OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

wow! I just heard on Espn radio that Donnie Walsh is strongly considering Jeff Van Gundy...and that the fact he would go after JVG is proof that Walsh has full autonomy and Dolan has no say in it....Mark Jackson is still the favorite tho, JVG is a close second

I won't even get hype until I see this on the bottom line on ESPN.

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/sectional?id=sportsclicker

[h1]Van Gundy's candidacy says a lot[/h1]
Jackson_Vangundy_330.jpg

Listen (Thursday, April 17th) TheMarchand Minute on Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy.

Listen(Thursday, April 17th) Andrew Marchand on with Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio

While Mark Jackson is clearly the leading candidate to be the next Knicks' coach, Jeff Van Gundy is a legitimate darkhorse candidate. If this remains true,it demonstrates that Donnie Walsh is truly in charge.

James Dolan has told confidants before that he would prefer not to bring Van Gundy back because Dolan feels as if the Knicks have been down the Van Gundy roadbefore. Plus, in 2001, Van Gundy quit the Knicks during the season. He did not leave on good terms with Dolan.

But Walsh is a Van Gundy fan and Van Gundy wants to coach again, which makes for an intriguing alternative.

Still, it is Jackson's job to lose. Jackson is a Walsh favorite and fits into Walsh's hiring history. Walsh twice traded for Jackson as a player. Walshhas also picked homegrown, first time coaches before. He did so twice in Indiana. Once with Larry Bird and once with Isiah Thomas.

The New York-bred Jackson wants to coach and he wants to be the Knicks' coach. But the fact Van Gundy is really being considered says a lot aboutWalsh's autonomy.

Did you see how OJ played the last half of the season? When he started trusting his teammates? I think that OJ w/ a teacher like Mark Jackson or Rick Carlisle would be a good thing and would stop him from developing bad habits really early in his career.....Y'all don't need Bayless (Though he wouldn't be too bad of a pick) and for god sakes, don't get Eric Gordon....

Last thing y'all need is a 6'3 2 guard w/ NO pg skills launching 25 ft. 3's all day...
I feel you but I'm hoping for one of the top 2 picks. Start the turnaround at the draft. But Bayless would be a great pick.

image_60722.jpg

Bring it back.

Im telling you, if he comes back I might have a heart attack. I can hear my big bro right now screaming through the phone in joy.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/sectional?id=sportsclicker

[h1]Van Gundy's candidacy says a lot[/h1]
Jackson_Vangundy_330.jpg

Listen (Thursday, April 17th) The Marchand Minute on Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy.

Listen (Thursday, April 17th) Andrew Marchand on with Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio

While Mark Jackson is clearly the leading candidate to be the next Knicks' coach, Jeff Van Gundy is a legitimate darkhorse candidate. If this remains true, it demonstrates that Donnie Walsh is truly in charge.

James Dolan has told confidants before that he would prefer not to bring Van Gundy back because Dolan feels as if the Knicks have been down the Van Gundy road before. Plus, in 2001, Van Gundy quit the Knicks during the season. He did not leave on good terms with Dolan.

But Walsh is a Van Gundy fan and Van Gundy wants to coach again, which makes for an intriguing alternative.

Still, it is Jackson's job to lose. Jackson is a Walsh favorite and fits into Walsh's hiring history. Walsh twice traded for Jackson as a player. Walsh has also picked homegrown, first time coaches before. He did so twice in Indiana. Once with Larry Bird and once with Isiah Thomas.

The New York-bred Jackson wants to coach and he wants to be the Knicks' coach. But the fact Van Gundy is really being considered says a lot about Walsh's autonomy.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I did not even think this would be a possibility. But YESSSS!!! JVG bring that mother +*!!$% back. Hardest working coach there is and he knows wass up. D Walshis the TRUTH. (knocls on wood i said that after Zeke traded for Starbury
eyes.gif
but in my defense he lost that title from me by trading for bum Curry
smh.gif
)

I now i have been hyping up ma boi Jackson and i would love him, but i didnt think JVG was a possibility, if he is and if he would come back... GO AFTER JVG!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But also im still a little skeptical that there is really nothing about this on ESPN (not even the bottom line) or nothing really on major sports websites likeYahoo! so imma hold my breath until than

why mark jackson even has a shot is mind boggling to me... this guy has 0 experience...id rather go wit herb williams... no i dont think hes a good coach butat least hes loyal to the knicks and he has some sort of coaching experience... but if it were up to me my top 3 choices in specific order would be carlisle,JVG, or skiles... i like these 3 not cuz their big name coaches but they focus a lot on D... their teams were never good offensively and the knicks have noproblem scoring but defending is what they need... they need to have that grittyness and physical play they had back in the 90s...then again they dont reallyhave any1 on the knicks that could be physical... and there really isnt any1 on there besides lee that plays hard every time...

i just want to see Mark Jackson try it out for a bit. I mean we really don't have much to lose anyways.

It's not like we will make a huge changed from this year anyways. So might as well try somethings out, before we get some good cap space.

25.29 % chance of Getting a TOP 3 PICK
15.92 % chance of Getting a TOP 2 PICK
07.55 $ chance of Getting the TOP PICK

Cross your fingers, wear your lucky shirt, pray to god.

Whatever works.

I'll be wearing my lucky shirt, praying, doing some charity work to gain some favor with God... just about anything if we get a higher draft pick.

25.29 % chance of Getting a TOP 3 PICK
15.92 % chance of Getting a TOP 2 PICK
07.55 $ chance of Getting the TOP PICK

Cross your fingers, wear your lucky shirt, pray to god.

Whatever works.
I'm praying to Oprah for the next few weeks.

[h1]Walsh closing in on Jackson as Knicks coach[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 4 minutes ago

• [h5][/h5] Buzz Up
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Adrian Wojnarowski

As New York president Donnie Walsh prepares to push Isiah Thomas out of Madison Square Garden for good - possibly as soon as Friday - Mark Jackson has emerged as the new Knick boss's choice to replace Thomas as coach, an NBA executive familiar with Walsh's plans said late Thursday night.

Jackson has been considered the favorite for the job, but in the last few days, Walsh has made it clear to confidants that his old Indiana Pacers point guard is the right man to guide the dysfunctional Knicks back toward respectability.

Also, the NBA executive said that Walsh was strongly leaning against retaining Thomas in any reduced front office role.

As unpopular as Thomas has become in New York, the hiring of Jackson would promise to be met by Knicks fans with enthusiasm. Jackson, who played 17 NBA seasons, has never coached on any level, but has a strong New York basketball pedigree that delivers his candidacy credibility.

Walsh seems determined to win back disillusioned New York fan base and beyond winning, believes part of that process will be bringing back players that honor the Knicks' glory days. Jackson was the rookie of the year for the Knicks in 1988, a flashy young point guard who made a dramatic entry into the pros by delivering the ball to the franchise savior, Patrick Ewing.

Jackson's hiring, the NBA source said, would be followed with Walsh reaching out to Ewing to be a part of the coaching staff. Ewing is currently an assistant with the Orlando Magic, and has long expressed a desire to work with the Knicks.

Walsh and Jackson have a strong history together and that's played a major part in why Walsh believes so strongly in him. As Pacers president, he traded for Jackson twice in his career. Walsh also has a history of hiring coaches in Indiana (Thomas and Larry Bird) with no past coaching experience. In fact last year, it's believed that Walsh suggested to Bird, the Pacers GM, that he consider Jackson for the team's coaching opening, but Bird declined and hired Jim O'Brien.

Since retiring from the NBA in 2004, Jackson has been a broadcaster for ESPN and the New Jersey Nets broadcasts on the YES Network. At the end of the Nets' final regular-season game on Wednesday, Jackson apparently surprised his bosses by telling viewers he wouldn't return next season to the Nets' broadcasts.

Ex-Bulls coach Scott Skiles has been considered a contender for the Knicks job with Jackson, but multiple league sources believe that Skiles will eventually be hired as the Milwaukee Bucks' new coach.

"It's inevitable," one GM said.

New Bucks GM John Hammond, who fired Larry Krystkowiak on Thursday, has also expressed an interest with New Orleans assistant Darrell Walker and Mike Fratello, a league source said. If Skiles goes to the Bucks, deposed Indiana University coach Kelvin Sampson is expected to be offered a job on his coaching staff.

^^good article i read it today. I want JVG but ma boi Mark will get it done.

It makes sense in Walsh's terms to get Mark though. He has taken guys with no experience before, he is tight with Mark, and he likes getting homegrownpeople.

I like Walsh he seems to think alot like i do. He also wants to bring back legends and pay them their dues like i do. We need Pat on that bench. Do your thingDonny
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

is there any talk about Pat coming back to he Knicks as an assistant? haven't heard or read anything about that

^^are you kidding me bro? The past like 6 articles on here have mentioned that, and yes Walsh wants it badly as well as I and as well as Pat.
pimp.gif

I dont understand the "No work experience" crap. Larry Bird had NO experience and took them to the Finals.

Back
Top Bottom