[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

more Mets rumors

With Alou Out, Mets Looking At Ibañez
By Alejandro Leal [July 12 at 10:56am CST]

The possible career-ending injury to Moises Alou means the Mets have to look at the trade market for a replacement, and baseball sources are tellingNewsday's Anthony Rieber the Mariner's Raul Ibañez is a possibility.

Joel Sherman of the NY Post reports that if the Mets are willing to take some money, "they might be able to use a Double-A corner player such as MikeCarp, Nick Evans or [Daniel] Murphy to complete a deal."

Ibañez is in the last year of his contract and can become a free agent next year. The Mariners have the worst record in baseball and are in the cusp of fullsell-mode.

Ibañez has been one the most consistent players in the M's roster, but at 36 and in the current trade market he's more of a commodity than a franchiseplayer.

The Manhattan-native played with Carlos Beltran in Kansas City.

"He's a great guy," Beltran told Rieber. "Love him as a person, as a player. Great guy, great guy. I think he's a great, great player. Aplayer no one really talks about, but he always does his job. Driving in 80, 90, 100 runs, hits 25, 30 home runs, plays hard

hey , eat sum money, and throw in a low prospect 1B..... DO IT OMAR!! Ibanez is so underrated , its not even funny

Ibanez is fine with me, but Nady or Bay would be my first choice. Ibanez would probably cost us less(although we don't have much in the farm system tobegin with), and he's probably the most underrated player in the bigs.

Am I the only one who thinks Bay is over-rated? I don't think he's a big time hitter....I would even go as far as choose Nady over him, butrealistically Ibanez would fit in perfectly, very under-rated and would be cheap.

As for today...Pedro left with shoulder tightness (taken out as a precautionary measure). The GOOD thing about it is that the Mets wont need a 5th starteruntil the 26th, so that's equivalent to a DL stint anyways. Plus El Duque has been making rehab starts in A-ball so I wouldn't be surprised if bothSHARE that 5th spot. Duque also has bullpen experience so he's an added bonus for long relief as well.

Big Pelf tomm, lets go for 9th straight and 1st place by the break (1/2 game out).
pimp.gif

I just won $100.

I bet my friend (a Yankee fan) that the Mets would have at least 50 wins by the ASG. Beer money FTW.

Pedro is fine according to Manuel's post game interview. The problem was a tight groin/hip that caused him to put too much pressure on his shoulder. Jerrysays Pedro should make his next start.

FOX can suck it, especially the Met hater Rosenthal.

I have ALWAYS looked forward to Pelf's starts since last season.

I heard Hanley was injured tonight, Reyes to replace?

source: Miami Herald
Florida Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez left Saturday's 5-3, 11-inning win against the Los Angeles Dodgers due to soreness in his right shoulder.

Ramirez grounded out in the second inning and then left the game in the bottom half as he was replaced by Alfredo Amezaga.

Ramirez has a .311 average with 23 homers and 45 runs batted in this season.

PS: Don't forget to watch the Future All Star game tomm at 12:30pm on ESPN2, Fernando Martinez will be starting on the WORLD team (4th youngest to make theteam, most his age are still in single A ball).

World All-Stars
2B Ivan DeJesus (LAD)
SS Elvis Andrus (TEX)
LF Wilkin Ramirez (DET)
1B Pablo Sandoval (SF)
3B Luke Hughes (MIN)
DH Scott Campbell (TOR)
CF Fernando Martinez (NYM)
C Welington Castillo (CHC)
RF Gorkys Hernandez (ATL)

U.S. All-Stars
LF Andrew McCutchen (PIT)
2B Cliff Pennington (OAK)
3B Mat Gamel (MIL)
DH Jamie D'Antona (ARI)
RF Nate Schierholtz (SF)
1B Matt LaPorta (CLE)
CF Dexter Fowler (COL)
C Lou Marson (PHI)
SS Jason Donald (PHI)

^^^Thanks for the heads up, Mez. Didn't know it was on.

EDIT: Does anyone know the 3 younger players to make it before him?

Today's Lineup:

Reyes, ss
Evans, rf
Wright, 3b
Beltran, cf
Easley, 2b
Delgado, 1b
Tatis, lf
Castro, c
Pelfrey, rhp

Fernando Martinez went 1-for-2 for the World Team in the Futures Game.

how the hell is mets & rockies a nationally televised game? And it couldnt be based on pre-season expectations because the mariners wouldve been on alotmore often and we wouldnt even see tampa bay

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

how the hell is mets & rockies a nationally televised game? And it couldnt be based on pre-season expectations because the mariners wouldve been on alot more often and we wouldnt even see tampa bay

Psst... nobody cares but you. Why you whining?
eyes.gif

Moon shot by Beltran just now, damn...

Nice start

Does anyone else love the way Jon Miller pronounces Beltran's last name? Sounds so authentic...

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

how the hell is mets & rockies a nationally televised game? And it couldnt be based on pre-season expectations because the mariners wouldve been on alot more often and we wouldnt even see tampa bay

If this was scheduled preseason, televising this game would make sense, considering the Rockies are the defending NL champs and the Mets were a preseasonfave to go to the WS. If this WASN'T scheduled preseason, why wouldn't the Mets, the hottest team in the league playing under new managership, betelevised? They're playing with a chip on their shoulder, considering how they ended their '07 season and how Reyes and Wright were both snubbed fromthe all-star team (despite Wright being named an injury-replacement).

But scheduling changes obviously occur, which explains why the Rays are on television. It's not like the Mariners were an elite team that would commandairtime anyway; they missed the playoffs and played .500 ball after the all-star break. To televise the Mariners and ignore the Rays, the biggestworst-to-first (well, not anymore) story in recent sports history, would be dumb.
isn't it weird how we look forward to Pelfrey starts now?

I anticipate his every start ever since he was put into the rotation full-time. I'm not too surprised at his recent performance because he definitelyshowed signs last season. He had a very strong second half in 2007, and that only made me anticipate his '08 season even more.

I want to stab Jon Miller in the throat.

Nice DP right there.

Beltran mashed the hell out of that ball too, early cushions are nice, just can't let up.

Back
Top Bottom