Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

^LOL, someone sounds guilty. I wasn't even referring to you, I was speaking about the public in general. TUF hyped him up beyond belief, his toughest fight to date has been Evans, and he lost that, and it's a known fact he was given the Hamil fight.

As far why I feel so strongly about the fight, I see it going the same way Franklin/Hendo fight went. Franklin has better striking and footwork than Bisping and that wasn't enough to get Rich the W, it won't be enough for him either. It's a pretty pointless fight IMO, even if Bisping does somehow win, he stand an even lesser chance at beating Silva. If Hendo wins, a rematch with Spider ends the same way as the first.

If I'm Joe Silva, I give the winner of Marquardt/Maia first shot at the title, loser fights winner of Bisping/Hendo. 185 is lacking serious contenders, hopefully the Belfort announcement comes to fruition!

nah i never thought you were talking to me, i was just taking a look at it objectively.

as far as being 'guilty' im not. i honestly hadnt given the fight much thought yet. behind gsp/alves it just doesnt grab my attention that much.

but now that i have, i dont think it's a stretch at all to say bisping has a legit chance.

henderson just hasnt looked impressive in a long time and theres a definite opening for an upset.

as far as the title yushin okami has been putting in work much like frankie edgar.

he's been injured a lot but he's been rolling when he's healthy. anderson wants this fight too.

almost running away the whole time.
more fighters need to take the angle of taking no damage instead of weathering the damage.

lyoto machida is sitting on top of the toughest weightclass in the world.

anderson silva is arguably the best fighter on the planet.

neither of them exactly spend a lot of time just standing in the pocket and throwing.

im as much of a fan of skill based disciplined fighting as i am of brawling .

You're right I completely forgot about Okami!! I do agree he has been putting in work, and with Silva wanting the rematch, I say line up Okami first andMaia/Marquardt after that. We all know Silva wants to fight as much as possible, so give him what he wants Joe!!

^LOL, someone sounds guilty. I wasn't even referring to you, I was speaking about the public in general. TUF hyped him up beyond belief, his toughest fight to date has been Evans, and he lost that, and it's a known fact he was given the Hamil fight.

As far why I feel so strongly about the fight, I see it going the same way Franklin/Hendo fight went. Franklin has better striking and footwork than Bisping and that wasn't enough to get Rich the W, it won't be enough for him either. It's a pretty pointless fight IMO, even if Bisping does somehow win, he stand an even lesser chance at beating Silva. If Hendo wins, a rematch with Spider ends the same way as the first.

If I'm Joe Silva, I give the winner of Marquardt/Maia first shot at the title, loser fights winner of Bisping/Hendo. 185 is lacking serious contenders, hopefully the Belfort announcement comes to fruition!

nah i never thought you were talking to me, i was just taking a look at it objectively.

as far as being 'guilty' im not. i honestly hadnt given the fight much thought yet. behind gsp/alves it just doesnt grab my attention that much.

but now that i have, i dont think it's a stretch at all to say bisping has a legit chance.

henderson just hasnt looked impressive in a long time and theres a definite opening for an upset.

as far as the title yushin okami has been putting in work much like frankie edgar.

he's been injured a lot but he's been rolling when he's healthy. anderson wants this fight too.

almost running away the whole time.
more fighters need to take the angle of taking no damage instead of weathering the damage.

lyoto machida is sitting on top of the toughest weightclass in the world.

anderson silva is arguably the best fighter on the planet.

neither of them exactly spend a lot of time just standing in the pocket and throwing.

im as much of a fan of skill based disciplined fighting as i am of brawling .

You're right I completely forgot about Okami!! I do agree he has been putting in work, and with Silva wanting the rematch, I say line up Okami first and Maia/Marquardt after that. We all know Silva wants to fight as much as possible, so give him what he wants Joe!!

Okami was suppose to get the title shot at UFC 90 but got hurt then at 92 he was put on the prelims
laugh.gif

yeah the fact is that the ufc's tryin' to hold okami back because quite frankly he's not generally a very exciting fighter.

the injuries have just given them an excuse.

but he's 7-1 in the ufc and has run through everyone they've put in front of him at 185 . it's his time.

wec to employ first interim title? translation: varner is a beeeeeeeooooottcchh.

The delay brought by WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner's hand injury has created an opening.

Donald Cerrone, who was expected to take on the champion in a rematch from their January battle, will instead take on rising prospect Ben Henderson, likely for an interim lightweight belt, at WEC 43 in September. Henderson was booked as the challenger after early discussions named former contender Rich Crunkilton as the replacement.

Cerrone on Thursday confirmed the news to mmamania.com and Henderson announced it on his personal blog. While bouts agreements haven't been signed, and details are still being worked out, both parties have agreed to the fight.

It would mark the first time the WEC has employed an interim title.

The event's date and location are still undetermined, but Cincinnati has been named as a possible host.

Henderson last appeared at WEC 40, where he defeated Shane Roller by strikes in the second round. The 25 year-old Filipino-American has won all but one of his nine professional appearances. He currently trains out of The Lab in Glendale, Ariz.

Cerrone lost his bid for the lightweight title in January when an illegal knee he threw brought a premature close to the WEC 38 bout. Varner's lead in points ruled him the winner. The loss was his first in 12 professional bouts. The 26-year-old Colorado native bounced back at WEC 41 with a decimation of James Krause, submitting the newcomer in the first round.

huerta quickly fails in hollywood; make return against maynard.
A lightweight match-up between Roger Huerta and Gray Maynard has been agreed to for UFC Fight Night 19, MMAWeekly.com has learned.

The bout was first reported as a possibility by Sherdog.com, and subsequently confirmed by sources close to the fight. The event is scheduled for Sept. 16, at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

Huerta has been inactive since a loss to Kenny Florian at UFC 87 took him off the title contender list at 155-pounds. In the pre-fight buildup, Huerta made waves with an interview where he openly questioned the payout practices of the promotion.

The 26-year-old Hispanic fighter had been promoted heavily by the UFC, gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated in May 2007.

Following the Florian fight, his first loss in seven UFC appearances, he softened his stance, saying his views were a matter of sound business practices.

The layoff, however, lead many to believe he had lost the UFC's good graces.

Huerta in January announced he was taking a hiatus from MMA to pursue acting opportunities, including a development deal with Lions Gate Pictures.

Maynard, 30, has been on his way towards a title shot since a dominating performance over Jim Miller at UFC 96. Since a freak occurrence at the finale of "The Ultimate Fighter" season 5, where Maynard first came into the UFC fold, he has notched five straight victories. The Las Vegas wrestling standout trains at Xtreme Couture alongside Randy Couture, Tyson Griffin, Jay Hieron, and Forrest Griffin, among others.

Not completely sure about this, but isn't Maynard the last of his contractually obligated fights? So I'm guessing his actual hiatus would start at theend of this upcoming fight.

Lashley vs Sapp up now. The production quality of this show is pretty bad.

I'm predicting a Lashley victory by KO in the 1st round. I'll post updates since it doesn't look like anyone else is.

So boring.

Lashley shot and took Sapp down immediately. There were no standing exchanges. Lashley was in Sapp's half guard pretty much the whole time. Lashley usedground and pound. With about 90 seconds left, Sapp tapped from the ground and pound, but the ref didn't see it. About 20 seconds later, the ref stepped inand stopped it.

Lashley needs to move to some real competition.

"To all the heavyweights out there, if you're not looking at me, you better, because I'm coming. I'll take on all challengers," Lashley said.
smokin.gif

Dana White better cut this dude a check.

what they really need to do is get gsp and akiyama to fight and just let them both grease as much as they like,
laugh.gif

hahahahahaha funniest thing ive heard all morning. reminds me of that family guy episode with the naked guy slathered in petroleum jelly.

This thread is falling deeper into the abyss and we are just about a week away from UFC100.

Predictions?

Maincard
Brock Lesnar v. Frank Mir - UFC HW Championship
Georges St-Pierre v. Thiago Alves - UFC WW Championship
Dan Henderson v. Michael Bisping
Jon Fitch v. Paulo Thiago
Yoshihiro Akiyama v. Alan Belcher

Undercard
Mark Coleman v. Stephan Bonnar
Mac Danzig v. Jim Miller
Jon Jones
v. Jake O'Brien
Dong Hyun Kim v. TJ Grant
CB Dolloway v. Tom Lawlor
Matt Grice v. Shannon Gugerty

Lots of big underdogs for this fight and I am picking pretty safely with my only upset being Mir over Brock. I think if Mir's boxing got even better thanit was against Nog, he has a real shot of taking the strap off of Lesnar.

Ditto on your maincard predictions.

and we all knew Huerta's coming back sooner than later. I didn't even hear his name throughout his absence in MMA. no shows, no movies, nonothing
laugh.gif
can't blame him for taking the chance though.

Maincard
Dan Henderson v. Michael Bisping

mac vs. jim miller should be intrigung.

neither has fantastic striking but mac could out point him in the standup, but miller could guida his way to the win in that fight if he stayspersistent with the takedown effort like he did agaihst maynard. i dont think mac's takedown defense is on par with maynard's.

Maincard

[b[Dan Henderson [/b]v. Michael Bisping

Undercard

Mark Coleman v. Stephan Bonnar
Mac Danzig v. Jim Miller
Jon Jones v. Jake O'Brien
Dong Hyun Kim v. TJ Grant
CB Dolloway v. Tom Lawlor
Matt Grice v. Shannon Gugerty

Damn Mojo, spot on, 'cept I got Danzig pulling out a SD over Miller. He needs this more than Jim and it'll show all 3 rounds. Hope to see'Bones' get some TV time, but I'm not counting on it, I can easily see the first 3 fights go to decisions.
ohwell.gif

GSP/Alves will be a guaranteed FOTY candidate, count on it. If GSP loses, I'll be in some terrible emotional pain lol.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't *#!@ this up Frank!!! This is your chance to prove your potential you showed before your accident, I'm looking forward toseeing you with the 'real' championship around your waist again!!

tito ortiz loses mind; wants fight with fedor.
One time UFC poster boy Tito Ortiz hasn't fought in more than a year. And it's been nearly three years since he last won a fight. Plagued by back problems for several years, his last bout was a loss to current UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. Prior to that, a draw with former UFC champion Rashad Evans and a loss to another former UFC champion in Chuck Liddell.

But following back surgery in October of 2008, Ortiz has recently been cleared to train full speed ahead. "My doctor just released me. I feel great. My cardio is great. I'm excited to get back in there. I'm 100-percent, no more pain running down my back."

In a seemingly revolving door of endless negotiations, the former UFC champion sounds as if he is nearing the time when he will set foot back in the cage, once again ready to compete. "I'm in negotiations right now with Strikeforce and working with CBS and Showtime, so all three of us are going back and forth to make a contract that makes sense to me," he told MMAWeekly.com recently.

"Hopefully by October I'll be competing. We're finishing the contract I'd say with CBS, Showtime, and Strikeforce and making a deal that UFC can't match."

If that deal does come to fruition, Ortiz says he's ready and has his near future already mapped out. "I feel sorry for the person they have me fight, but I do need one warm-up fight," he said. "I managed to come off a huge back surgery. It's been a year since I've competed. I think one warm-up fight to get things going."

But after that, it's full speed ahead, and truly so if the fight he mentions does end up taking place.

"After that, I don't want no more warm-up fights. I'm hoping by my fourth fight, possibly fight Fedor Emelianenko at a catchweight. That'd be something that I'm looking forward to possibly by the middle of next year."

MAIN CARD
  • Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)
  • Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)
  • Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
  • Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson
  • Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
  • Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
  • Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
  • C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
  • Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
  • T.J. Grant vs. Dong Hyun Kim

[h1]Shane Carwin vs. Cain Velasquez in works forUFC 104 in Los Angeles on Oct. 24[/h1]
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 01, 2009 at 5:50 pm ET
shane-carwin-2.jpg
A heavyweight contest between top undefeated prospectsShane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (6-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is currently in the works for UFC 104.

If finalized, the bout would likely feature on the main card of the Oct. 24 pay-per-view event, which will take place at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Sources close to the bout, which was first reported by MMAMadness.com, have confirmed toMMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Carwin has verbally accepted the contest, while Velasquez is expected to follow suit.

Carwin also confirmed his participation in the contest with a post on his Twitter account.

"Looks like I'll be fighting Oct. 24 in Los Angeles," Carwin stated. "Excited to know."

Jason Genet, Carwin's manager, pointed MMAjunkie.com to his client's Twitter message when asked about the fight. While unable to confirm the status ofthe fight, he said a potential matchup with Velasquez is just the type of opportunity they want.

"For Team Carwin, we want to fight whoever it takes to fight for that belt," Genet said. "Cain, whoever - we are excited to be getting anopportunity. Shane is ready to continue the climb to the top of the division."

The potential contest between the highly regarded heavyweights would likely determine the division's No. 1 contender, though the winner of the UFC 102between MMA legends Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrgio Nogueira may also figure prominently in the immediate title picture.

Carwin, who has never fought beyond the first round in his near-four-year career, has needed just three minutes and 24 seconds to dispatch of Gabriel Gonzaga,Neil Wain and Christian Wellisch in his three fights for the UFC.

The Gonzaga contest, which took place in March, was Carwin's most recent appearance in the octagon.

Velasquez last fought in June, earning a unanimous decision over Cheick Kongo at UFC 99 in Germany. The win was Velasquez's fourth straight in the octagon,a streak that also includes wins over Denis Stojnic, Jake O'Brien and Brad Morris.

If UFC 104 in Los Angeles turns out being my first live event, I'll be happy seeing a motivated Shogun v. Machida and Carwin vs. Velasquez.

Back
Top Bottom