:::[Official MNF] San Francisco 49ers vs. Chicago Bears @ Candlestick 11/19:::

The difference between Alex's and Kaep's throws in person is pretty drastic. Kaep had a great game, made some excellent throws. Defense showed why its still best in the leagues, shouldve been a shutout. O-line protected very well. Special teams played great. And I thought Harbaugh and the coaching staff did an excellent job calling plays and staying aggressive. With that being said, lets not hand Kaep the keys to the city off one great game. Guy is just scratching his surface, still got a long ways to go.

Alex Smith went to the NFC championship last season and has a winning record this season and 49ers fans want him gone lol

If you're not a 49ers fan or have watched them consistently the last, oh, 10 years we don't expect you to fully understand how much our patience has worn thin with him. He had a very good year last year, but even in a system that's minimized his mistakes and maximized his strengths he's still very very flawed. Flawed and inconsistent. We thought maybe he'd grown and gotten better since last year, but basically he's just plateaued. Any improvement out of him would be marginal at best.

Its fine I don't care who's in at QB, it's just funny that people want Colin in when he has only 1 win and a tie.

Last edited:
And since we're here, was it you MMG when we talking about Frank Gore making folks miss? I can't remember, but if so, that boy is juking Bears left and right. First man is missing that tackle :lol:

It was me that brought Frank Gores ability to make defenders miss. Guy still got that after all these years. Shame most people outside of the Bay slept on him during his prime years when the Niners were struggling. In his prime, I'd take him over any RB right now except fer AP. Might be the most under rated RB of all time. Yes, of all time.

Last edited:
Alex Smith went to the NFC championship last season and has a winning record this season and 49ers fans want him gone lol

Trent Dilfer was cut during the offseason that followed the Ravens winning the Superbowl.

I never thought I would say this, but his job is safe as long as Kaepernick is his back up.  I mean, it's like Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow,..
How is this situation like Sanchez and Tebow? Did you see how Kaep played?
laugh.gif
I'm not saying that he is going to take over the role because no one knows yet, but to say Alex's job is safe and this is like Sanchez and Tebow is laughable. If Smith isn't ready next week and Kaep plays like this, we have a real QB controversy.
pimp.gif
It's not like Tebow hasn't had any great games, he won a playoff game in OT.  Kaepernick is great at scrambling for extra yards, but I think he still needs to work on finding open receivers and throwing.  With this team being ready for the Super Bowl, I don't see how Harbaugh can opt for Kaepernick over Smith, disregarding injuries...

I never thought I would say this, but his job is safe as long as Kaepernick is his back up.  I mean, it's like Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow,..

How is this situation like Sanchez and Tebow? Did you see how Kaep played? :lol: I'm not saying that he is going to take over the role because no one knows yet, but to say Alex's job is safe and this is like Sanchez and Tebow is laughable. If Smith isn't ready next week and Kaep plays like this, we have a real QB controversy. :pimp:

It's not like Tebow hasn't had any great games, he won a playoff game in OT.  Kaepernick is great at scrambling for extra yards, but I think he still needs to work on finding open receivers and throwing.  With this team being ready for the Super Bowl, I don't see how Harbaugh can opt for Kaepernick over Smith, disregarding injuries...

Did you NOT watch the game? All he can do is scramble for extra yards? Again, did you NOT watch the game?

Kaep did this against the Bears. I don't like to jump te gun, but, as Niner fans, it's ok to evaluate the two QBs we have. Yes, Alex Smith got us to where we were last year, but, can he lead us all the way? Losing to the Giants in the NFC championship was partly his fault and he's not too flexible when things are looking bad.

More underappreciated than Thomas Jones?

I would say yes. Look at what he's been able to do this season at 29, having fought thru multiple injuries to his hips and legs, now that he has a good o-line. Despite the injuries and crappy o-line in the past, he should still be able to break 10,000 yards rushing. If Gore had this kinda help earlier in his career, who knows what his stats would be looking like.

What Kaepernick can do/What Alex can't do
- Improvise when the play breaks down
- Throw in between tight windows
- Make accurate passes to second and third reads
- Actually look at second and third reads
- Throw the ball with accuracy more than 20 yards
- Make Randy Moss grab his hand after missing a pass
Basically Kaepernick's physical tools are superior to Alex Smith and his confidence is growing. He's not shook or wide eyed like we'd seen him in the past. He believes, and we believe, that he belongs.

QFT

Kap's ability to throw down field, while hitting receivers in stride is what impresses me the most. Indeed, Alex Smith can throw a 25+yard pass, but how many times do wide open receivers have to stop and come back to the ball or wait for it to arrive, allowing the secondary to catch up?

Granted the today, the defense played extremely well, our pass/run game was balanced, and the o-line gave Kap plenty of time to throw the ball -pretty much all things that any QB would thrive in- Kap kept his composure against one of the best defenses in the league. Someone stated it earlier, Alex Smith wilts in the face of good defenses. Smith's played solid games in almost all the wins this season, but completely disappears in our losses. I can't stand watching this guy and the 49ers offense once the team plays from behind in the 1st quarter.

My biggest concern with Alex Smith is how will he respond in playoffs if we face a defense like the Giants or the Bears (again)?

Such a great game last night, and it was more of a statement to say that WE have the best defense in the league.  I can't believe folks really thought the Bears had the best defense in the league. 

CK needs to start, Alex Smith got kinda flustered earlier in the season when they were bringing CK in on those wildcat plays. If he can't handle the little pressure that brought theres no way he can handle a real QB controversy.

a big thing yesterday about the game was the play calling.
Did it change from prior games? Nope, not at all.
Kaep threw the ball down field more, threw it in tight coverage and most importantly, he gave his WRs a chance to make plays. It's really night and day when you look at both QBs.

His 1st game and he's already smart enough to look for Vernon Davis (6/83yds/1td).

Last edited:
Smith should be the starter if he is healthy and ready to go, he's earned it.

The man has completed 25 of 27 passes until he got hurt, and has a 104 QB rating for 3rd in the NFL.

End of story

3rd highest yard per attempt behind Peyton and Cam as well. Only QB with 70% completions
Switching qbs week 12 during a playoff hunt makes no sense
Get Kaepernick in for some plays

Last edited:
Smith should be the starter if he is healthy and ready to go, he's earned it.
Switching qbs week 12 during a playoff hunt makes no sense
I disagree on both points.  Reason being is our one and only problem as a TEAM has been the play of our quarterback this year, more specifically the play of Alex Smith.  I know there is no way of finding this out, but I don't see Alex Smith putting up those same numbers last night if not better that Colin put up against the Bears.  The Bears have a legit defense, and Colin went to work last night like it was nothing.  Now Colin might not put up that type of performance every game, but from what I saw he gives us the best chances at having a good QB running the offense game after game. 

look like our WR was enjoying those passes as well. We been missing those long throw with Alex. i mean cmon, alex throw for like 2 yards on 3rd and 7 ect

Back
Top Bottom