Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

First day of school. Here in Atl they started July 31st
IMG_20170731_101815_402.jpg

Lil man is stuntin right now.

7/31 starting school in ATL? Man when I was in school, it was like the week before Labor Day. Guess I'll have to get used to it when I head back...

School start Tuesday. He just got out last week of June. I'm ready tho, kid been around the house doing nothing for like 6 weeks

School start on the 28th down here.

My lil one had his first football scrimmage today and he enjoyed it. His team looks great, he's 5 lol

Was gone ask so what age they starting sports now? Lil one will be 1 on the 17th, should we be doing driveway drills now? :lol:

Was gone ask so what age they starting sports now? Lil one will be 1 on the 17th, should we be doing driveway drills now? :lol:
Start early. There's always a kid who's crazy skilled at 5 whose been training since 3 lol

Need some advice, fellas. Embarrassing to even admit... my son will be 6 years old next week, starting kindergarten, potty trained for ~3 years no problem and all of a sudden this summer he's had 2 "accidents" in the car where he just decided he was gonna pee and not say anything. Today he also dropped a deuce in there for good measure. Acted like it was no big deal either, like "whoops oh well." He's always been the type who gets lazer focused on whatever he's doing or watching and you often have to tell him to go to the bathroom because he's obviously doing the dance and holding it until the last possible second. I don't even know what type of punishment fits the crime in this situation. The past 2 years of pre-school I wasn't even concerned about him having an accident, but now I'm legit worried he's gonna be that kid in kindergarten with the puddle under his desk chair. I guess the shame of kids making fun of him for peeing his pants will help straighten him up, but I'd rather just figure out a way to get through to him. I thought we had reinforced the importance of not waiting until the last minute, but obviously not...
Anyone else gone through a similar situation with their kids?

Sounds like he is aware that he needed to go and chose not to make you aware of it. I'm a swat/pop type parent. I don't go for the gusto and try to knock fear in my kids but I do swat/pop them hard enough that they can identify that they don't like it.

The key would be to make sure right after any potential swat/pop you tell them sternly but also sincerely why it happened. So for example:

*swat/pop*
*get down on their level/eye to eye* Now you know better than to use the potty on yourself. You're a big boy and you have been doing so good. I need you to keep being a big boy because you'll be starting school soon. If you need to use the potty tell us and tell your teacher you need to go so we can let you. Can you be a big boy and do that for me?"
*hug and kiss* -End Scene- *fade to black*

Pack an extra pair of pants/clothes and tell the teacher where he falls short. It ought not be the teachers first time with that issue and they can add some additional advice

Sounds like he is aware that he needed to go and chose not to make you aware of it. I'm a swat/pop type parent. I don't go for the gusto and try to knock fear in my kids but I do swat/pop them hard enough that they can identify that they don't like it.

The key would be to make sure right after any potential swat/pop you tell them sternly but also sincerely why it happened. So for example:

*swat/pop*
*get down on their level/eye to eye* Now you know better than to use the potty on yourself. You're a big boy and you have been doing so good. I need you to keep being a big boy because you'll be starting school soon. If you need to use the potty tell us and tell your teacher you need to go so we can let you. Can you be a big boy and do that for me?"
*hug and kiss* -End Scene- *fade to black*

Pack an extra pair of pants/clothes and tell the teacher where he falls short. It ought not be the teachers first time with that issue and they can add some additional advice

I usually try to reserve swats for outright insubordination or when he fights with his sister, but in this case you're right that it was more like silent insubordination and probably deserved a swat. Problem is that both times it happened when he was just with wifey. Was she distracted and/or ignored the warning signs? I wasn't there so I can't say. I feel it would be wrong for me to come home at the end of the day and put a whoopin on him that long after it happened, but maybe I need to do something BIG so he knows it's a BIG DEAL? By the time I get home from work I usually only have an hour or two with the kids before bed and I usually like to keep things light and fun, but it might be time for bad-dad to come out so he understands the severity of the situation.

In a small way, I wonder if he knows "big boy" school is right around the corner and is trying to pretend he's not a big boy so we won't send him... or not.

At this age yea, you can't come home and lay down the law bout something that happened hours ago. They prob don't remember well enough exactly what happened. I'd say forgo the swat and just have the convo. Will only take about 5 or so minutes and go right back to fun dad

Also remember, he's a kid. We all can see our kids are so smart and we begin to set our expectations for them at a certain level and we forget that they don't have the same priorities and same understanding of what "smart" is. They'll impress us one day and embarrass us the next but all they know is fun and play. It gets frustrating cause we know they know better but some times kids will be kids

At this age yea, you can't come home and lay down the law bout something that happened hours ago. They prob don't remember well enough exactly what happened. I'd say forgo the swat and just have the convo. Will only take about 5 or so minutes and go right back to fun dad

Also remember, he's a kid. We all can see our kids are so smart and we begin to set our expectations for them at a certain level and we forget that they don't have the same priorities and same understanding of what "smart" is. They'll impress us one day and embarrass us the next but all they know is fun and play. It gets frustrating cause we know they know better but some times kids will be kids

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Definitely giving me the right perspective to keep calm and take things in stride. Gonna have that serious talk with him tonight and hope some of it sinks in. Respect.

my son did that a couple times, but now we tell him to go pee before we head out anywhere. Dropped a #2 tho and didn't say anything lol I'd be mad as f@ck

Think I'm finna go ahead & line up this vasectomy bros. It's only so many times I can wake up like a zombie after my lil monster round house kicks me in the mouth while sleep. Only so many times imma clean up poop off the floor bc this dude decides he wants to pull his diaper off. Idk how pppl be having kids for leisure this is not a good time. Love my little guy but I'm out, giving the snip snip a green light.

Think I'm finna go ahead & line up this vasectomy bros. It's only so many times I can wake up like a zombie after my lil monster round house kicks me in the mouth while sleep. Only so many times imma clean up poop off the floor bc this dude decides he wants to pull his diaper off. Idk how pppl be having kids for leisure this is not a good time. Love my little guy but I'm out, giving the snip snip a green light.

Nah, I'm with you. Deciding when to stop having kids is probably more important than deciding when to start.

I'm almost a month out. Feeling excited!

Just copped this book for the baby..

baby Book.JPG

Lol this was the first book I got my son. That site has some gems for the minions about to cop him some onesies from there when he finally gets here.

Nah, I'm with you. Deciding when to stop having kids is probably more important than deciding when to start.

Two months since my procedure and the scar is almost gone and in a couple of weeks I'll drop my first sample to check to see what's swimmin'

Back
Top Bottom