[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

roll.gif

This is beyond ridiculous.

I know it's only a game and a half, but we're going back to not being able to get a runner in scoring position in with no outs. Last night withBeltran's lead-off triple and again tonight with men on. I'm not sweating it like we're back to square one, it's just frustrating.

No execution, three straight innings with a runner on 3rd and 1 out...double play, double play, K looking, K looking.

I don't care how good the Reds have been playing lately or how good their home record is, the Mets hitters completely bailed out the Reds pitchingtonight.....ugly game overall.

Good night.

That 7th inning with bases load and 1 out reminded me of Game 7 and Adam Wainwright's K of Beltran. Except this spot was far less important and it happenedtwice. Tonight I knew it was coming to Beltran and I thought he wouldn't swing.

Non-execution by the Mets again...

Big Mike on the mound tomorrow. Let's get it...

Guess the break really cooled off the team slightly. If it weren't for that comeback Game 1 the series would have been lost already.

Phillies lost so its no big deal (its no big deal if they won either). You're not going to get the big hits every night, but you need to hit sac flys andget those runners in from 3rd. Ollie with a 2-3 run lead is a different ball game.

Get the split tomm and i'm straight.

Man, that play that Brandon Phillips did...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

One of the sweetest plays I've seen on a ball hit towards the right side.

I have no problem with Beltran stealing, force the issue.

Reds have played very well as of late, so have the Mets.....end result a 2-2 split.

Tied for 1st place, Phillies next at home.

Time to be on top alone.

Good, tough win by the Mets. They would have wilted earlier in the year in a game like this.

Let's go for the sweep this week
pimp.gif

Pelfrey didn't have his sinker working today, was squeezed a bit by the umps, yet he did what most of our starters couldn't do......go 7 strong andkeep the Mets in the game.

I am confident that he is going to be a top of the rotation guy next season, he has the stuff.

Even with the 2-2 split, it wasn't fun seeing us struggle with RISP, especially with 0 or 1 out. That $@%@ has got to go back to the way it was before thebreak if we want to continue to be successful. I'll take a road split though, just want to see us get back on track.

Mets are still hitting (with the exception of the Arroyo game, he shus them down every time), but you can't get the big hits EVERY game that's just howbaseball is.

Wagner went in for an MRI to check his shoulder, which he admitted has been nagging him lately but bothered him during yesterday's outing.

He may not pitch in the 1st Philly's game, so probably Duaner or Smith will close.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Mets are still hitting (with the exception of the Arroyo game, he shus them down every time), but you can't get the big hits EVERY game that's just how baseball is.

Wagner went in for an MRI to check his shoulder, which he admitted has been nagging him lately but bothered him during yesterday's outing.

He may not pitch in the 1st Philly's game, so probably Duaner or Smith will close.

Just saw he didn't end up going for an MRI, guess they'll just monitor it.

Anyway, about the "big hits"...you do realize we left something like 30+ runners on in the last two games? I'm not trying to be a downer, butthat's pathetic and that's exactly what was our biggest problem offensively when we were struggling. I know there are gonna be some games when thingsdon't click, but it was an ongoing issue prior to the winning streak. Don't be like Willie with the "that's just how baseball is"rhetoric.
tongue.gif

PS. Metsblog.com should get some props for info and is a good reference for news.

It was an ugly series overall and sometimes it just doesn't work out. Game 3 was disgusting with the lack of sac fly's or ground balls with a man on3rd and 1 out, but the 4th game they executed more efficiently and it was a back and forth game the entire way. Its a 2-2 split vs two hot teams right now,I'm straight.

from metsblog

Note: No MRI for Wagner
By Mike Nichols - Jul 21, 2008 11:10 am

At his blog for Newsday, Anthony Rieber reports Billy Wagner will not have an MRI today on his left shoulder.

According to Lennon, Wagner felt better on the flight home from Cincinnati and may see a doctor today if he wakes up with tightness in his shoulder.

From Newsday:
[h1]http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spmnotes215771451jul21,0,7171144.story[/h1]
[h1]Mets might make a move at trade deadline[/h1]

41135593.jpg

Seattle Mariners outfielder Raul Ibanez is one player the Mets may be targeting as the MLB trade deadline approaches. (AP Photo)
CINCINNATI - With the July 31 trade deadline 10 days away, Mets manager Jerry Manuel said yesterday he expects the team will be able to make a move.

"I think because of the position we're in, I think it's going to be entertained very strongly," he said. "I think any team that is where we are or feels like they have a shot at this point in the season, with the deadline and the way we've played, I think that'd be strongly entertained."

Manuel has made it no secret he'd like to see general manager Omar Minaya pick up a big bat for the outfield. Matt Holliday, Jason Bay and even Xavier Nady are probably out of the Mets' reach, so he might have to "settle" for Seattle's Raul Ibañez or Cleveland's Casey Blake.

Manuel said he is still counting on a return from rightfielder Ryan Church, who is out indefinitely with migraines. Church will be re-evaluated today when the Mets return to New York.

But even if Church does play and is able to stay on the field - two things that are not certain - the Mets still need a replacement for Moises Alou, who will have season-ending surgery on his left hamstring tomorrow.

Fernando Tatis and Endy Chavez have done a nice job filling in, but even Manuel admits: "Those guys have played surprisingly well. I don't know if you can expect that to continue."

Manuel said he would be OK staying with the team he has - "These are the same guys who won 10 in a row," he said - but also knows Minaya is not shy about making deadline deals.

"I know Omar loves to kind of do those types of things, anyway," he said. "What it is, I have no idea."

Extra bases

Pedro Martinez (groin) said he felt much better after a long-tossing session and is "pushing for" a start next weekend ... Probables for the Phillies series: tomorrow, Johan Santana vs. Joe Blanton; Wednesday, John Maine vs. Brett Myers; Thursday afternoon, Oliver Perez vs. Jamie Moyer.

IF Church can come back and play effectively, I honestly would probably rather not see a deal get done. I'd love to have Holliday or Nady, but at whatcost?

I'll be at tomorrow night's game, get to see Johan for the 3rd time. We NEED to take this series. You'd think our 3 starters have theircounterparts outmatched, but we'll have to see.

Back
Top Bottom