Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i much rather them in the playoffs and i don't think any team other than the Thunder are going to sweep LA. Hell i personally think LA has a shot against the clippers... considering every game is a home game in that series.

Its true. I even know some Clippers season ticket holders that said, if there was a Lakers-Clippers series, they would consider selling their playoff seats to Lakers fans because the could make a TON of money on them.

I don't think there's any way that series would be sweep. I would take Clippers in 6.

105-95
107-102
125-101

The Lakers had "home court advantage" in all those games too.

Clips in 5 for me.

I reading the grant land article right now there's a lot of interesting information in it. I would love to hear from others about it.

Two things that stood out to me:

1. The data said even a team like the Rockets should take more 3s - which is interesting since it takes into account percentages of open versus contested 3s. This is probably one of the stats that I don't think would fly in real life. Open 3s are good since they go in at a pretty decent rate especially from the corner. They also are usually the result of ball movement and attacking the rim (which collapses the defense) which keeps everyone involved and can lead to shots at the rim. I don't see how encouraging below average shooters to shoot 3s can be a formula for winning. Wonder what the argument FOR that strategy could be.

2. I would love to see the Nets defense in comparison to what the computer thinks they should do on defense. The "ghosts" seem to be focused on shutting down layups/dunks, shutting down corner 3s and shutting down open 3s (in that order). Everything else doesn't really matter and the help defense is extremely aggressive in trying to stop these things from happening. Personnel is obviously very important and it's not surprising Miami is the best at it BUT I'd like to see how much better teams would be if they ramped up their aggression on defense. Sure, some teams'll light you up from mid-range or the occasional open 3 but for the most part - you can recover on weak-side non-corner 3s and you can recover on mid-range shots if you aggressively close out.

The problem is (I see it with the Nets all the time) that guys don't trust the help to come. Instead of helping off their man and closing out on a potential lay up or corner 3, players hesitate because they don't know if someone is going to rotate over and defend their guy. It's what really separates a team like Miami and Indy from a team like BKN or GS. I'm guessing this is why teams are more conservative with their philosophies, it's definitely something I'm gona try and pay attention to from now on.

I feel like I see Denver completely embrace these new stats on offense and defense.

I reading the grant land article right now there's a lot of interesting information in it. I would love to hear from others about it.

Why are these kobe vs Lebron stat comparison charts flying around everywhere? Just saw another one online.
Don't know, but looking at the shooting percentages.... Lebron has a higher one for FG %

I think DJ's dunk was more difficult, but LeBron's had more significance and impact.

mike torico or whoever ruined that dunk with such crappy announcing. never knew how much the play by play guy can put a damper on a dunk

Last edited:
I think DJ's dunk was more difficult, but LeBron's had more significance and impact.

mike torico or whoever ruined that dunk with such crappy announcing. never knew how much the play by play guy can put a damper on a dunk

word. Dude just exaggerated Lebron's name longer for it. Kevin Harlan would have done it justice.

Last edited:
Two things that stood out to me:

1. The data said even a team like the Rockets should take more 3s - which is interesting since it takes into account percentages of open versus contested 3s. This is probably one of the stats that I don't think would fly in real life. Open 3s are good since they go in at a pretty decent rate especially from the corner. They also are usually the result of ball movement and attacking the rim (which collapses the defense) which keeps everyone involved and can lead to shots at the rim. I don't see how encouraging below average shooters to shoot 3s can be a formula for winning. Wonder what the argument FOR that strategy could be.

2. I would love to see the Nets defense in comparison to what the computer thinks they should do on defense. The "ghosts" seem to be focused on shutting down layups/dunks, shutting down corner 3s and shutting down open 3s (in that order). Everything else doesn't really matter and the help defense is extremely aggressive in trying to stop these things from happening. Personnel is obviously very important and it's not surprising Miami is the best at it BUT I'd like to see how much better teams would be if they ramped up their aggression on defense. Sure, some teams'll light you up from mid-range or the occasional open 3 but for the most part - you can recover on weak-side non-corner 3s and you can recover on mid-range shots if you aggressively close out.

The problem is (I see it with the Nets all the time) that guys don't trust the help to come. Instead of helping off their man and closing out on a potential lay up or corner 3, players hesitate because they don't know if someone is going to rotate over and defend their guy. It's what really separates a team like Miami and Indy from a team like BKN or GS. I'm guessing this is why teams are more conservative with their philosophies, it's definitely something I'm gona try and pay attention to from now on.

I feel like I see Denver completely embrace these new stats on offense and defense.
The ghost thing really was the biggest takeaway from the article for me. It reminded me of Mario Kart, and how you got to race your ghost to see if your could improve your time and find faster ways to navigate the track. I feel like Toronto wasnt the best team for this (but then again theyre the only ones that chose to release the info) because of the fact that its the Toronto Raptors. Its a team thats on a road to nowhere, I cant really be shocked if the stats arent being implimented into the coaching philosphy that much because they can easily feel that theres no point. I would love to get a more in depth look at what a team like Denver or Houston is doing with their stuff. The "Its hard to get players to get out of mindset of this is my guy" comment sums it all up for me."LeBron basically messes up the system and the ghosts," Rucker says. "He does things that are just unsustainable for most players." This made me laugh. I just cant believe it.I got to the part about offense and while I saw what they were getting at, I feel like its harder to use stats to support what kind of shot a player should be taking. In regards to that Rudy Gay play with Demar, if it was me, then I would much prefer him doing what he did; passing the ball then immediately cutting, than shooting a 3 with George Hill in his face. Never noticed that Denver Nuggets out of bounds thing. Hilarious.

I am soo not a Laker fan but I feel like we cant count them out just yet.

I'm thinking they're gonna pull a Spurs on us...

Oh I completely agree. It was a hypothetical question, hence the "if they move up to the 6th seed" thing

Enough said!
Since this meme is just taking numbers, and not averages, into consideration, it should be noted that Kobe has played 152 career playoff games to LeBron's 115 by the age of 28.

Averages compiled by me using LeBron's real stats and Kobe's stats in that meme.

Kobe
Assists: 3.5
Rebounds: 3.8
Steals: 1.0
Blocks: 0.5

LeBron
Assists: 6.7
Rebounds: 8.7
Steals: 1.7
Blocks: 0.9

Last edited:
Enough said!
Since this meme is just taking numbers, and not averages, into consideration, it should be noted that Kobe has played 152 career playoff games to LeBron's 115 by the age of 28.

Averages compiled by me using LeBron's real stats and Kobe's stats in that meme.

Kobe

LeBron
Isn't it a general consensus that Lebron from conception till now>>>>>>>Kobe's pre-28 career???

word. Dude just exaggerated Lebron's name longer for it. Kevin Harlan would have done it justice.
Yeah we needed a "NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE" right there. Harlan is the closest thing we have to J.R. in the NBA.
laugh.gif

Mike Tirico is trash.
Is it really that serious to ignore someone?
I've never actually done it, but some of you really do disgust me to the point that I wish your thoughts would disappear.
Word.

Don't have anyone on ignore but I usually skip right past the usual clowns' posts.

Enough said!

Kobe

LeBron

Isn't it a general consensus that Lebron from conception till now>>>>>>>Kobe's pre-28 career???
You'll never hear a Lakers or Kobe fan admit it though

The stats I posted above reflect what LeBron's real stats are. I used the meme, because it was obviously created by a Kobe fan (hence the omission of everything Bron has done since 24), as the basis for Kobe's stats. I'm guessing he knows those.

Damn, I don't even know how anyone can argue that... Kobe was playing with the most dominant player in the NBA for the first 8 years of his career.

Enough said!

Kobe

LeBron

You'll never hear a Lakers or Kobe fan admit it though

Lol.

The ghost thing really was the biggest takeaway from the article for me. It reminded me of Mario Kart, and how you got to race your ghost to see if your could improve your time and find faster ways to navigate the track. I feel like Toronto wasnt the best team for this (but then again theyre the only ones that chose to release the info) because of the fact that its the Toronto Raptors. Its a team thats on a road to nowhere, I cant really be shocked if the stats arent being implimented into the coaching philosphy that much because they can easily feel that theres no point. I would love to get a more in depth look at what a team like Denver or Houston is doing with their stuff. The "Its hard to get players to get out of mindset of this is my guy" comment sums it all up for me."LeBron basically messes up the system and the ghosts," Rucker says. "He does things that are just unsustainable for most players." This made me laugh. I just cant believe it.I got to the part about offense and while I saw what they were getting at, I feel like its harder to use stats to support what kind of shot a player should be taking. In regards to that Rudy Gay play with Demar, if it was me, then I would much prefer him doing what he did; passing the ball then immediately cutting, than shooting a 3 with George Hill in his face. Never noticed that Denver Nuggets out of bounds thing. Hilarious.

Yeah, I think some of that is weak. A lot of players have terrible mindsets and good coaching should take them out of it. For example, I'm sure all of Toronto's stats would tell them that Rudy Gay taking 6 contested mid-range jumpers a game is a bad idea. He still does it. Same with Ellis taking five 3s a game and only making 20% of them. It's interesting that a good coach has such a difficult time getting these players to change their game.

This is just obvious stuff too - I'm sure the defensive principles are adaptable. Look at how the Bulls defend the pick and roll. It goes against the normal instincts of a player but it works incredibly well.

Damn, I don't even know how anyone can argue that... Kobe was playing with the most dominant player in the NBA for the first 8 years of his career.
But...........................they were 1A and 1B tho!
laugh.gif
Shaq and Kobe?

People who assume that, I just assume are 16 year olds who never even saw the early 2000 Lakers and confidently think Kobe>MJ and isn't even close.

I could rant more on people like that, but I think I've actually gotten a warning for it 
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom