Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

I agree the people trying to 'game' the good CS from NB and trying to get 'free pair' are a-holes.  Honestly, shocked they offered the free pairs in the first place -- that was ripe for exploitation.

Obviously, it's a handmade product and imperfections are inevitable (even bespoke suit tailors make mistakes).  Anyone that expects perfection is clueless.  That said, I agree that the pics posted show an obvious flaw and should have never left the factory.  Probably the QC person having an off day?

However, I will say that I hold NB to much higher standard than other shoe companies -- due to the price point and the fact they keep advertising the 'Made in US' quality manufacturing.  If I find glue stains, bad stitches, etc. on $110 pair of Nike SBs - no big deal.  But when the mesh is sideways, panels are obvious miss-shaped, etc. on a pair of custom $200 - $210 MiUSA NBs -- unacceptable.

It's odd how poorly done the letter embroidery on the back NBs are (similar issue my Big Apple 574s - which was basically a custom).  Obviously, it's machine stitched -- is there no way to improve it?  Seen custom company logo polos from local embroidery shops that look better.  Would be amazing if they offered debossing custom letters on the heel -- would probably look way better.

Last edited:
I'm pretty disappointed in the quality on my pair, the N logo on the left shoe is very misaligned with the underlay and the stitching on the tongue and rear is sloppy, with the rear stitching being very off center. I'm not really sure how being disappointed in the craftsmanship on a $200 product makes me a bad person when one of the main reasons I spend money on NBs is because of their generally superior craftsmanship. However I got neither that nor the 2 day turn around they advertise so much.

If I'm paying my money for a product, I expect to get my perceived value out of that product, and that does not include sloppy details from somebody's "off day".

My Pair came yesterday.. Overall I'm pretty satisfied only mistake they made is the material behind the "N" logo was supposed to be reflective blue but instead it's suede. Not really that bad... I do agree that the stitching of the words look a little shotty compared to all my other pairs of NB's though.. But I enjoyed putting this pair together.

Ocean Blue

Oyster

Mesh: Nimbus Cloud

Laces, Lining, and Heel: Cosmic Coral

It looks like they removed the option for "Cosmic Coral" suede

Last edited:
Quick 574 custom sizing question. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a size 9 in pretty much all NB (577/997/998/1500 etc.). I only own 1 pair of asian made 574's in a 9.5.

Would I be able to do a custom 574 in size 9 or should I do 9.5?

Only asking bc the 998 customs I received fit a bit larger than regular 998's so I was wondering if 574s customs run a bit larger as well.

Have an extra 8.5 in the 1300JP2 still DS that I'm looking to get retail/shipping for. Would like it to hook up someone in here.

Just to make things clear, I didn't mean I wanted a free additional pair. I could care less if they ask me to return my pair for a new one. I'm not one to care for minor glue stains and minimal mistakes in stitching, but the entire lateral side is blatantly higher and taller on 1 shoe.

Side note - the stitching on the tongue and heel of my 997 ccf and nv are perfect compared to that of my customs. Not sure if it's a 998 issue or a custom issue since this is my first pair of 998. I understand it's machine stitched, so I didn't make note of that to the NB cs dept.

Quote:

My Pair came yesterday.. Overall I'm pretty satisfied only mistake they made is the material behind the "N" logo was supposed to be reflective blue but instead it's suede. Not really that bad... I do agree that the stitching of the words look a little shotty compared to all my other pairs of NB's though.. But I enjoyed putting this pair together.

Ocean Blue

Oyster

Mesh: Nimbus Cloud

Laces, Lining, and Heel: Cosmic Coral

It looks like they removed the option for "Cosmic Coral" suede
That blue looks pretty purple to me here... Does it look bluer in person?
Just to make things clear, I didn't mean I wanted a free additional pair. I could care less if they ask me to return my pair for a new one. I'm not one to care for minor glue stains and minimal mistakes in stitching, but the entire lateral side is blatantly higher and taller on 1 shoe.

Side note - the stitching on the tongue and heel of my 997 ccf and nv are perfect compared to that of my customs. Not sure if it's a 998 issue or a custom issue since this is my first pair of 998. I understand it's machine stitched, so I didn't make note of that to the NB cs dept.
That is very odd/unacceptable... I don't think they should fight too much on doing a swap... Otherwise, they came out quite nice

Quote:

That blue looks pretty purple to me here... Does it look bluer in person?

That is very odd/unacceptable... I don't think they should fight too much on doing a swap... Otherwise, they came out quite nice
Definitely more blue in person.

i got my custom in yesterday. I went with a perf suede toe. part of the suede on the right toe box seemed pretty shotty. Cant be upset when they literally have a 1 week turn around from screen to in hand, compared to nikes month long wait

Respect bro, that colorway is one of the best I've seen so far in this thread and the fact that you only used 3 colors on the whole thing makes me even more jealous that I didn't think of it first lol. Not quite sure about the whole bird **** inspiration but you got a giant pepperoni pizza beanie bag cushion so its all good.  
I appreciate the feedback LOL

Quick 574 custom sizing question. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a size 9 in pretty much all NB (577/997/998/1500 etc.). I only own 1 pair of asian made 574's in a 9.5.

Would I be able to do a custom 574 in size 9 or should I do 9.5?

Only asking bc the 998 customs I received fit a bit larger than regular 998's so I was wondering if 574s customs run a bit larger as well.
go with the 9.5. I'm a 9.5 in 998's 570's and 1300's. But I rock size 10's in 574's so I would suggest going up .5 

If any of you 10.5ers are richer than I... There is a pair of Providers as well as NBO on eBay right now

is it just me or is that 'cosmic coral' laces really super duper obnoxiously bright in person?  in pictures they look good but in person they just look like a hot punch or hot pink that doesn't go well with the inside liner or the coral suede?

is it just me or is that 'cosmic coral' laces really super duper obnoxiously bright in person?  in pictures they look good but in person they just look like a hot punch or hot pink that doesn't go well with the inside liner or the coral suede?
Ehh the Cosmic Coral liner already doesn't really match the suede so the laces in my opinion kinda brings everything together .. If you understand what I'm saying lol

qft.  can't stand all these posts about returns/refunds with the intention of getting a "free" pair or coupon code

Agreed.

On another note there's a seller on eBay who just listed the 997GY2 for $145 shipped sizes nine through 13 I believe incase anyone needs a pair still

It does suck when you get a custom product and it doesn't come out the way you hope. Sometimes have to look at it like this especially if it's a handmade item, there's no guarantee that the product will be perfect The second time around as well even if the same hands with the same materials and same machines put them together.

My second custom pair.
Thats gunmetal Grey for anyone wondering.
I was really happy with the craftsmanship on this pair considering that my first pair came with a white paint stain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom