Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil was in Staples, lurking in the background
Looks like a PS of Tyson Chandler and Phil.
laugh.gif

Uhh throw it away probably?

NBA players don't reuse their sneakers. They cost like $5 bucks to make anyways.

That's why I'm saying it was sort of weird to give the kid one shoe, unless he gave the other one to someone else.

Not that serious either way, but I thought it was strange.

Can't believe dude took a hook shot form half court and made it. :wow:

LeBron is the man for that, even the Pistons bench went nuts.

No wonder the pistons are so bad NO ONE was paying attention in the huddle they all went crazy. at what point of the game was this shot, and what was the score? for lebron to celebrate like that means two things, the heat do no respect the pistons at all, and i know the heat won but the game must have been WELL decided at that point for lebron to react like that and the pistons not be paying attention in the huddle.

End of third/ Beg of the 4th break. It was amazing in person I went nuts. The double fist pump afterwards :smokin

Yall said Wade fell off :smh:

Robert Parish yearns for NBA coaching job

He was always the mystery man in the middle, 00 on a team where 33 drew the spotlight and 32 the laughs, a proudly impassive, hugely talented, ever elusive presence.

Robert Parish, “The Chief,” rarely talked to the media and never hung around with Celtics teammates after a game. Associates say he would not answer his phone, letting messages go to voicemail. After leaving the team in 1994, he let his connection to the Green fray and fade, even to the point of selling off his 1986 world championship ring for spending money.

So it was a surprise when this resolute loner picked up the phone at his home in North Carolina on the third ring.

“People shouldn’t feel sad; they should help me get a job,” said the Hall of Fame center with the deep voice on the other end. “I need a coaching job in the NBA. I’m restless and I need money. ”

At 8 the following morning, a jovial Parish, looking as if he could still hit that rainbow jumper over Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, stretches out on an enormous couch, sips mineral water, and answers questions for nearly two hours.

Parish, 59, said that Bird and McHale, both of whom have held coaching and front office jobs in the league (McHale is the coach of the Houston Rockets), have done nothing to help him in his quest to return to the NBA, although he says he has reached out to them. He calls his Hall of Fame teammates “acquaintances.”

“In my case, I don’t have any friends,’’ Parish said. “I saw Kevin at an event; he said he was going to call me. He never called. I called Larry twice when I was at the Indiana Pacers; he never returned my call. And not just Larry. Across the board, most NBA teams do not call back. You need a court order just to get a phone call back from these organizations. I’m not a part of their fraternity.”

Bird has a rather different recollection. Traveling, he sent a concise text in response to questions from the Globe: “Robert never called me for a job. Period.”

McHale, for his part, expressed remorse in a voicemail. He said he tried to hire Parish when he was in Minnesota, but “I went back and checked . . . we were actually reducing spots at the time. Then I was let go from Minnesota.”

He says he saw Parish later, when McHale worked for TNT.

“I feel terrible about the whole thing, but I just didn’t have a position,’’ McHale said. “I would have loved to have hired Robert if something would’ve came up.”

Parish said he never called former teammate and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge directly, but he has talked to the Celtics.

“You would think Danny would’ve stepped up and said something,’’ he said. “I think he’s got a little pull with the organization. But I didn’t take it personal. I understood.’’

He won championships with these guys, so why no love?

“I know it’s hard to believe,” he said with a shrug, “But trust me, that’s right.”

Pressed for a further explanation, he answered, “I don’t know. I would not consider myself part of Larry’s inner circle, like he’s not in my inner circle. Same thing with Kevin. He’s not in my inner circle; I’m not in his inner circle. Same thing with Danny. You know we respect each other. We had the camaraderie, obviously, collectively, on the team because of our success on the court. But off the court, you know, we weren’t hanging out going to dinner, drinks, going to the movies, double dating, whatever you wanted to do. We weren’t doing any of that.”

Parish is pressed on his relationship with Ainge.

He responds by reaching back in time, telling a story about how Celtics president Red Auerbach and coach K.C. Jones once asked him to take fewer shots because Dennis Johnson and Ainge wanted more scoring opportunities. The Chief readily agreed.

“Danny is selfish, even after I made the sacrifice for him and DJ, he still asked to be traded.’’

Parish said that Bill Walton, whom he calls “the most honest person I ever met, besides my parents,” has given him some realistic advice.

“He said most teams are not going to call you back, it’s not personal, it’s protocol. Don’t take it personal, don’t be insulted by it. It’s just the way it is.”

Several years ago, his representatives reached out to all 30 NBA teams. Only two called him back. Now he’s trying harder. “I’ve been guilty of that, too, not returning phone calls.’’ he said. “We all have. “

He says he’s not angry at his teammates, either.

“I have never sat here and said those [expletive] didn’t call me back. Not one time. I am very proud of this fact.”

Named one of 50 greatest

Nobody played in more NBA games than the Chief. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2003 and had been named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history in 1996.

One of the most unselfish players ever to play, Parish was so stoic that teammate Cedric Maxwell started calling him “Chief” after the uncommunicative Native American in “One Flew Over the ****oo’s Nest.’’

Not anymore.

“I want to get the word out,” Parish said. “NBA coach, assistant coach, front office, or television would be fine.’’

The Celtics hired him in 2004 for public relations work, but Parish found the $80,000 salary too low. “I want to make it clear, I’m not whining, and the Celtics owe me nothing. But having said that, you would think at least I would have a conversation about a coaching job, since that’s what I want to do.”

Parish, who earned roughly $24 million in 21 years in the NBA, says he needs a job with a substantial six-to-seven-figure salary. “I don’t want to have to start over. I’m not homeless and I’m not penniless, but I need to work.”

Parish, who lives in an immaculate, tastefully decorated tan stucco home on the edge of a golf course, says his money was drained away because he wasn’t working and he was “too generous” with family, friends, and significant others.

“There’s no need in crying about that now. I’m not making no excuses ’cause I’m to blame. I enjoyed it. I don’t want to come across as Poor Robert.’’

He’s sold all four championship rings, his Basketball Hall of Fame ring, and his 50 Greatest NBA players ring to net several hundred thousand dollars.

He expresses some remorse for selling his Celtics rings, but not a lot. “The truth is, I never looked at them,” he said.

The hardest piece of jewelry to part with was the 50 Greatest NBA players ring.

“For me that signified that I was the player I thought I was. That was vindication for all the naysayers.”

The Chief is sure he could be a head coach or assistant in the NBA.

“I know X’s and O’s. I know when to call a timeout,” he says. “I earn respect. I’m a positive thinker. I’ve got 30 years’ experience playing basketball.”

But he has barely worked since he retired in 1997. He was Coach of the Year with the Maryland Mustangs of the United States Basketball League in 2001, but the team folded. He says that the last three years of his playing career, with Charlotte and Chicago Bulls, were essentially coaching jobs. “I did a lot of mentoring,” he said.

Problems with the law

Parish knows well that there are marks on his resume that get in the way when it comes to getting the kind of high-profile position he longs for. He says he is still constantly reminded of his marijuana bust in 1993 when two ounces of pot arrived via FedEx at his Weston home. A police dog had detected the marijuana in the package. Police followed with a search warrant and he was charged with possession. He paid a $30 fine and was on probation for five years.

“That will never go away,” he says. Parish, who says he smoked marijuana to relax after games, says he stopped smoking in 1995. “But people don’t believe that, and I’ll never live it down.”

The domestic violence incident of June 2, 1987 with his then-wife, Nancy Saad, also still haunts him. “We were in Los Angeles to play the Lakers [in the NBA Finals]. She came by to my hotel and I had a guest. She flips out ’cause I’ve got a guest.”

The argument escalated and Parish lost his temper. He said he pushed her into a doorway across the hall.

“Looking back on it, her intent was to provoke me to do something physically and it succeeded,’’ he said. “I take the blame for that, hook, line and sinker. I’m not going to downplay the domestic violence. I’m not going to downplay that under no circumstance, I regret it. You should never put your hands on a woman, under any circumstances.’’

He admits the pot and the domestic violence are “skeletons in his closet.”

“But you’re talking about the ’80s and ’90s, good gracious . . . Let it go. We all deserve a second chance.”

Parish returns to New England on Saturday for an an autograph signing at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree from noon to 2 p.m.

He said he’d like to live in Boston full-time, but it’s too cold. He has a message for fans who are worried about his well-being.

“I appreciate the love and the concern. I’ve never questioned their love or their loyalty to me. Boston treated me exceptionally well. I have no complaints about the fans or the Celtics organization. I feel like I got a fair shake. All love from both sides, hopefully. I know there’s nothing but love from my side.”
Link

Damn.

Turning down 80000 and now you want seven figures after not working in a decade? That's a tough sell. I can sympathize but when you need a chance or some help, probably not the best time to complain your old teammates froze you out.

Uhh throw it away probably?

NBA players don't reuse their sneakers. They cost like $5 bucks to make anyways.

That's why I'm saying it was sort of weird to give the kid one shoe, unless he gave the other one to someone else.

Not that serious either way, but I thought it was strange.

I think he did give the other shoe to somebody else, cause he walked off with just his socks :lol:

So wait, Westbrook snatched his towel back?? :rofl: it happened so fast

Don't know how Parish is going to disappear for 20 years and then expect to get a NBA coaching job.

If you're a sixth man, you shouldn't be an All-Star

At least Jamal can get out there and have somebody looking foolish with the dribble moves

ASG is about entertainment and like dudes have said in here, I can't wait to see Z-Bo's boxing out skills :smokin

the actual game is, but not the honor of being an All Star. That is definitely an important part of an HOF resume honestly

Kobe trying to get Dwight to toughen up and stop being a *****.. will it work?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eles-mike-dantoni-dwight-howard-jazz/1866011/

LOS ANGELES – There was a missing piece to the puzzle Kobe Bryant was putting together late Friday night.

Long after the Lakers had downed Utah 102-84 to break their four-game losing streak and remind the masses of the potential they still have, their resident ruler was explaining the confrontational nature of his team's culture and why it was a good thing that they were put together this way.

He mentioned how Metta World Peace jumped all over Darius Morris at one point of the game, and how even Steve Nash came right back at Bryant when he confronted him about not taking a particular shot. No nonsense. No pulled punches. No secrets.

LAKERS: D'Antoni just 'trying to do my job'

"That's just how it should be," he had told reporters afterward. "Yeah, shoot the (expletive). What the (expletive) you doing? You know?...This is what it is, and this is how it should be and this is how it will be."

But five days after the team meeting that seemed to embody this candid and caustic style that Bryant has employed for so long, it was impossible not to notice the omission of Dwight Howard from the conversation.

The Lakers center doesn't fit into this part of the Lakers picture, his personality more passive-aggressive than direct and the question remaining about whether the free-agent-to-be is prepared to play this game with Bryant beyond this season.

Bryant doesn't know how this will end any more than anyone else, as Howard could be dealt before the Feb. 21 deadline if it turns out he has a wandering eye and the Lakers change their stance that's he's untouchable. But so long as he's here, Bryant made clear, this is the way his team will be led.

"It's a matter of learning (for Howard)," Bryant told USA TODAY Sports as he exited Staples Center. "What I try to tell him is that it's not necessarily about what you (want), how you are as a person, or what's comfortable for you. It's really about what's going to help elevate us.

"So for us to have a team that's confrontational and on edge brings out the competitive spirit of everybody else, you know what I'm saying? If everybody is just relaxed and happy go lucky and this that and the other, then that's the personality we'll have as a team. And then you run into a team that's a confrontational team, and it's like a bus."

Bryant wouldn't feel this way if he hadn't been run over a bus like that before.

"That's what happened to us in 2008," he continued. "Everything was really easy for us, real smooth and this that and the other. Everybody liked each other. And then we got to the Finals (against Boston), and we ran into a bus. The Celtics – those (expletives) just beat the (expletive) out of us (in six games)."

This is the root of the Bryant-Howard quandary. Independent of personality and based solely on talent, they have all the makings of a dynamic duo that could win titles together just like Bryant did with Shaquille O'Neal. Add in Pau Gasol, Nash, and World Peace, and some of the brightest minds in the game were convinced entering the season that they were shoe-ins to win it all.

But Bryant is one of the fiercest and least-forgiving players in the game, the conviction of his beliefs based not only on the five championships that still give him the final say in these parts but also the failures that shaped him. Howard is notoriously benign and constantly conflicted, more now than ever because the familiar voices in his complicated camp are speaking up yet again about the chaos that surrounds him.

They are The Odd Couple without the punchlines or the laugh track, though Bryant doesn't see their pairing as problematic. Asked if he still believed he could win a championship with Howard, he said, "Yeah, for sure." Unrelenting and sure as always, he's trying to teach Howard a lesson he may not want to learn.

"It's a process for him," Bryant said. "He wants to be one of the greats of all time, and to do that you have to learn from the greats of all time – be it Bill Russell, be it Shaq. I mean Shaq was a moody, temperamental dude. So if you watch all the big men who have come before, you start to see a common denominator.

"Wilt (Chamberlain), God bless him, was phenomenal, but he didn't have (the same edge). Russell and (those) guys win repetitive – (Michael) Jordan, Magic (Johnson), myself. You've got a little (expletive) in you. I want (Howard) to be great, so I'm trying to push him."

He did just that in the Monday meeting, though it's unclear to what degree. While Bryant acknowledged that the meeting took place, he disputed his part in it.

"I never asked him (if he disliked playing alongside Bryant)," Bryant said. "I never asked him that."

So, Bryant was asked, what did he say?

"It's private; it's private," he said. "But I never asked him that, so I'm not quite sure where that came from. That's not in my personality to ask somebody that (laughs).

"It was nothing of that sort. If you talk to Dwight, ask Pau, ask Steve Nash and those guys – I never said that. I'm too old to be lying about that type of (expletive). I don't give a (expletive)."

He does care about saving this season, though, and the Lakers (18-25) may still survive considering they're just four games out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Yet beyond the clash of cultures and the conversation about what Howard must do to meet this moment, Friday's win offered a glimpse of how these Lakers might look from here on out.

A concerted effort to feed Howard in the paint early paid off on both ends throughout, as he finished with 17 points, 13 rebounds, two blocks and one turnover after returning from the shoulder injury that took him out of Wednesday's loss at Memphis. Bryant – who had shot just 35.3% in the previous four games while averaging 25.5 shots – hit seven of 10 while turning in his most well-rounded night of the season (14 points, a season-high 14 assists and nine rebounds).

For a night, this purple-and-gold puzzle became a picture. And Howard, Bryant insisted, remained in it.

"I don' t know what the future holds," Bryant said. "I don't know if (Howard will be traded)…But I know that as long as he's here, I'm going to continue to help him, mentor him, help him be great. That's all I can do. I'm a problem solver. I try to figure things out, come hell or high water."

Last edited:
Rachel Nicholes left ESPN for CNN

another one bites the dust
I always and still want to have sex with her.

Kinda losing my chance though. Had it in the back of my head I could meat her at a Giants game.
Don't know how Parish is going to disappear for 20 years and then expect to get a NBA coaching job.
He probably looking at Mark Jackson saying "shheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiitttttttt I can do that."

Last edited:
Rachel Nicholes left ESPN for CNN

another one bites the dust

She will be anchoring a new sports weekend show on CNN and doing sports coverage for CNN starting with Superbowl. Also working with Turner the parent company, on NBA and other sports. So Rachel will be a welcomed addition to TNT NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom