[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

PS: Some spring training photos (catching helmet is dope).

Schneider
st11308a.jpg

Ollie, Pelfrey, Maine
st11308b.jpg

Juan Padilla, Schneider, Wright
st11308c.jpg

st11308d.jpg

CANNOT WAIT for the season to start...Seriously...Im amped...Get It Done Johan (and Jose and David and Carlos and Pedro)...Get It Done...
(Im seriously worried about Alou holding up for anywhere near a full season though)

Alou will never ever play a full season again, pretty much 80-100 games, but they have the bench to fill any holes throughout the course of the season.

The key to this season is HEALTH, when the Mets made their run in 06' they had to face a tough veteran Cards team WITHOUT their top 2 pitchers in Duque ANDpedro, and their top bullpen arm in Duaner. Last year, once Duque went out yet again and Pedro was still rehabbing, nobody could go over 5 innings and the penwas WORN DOWN.

Having Johan is HUGE because he is an innings easter and is a proven stopper and a TRUE ace, and adds a lot of depth to the staff.

Mez you got an early start to this years Mets season thread, and the new Catchers gear is cool unlike the trash Lo Duca used to wear.

My Braves are going to put up a tough fight this year, this should be an interesting year 3 teams battling for the NL east. J RAIN 23 better not come in hereand say its a 4 team race.
roll.gif

Yea, seeing the NL Central thread got things going early for me.

Aside from this thread, I'm sure there will be an NL East post shortly.

You think that would be best? I know you Mets fans don't want us Braves fans in the same thread.

Are there any Phillies fans on NT?

There are a few Phillies fans, prob the same amt as Braves fans.

Well, even if there is an NL East thread, this post will still be up and running for Mets fans to have discussions aside from the actual games (word to the NYKnicks post).

Its been going well for the past 4 years so it'll be nice to see this thread continue to grow.

What do you mean Milledge would never get pt here? He would've been the starting RF. And he would be a better fit than Church. This team desperately needsanother right handed hitter.

Maine
pimp.gif
. Im expecting an all-star appearance this year.

I only say no PT just for the mere fact that Omar/Willie held a grudge against the kid b/c of his distractions...regardless of how big/small they were. Seemslike they never liked the kid from day 1, but I do agree another RH hitter would be a good fit (word to Xavier Nady).

If Maine has a similar first half as last season, there is no doubt in my mind he'd make the all star team.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
cant wait for the amazins to start the season... You can catch me at TurnerField when the Mets come to town... and definetly when Johan comes to pitch against the braves...
I have such a bitter taste from last season but now we have Johan to wash that down (no hmo)

We should come out of the gates runnning and no reason why we should look back. Our team is stacked and our starting pitching is now ready for a championshiprun. A few new paces in the dugout but overall i have faith that my boys will bring a championship to Queens. Look for us to have the NL East on lock allseason long!

J RAIN 23 better not come in here and say its a 4 team race.
washington nationals = 2008 nl wild card winners
pimp.gif
y'allthink we overachieved last yr? that was just the appetizer.

here's how i see the nl east playing out

1. phillies
2. NATS
3. mutts
4. braves
5. marlins

Mez, can you send me the Mets sig? I lost it when I switched to the Nets and I wanna be ready for Opening Day
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Health and bullpen are my only concerns.
I'm excited, hope to fly out for a homestand in Sept or something.

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/02/15/burkhardt-el-duque-says-he-is-a-starter/
just talked with SNY's Kevin Burkhardt
1397299772_344074f0f6_m.jpg
again…he says
Orlando Hernandez talked with reporters a few minutes ago, and said, "I think I'm in the rotation. I not go to bullpen. I'm happy on mound as a starting pitcher."
…according to kevin, el duque didn't say it in a defiant way, it was sort of like he was just stating the facts…

…also, el duque says, because of his injury last season, he did not start his ritual running program until late in the off-season…nevertheless, he feels good…

…i'll be honest, burkhardt's first words to me were, "Orlando Hernandez is here, and," and then there was a bit of pause…so, of course, i was prepared to hear, "and he's hurt already," but, fortunately, that was not the case…

…talk about classic conditioning…

Burkhardt will air a portion of Hernandez's chat with reporters during Geico SportsNite at 6 pm on
2266285897_0e6d0e2b20.jpg

Nice article on Delgado in my local paper today. If he can just have a consistent, solid year, we'll be in good shape.

[h1]Delgado expecting big things this season[/h1]
By John Delcos
The Journal News • February 19, 2008

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - Carlos Delgado wasn't looking for excuses. He knew he just stunk.

At 35, there were obvious concerns about his age, and following surgery on his hand and elbow in the winter after his 38-homer 2006 season, there werequestions about his health.

But was the worst season of his career an aberration or the beginning of a slide? Was age catching up to him? Was he playing hurt?

"I wish it was that," a fit and easy-smiling Delgado said yesterday. "Then I would have an explanation. I just had a bad year."

A model of consistency, Delgado for the first time in 10 years didn't hit 30 homers and drive in at least 90 runs. He hit 24 homers with 87 RBI, numbersfalling short of a $14.5 million salary.

"Carlos Delgado at 70 percent is better than most guys at 100 percent," David Wright said. "Even in a down year, he was stillproductive."

Delgado doesn't want to hear that. He knows mechanically he was a mess and mentally he was worse. Both the ups and downs were extreme, with far too muchtime in the valley.

"Every year it's going to happen, but just not that long," Delgado said of those paralyzing out-of-sync stretches, reminiscent of the oldGodzilla movies where the dialogue is always a beat behind.

"It's almost impossible to have a good year if you struggle for three months."

Hitting is about muscle memory, and quite simply, Delgado forgot.

"I wasn't as focused as I needed to be," Delgado said. "I ended up thinking too much and tried to fix it too quick. I needed to stop fora second and make an adjustment and take it from there."

Instead, Delgado hopped from one adjustment to the next like a channel surfer. But he never made the right one, which was to retreat and start over.

The more he struggled, the more frustrated he became. The more he pressed, the more he flailed at pitches, often late, giving the impression that his handshad betrayed him. And his bat speed was a crawl.

"I don't think bat speed was a problem," Delgado said. "Timing was the problem. It's hard to develop timing when you're jumpingout there and collapsing your back side. My hands are still good. It's a matter of getting into hitting position."

As the season progressed, it was his legs that gave out. He missed a week in August with a hyperextended left knee. He missed nearly three weeks inSeptember with a strained right hip flexor.

Somehow, it was only fitting that he fractured his left hand in his first at-bat of the season's final game when he was hit by a Dontrelle Willisfastball.

"A horrible end to a horrible season," he said.

So what the veteran of over 6,500 at-bats did after the cast was removed was return to his pre-Little League days.

That would be T-ball.

Delgado eschewed the temptation to get in the box and start swinging. He plopped a ball on a tee, set his feet and hands, went through a slow-motion swingto take stock of all the moving parts, then swung hard.

Over and over and over again.

He sculpted his swing until he again experienced the fluidity all hitters seek.

"I broke it down like I was learning to hit for the first time," Delgado. "I was more mechanical."

Eventually, his body memorized those mechanics. Delgado said his hand has mended. He is confident last year was an aberration.

"I feel great," he said. "Normal routine; no special needs."

Mets manager Willie Randolph thinks the same.

"He's going to have a big year, and we're going to need him to step up," Randolph said. "I know he's the type of player who wantsto be accountable. I have a real good vibe about him this year."

Notes: Reliever Duaner Sanchez is pleased with how he is throwing. "I am where I need to be right now," Sanchez said."I'm feeling good right now." ... Second baseman Luis Castillo said his knees are sound and anticipates stealing more bases. ... Outfielder EndyChavez sprained his left ankle and pulled his right hamstring playing winter ball, but said he'll be ready when the exhibition games start next week.

Man I am so excited for this season. As long as there are no major injuries this team has no excuse to not play in the NLCS.

Man if Perez can stay consistent, and with Pedro healthy with gas in the tank, Johan, and Maine building on last year, Duaner back healthy, Heilman back in nopressure situations
laugh.gif
, and the sandman Bwags sending people to bedearly. the Mets will have one of the most formidable pitching staffs (SP to closer) in the majors.
pimp.gif

No excuses this year felas.

Very hyped for this season although I'm still on a bit of a Super Bowl high. Getting Johan was huge and obviously bolsters the rotation. Duaner Sanchezreturning is hopefully promising and our lineup is still legit. Delgado needs to forget about last season and have a comeback year.

Also, thanks for the pics. Keep 'em coming....

I hope its as easy as Delgado looking back at everything and just trying to recreate everything mechanically. I can't imagine him having two seasons in arow as bad as the prior one, so I have some hope.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I hope its as easy as Delgado looking back at everything and just trying to recreate everything mechanically. I can't imagine him having two seasons in a row as bad as the prior one, so I have some hope.

I think he'll be back...He just needs to find the bat speed again and he'll do just fine.

There are some good streaming video clips on NYMets.com of the team so far, ncluding a Duaner Sanchez interview and how he feels healthy (finally), and a JohanSantana bullpen session.

Anyone enter and win the drawing for Opening Day tix? I got my e-mail the other day, no go.

Back
Top Bottom