Official PC thread.

Originally Posted by Jay86

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Through wubi and I put it on my B drive, that's the one I have set up with RAID

wubi has issues with raid so you might just have to make a livecd/usb & install that way.

instead of dual-booting ubuntu with your  main OS, use virtualbox(virtualbox.org). it's a free program that lets you install/run multiple operating systems(linux, mac os x, etc...) inside your main operating system.
example of what you're able to do with virtualbox:

30t6p3b.gif
forgot all about this too.
great way to test out ubuntu (besides booting up the livecd/usb interface)

I don't have enough space my on c drive. Can I still install it on the B through a usb

you should but there might still be some booting issues after the installtion.
might want to hit up youtube to check out some guides
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

if your laptop has the A8 like this one i'd trade up for that desktop.
Thanks! yeah it's that laptop. How would you rate this PC as a gaming PC? I usually play sports games like NBA 2k12 and shooters. What would you value this PC at? His highest bid is 470 Euro's at the moment which is about 540 USD I believe. My laptop was 800 Euro's (900 USD?) in January.

shouldnt have a problem playing games with that GTX 560.
the cpu & gpu alone in his machine are worth about the $540 bid.

Yeah, that rig should be good. 
You got an SSD, a decent chassis, pretty good RAM (currently using the same), and a very good PSU (love Corsair products). The MSI GTX 560 Ti is a very good card. Comes with a much better cooler than the stock reference cooler (which flat-out sucks). I wish I bought that over that Inno3D GTX 560 Ti I just had RMA'ed yesterday. You really can't go wrong if you cop it at that price it's currently going for. 
smokin.gif

So I don't have a GPU for my rig for another 2-3 weeks. When I get back a new one, I'll just sell it and just cop a GTX 580. Never going back to Inno3D again (even if it is just a bad card
30t6p3b.gif
).

Too bad I just got this in the mail yesterday as well. No GPU, so I can't install it. P67 FTL. 
tired.gif

407240_10150588371148736_593738735_9128644_1864686281_n.jpg

I don't have enough space my on c drive. Can I still install it on the B through a usb

you should but there might still be some booting issues after the installtion.
might want to hit up youtube to check out some guides
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

if your laptop has the A8 like this one i'd trade up for that desktop.
Thanks! yeah it's that laptop. How would you rate this PC as a gaming PC? I usually play sports games like NBA 2k12 and shooters. What would you value this PC at? His highest bid is 470 Euro's at the moment which is about 540 USD I believe. My laptop was 800 Euro's (900 USD?) in January.

shouldnt have a problem playing games with that GTX 560.
the cpu & gpu alone in his machine are worth about the $540 bid.

Yeah, that rig should be good. 
You got an SSD, a decent chassis, pretty good RAM (currently using the same), and a very good PSU (love Corsair products). The MSI GTX 560 Ti is a very good card. Comes with a much better cooler than the stock reference cooler (which flat-out sucks). I wish I bought that over that Inno3D GTX 560 Ti I just had RMA'ed yesterday. You really can't go wrong if you cop it at that price it's currently going for. 
smokin.gif

So I don't have a GPU for my rig for another 2-3 weeks. When I get back a new one, I'll just sell it and just cop a GTX 580. Never going back to Inno3D again (even if it is just a bad card
30t6p3b.gif
).

Too bad I just got this in the mail yesterday as well. No GPU, so I can't install it. P67 FTL. 
tired.gif

407240_10150588371148736_593738735_9128644_1864686281_n.jpg

I can't get my cd rom drive to open.. its just a pain..

zk1MPLS wrote:

^ Have you tried using the paperclip method of opening the drive?

If it doesn't work... at least ODDs are much cheaper these days ( <$20 ). I remember the last time I bought a ODD was around 2000-2001. Them things were 10x as expensive!
sick.gif
laugh.gif

What's the paperclip method of opening the drive?

zk1MPLS wrote:

If it doesn't work... at least ODDs are much cheaper these days ( <$20 ). I remember the last time I bought a ODD was around 2000-2001. Them things were 10x as expensive!
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

zk1MPLS wrote:

sick.gif
laugh.gif

This. Assuming you have a PC Optical Drive.

zk1MPLS wrote:

sick.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by datpiff110

why is mac the superior device
Macs are not really superior per se; they're just more... refined (i.e., idiot-proof). Much easier to use since everything's more simplified, which is great for beginners (not saying that PC is complicated, though). They do have better aesthetics and build quality... and better support (better accessories custom-made for Macs). Plus bragging rights for some (just saying that having a Mac in public gets you more attention 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
). They really are well-made devices. 
You don't really get that much value performance-wise (i.e., you can build a mid-range-to-high-end PC rig like I did for the price of a 2011 11" MBA), just a bit more peace of mind. Macs have less viruses. Applecare is
pimp.gif
, though.

If a person can afford it, by all means, cop one. If they can't, there are other alternatives out there that offer more value and are more affordable. I'd say cop both if people can to do so. 
laugh.gif
 Really can't hate either OS, too. I just find PC more versatile for my needs. But if one only does day-to-day stuff like browsing/e-mail/music, a Mac is more than enough -at a premium price. Just don't expect to play games like Crysis or Battlefield 3 on it any time soon (unless you have a Mac Pro).

Originally Posted by datpiff110

why is mac the superior device
Macs are not really superior per se; they're just more... refined (i.e., idiot-proof). Much easier to use since everything's more simplified, which is great for beginners (not saying that PC is complicated, though). They do have better aesthetics and build quality... and better support (better accessories custom-made for Macs). Plus bragging rights for some (just saying that having a Mac in public gets you more attention 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
). They really are well-made devices. 
You don't really get that much value performance-wise (i.e., you can build a mid-range-to-high-end PC rig like I did for the price of a 2011 11" MBA), just a bit more peace of mind. Macs have less viruses. Applecare is
pimp.gif
, though.

If a person can afford it, by all means, cop one. If they can't, there are other alternatives out there that offer more value and are more affordable. I'd say cop both if people can to do so. 
laugh.gif
 Really can't hate either OS, too. I just find PC more versatile for my needs. But if one only does day-to-day stuff like browsing/e-mail/music, a Mac is more than enough -at a premium price. Just don't expect to play games like Crysis or Battlefield 3 on it any time soon (unless you have a Mac Pro).

Originally Posted by Wr

what kind of gpu and power supply are bf3 pc players running?

Runs BF3 on High pretty easily. For Ultra, I have to turn of HBAO and turn down some settings (AA/post processing/shadows, etc.)

Here's the complete rig that I use so far:

Chassis: Cooler Master Elite 430 Cosmos II Ultra Tower

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @4.5-4.8 GHz

CPU Cooler:Corsair H80 + 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-31 5400 RPM fans

Motherboard:GIGABYTE P67A-UD3P-B3 

RAM:8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 CL9

SSD:Crucial M4 128GB SATAIII

HDD:WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 

PSU: Cooler Master GX750 750 Watts (non-modular)
GPU: Inno3D GTX 560 Ti 1GB (well, was using it until it died on me 3 days ago. RMA'ed it now. 3 weeks without a GPU) 
ohwell.gif

Upgrading to a EVGA GTX 580 soon for better futureproofing  waiting for Kepler.

GPU Cooler:Gelid Icy Vision Rev. 2

ODD:Liteon DVD-RW drive

Fan Controller:Cosmos II onboard + NZXT Sentry Mix (50W/channel for the AP-31s)

Keyboard:Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Meka G1 Cherry Mx Black Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse:CM Storm Sentinel Z3RO-G 5400 dpi

Mouse pad:Razer Vespula

Headset:Astro A40

Amp:Astro Wireless MixAmp 5.8

Other:A mix of random fans from Cooler Master, Deep Cool, and Scythe (11 fans total)

Needs some tidying up soon (cable management) and I need better fans. Free case fans that come with chassis sure do suck (or lack in sucking power 
laugh.gif
).

any sager/clevo owners in here?

are you all waiting for the revision of the p150hm? any chassis change or size/weight?

any sager/clevo owners in here?

are you all waiting for the revision of the p150hm? any chassis change or size/weight?

Originally Posted by Wr

what kind of gpu and power supply are bf3 pc players running?

Runs BF3 on High pretty easily. For Ultra, I have to turn of HBAO and turn down some settings (AA/post processing/shadows, etc.)

Here's the complete rig that I use so far:

Chassis: Cooler Master Elite 430 Cosmos II Ultra Tower

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @4.5-4.8 GHz

CPU Cooler:Corsair H80 + 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-31 5400 RPM fans

Motherboard:GIGABYTE P67A-UD3P-B3 

RAM:8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 CL9

SSD:Crucial M4 128GB SATAIII

HDD:WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 

PSU: Cooler Master GX750 750 Watts (non-modular)
GPU: Inno3D GTX 560 Ti 1GB (well, was using it until it died on me 3 days ago. RMA'ed it now. 3 weeks without a GPU) 
ohwell.gif

Upgrading to a EVGA GTX 580 soon for better futureproofing  waiting for Kepler.

GPU Cooler:Gelid Icy Vision Rev. 2

ODD:Liteon DVD-RW drive

Fan Controller:Cosmos II onboard + NZXT Sentry Mix (50W/channel for the AP-31s)

Keyboard:Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Meka G1 Cherry Mx Black Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse:CM Storm Sentinel Z3RO-G 5400 dpi

Mouse pad:Razer Vespula

Headset:Astro A40

Amp:Astro Wireless MixAmp 5.8

Other:A mix of random fans from Cooler Master, Deep Cool, and Scythe (11 fans total)

Needs some tidying up soon (cable management) and I need better fans. Free case fans that come with chassis sure do suck (or lack in sucking power 
laugh.gif
).

zk1MPLS wrote:

zk1MPLS wrote:

sick.gif
laugh.gif

Thank you for the advice.. and thank you for posting the youtube video..
zk1MPLS
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

zk1MPLS wrote:

zk1MPLS wrote:

sick.gif
laugh.gif

Thank you for the advice.. and thank you for posting the youtube video..
zk1MPLS
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Back
Top Bottom