Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Am I the only one who hates it when stores cut the top off the boxes?

Once they go on clearance they have to it would make things a lot more difficult for consumers that can't recognize an NB model from the color code. If they kept them on the store would be a **** show,

Last edited:
How

How do you tell a fake 997? For a model so intricately detailed you would think the counterfeit agents wouldn't bother
The easiest way to tell in my opinion is the midsole. The encap midsoles generally feel the same, by which I mean slightly tough to press down with the shoe held between your fingers. This applies especially for the 997 as the encap unit with all its different densities are encapsulated. Fake pairs generally are really soft and feel almost like a weak memory foam of sorts.

Hope this helped. There are other pointers for a fake 997 namely the new balance stitching on the tongue and the way the shoe sits when at rest, but I think this post is long enough as it is.

How

How do you tell a fake 997? For a model so intricately detailed you would think the counterfeit agents wouldn't bother

There was a bunch of ways to tell, I watched some unboxing vids and referenced against that and pictures from authentic pairs. Just sucks because around me I don't know any sneakerheads that are into runners. So I usually have to rely on the online community.

I will say an easy marker(easy now that I know to look for it) that was on both the rose and luxury pair that was sent to me, was the print of "997 New balance" on the midsole was off, as well as the placement in relation to the "Encap" branding was off.

ill admit the rose pair had me fooled for a couple of weeks, because I only looked for stains and flaws and then put on the shelf until I decided to rock em. Only went back to inspect after receiving that luxury pair. Some friends also admitted they were hard to spot at first glance when I showed them. Only thing is I am hoping when I finally get my legit pairs of both that I will be floored by the quality!
Pictures please? How do you mean it's off? Looking to get a pair myself.
How about the suede quality?
So you're saying the fakes are so close to the original it's that hard to tell now. A scary thought.

The easiest way to tell in my opinion is the midsole. The encap midsoles generally feel the same, by which I mean slightly tough to press down with the shoe held between your fingers. This applies especially for the 997 as the encap unit with all its different densities are encapsulated. Fake pairs generally are really soft and feel almost like a weak memory foam of sorts.

Hope this helped. There are other pointers for a fake 997 namely the new balance stitching on the tongue and the way the shoe sits when at rest, but I think this post is long enough as it is.
Not nearly as long enough.
About time someone put a picture comparison, to tell fakes. Now that we have fakes flooding in.

Not nearly as long enough.

About time someone put a picture comparison, to tell fakes. Now that we have fakes flooding in.

I wouldn't say that, like I said, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact I was unaware of fakes in the 997's and that I didn't have any authentic ones to compare them too. The luxury pair was easy to tell once in hand. I think I would have been able to tell with the rose but it was just ignorance on my part mixed with excitement and overconfidence of not being "had". Looking back at when I got the rose, I have to admit there was a nagging feeling but I think on some level I may have been in denial and it took the luxury pair to wake me up. The cncpt box looked on point too for the rose, so idk if they used a real box and swapped in fakes.

I can post pics but later since I am here at work...perhaps at lunch time in an hour or two.

Pictures please? How do you mean it's off? Looking to get a pair myself.
How about the suede quality?
So you're saying the fakes are so close to the original it's that hard to tell now. A scary thought.
The suede on the fake rose pair I had was damn near perfect. Even had that really rich suede smell with the long hair shag to it.

I just received a pair of factory seconds 997gy's in fact, and it had the American made label attached. No sign of the booklet though, is that normal?
Likewise, my 990's only came with the American made label.

does anyone know where the mid-century modern pack is gonna drop?  esp with those limited poster prints?

Just wanna check with you guys, is buying off eBay worth it? Seems like 998s galore (and to a certain extent 997s too) and they're noticeably lower priced than off end or titolo as well. Pic related. Seller has 99.8% positive feedback too, so they're probably legit.
I've never bought NB on ebay but I got the 998CSB for $147 incl. tax from Social Status in Raleigh while spending my holidays in the US. Awesome pair of shoes even though they don't seem to be that popular in here. So if the seller is legit  I would recommend getting them for that price, they're definitely worth it.

Today

I just received a pair of factory seconds 997gy's in fact, and it had the American made label attached. No sign of the booklet though, is that normal?
Likewise, my 990's only came with the American made label.
i never got any booklet with either of my pairs...?

Anyone have a Need Supply Company Code?

Edit.  I chatted with them online and they gave me a code.  Good people over there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom