played no D and didn't rebound, that's why they lost.  Screw the zone, that had very little impact on the outcome.  

Originally Posted by ehh

Who cares if Artest shot 1-5 from three or if Sasha needs to play more?  The zone had nothing to do with LA's problems last night.  They shot 50% from the damn floor. 
roll.gif

They played no D and didn't rebound, that's why they lost.  Screw the zone, that had very little impact on the outcome.  
This is where watching the actual game trumps what the stats tell you.
In the 4th, Lakers had to struggle to get shots off.  Pau and Bynum had trouble with the hard doubles that the Suns pushed at them.

For the Lakers to have won that game, they needed to do a couple of things:

1st, Better defensive rebounding/boxing out.  Giving the Suns as many shots as they did.  There was one rebound in the 2nd half where Amare was surrounded by 3 Lakers and still came up with the offensive rebound.  That shouldn't happen at the NBA level.

2nd, The role players need to hit their open shots.  The Suns thrive off running off missed shots and a big part of the reason why the Suns looked completely outclassed the first 2 games was because of the made shots Farmar, Artest, and Odom were hitting.  When they're hitting shots (which happens rarely), it slows the Suns down just a bit and allows the D to get back.

The Suns did play D, with the hard doubles on Pau and Kobe.  They decided to let Artest and Odom try to beat them and those two weren't able to.

its not our offense im worried about its our lack of energy on defense and they way we got outrebounded

with that said...the suns did what theyre supposed to do and thats win on their floor now we gotta continue to win in ours

its 2-2 no need to press the panic yet...lets worry if we get down 2-3 heading to phx

the phx bench killed us they played very well and before the series started i did say thats what will kill us

smh.gif
--Im not an analyst. But PHX got this. I dont see their shooting cooling down anytime soon.
--And the Lakers cant overcome the zone overnight. As proven last night.

Back
Top Bottom