**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

"This is a two man race" - Sir Charles

Charles said It's between Kobe & CP3 and LeBron shouldn't win it. He also said whoever team [between Kobe and CP] finishes higher should win theMVP last night

but to prove my point that Kobe should win....look at that game last night....he stepped up when he was needed.
So why not give T-Mac the MVP because they Rockets got into first AFTER Yao got hurt, right?

Big difference....T-Mac is inconsistent and shies away from the spotlight when the team really needs him....he hasn't carried the team though. They are agood team playin Spur-like Basketball.

Originally Posted by wohcttank

I will make the argument that the Kobe is not the only reason the Lakers are where they are in the West. Andrew Bynum was huge before he got injured, not many people were expecting him to have the year he has had. If he didn't put up the numbers he did where would the Lakers be?

and the same can be said for david west and tyson chandler.

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

But wait, the Lakers weren't supposed to make the playoffs either and they might finish 1st as well.
Nobody had the Lakers finishing higher than a 7/8 seed. The majority had LA not even making the playoffs.
Don't give me that BS that the Lakers traded for Pau, the Lakers got to 1st place in the West before Bynum was hurt, so that arguement is null and void.

See, this is why Lakers' fans are labeled idiots. So why not give T-Mac the MVP because they Rockets got into first AFTER Yao got hurt, right?

The real idiot is the person who generalizes a group of people based on a few posts on a message board. That is the real idiot!! Think before you type....

Originally Posted by franchise3

The thing with Kobe is, yes, he's had a good individual season. A great team season. But, Lebron has had a even better individual season than Kobe, but an average/above average team season.

So, what are we talking about?

The Lakers bring back the same team they had last year, pretty much this year. Why is this Lakers team so much better. What's changed? What's changed is you have guys like D-Fish stepping it up. A Jordan Farmar emerging. A Bynum emerging. Sasha actually balling. How much is the Lakers success attributed to Kobe, as opposed to their young guys coming along faster than expected?

That's why I wouldn't give to Kobe. It's not like he carried his team on his back this year to the top of the West.

True that the Lakers weren't projected to finish at the top of the West, but look who's right along there with them. The Hornets, who nobody even really talked playoffs with that team before the season started.

And the Hornets success is pretty much all CP3.

sorry but because the man's name is Kobe he cant possibly make his teammates better right? give me a break.

and Paul cant be credited for Chandler, West, and the rest of that team's much improved defense.

i smell hate

Garnett is the league MVP and Gasol is the Lakers' MVP.

so the MVP is a dude who hasnt even played 20 games for the Lakers?
laugh.gif

The problem I have with Paul Pierce is very simple: who's worth MORE to their team: Kobe to the Lakers, Paul to the Hornets, or Pierce to the Celtics? Weall know that they are HUGE assets to their teams, but who's worth MORE?

I mentioned earlier that I would go (in order):
#1. Paul/Kobe
#2. Paul/Kobe
#3. Garnett
#4. Dwight
#5. LeBron

But if I were voting STRICTLY on the question 'Who's worth more to their team?', I would say:
#1. Kobe/LeBron
#2. Kobe/LeBron
#3. Paul
#4. Garnett
#5. Dwight/Pierce
#6. Dwight/Pierce

I think Dwight Howard and Paul Pierce are HUGE assets to their teams, but they are nowhere near as valuable to their teams as the other MVP candidates.
The NBA has NEVER awarded an MVP to a team that is nowhere close to an elite team.
Xtapolapacetl:
The 75-76 Lakers had a losing record when Kareem won. The 87-88 Bulls were tied for the 7th best record in the league. Not a bad record, but not exactly elite considering it was in a time when there were only 23 teams in the league. And still MJ won it.

Hey, thanks for the correction, bro.
happy.gif
Now I know.

Now that you've brought those two facts into the discussion, I could completely see LeBron winning it. But I'm curious who else was in the running in'75-'76 and '87-'88, and how their numbers compared to Kareem's and Jordan's. If those two were far and away better than all othercandidates, then I can't see LeBron getting it this year. If they weren't, and it was a close race, then I could see him getting his first.

If you strictly think of most valuable player, it has to be kobe or lebron.

Throw in its usually a top three team that the mvp comes from, kobe.

I don't mind Paul being considered, but I think its Kobe. Kobe has 0 MVPs, and that's a damn shame.

The 75-76 Lakers had a losing record when Kareem won.
you realize the voting system has changed since then.

Now that you've brought those two facts into the discussion, I could completely see LeBron winning it. But I'm curious who else was in the running in '75-'76 and '87-'88, and how their numbers compared to Kareem's and Jordan's. If those two were far and away better than all other candidates, then I can't see LeBron getting it this year. If they weren't, and it was a close race, then I could see him getting his first.
the argument doesnt even really matter because when Kareem won it players voted for MVP, now, people who have never played the game before votefor MVP.
The 87-88 Bulls were tied for the 7th best record in the league. Not a bad record, but not exactly elite considering it was in a time when there were only 23 teams in the league. And still MJ won it.
the cavs are 15-20 against teams with winning records. They are the definition of mediocre with or without Lebron.

Originally Posted by Jdiddy931

Kobe deserves it.
Yeah, he does.. But is he the most deserving?

I still think that the difference between LeBron's and Kobe's individual numbers is more notable than the difference between the Lakers' and theCavs' records, especially when you consider that the Cavs' record has a 0-6 stretch when LeBron was out.

And you might say "Kobe put up phenomenal numbers too when he averaged 35...", but LeBron's current overall numbers are clearly better thanKobe's in 05-06. As good as Kobe's 35.4 ppg were, right now LeBron is actually leading the league in scoring by a bigger margin than Kobe did in 06.

the cavs are 15-20 against teams with winning records.
Okay, fine take some custom stat that supports your argument. I could also mention that the Cavs are 6-2 against the 3 teams with the 3 bestrecords in the league when they met them this year and LeBron was playing.

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James

The rest of the field.

----------------------

Can't really go wrong with any of those guys. I have CP3 winning it, however.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

The NBA has NEVER awarded an MVP to a team that is nowhere close to an elite team.
Xtapolapacetl:
The 75-76 Lakers had a losing record when Kareem won. The 87-88 Bulls were tied for the 7th best record in the league. Not a bad record, but not exactly elite considering it was in a time when there were only 23 teams in the league. And still MJ won it.

Hey, thanks for the correction, bro.
happy.gif
Now I know.

Now that you've brought those two facts into the discussion, I could completely see LeBron winning it. But I'm curious who else was in the running in '75-'76 and '87-'88, and how their numbers compared to Kareem's and Jordan's. If those two were far and away better than all other candidates, then I can't see LeBron getting it this year. If they weren't, and it was a close race, then I could see him getting his first.
Here you go, Ska. I don't have the numbers for the other candidates, but after readingthis...... Does it even matter?

AN MVP SEASON: MICHAEL JORDAN EARNS HIS FIRST OF FIVE MVP HONORS

[font=arial,helvetica]1987-88 Season Highlights[/font]
reddot.gif
RECAP
The Bulls added two talented rookies in 1987-88, drafting Horace Grant and trading for Scottie Pippen. The new blood helped lift Chicago to a 50-32 record, theteam's best result since the 1974-75 season. Jordan led the club in scoring in 81 of 82 regular-season games and topped 40 points on 18 occasions. Equallyremarkable, he failed to reach 20 points only three times during the year.

Jordan won every major honor, including Most Valuable Player, Defensive Player of the Year, selection to the All-NBA First Team, selection tothe All-Defensive First Team, an All-Star Game MVP Award (after scoring 40 points), and the NBA Slam-Dunk Championship. He led the league in scoring with 35.0points per game and steals with 3.16 per contest.

Chicago advanced past the first round of the playoffs for the first time in seven seasons, besting the Cleveland Cavaliers in five games inthe first round before falling to the Detroit Pistons in five games in the conference semifinals. Jordan set a playoff record for field goals made in a gamewith 24 against Cleveland on May 1, and established another mark in the same game by attempting 25 shots against the Cavs in a single half. In 10 playoffgames, he averaged 36.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 4.7 assists.

reddot.gif
HONORS
NBA Most Valuable Player
NBA Defensive Player of the Year
All-NBA First Team
NBA All-Defensive First Team
NBA All-Star Game MVP NBA All-Star Starter
Slam Dunk Champion

reddot.gif
REGULAR-SEASON STATS

[table][tr][td]YEAR[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]MPG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]TOT[/td] [td]APG[/td] [td]SPG[/td] [td]BPG[/td] [td]PPG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]87-88[/td] [td]Chi[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]40.4[/td] [td].535[/td] [td].132[/td] [td].841[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]3.8[/td] [td]5.5[/td] [td]5.9[/td] [td]3.16[/td] [td]1.60[/td] [td]35.0[/td] [/tr][/table]
reddot.gif
PLAYOFF STATS
[table][tr][td]YEAR[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]MPG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]TOT[/td] [td]APG[/td] [td]SPG[/td] [td]BPG[/td] [td]PPG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]87-88[/td] [td]Chi[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]42.7[/td] [td].531[/td] [td].333[/td] [td].869[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]4.8[/td] [td]7.1[/td] [td]4.7[/td] [td]2.40[/td] [td]1.10[/td] [td]36.3[/td] [/tr][/table]

Yeah, he does.. But is he the most deserving?

I still think that the difference between LeBron's and Kobe's individual numbers is more notable than the difference between the Lakers' and the Cavs' records, especially when you consider that the Cavs' record has a 0-6 stretch when LeBron was out.
for one, the Cavs are 15-20 against teams with winning records.

Two, you keep bring up stats like they tell the whole story. They dont. There is that other side of the ball that matters also, oh yeah, defense. Ill giveLebron credit that he has improved very much on defense but Kobe is still a better defender. I dont know if you watched the Jazz/Lakers game last night, butdid you notice down the stretch that Kobe was playing D on Deron Williams. Kobe is ALWAYS on the other teams best perimeter player. Say what you want, butstats dont tell the whole damn story.

Sure, Lebron is tearing it up against mediocre teams, but when it all winds down, they might be bad without him, but they arent very damn good with him.

Okay, fine take some custom stat that supports your argument. I could also mention that the Cavs are 6-2 against the 3 teams with the 3 best records in the league when they met them this year and LeBron was playing.
I like how you throw that in there, but fail to mention that in both wins against the Lakers they were either without Bynum or Gasol. Truth ofthe matter is, the Cavs are not good against teams that arent bad.

Back
Top Bottom