Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

^ how are they getting ahead of himself? He is the UFC HW Champion. Its not like he's an untested hype machine (a la Cain Velasquez... who very well may be the real thing but we will see). Again. HE IS THE CHAMP. Even if he doesn't adapt/evolve as a fighter, in his current state its hard to make the argument that he is overrated or would get smashed by other high level HW's.

It's actually ironic that you are riding the Carwin Warwagon pretty hard, yet you say that it is a logical fallacy that someone who is of the ripe old age of THIRTY TWO will imrove. CARWIN IS 34. Hell if Lesnar is old, Carwin needs to hang em up and get a job doing commercials with Wilford Brimley or C. Everett Coop hawking geriatric insurance or life alert.

Cmon man. Have we not learned anything from Couture or even to a lesser degree Hendo? Age is but a number to most of these guys as they eat, sleep, and breathe FIGHTING. These "old" dudes are in phenomenal shape and have an equally sharp mind to go along with it. You're right, there is no 100% Guarantee that Lesnar will continue to grow and get better, but if I were a betting man (I am) I would be the house that he does. That is about as safest a bet as you can get.
I don't care that Lesnar is the UFC HW champion.
All I care is that he's 1-1 against fellow HW contendors.

I don't think Carwin's great either. What the hell's a warwagon?
laugh.gif

I think Carwin is a good match up for Lesnar. It should be an interesting fight.

Age is not "nothing but a number" in sports that require physical activity. It matters. For some it matters less than others because their styles may rely on less pure physicality but it matters nonetheless.

It seems that with many MMA fans it's either a fighter "sucks" or is "great". There are many fighters who neither such nor are vastly better than their competitors.
As of now Lesnar is a good HW fighter

Let him fight some real competition for an extended period of time first.

fwiw, I didn't think Mir would win the 2nd fight against Lesnar. I also think mir's a bit overrated so....
laugh.gif

First off.

DAAAAAMN Demon....
laugh.gif

I obviously am not as frustrated (yet) as Demon and some of the others are so I'll bite again and try to reply intelligently.

If you dont care or recognize that someone is a champ, what basis do you have for how good/bad a fighter is? MMA is one of the few sports where a competitor's record is not indicative of his current skill level or ranking. Thats why people mock MMA Math. Using MMA Math, Dong Hyun Kim is an elite level fighter. WHY you ask? cause DHK > TJ Grant. TJ Grant > Ryo Chonan. Ryo Chonan > Anderson Silva, therefore Dong Hyun Kim > Anderson Silva. Obviously that is a ludicrous statement.

Fighters today evolve so rapidly these days, not only do you have to look at their full body of work (entire career record) but you have to give extra weight to how they have been performing as of late. You say that all you care about is that Brock is 1-1 against fellow contenders. Obviously you are discounting his fight against Herring yet including his first fight against Mir. The Brock that fought Mir the 1st time is a different fighter than the one that fought Mir last week. Make no mistake about it. After seeing the way he utterly dismantled Mir last week I dont know how you can make the argument that he is not that good or doesn't have the skill set to get better. Look at how much he's already grown as a fighter since their first fight. Hell look at how much he's grown since the Herring fight. I felt that in the Herring fight, Brock somewhat relied on his pure bulk but did not necesarily exhibit high level skill and technique. In Lesnar/Mir 2, I thought Lesnar looked like a different fighter. His top game (to me) was VERY impressive. It looked like he was a 1,000lb blanket raining down bowling ball sized fists that Mir (hell... probably most fighters) could not get out from under. A man of that size with his agility and wrestling acumen can only get better the more he understands submission defense and the proper use of his weight and leverage to defend against sweeps and or sub attempts from the bottom.

warwagon = stupid phrase to mean bandwagon x jim rome jungle-esque lingo (ie. WAR GSP, WAR the 1993 Chicago Bulls, and WAR J Stew getting love from a prostitute... I'm out! Rack em!... *nevermind)

I still stand by that age is not a number when you are in that peak physical shape. Hell I'm a 29 year old male that likes to stay fairly active by running around 10 miles a week, playing baseketball, and hitting the gym. I bet a 38 year old Dan Henderson can run faster, jump higher, lift more, and forearm shiver me into oblivion like he did Bisping. Why? Because Hendo is a professional athlete with a god given ability and talents, not to mention his training regimen which keeps him in tip top shape. Furthermore, MMA is more than just "physical activity". Not only does it require athleticism (strength, speed, agility, etc...) but also requires TECHNIQUE, STRATEGY, and most of all MENTAL FORTITUDE. Couture is an EXCELLENT example of that. 35 year old Randy was probably in better physical shape than 42 year old Randy, but it is hard to make the argument that 35 year old Randy is a better fighter than 42 year old Randy was. He has said it before in past interviews, but Couture readily admits that a big part of this had to do with his mental state of mind (related to his prior marriage). There is more to being an elite level fighter than just being the biggest, strongest, fastest.

I disagree again that Lesnar as of now is a "good" fighter. Whether you recognize it or not, he is the defending champion of the premier MMA organization in the world. There are (arguably) less than 10 people in the world who can do what he does at that level. If you are one of the 10 best in the world at what you do be it fighting, spelling, tiddlywinks, whatever, that makes you GREAT at what you do.

You ask for Lesnar to fight some "real" competition over an "extended period of time"
Call me crazy but Mir, Herring, and Couture is real competition to me. As far as time goes... he has no control of that. He fights when they ask him to and whoever they put up against him. This may sound like borderline blasphemy to some, but look at The Prodigy and the start to his career. Borderline comes out of nowhere and doesnt just beat recognized highly respectable dudes, he straight up murks em. Back in those days, Din Thomas and Caol Uno weren't just tomato can 155ers. These dudes were considered high level guys in that weight class and BJ came out like gangbusters and took them to school. He did not have time or an extensive record to back him up, but people knew they were watching something special. Same goes for Brock. When you see this guy fight you know he is a special fighter and there is a chance (not saying its a lock, but atleast a chance) that he may go down as one of the most dominant HW fighters ever. Maybe I am biased cause I got to see Brock's first fight live and in person, but even against a can like Hong Man Choi, I left the Coliseum STUNNED like WOW... this guy is going to be a monster once his technique develops. You could just tell.

I read all of that and I don't disagree with much of it. I already made the points that I want o make in earlier posts so I don't just want to keeprestating them.
Why are some of you folk so bothered by the notion that Lesnar has more to prove before he can be regarded as a great mma fighter?

I mean, damn. Demon's panties are all up in a bunch.
Maybe he couldn't buy Lesnar's post fight jockstrap?

[table][tr][td]
Is There a Solution to the Emelianenko/UFC Puzzle?
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Options: [img]http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/icons/email_icon.gif[/img] Email Article | [img]http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/icons/printer_icon.gif[/img] Printer Friendly [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
thumbnail_crop.php

Friday, July 17, 2009
by Jake Rossen (jrossen@sherdog.com)

I can barely negotiate the tying of my own shoes, let alone contractual intricacies, but something was dropped in my lap this week that probably bears mentioning: Blog reader Jonathan F, who claims to be a corporate lawyer at a firm in New York, believes he sees a possible solution to the UFC/Fedor Emelianenko legal stand-off that seems to prohibit the world's best Russian athlete from participating in the UFC.

The main wrinkle: that the UFC wants Emelianenko, like all of their fighters, to remain tied to the company for as long as he holds a title. In other words, if Emelianenko signs a four-fight deal with the promotion, and is champion after the fourth fight, he is not free to compete elsewhere: He must remain with the UFC until losing his belt.

The iron, according to Jonathan: the "shotgun clause," a passage that would allow Emelianenko to make a bid to buy out the remainder of his contract. "The UFC then has the option of allowing Fedor to buy out his contract, or of paying Fedor an amount equal to the bid amount to stay," Jonathan writes. "For example, he can offer the UFC $100 to buy himself out of his contract. The UFC can then accept his $100 buyout, in which case Fedor is free, or they can pay him $100 to stay."

Those numbers are only examples -- Emelianenko is worth at least $200, if not more -- but it is an interesting proposition. Emelianenko can buy himself out if options become more attractive elsewhere, and the UFC can keep him under lockdown providing they remit the bonus.

Problem solved. I will be at the United Nations building later this afternoon for autographs.
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
Dana tryna get up in that *$+
laugh.gif
sick.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

^Dude, you are that annonying !%% sports know-it-all that in reality knows very little. You browse forums, watch fights, buy a TaopouT shirt and thinks that makes him an 'expert' on said topic. Pure comedy.
this is why I hate watching MMA outside the comfort of my home.

blaberry mouth + alcohol = bad night out watching MMA.

I was watchin 100 last Saturday with my buddy's friend and this dude was that know-it-all type...it was annoying as F
smh.gif
He's one of them folkswho'd say "WHOAAAA" to a take down
alien.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

^Dude, you are that annonying !%% sports know-it-all that in reality knows very little. You browse forums, watch fights, buy a TaopouT shirt and thinks that makes him an 'expert' on said topic. Pure comedy.
this is why I hate watching MMA outside the comfort of my home.

blaberry mouth + alcohol = bad night out watching MMA.

I was watchin 100 last Saturday with my buddy's friend and this dude was that know-it-all type...it was annoying as F
smh.gif
He's one of them folks who'd say "WHOAAAA" to a take down
alien.gif
indifferent.gif

um my good sir some of those takedowns are "WHOA" worthy and most of the time those takedowns are a huge change in the fight so ya

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by x1xJIGSAWx1x

Originally Posted by cquan05

What does everyone think about Tito Vs Franklin @ 103? My bad if it's been discussed already.........
ohwell.gif

I havent heard anything about this. Im excited to see how franklin is going to do against 205 fighters now.

franklin has already fought at 205 multiple times.

any tito/ufc talk is just speculation at this point as he has yet to sign anywhere.
owned-1602.jpg

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

Okay, I lied. Maybe top 9.

Had to check myself there.
I'm trying to figure out how he went from Top 3 heavy to being fringe Top 10. How does a decent showing against Lesnar put him under thoseguys? Yet Werdum lost to Dos Santos, Mir looked horrible against Brock, Carwin hasn't beat anyone worth noting yet, and Overeem has only beat Mark Hunt andGary Goodridge. And if he beats Nog, where are you putting him?

^ I agree, I think that the beginning of the 2nd Mir looked good standing but Brock's Strength is too much

Sherdog's latest rankings 7/16/09
1. Fedor
2. Barnett
3. Brock
4. Mir
5. Nog
6. THE NATURAL
7. Brett Rogers
8. AA
9. Carwin
10. Overeem
Other Contenders. JUNIOR DOS SANTOS, Fedor's Brother, Snowman, Rothwell, Werdum

My Personal Rankings
1. Fedor
2. Brock
3. Dos Santos
4. Barnett
5. Mir
6. The Natural
7. Carwin
8. Werdum
9. Nog
10. Rogers

I think Forrest will have his moments and last all 3 rounds, but I don't see him doing enough to win this fight. One of the biggest things with Forrest isthat he's huge for 205 at 6'3, but Silva is 6'2 and has a long lanky build as well. It'll be tough for Forrest to use his size advantage whenit's not that big of an advantage against Silva. Forrest's cardio also gets him through fights but I don't see that being a problem for Silvaeither. And unlike Rampage I'm pretty sure Silva knows how to check a kick
laugh.gif

I just think that Forrest with his toughness wont be a push over like a lot of Silva's recent opponents, in the sense that Silva was just outrightdominant. I do see this fight as a decision but not a unanimous. I just think Forrest can def win...

Michael Bisping, Ross Pearson and James Wilks tentatively slotted for UFC 105 in Manchester
by Dann Stupp on Jul 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm ET

In his first fight since a brutal knockout loss to Dan Henderson earlier this month at UFC 100, Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) is tentatively slated tocompete at UFC 105 when the UFC returns to the U.K.

MMABay, a U.K.-based outlet with ties to Bisping's Wolfslair gym, first reported the plans. A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com(www.mmajunkie.com) it's a "tentative" booking and that no opponent has been determined.

The MMAjunkie.com source also said the UFC plans to book lightweight Ross Pearson (9-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and welterweight James Wilks (6-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), Team U.K.fighters who won their respective weight classes on the recent ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," for the show.

It airs for free in the U.S.; back in June, MMAjunkie.com first reported that UFC 105 would took place in Manchester, England, and air via same-day tape delayon Spike TV.

The event takes place at the 16,000-seat Manchester Evening News Arena, which also hosted UFC 70 in April 2007.

Were it not for the loss to Henderson, Bisping could very well be fighting UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 105. Instead, after a brutalsecond-round knockout to Henderson (his rival coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 9"), Bisping will now look to get back into the title picture. Afterstarting his career with 14 consecutive wins, he suffered a split-decision loss to Rashad Evans in late 2007. He had posted three consecutive wins before theloss to Henderson, his first career loss via stoppage.

Pearson, meanwhile, defeated fellow Team U.K. fighter Andre Winner via unanimous decision to win the "TUF" lightweight championship a month ago. Itwas the Cage Rage veteran's eighth win in his past nine fights. Pearson had posted seven straight wins via stoppage before the decision victory.

Wilks will go for his fifth straight win when he returns to the cage. After a successful "TUF" run, he topped fellow finalist DaMarques Johnson viafirst-round submission to win the season-nine welterweight championship. The U.K. native and now-California-based fighter has posted stoppages in all six ofhis career victories.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

I'm trying to figure out how he went from Top 3 heavy to being fringe Top 10. How does a decent showing against Lesnar put him under those guys? Yet Werdum lost to Dos Santos, Mir looked horrible against Brock, Carwin hasn't beat anyone worth noting yet, and Overeem has only beat Mark Hunt and Gary Goodridge. And if he beats Nog, where are you putting him?
Uhh, I'm having a hard time ranking him above those people on the list since he's only had one fight since 2007. You really think Randywas top 3 over the last 2 years?

If he beats Nog, that say more about the decline of Nog than the actual quality of Couture. "Mir looked horrible", but he made Big Nog look like,well how Big Nog looks: like a 50 year old man.

I'm trying to make my list based on objective observations based on their fights, not just "oh, this person beat this guy, so this means he'sautomatically better". That only works if everybody fights everybody, like in team sports. If you disagree, we can agree to disagree.

I think Forrest will have his moments and last all 3 rounds, but I don't see him doing enough to win this fight. One of the biggest things with Forrest is that he's huge for 205 at 6'3, but Silva is 6'2 and has a long lanky build as well. It'll be tough for Forrest to use his size advantage when it's not that big of an advantage against Silva. Forrest's cardio also gets him through fights but I don't see that being a problem for Silva either. And unlike Rampage I'm pretty sure Silva knows how to check a kick
laugh.gif

the size advantage is still going to be there. forrest walks around somewhere around 230+ whereas silva floats just comfortably comfortably around the limit at210-215.

regardless, if forrest tries to trade at all then it's over.

silva by tko in round 2.

then it's on to Silva/GSP.

okami vs. sonnen. at 104.
okami getting the runaround at 185
smh.gif

he should the next up for a a title shot.

at least match him up with someone like hendo.

he likely wouldnt beat hendo but at least treat him like he's run through most of 185, which he has, instead of just throwing him in there with any random middleweight who's time table matches up.

Okami will handle Sonnen
pimp.gif

Hendo v Okami would be
smokin.gif

hendo is looking pretty good right now. and Okami is #2 in the world.

id pick Okami. Hes boringly efficient. I think he could pull it off... hell, Misaki did.

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

okami vs. sonnen. at 104.

okami getting the runaround at 185
smh.gif

he should the next up for a a title shot.

at least match him up with someone like hendo.

he likely wouldnt beat hendo but at least treat him like he's run through most of 185, which he has, instead of just throwing him in there with any random middleweight who's time table matches up.
Okami will handle Sonnen
pimp.gif

Hendo v Okami would be
smokin.gif

hendo is looking pretty good right now. and Okami is #2 in the world.

id pick Okami. Hes boringly efficient. I think he could pull it off... hell, Misaki did.

misaki is a lot more aggressive especially with his striking.

okami might just let hendo follow him around the cage looking for a big shot until he can attempt a takedown on hendo.

biding time while looking for some sort of opening got bisping knocked into another dimension.

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

I'm trying to figure out how he went from Top 3 heavy to being fringe Top 10. How does a decent showing against Lesnar put him under those guys? Yet Werdum lost to Dos Santos, Mir looked horrible against Brock, Carwin hasn't beat anyone worth noting yet, and Overeem has only beat Mark Hunt and Gary Goodridge. And if he beats Nog, where are you putting him?
Uhh, I'm having a hard time ranking him above those people on the list since he's only had one fight since 2007. You really think Randy was top 3 over the last 2 years?

If he beats Nog, that say more about the decline of Nog than the actual quality of Couture. "Mir looked horrible", but he made Big Nog look like, well how Big Nog looks: like a 50 year old man.

I'm trying to make my list based on objective observations based on their fights, not just "oh, this person beat this guy, so this means he's automatically better". That only works if everybody fights everybody, like in team sports. If you disagree, we can agree to disagree.
This is really subjective because the inactivity thing can lean one person one way or another. I really don't put much weight intoinactivity, I'd rather put more weight in how the person did against their competition and how strong his opponent is. Even with the inactivity he stillgave the person who is No. 2 (I'm assuming it's in order) the best fight so far, much better then Mir did who is fourth on your list. Fight rankingsare hard to do because styles can really influence which way a fight can go.

Fedor
Lesnar
Nog
Mir
Carwin
Overeem
Werdum
Velazquez
Barnett

Uhh, I'm having a hard time ranking him above those people on the list since he's only had one fight since 2007. You really think Randy was top 3 over the last 2 years?

If he beats Nog, that say more about the decline of Nog than the actual quality of Couture. "Mir looked horrible", but he made Big Nog look like, well how Big Nog looks: like a 50 year old man.

I'm trying to make my list based on objective observations based on their fights, not just "oh, this person beat this guy, so this means he's automatically better". That only works if everybody fights everybody, like in team sports. If you disagree, we can agree to disagree.
This is really subjective because the inactivity thing can lean one person one way or another. I really don't put much weight into inactivity, I'd rather put more weight in how the person did against their competition and how strong his opponent is. Even with the inactivity he still gave the person who is No. 2 (I'm assuming it's in order) the best fight so far, much better then Mir did who is fourth on your list. Fight rankings are hard to do because styles can really influence which way a fight can go.
Oh, okay. Yeah, that's not in order.

I was just trying to list people who I thought were better than Randy.

That should adjust the perception of that list hopefully a little bit.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Do people really think Silva winning is a shoe in? Why is no one giving Forrest any chance?
I'm saying Forrest wins

He usually shows up to fights when people doubt him

Originally Posted by drock2010

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Do people really think Silva winning is a shoe in? Why is no one giving Forrest any chance?
I'm saying Forrest wins

He usually shows up to fights when people doubt him

you have to look at this logically.

Forget about the fact that Forrest "shows up" when people doubt it. Lets break this down component by component

Size/Strength - Although Forrest is a bigger 205er, Its not like he's going to be big enough to just bully Silva around. Like someone mentioned, theirwalk around weight difference is maybe 10-15lbs. But size does NOT equate strength. Silva is deceivingly strong for having such a lanky body. If Forrestwants to try and utilize his perceived size/strength advantage by getting in tight, trying to impose his will in the clinch... hahahaha RIP.

Standup/Striking - Not even worth getting into really as there is no doubt that Silva is the superior striker by a mile

Submission/Ground Game - Silva is a black belt. Not sure if Forrest is, although many people say he has a black belt caliber jits game. At best its a washand their respective sub games cancel each other out. In the event Silva ends up on the bottom, his defense from the guard is pretty solid, especially if hecan lock on that body triangle with his long !@# legs.

Wrestling/Takedown defense - Forrest isnt really a takedown/wrestling stud by any stretch of the imagination. Furthermore, Silva has excellent takedowndefense as he has exhibited in the past.

So how do you see Forrest winning this?

1. Punchers Chance/KO - Not going to happen. Forrest doesnt really have KO power. in his hands. Nothing I've seen leads me to believe Silva has asuspect chin. Although there is a slight chance that Forrest might catch him flush with a lucky punch, I dont think it will be enough to put Silva out. Atbest it might knock him down and we will have to see if Silva can recover and work from the guard.

2. Takedown and work from top position for GnP or subs - Not going to happen. Silva's takedown defense (in comparison to Forrests wrestling) will stiflemost takedown attempts, and Forrest very well may eat a knee/kick for his troubles if he continues to pursue a takedown. If this happens to be Forrests'strategy (highly unlikely) be prepared to see Silva sprawl and brawl his way to a dominant beating of a Victory.

3. Clinch game/Dirty Box - hahahaha like I said... RIP Forrest if he tries this. Ask Ace how he did in the clinch... twice...

4. Flying Scissor to heel hook - Forrest better call up Chonan for some pointers. This may be the only way to beat the Spider.

5. Outpoint/Decision - the only chance I see is for Forrest to pull out a decision if he keeps his distance, strikes for points, and stays away from damage. Only problem is this. If Adelaide Byrd is a judge, Forrest CAN NOT win on her card cause he is an ugly mofo [See what happened when Ms. Byrd was mesmerized bythe sexyness that is Sexyama in awarding him a questionable 30-27 decision).

^^Thank you Mojo, that has to be one of the best/most detailed breakdowns of a fight I've seen on NT. I agree with you on all points as well, as I haveSilva winning by TKO in the 2nd.

I really can't wait to see this Silva vs. Forest match. Cause catz are gassing Silva up like an MMA god. it's getting kinda of irritating

Back
Top Bottom