**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

I guess I'm the only one who backs Lu on this.

Why would you ask someone who's clearly not in agreement with our president to perform at an Inauguration Celebration?!? Its not hard to find out his stance on the POTUS or the government. You should NEVER hire Lupe to perform at a political event just on the fact that he may perform "Words I Never Said" along with other tracks. Lupe has been consistent with his stance on just about everything. To want him to be quiet about something he feels this strongly about would be asking him "Stop be you for about 15 to 20 minutes to appease people." The content in his music is against that very concept. I guess they figured he wasn't about the life that his music speaks about like most hip-hop artist. I understand that what he did is disrespectful, but you can expect everybody to be robots. I'm guessing he felt like it was an insult to ask him to perform, so he just returned the favor...

Just my thoughts on it...

SALUTE Lu

Originally Posted by mikedob33  

The content in his music is against that very concept.

SALUTE Lu
Nah it isn't, LASERS proved that Lupe was willing to do what labels say. Same thing with the Hip Hop Honors situation, dude was willing to perform their lyrics in tribute to them when fool wasn't even feeling them like that. Dude just outta nowhere feel lile he gotta let ppl know his political views and it's just sad.

I mean if you put yourself in his shoes what other way would you want somebody to prove a point. He went somewhere that was celebrating politics and voiced his displeasure with the way it is in front of actual people and shared emotion. Would ya;ll rather him have went on a twitter Rant?

He got his point across and its now a topic of conversation... sometimes things have to go beyond being a business move

I mean if you put yourself in his shoes what other way would you want somebody to prove a point. He went somewhere that was celebrating politics and voiced his displeasure with the way it is in front of actual people and shared emotion. Would ya;ll rather him have went on a twitter Rant?

He got his point across and its now a topic of conversation... sometimes things have to go beyond being a business move
The song was already talked about when it released as a single, had a video, and performed at tours. This was immature of Lu.

Lupe's a very intelligent guy, he should of stopped doing music a long time ago though. I don't think that's the correct medium to get his message across anymore. He needs to be teaching and lecturing at Universities.

Nah it isn't, LASERS proved that Lupe was willing to do what labels say. Same thing with the Hip Hop Honors situation, dude was willing to perform their lyrics in tribute to them when fool wasn't even feeling them like that. Dude just outta nowhere feel lile he gotta let ppl know his political views and it's just sad.

I feel what you saying fam... But with that, he has said he hates Lasers because of that. How I see it is that he can make albums that he doesn't like because of his "contract" with Atlantic, but refuse to back a movement he is clearly against. In Lasers and F&L 2 he has stated his disgust with the govt. clearly. Why would you ask somebody like this to perform at THIS event?? And why should he not take a stand on it if they get him to perform??

The things that he doesn't agree with in politics effect more people than his gripes with music... Politics are more of a passion for him than the music that someone listens to

Lupe's a very intelligent guy, he should of stopped doing music a long time ago though. I don't think that's the correct medium to get his message across anymore. He needs to be teaching and lecturing at Universities.
I think you are giving him too much credit. I know I wouldnt pay tuition to hear this man speak.
Lectures? No. Web Vlog; probably more his speed.

Last edited:
The song was already talked about when it released as a single, had a video, and performed at tours. This was immature of Lu.

I agree that it was immature and not the way to handle it. I don't have a problem with political sounds but what did Lupe actually prove with doing this?!

There are many things I agree with Lupe on politically and some things that I don't. However, my problem with Lupe is that he like many others just complain and vent rather than doing anything to change the situation. If Lupe really wants change in politics then why doesn't he do something substantial like run for office and start small on a local level and make a true impact?! Sure I know the political system is not the best and messed up and I am not saying he would have a major impact but some impact/change is better than showings like this were NOTHING is accomplished.

I agree that it was immature and not the way to handle it. I don't have a problem with political sounds but what did Lupe actually prove with doing this?!

There are many things I agree with Lupe on politically and some things that I don't. However, my problem with Lupe is that he like many others just complain and vent rather than doing anything to change the situation. If Lupe really wants change in politics then why doesn't he do something substantial like run for office and start small on a local level and make a true impact?! Sure I know the political system is not the best and messed up and I am not saying he would have a major impact but some impact/change is better than showings like this were NOTHING is accomplished.
Because then he wouldn't appease to all the Twitter/Armchair revolutionaries.

No offense to anybody in here, but most of the ppl that I see backing Lupe's antics are regular *** people who live regular *** lives, but somehow feel enlightened by saying "I didn't vote, (insert random foreign policy issue they know nothing about), the gov't is trying to kill us and take way our rights."  

Lupe is the voice of the "fake revolutionary" right now.

Last edited:

No offense to anybody in here, but most of the ppl that I see backing Lupe's antics are regular *** people who live regular *** lives, but somehow feel enlightened by saying "I didn't vote, (insert random foreign policy issue they no nothing about), the gov't is trying to kill us and take way our rights."  

EXACTLY the way I feel.  

Go on Twitter and look at all the mindless idiots co-signing this nonsense like Lupe just sonned the world.  What did him doing that accomplish besides people talking about Lupe?  Absolutely NOTHING.  But supposedly he stood up to the establishment and is being revolutionary?

I'd ask this--do artists get paid to do these types of shows?  If so, is Obama's agenda not bad enough that you can still take the money that is undoubtedly tied to Obama somehow?  Or does performing your anti-Obama song cleanse you of taking the establishment's money?  

I have no issue with Lupe's views.  None at all.  I respect his right to voice his opinion.  This isn't about that, and that's what all the mindless ***** on Twitter can't recognize.  Do people really think that they were just gonna let him rock like that at an Obama event and not intervene?  REALLY?  Freedom of speech doesn't give you free reign to berate someone repeatedly, does it?  Especially when you're on THEIR turf.  What did you illuminated heads think was gonna happen?  At a private function, freedom of speech doesn't mean that  you can just say what the hell you want without consequence.  
laugh.gif
  Think of it like NT--can you pop off and say whatever you want to whomever you want and not expect to get dealt with by Meth?  Nope.  

EXACTLY the way I feel.  

Go on Twitter and look at all the mindless idiots co-signing this nonsense like Lupe just sonned the world.  What did him doing that accomplish besides people talking about Lupe?  Absolutely NOTHING.  But supposedly he stood up to the establishment and is being revolutionary?

I'd ask this--do artists get paid to do these types of shows?  If so, is Obama's agenda not bad enough that you can still take the money that is undoubtedly tied to Obama somehow?  Or does performing your anti-Obama song cleanse you of taking the establishment's money?  

I have no issue with Lupe's views.  None at all.  I respect his right to voice his opinion.  This isn't about that, and that's what all the mindless ***** on Twitter can't recognize.  Do people really think that they were just gonna let him rock like that at an Obama event and not intervene?  REALLY?  Freedom of speech doesn't give you free reign to berate someone repeatedly, does it?  Especially when you're on THEIR turf.  What did you illuminated heads think was gonna happen?  At a private function, freedom of speech doesn't mean that  you can just say what the hell you want without consequence.  
laugh.gif
  Think of it like NT--can you pop off and say whatever you want to whomever you want and not expect to get dealt with by Meth?  Nope.  
Thing is it ain't even bout his "freedom of speech" its about the fact it was a concert and he replayed the same verse for THIRTY MINUTES 
laugh.gif

Like seriously, if he had replayed ANY song that long they would've kicked him off stage.

How I see it is that he can make albums that he doesn't like because of his "contract" with Atlantic, but refuse to back a movement he is clearly against. In Lasers and F&L 2 he has stated his disgust with the govt. clearly. Why would you ask somebody like this to perform at THIS event?? And why should he not take a stand on it if they get him to perform??
Becuase you would think dude would be doing his job. Yeah Lupe said he didn't like LASERS but he still promoted it and said he liked it. Lupe doesn't like clubbing but will he still perform at one? Yep. I really dont see how this is different and besides Kenderick Lamar I cant think of another rapper with a positive catalog. This isn't him taking a stand it's him being naive, dude didn't even go out swinging fool smiled and chunked tha deuce what type of rebel is that.

No offense to anybody in here, but most of the ppl that I see backing Lupe's antics are regular *** people who live regular *** lives, but somehow feel enlightened by saying "I didn't vote, (insert random foreign policy issue they know nothing about), the gov't is trying to kill us and take way our rights."  

:lol: at "fake revolutionary"

Well put and I agree 100% with what you said. I don't see how you can be logical/rational and back Lupe's antics.

WIll there ever be another album from him like Food & Liquor or The Cool?

Hes my 2nd favorite rapper. I actually thought him adding a little rock into his music was fine but now he has NO type of hip-hop in his music. Hes too far gone. Too many antics, ranting and preaching in his music. Its cool to be politically active in your music but SHEESH, we get the point Lupe! Tracks like Dumb It Down were perfect but subtle, but we got Hood Now sounding like an old man bashing everything young people like to do. :smh:

Becuase you would think dude would be doing his job. Yeah Lupe said he didn't like LASERS but he still promoted it and said he liked it. Lupe doesn't like clubbing but will he still perform at one? Yep. I really dont see how this is different and besides Kenderick Lamar I cant think of another rapper with a positive catalog. This isn't him taking a stand it's him being naive, dude didn't even go out swinging fool smiled and chunked tha deuce what type of rebel is that.
That "fake revolutionary" line.....
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom