OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

I get what your saying. I guess an even easier way to say it is that when the team moves its not the players you where connected to but the team and the name and the colors and the logo and the city they where meant to represent. Players come and go but that is the constant and when a team moves and what was constant is now gone it can be very difficult to cope with.
I mean Im still connected to the players. The context just becomes different for me

When a team not only moves but changes its entire identity (minus still trying to hold on to historical stats and references)...It's hard to still have a connection with that.

Why?

Imagine for a second (you'll have to really use your imagination here) if the Cubs won the world series.

You think I need the city of Chicago to help me feel emotion?

Ima be in Oregon cryin like a lil girl with a skinned knee
Imagine if the Cubs moved to North Dakota and become the North Dakota Boredoms.

and the Cubs are birthed again years later....win a world series

You have no feeling whatsoever to that win because you stuck with the team that moved? The history and everything you invested in before isnt with the Cubs, albeit being a new franchise in this case?

The same exact team in Chicago, as the Cubs, would be the same the next day in North Dakota, as the Boredoms.

Same players I root for today, would be the players I root for tomorrow.

If some expansion team is birthed in Chicago, named the Cubs, its not the franchise I've followed since I was in diapers.

Lakers, Fins, Canes, same thing. I root for the team, not the city.

Logically this makes no sense.

If the Cubs move tomorrow and rename themselves they would literally have nothing to do with the team you grew up watching.

0 literally nothing.

[quote name="The Collector"]I wish RG3 the best at his next stop. He gave us one great season and after that things went down hill. Good luck to him.[/quote]Need more of this in the world of sports fans. :smokin

And side note, I told my wife before we were anything...

You will either cheat on me or you won't. You'll either be faithful or you won't. Nothing I can do about it if you do, but always know I have my options too. And your best friends all have my number.

Sorry for sounding slow but what does that mean? Does that mean your friends are options too?

At the time it meant she can be replaced. I told something similar to every female I ever got into relations with. Never put it on a pedestal.

It was a statement letting her know she has all the options in the world, and she can do whatever she wants. If she chooses to stay, great. If she chooses to step out, that's her decision too. But if she chose to be straight up with me, we could build something great. And we have.

I get what your saying. I guess an even easier way to say it is that when the team moves its not the players you where connected to but the team and the name and the colors and the logo and the city they where meant to represent. Players come and go but that is the constant and when a team moves and what was constant is now gone it can be very difficult to cope with.
I mean Im still connected to the players. The context just becomes different for me

When a team not only moves but changes its entire identity (minus still trying to hold on to historical stats and references)...It's hard to still have a connection with that.

Why?

Imagine for a second (you'll have to really use your imagination here) if the Cubs won the world series.

You have no feeling whatsoever to that win because you stuck with the team that moved? The history and everything you invested in before isnt with the Cubs, albeit being a new franchise in this case?

The same exact team in Chicago, as the Cubs, would be the same the next day in North Dakota, as the Boredoms.

If some expansion team is birthed in Chicago, named the Cubs, its not the franchise I've followed since I was in diapers.

If the Cubs move tomorrow and rename themselves they would literally have nothing to do with the team you grew up watching.

0 literally nothing.

:lol:

It's the EXACT same team minus the name.

Same GM
Same manager
Same 25 man roster
Same Farm Clubs
Same Draft Pick(s)
Same team records

New laundry.

That's right. I think I saw some documentary on YouTube a few years ago about this whole saga. There were leaked emails discussing how the Thunder would move to OKC as planned. I remember the guy at the end saying the only way Seattle will ever get another team is exactly how they lost the Sonics.

Makes me dislike the Thunder even more after watching. At least Seattle got keep the team name and all the championship in 79.

seattle won't get a team for a very long time. basically we're being used as leverage by the league to get cities to build new arenas. "oh you don't wanna pay up for a new arena? we can just move them to seattle." :smh:

0 literally nothing.

... what?

edit: cp covered it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i agree with CP on this..

never cried after a big loss but if the Jets/Knicks ever win a title you best believe tears of joy will be streaming down my face

Last edited:
That's right. I think I saw some documentary on YouTube a few years ago about this whole saga. There were leaked emails discussing how the Thunder would move to OKC as planned. I remember the guy at the end saying the only way Seattle will ever get another team is exactly how they lost the Sonics.

Makes me dislike the Thunder even more after watching. At least Seattle got keep the team name and all the championship in 79.

seattle won't get a team for a very long time. basically we're being used as leverage by the league to get cities to build new arenas. "oh you don't wanna pay up for a new arena? we can just move them to seattle." :smh:

Ah, so you guys are basically like the New York Knicks in free agency :lol:

i think i agree with CP on this..

never cried after a big loss but if the Jets/Knicks ever win a title you best believe tears of joy will be streaming down my face

You'd ride with the Boise Helicopters if the Jets relocated there?

Never mind I didn't see the edit to a different response :lol:

Last edited:
would Bowles be the coach?
would Maccagnan be the GM?
would Marshall/Decker be the WR's?

if yes, i'll root for the Boise Helicopters

For me, it would depend on where the past was connected. Retired numbers, division/championship banners, etc.

The new Charlotte Hornets just had a ceremony for Del Curry... but that's not the Charlotte Hornets he played for. That franchise is in New Orleans.

But if my fandom 'moved' with the New Orleans Hornets and stayed with the New Orleans Pelicans and then the Charlotte Bobcats that I had no connection to changed to the Charlotte Bobcats and hung retired numbers from my old LJ/Zo Hornets, I'd jump ship.

Why?

0 literally nothing.

:lol:

It's the EXACT same team minus the name.

Same GM
Same manager
Same 25 man roster
Same Farm Clubs
Same Draft Pick(s)
Same team records

New laundry.

Yeah from 15 to 16.

But the history that got you involved with that team is done.

Teams I root for I've liteally roooted for my whole life. If one of them changed cities and names then I'm done.

Last edited:
[quote name="Elpablo21"]Harry Caray rolling over in his got damn grave tonight[/quote]Right? :lol: "North Dakota Boredoms? NEW Chicago Cubs? I'm coming back up there!"

And side note, I told my wife before we were anything...

You will either cheat on me or you won't. You'll either be faithful or you won't. Nothing I can do about it if you do, but always know I have my options too. And your best friends all have my number.

Sorry for sounding slow but what does that mean? Does that mean your friends are options too?

At the time it meant she can be replaced. I told something similar to every female I ever got into relations with. Never put it on a pedestal.

It was a statement letting her know she has all the options in the world, and she can do whatever she wants. If she chooses to stay, great. If she chooses to step out, that's her decision too. But if she chose to be straight up with me, we could build something great. And we have.
Appreciate fam I read the original completely wrong. True game you kicked tho

the sonics and raiders situations are different.

sonics moved to okc and completely changed their identity.

raiders move to LA, they are still the raiders.

i think its different for a team to move and completely change their identity.

the sonics and raiders situations are different.

sonics moved to okc and completely changed their identity.

raiders move to LA, they are still the raiders.

i think its different for a team to move and completely change their identity.

If the thunder tried to call themselves the Sonics I would hate them more. Going to games my entire life and being able to watch every game with Collabro commentating. Having Sonics posters/banners in the city. Things that were taken from me that out of city fans will never understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom