Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

Okay, I lied. Maybe top 9.

Had to check myself there.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

that's how bad the HW division in a old randy he pretty much is done can contend with the best in the division and don't tell me ooh he was dominatedthe whole fight Brock got a lucky punch on randy and had no technique im not gonna say Brock isn't improving but im saying you guys are turning into peoplewho talk about how " ooh lebron got MVP this year and hes not even at his peak not EVEN NEAR" all i am saying is Brock can't get much stronger hecant get much faster he can get a little more technical but he will be how Kongo is on the ground light years behind everyone

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

I'm not disagreeing with you here but then lets take a look at Lesnar's record and the claims of "he's really good".

1-1 vs. Mir.
Fought a no.9 who was 50 lbs lighter and didn't exactly dominate.
Fought 2 cans.

Lesnar is a combination of a hype job and a weak HW division. I'm not saying Lesnar sucks but let's take his MMA career thus far for what it is.

Again, it's not a question of whether Lesnar can improve but how much he can improve. Claiming that he can only improve leaps and bounds has no standing.
If that was true then all prospects would become great champions (winners) in their respective sports.

Considering Lesnar's age and when he got started in the sport, odds are against him substantially improving anything.
It takes years to perfect the neuro connections and technique to compete at the top level in any sport.

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

that's how bad the HW division in a old randy he pretty much is done can contend with the best in the division and don't tell me ooh he was dominated the whole fight Brock got a lucky punch on randy and had no technique im not gonna say Brock isn't improving but im saying you guys are turning into people who talk about how " ooh lebron got MVP this year and hes not even at his peak not EVEN NEAR" all i am saying is Brock can't get much stronger he cant get much faster he can get a little more technical but he will be how Kongo is on the ground light years behind everyone
Its very difficult to comprehend what you are trying to say but i think it was along the lines of

- HW division sucks if old randy can still compete with the best of the division.
- Brock cant get that much better and he will be like a better version of Kongo

ill bite.

To compare Brock to a Kongo in any fashion is laughable. Brock may not have much skills (now) off his back, but who can put him on his back? Due to his size,strength, and athleticism his topgame is dominating. He may not have subs off his back, but how are you going to hold a 300lb shaved gorilla down?

Although Randy is on the twilight of his career by no means is he washed up or done. His competitiveness in the division speaks more to his own skills than itdoes about the division. The HW division worldwide has good talent, and put Randy (and Brock for that matter) right up there with them

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Ehhh.. Lesnar did improve since his last fights. It wasn't just sheer size that was holding Mir down. He's done a much better job transitioning his wrestling to MMA. If you can't see the improvement of Lesnar after each fight, then you need to rewatch his fights again and look closer. If you can't see it then I don't know what to tell you. You have to be blind not to see the improvment. And he doesn't have to be this great stand up guy or this great submission guy. He just needs to play to his strengths and build off that. It's not like we have a hundred GSPs running around.

And Mir's stand up was a lot better then you guys make it out to be. Not saying he's elite but he's not a scrub. Ken Hahn is probably one of the most underrated striking coaches. I've already touched this subject though...

And can we stop with the Couture grandpa line. It's getting old and Couture could still probably beat every heavy not named Brock or Fedor...

Couture is a grandpa and if he can beat all but Lesnar and Fedor that just shows how weak the HW division is. A 45 yr old that is top 5 in an MMA division. That is laughable. Is it not? Male's reach their physical peak in their late 20's and Couture is still competitive at 45 in that division. No matter how good couture is that shouldn't happen.

On the training aspect.

Of course Lesnar's skill set will improve from 0 mma fights through the first few. What Lesnar improved upon through those few fights were basic MMA techniques.
There is a huge difference between a person who has never played ball and one who has played a few games (but sucks). That doesn't mean that the peson who's played a few games but sucks will go on to be better and better.

How much better can Lesnar get is the question. There is no guarantee whatsoever that he can substantially improve anything else apart from perfecting the more minute details of his wrestling.
He may be able and he may not be able to. Odds are though, that he won't be able too or that it'll take too long of a time to make a substantial difference.

Of course wrestling and purely overpowering his opponent are his bread and butter but he is exploitable at this point.

When Randleman first came on it was identical to what is being said about Lesnar.
A freak of strentgh with great wrestling.
I'm not gonna touch the Couture/Heavyweight thing because I've already touched on that...

And like I said, there aren't a hundred GSPs running around. There's very few with the total package. Point blank, he doesn't need that. And Randleman is 5'10 and was a small (while strong) heavy, hell even light heavyweight... Brock isn't. I'm not touching this anymore because arguements with you goes in circles or goes off on a completely different subject, no offense.

eh..
laugh.gif

People can't really claim that "Lesnar will only improve". It's a complete logical fallacy. Especially given that Lesnar's 32 years old. Odds are that he won't improve.
You're right Lesnar doesn't need to be a well rounded fighter (and there aren't 100's running around) but all it'll take is one or 2 to derail him.

I mentioned Randleman because he was hyped based on the same traits.

Lesnar and Carwin need to fight. That would be epic.
I'd actually take Carwin in that fight.

What kind of backwards thinking is that?

Of course he can improve.

Once he gets more comfortable on the feet, his boxing technique will catch up with his power, and he'll be much more aware of his surroundings against anestablished striker.

and you make '32 years old' sound like he has one foot in the grave.

come on now...

Couture isn't even top 10 anymore.

Stop trippin'.

And Lesnar can only improve at this point. He has a leg upon the entire division with the size and athleticism.

Time will give him technique and experience. Dude is like on year 3.

YEAR ******' THREE.
as much as everyone wants to hate he will.

I'd love to see him in another camp to develop his skills...I believe the man is a willing learner.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

that's how bad the HW division in a old randy he pretty much is done can contend with the best in the division and don't tell me ooh he was dominated the whole fight Brock got a lucky punch on randy and had no technique im not gonna say Brock isn't improving but im saying you guys are turning into people who talk about how " ooh lebron got MVP this year and hes not even at his peak not EVEN NEAR" all i am saying is Brock can't get much stronger he cant get much faster he can get a little more technical but he will be how Kongo is on the ground light years behind everyone
Its very difficult to comprehend what you are trying to say but i think it was along the lines of

- HW division sucks if old randy can still compete with the best of the division.
- Brock cant get that much better and he will be like a better version of Kongo

ill bite.

To compare Brock to a Kongo in any fashion is laughable. Brock may not have much skills (now) off his back, but who can put him on his back? Due to his size, strength, and athleticism his topgame is dominating. He may not have subs off his back, but how are you going to hold a 300lb shaved gorilla down?

Although Randy is on the twilight of his career by no means is he washed up or done. His competitiveness in the division speaks more to his own skills than it does about the division. The HW division worldwide has good talent, and put Randy (and Brock for that matter) right up there with them

Brock has never fought anyone competitive with comparable size and strength. However, there are HW's with those attributes.
Lesnar has fought 2 times against a real competitive HW and he's 1-1 in those fights.

Let's say Couture is just a freak and that his competitiveness in the division doesn't speak to the quality of the present HW's, you still have toaknowledge that Couture gave up at least 50 lbs and that by itself is completely ridiculous. What would happen to GSP if he fought Silva?

That's why a Lesnar-Carwin fight would be very interesting. Lesnar gets a lot of his confidence from knowing that he's so much bigger and stronger thanhis opponenent but in this fight he wouldn't be. He also must believe that his size and strength helps him out even if he makes a mistake or two that wouldotherwise lose a fight for smaller fighters.
That's a huge psychological factor. In a fight against Carwin he wouldn't have that.

The entire problem on my end is that peoople act like Lesnar is 15-1 and 9-1 vs. the top 10 when in reality Lesnar is 1-1 against a fellow competitive HW.

Just a heads up guys.

For you MMA bettors out there. The line on BJ (in my opinion) is only going to go up. You can still buy at or around -180 to -200 range which I think is apretty solid bet. Dont get sucked in by MMA Math and/or the "What have you done for me lately" thought process. KENFLO is not the same as GSP.

It looks like the Silva line is also going to climb a bit. Right now I'm seeing stuff around the -300 range. I know its still early, and you may get burnedby going with an early line if a fighter gets injured, sick, etc... but I have to imagine money is going to continue to come in on Silva. Act fast.

Originally Posted by Club29

Ehhh.. Lesnar did improve since his last fights. It wasn't just sheer size that was holding Mir down. He's done a much better job transitioning his wrestling to MMA. If you can't see the improvement of Lesnar after each fight, then you need to rewatch his fights again and look closer. If you can't see it then I don't know what to tell you. You have to be blind not to see the improvment. And he doesn't have to be this great stand up guy or this great submission guy. He just needs to play to his strengths and build off that. It's not like we have a hundred GSPs running around.

And Mir's stand up was a lot better then you guys make it out to be. Not saying he's elite but he's not a scrub. Ken Hahn is probably one of the most underrated striking coaches. I've already touched this subject though...

And can we stop with the Couture grandpa line. It's getting old and Couture could still probably beat every heavy not named Brock or Fedor...

Couture is a grandpa and if he can beat all but Lesnar and Fedor that just shows how weak the HW division is. A 45 yr old that is top 5 in an MMA division. That is laughable. Is it not? Male's reach their physical peak in their late 20's and Couture is still competitive at 45 in that division. No matter how good couture is that shouldn't happen.

On the training aspect.

Of course Lesnar's skill set will improve from 0 mma fights through the first few. What Lesnar improved upon through those few fights were basic MMA techniques.
There is a huge difference between a person who has never played ball and one who has played a few games (but sucks). That doesn't mean that the peson who's played a few games but sucks will go on to be better and better.

How much better can Lesnar get is the question. There is no guarantee whatsoever that he can substantially improve anything else apart from perfecting the more minute details of his wrestling.
He may be able and he may not be able to. Odds are though, that he won't be able too or that it'll take too long of a time to make a substantial difference.

Of course wrestling and purely overpowering his opponent are his bread and butter but he is exploitable at this point.

When Randleman first came on it was identical to what is being said about Lesnar.
I'm not gonna touch the Couture/Heavyweight thing because I've already touched on that...

And like I said, there aren't a hundred GSPs running around. There's very few with the total package. Point blank, he doesn't need that. And Randleman is 5'10 and was a small (while strong) heavy, hell even light heavyweight... Brock isn't. I'm not touching this anymore because arguements with you goes in circles or goes off on a completely different subject, no offense.

eh..
laugh.gif

People can't really claim that "Lesnar will only improve". It's a complete logical fallacy. Especially given that Lesnar's 32 years old. Odds are that he won't improve.
You're right Lesnar doesn't need to be a well rounded fighter (and there aren't 100's running around) but all it'll take is one or 2 to derail him.

Once he gets more comfortable on the feet, his boxing technique will catch up with his power, and he'll be much more aware of his surroundings against an established striker.

come on now...
People act like it's a given. If it was a given then there would be many great fighters because there are always tons of fighters with'great potential".
I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying that it's unlikely and his age as well as his late entrance into MMA do not help him out.

Let Lesnar prove something first.
All he's proven is that he's 1-1 against other competitive HW's.

On the training aspect.

eh..
laugh.gif

Once he gets more comfortable on the feet, his boxing technique will catch up with his power, and he'll be much more aware of his surroundings against an established striker.

come on now...
People act like it's a given. If it was a given then there would be many great fighters because there are always tons of fighters with 'great potential".
I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying that it's unlikely and his age as well as his late entrance into MMA do not help him out.

Let Lesnar prove something first.
All he's proven is that he's 1 2-1 against other competitive HW's.
Heath Herring may not be a contender, but hes no slouch either.

you have to remember Lesnar is still a baby in this sport. Give his standup technique a good year to really improve (even at 32), and im willing to bet youwill eat your words.

you have to remember Lesnar is still a baby in this sport. Give his standup technique a good year to really improve (even at 32), and im willing to bet you will eat your words.

How many times have we heard that about other fighters?
It may happen and it may not happen.

People are getting ahead of themselves when it comes to Lesnar.

What does everyone think about Tito Vs Franklin @ 103? My bad if it's been discussed already.........
ohwell.gif

you have to remember Lesnar is still a baby in this sport. Give his standup technique a good year to really improve (even at 32), and im willing to bet you will eat your words.
How many times have we heard that about other fighters?
It may happen and it may not happen.

People are getting ahead of themselves when it comes to Lesnar.

YOU SHUT YOUR STUPID MOUTH WAWAWEEWA!!

laugh.gif
no but seriously, our debate could go either way so ill just have toleave it at that.

^ how are they getting ahead of himself? He is the UFC HW Champion. Its not like he's an untested hype machine (a la Cain Velasquez... who very well may bethe real thing but we will see). Again. HE IS THE CHAMP. Even if he doesn't adapt/evolve as a fighter, in his current state its hard to make the argumentthat he is overrated or would get smashed by other high level HW's.

It's actually ironic that you are riding the Carwin Warwagon pretty hard, yet you say that it is a logical fallacy that someone who is of the ripe old ageof THIRTY TWO will imrove. CARWIN IS 34. Hell if Lesnar is old, Carwin needs to hang em up and get a job doing commercials with Wilford Brimley or C. EverettCoop hawking geriatric insurance or life alert.

Cmon man. Have we not learned anything from Couture or even to a lesser degree Hendo? Age is but a number to most of these guys as they eat, sleep, and breatheFIGHTING. These "old" dudes are in phenomenal shape and have an equally sharp mind to go along with it. You're right, there is no 100% Guaranteethat Lesnar will continue to grow and get better, but if I were a betting man (I am) I would be the house that he does. That is about as safest a bet as youcan get.

Originally Posted by cquan05

What does everyone think about Tito Vs Franklin @ 103? My bad if it's been discussed already.........
ohwell.gif
I havent heard anything about this. Im excited to see how franklin is going to do against 205 fighters now.

^ how are they getting ahead of himself? He is the UFC HW Champion. Its not like he's an untested hype machine (a la Cain Velasquez... who very well may be the real thing but we will see). Again. HE IS THE CHAMP. Even if he doesn't adapt/evolve as a fighter, in his current state its hard to make the argument that he is overrated or would get smashed by other high level HW's.

It's actually ironic that you are riding the Carwin Warwagon pretty hard, yet you say that it is a logical fallacy that someone who is of the ripe old age of THIRTY TWO will imrove. CARWIN IS 34. Hell if Lesnar is old, Carwin needs to hang em up and get a job doing commercials with Wilford Brimley or C. Everett Coop hawking geriatric insurance or life alert.

Cmon man. Have we not learned anything from Couture or even to a lesser degree Hendo? Age is but a number to most of these guys as they eat, sleep, and breathe FIGHTING. These "old" dudes are in phenomenal shape and have an equally sharp mind to go along with it. You're right, there is no 100% Guarantee that Lesnar will continue to grow and get better, but if I were a betting man (I am) I would be the house that he does. That is about as safest a bet as you can get.
I don't care that Lesnar is the UFC HW champion.
All I care is that he's 1-1 against fellow HW contendors.

I don't think Carwin's great either. What the hell's a warwagon?
laugh.gif

I think Carwin is a good match up for Lesnar. It should be an interesting fight.

Age is not "nothing but a number" in sports that require physical activity. It matters. For some it matters less than others because their styles mayrely on less pure physicality but it matters nonetheless.

It seems that with many MMA fans it's either a fighter "sucks" or is "great". There are many fighters who neither such nor are vastlybetter than their competitors.
As of now Lesnar is a good HW fighter

Let him fight some real competition for an extended period of time first.

fwiw, I didn't think Mir would win the 2nd fight against Lesnar. I also think mir's a bit overrated so....
laugh.gif

^Dude, you are that annonying !%% sports know-it-all that in reality knows very little. You browse forums, watch fights, buy a TaopouT shirt and thinks thatmakes him an 'expert' on said topic. Pure comedy.

Originally Posted by x1xJIGSAWx1x

ohwell.gif

I havent heard anything about this. Im excited to see how franklin is going to do against 205 fighters now.

franklin has already fought at 205 multiple times.

any tito/ufc talk is just speculation at this point as he has yet to sign anywhere.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by x1xJIGSAWx1x

ohwell.gif

franklin has already fought at 205 multiple times.

any tito/ufc talk is just speculation at this point as he has yet to sign anywhere.
I know thats why i said how he would do now.
Also, I would like to see him fight some top LW fighters. I beleive the last 205 match was with matt hamill who is a solid fighter but not top of the divisontalent. I think ace could hold his own with the top fighters in the divison.

^ how are they getting ahead of himself? He is the UFC HW Champion. Its not like he's an untested hype machine (a la Cain Velasquez... who very well may be the real thing but we will see). Again. HE IS THE CHAMP. Even if he doesn't adapt/evolve as a fighter, in his current state its hard to make the argument that he is overrated or would get smashed by other high level HW's.

It's actually ironic that you are riding the Carwin Warwagon pretty hard, yet you say that it is a logical fallacy that someone who is of the ripe old age of THIRTY TWO will imrove. CARWIN IS 34. Hell if Lesnar is old, Carwin needs to hang em up and get a job doing commercials with Wilford Brimley or C. Everett Coop hawking geriatric insurance or life alert.

Cmon man. Have we not learned anything from Couture or even to a lesser degree Hendo? Age is but a number to most of these guys as they eat, sleep, and breathe FIGHTING. These "old" dudes are in phenomenal shape and have an equally sharp mind to go along with it. You're right, there is no 100% Guarantee that Lesnar will continue to grow and get better, but if I were a betting man (I am) I would be the house that he does. That is about as safest a bet as you can get.
I don't care that Lesnar is the UFC HW champion.
All I care is that he's 1-1 against fellow HW contendors.

I don't think Carwin's great either. What the hell's a warwagon?
laugh.gif

I think Carwin is a good match up for Lesnar. It should be an interesting fight.

Age is not "nothing but a number" in sports that require physical activity. It matters. For some it matters less than others because their styles may rely on less pure physicality but it matters nonetheless.

It seems that with many MMA fans it's either a fighter "sucks" or is "great". There are many fighters who neither such nor are vastly better than their competitors.
As of now Lesnar is a good HW fighter

Let him fight some real competition for an extended period of time first.

fwiw, I didn't think Mir would win the 2nd fight against Lesnar. I also think mir's a bit overrated so....
laugh.gif

First off.

DAAAAAMN Demon....
laugh.gif

I obviously am not as frustrated (yet) as Demon and some of the others are so I'll bite again and try to reply intelligently.

If you dont care or recognize that someone is a champ, what basis do you have for how good/bad a fighter is? MMA is one of the few sports where acompetitor's record is not indicative of his current skill level or ranking. Thats why people mock MMA Math. Using MMA Math, Dong Hyun Kim is an elitelevel fighter. WHY you ask? cause DHK > TJ Grant. TJ Grant > Ryo Chonan. Ryo Chonan > Anderson Silva, therefore Dong Hyun Kim > Anderson Silva. Obviously that is a ludicrous statement.

Fighters today evolve so rapidly these days, not only do you have to look at their full body of work (entire career record) but you have to give extra weightto how they have been performing as of late. You say that all you care about is that Brock is 1-1 against fellow contenders. Obviously you are discountinghis fight against Herring yet including his first fight against Mir. The Brock that fought Mir the 1st time is a different fighter than the one that foughtMir last week. Make no mistake about it. After seeing the way he utterly dismantled Mir last week I dont know how you can make the argument that he is notthat good or doesn't have the skill set to get better. Look at how much he's already grown as a fighter since their first fight. Hell look at howmuch he's grown since the Herring fight. I felt that in the Herring fight, Brock somewhat relied on his pure bulk but did not necesarily exhibit highlevel skill and technique. In Lesnar/Mir 2, I thought Lesnar looked like a different fighter. His top game (to me) was VERY impressive. It looked like hewas a 1,000lb blanket raining down bowling ball sized fists that Mir (hell... probably most fighters) could not get out from under. A man of that size withhis agility and wrestling acumen can only get better the more he understands submission defense and the proper use of his weight and leverage to defend againstsweeps and or sub attempts from the bottom.

warwagon = stupid phrase to mean bandwagon x jim rome jungle-esque lingo (ie. WAR GSP, WAR the 1993 Chicago Bulls, and WAR J Stew getting love from aprostitute... I'm out! Rack em!... *nevermind)

I still stand by that age is not a number when you are in that peak physical shape. Hell I'm a 29 year old male that likes to stay fairly active byrunning around 10 miles a week, playing baseketball, and hitting the gym. I bet a 38 year old Dan Henderson can run faster, jump higher, lift more, andforearm shiver me into oblivion like he did Bisping. Why? Because Hendo is a professional athlete with a god given ability and talents, not to mention histraining regimen which keeps him in tip top shape. Furthermore, MMA is more than just "physical activity". Not only does it require athleticism(strength, speed, agility, etc...) but also requires TECHNIQUE, STRATEGY, and most of all MENTAL FORTITUDE. Couture is an EXCELLENT example of that. 35 yearold Randy was probably in better physical shape than 42 year old Randy, but it is hard to make the argument that 35 year old Randy is a better fighter than 42year old Randy was. He has said it before in past interviews, but Couture readily admits that a big part of this had to do with his mental state of mind(related to his prior marriage). There is more to being an elite level fighter than just being the biggest, strongest, fastest.

I disagree again that Lesnar as of now is a "good" fighter. Whether you recognize it or not, he is the defending champion of the premier MMAorganization in the world. There are (arguably) less than 10 people in the world who can do what he does at that level. If you are one of the 10 best in theworld at what you do be it fighting, spelling, tiddlywinks, whatever, that makes you GREAT at what you do.

You ask for Lesnar to fight some "real" competition over an "extended period of time"
Call me crazy but Mir, Herring, and Couture is real competition to me. As far as time goes... he has no control of that. He fights when they ask him to andwhoever they put up against him. This may sound like borderline blasphemy to some, but look at The Prodigy and the start to his career. Borderline comes outof nowhere and doesnt just beat recognized highly respectable dudes, he straight up murks em. Back in those days, Din Thomas and Caol Uno weren't justtomato can 155ers. These dudes were considered high level guys in that weight class and BJ came out like gangbusters and took them to school. He did not havetime or an extensive record to back him up, but people knew they were watching something special. Same goes for Brock. When you see this guy fight you knowhe is a special fighter and there is a chance (not saying its a lock, but atleast a chance) that he may go down as one of the most dominant HW fighters ever. Maybe I am biased cause I got to see Brock's first fight live and in person, but even against a can like Hong Man Choi, I left the Coliseum STUNNED likeWOW... this guy is going to be a monster once his technique develops. You could just tell.

okami vs. sonnen. at 104.

okami getting the runaround at 185
smh.gif

he should the next up for a a title shot.

at least match him up with someone like hendo.

he likely wouldnt beat hendo but at least treat him like he's run through most of 185, which he has, instead of just throwing him in there with any randommiddleweight who's time table matches up.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

^Dude, you are that annonying !%% sports know-it-all that in reality knows very little. You browse forums, watch fights, buy a TaopouT shirt and thinks that makes him an 'expert' on said topic. Pure comedy.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

WAR Junior Dos Santos top 5 HW, you guys just don't know it yet, one year from today you all will recoginize the skill/talent of Mr. Dos Santos
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

^Dude, you are that annonying !%% sports know-it-all that in reality knows very little. You browse forums, watch fights, buy a TaopouT shirt and thinks that makes him an 'expert' on said topic. Pure comedy.

roll.gif

The funny thing is I don't browse any sports forum (outside of this one). I'm not even minimizing it.
Also, I've never bought a tapout t-shiort. Think they're kind of douchey.
laugh.gif

I will admit that i do watch the fights that interest me. Although, I will never pay for a PPV in this day and age. Sorry Dana, I can use the internetz.

I have a strong feeling that you described yourself there.
Let that anger out. No need to keep it inside.

Back
Top Bottom