***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Here's the horrible news.

giphy.gif

Has somebody tweeted that article back to him, along with Graham's video about minorities being welcome in SC as long as they are conservative?

What's the significance of the Confederate flag, and why does it continue to have such prominence within conservative circles?

No, nobody sane IRL is going to refer to an anti-abortion rally as a white supremacists rally, unless they start flying Confederate flags with baby pictures superimposed on the Stars and Bars. The presence of White supremacists at an event doesn't automatically make it a WS event. That would be a bad look for Jordan Brand.

The whole point of the Southern strategy is to use "clean" issues that appeal to right-leaning people in order to open the door to WS policies. WS is supposed to hide in plain sight.

Somebody should send him the quote by Nixon's aide about substituting "n****r talk" with "taxes, taxes, taxes."

The way I see it these days, those who refuse to address racism as the foundation of the American socioeconomic hierarchy betray:

1/ that they know exactly what systemic racism is

2/ that they play the ostrich in the face of it to avoid the consequences of discussing it and getting rid of it.
Someone tried to point out why people want to discuss the racist aspect of these situations openly, and often...

Jan 15
I think the point is that we want police, generally, to treat a white insurrectionist with a gun as a more salient threat than a black teenager with a sign. And the current condition of the United States is that they don't.
And since there's no single Federal authority that all of the nation's police report to, the lever we've got to try to change law enforcement threat assessment priorities is basically ground-up and socially-horizontal - we need it to be the case that police are hearing from their friends that it's more important to be afraid of the white secessionist with a firearm than the black kid with the sign. So that requires talking about it a lot. Doesn't it?

The Response...

Jan 15
I would be interested to know if the reason the Black kid with a sign gets rougher treatment than the white guy with a gun is that the white guy is seen as less threatening (per your posit) or that he's seen as *more* threatening.
You can beat up un-armed protestors without fear, while a crowd of Second Amendment Enthusiasts poses a real threat to the officers.

White people get preferential treatment because cops are afraid of them way more than black people brahs. 🥴

He is so committed to the hot take, that he is still tacitly admitting that cops target innocent black people for abuse because they feel they can get away with it.

Is the allegation that the 2m was to bribe Trump or was the 2m to pay Giuliani to lobby?
The associate certainly didn't believe Rudy was asking for $2m to lobby. And the convict had already hired a Trump insider to lobby for a pardon for him.

From the original NYT piece your link references:
d651f110df25da0c018bcb1d858ca93b.png

The associate certainly didn't believe Rudy was asking for $2m to lobby. And the convict had already hired a Trump insider to lobby for a pardon for him.

From the original NYT piece your link references:
d651f110df25da0c018bcb1d858ca93b.png

It sounds like lobbying as written. Perhaps the associate incorrectly thought paying to lobby for pardons was illegal

BTW, the insurrection was about White Supremacy

Generally, Trump improved his margins in urban areas, he did worse in suburbs. If he and his supporters wanted to point to something "fishy" be up, then why not point to the areas where he did worse compared to 2016. But he didn't because attacking suburban voters would not have the same effect. The burbs are not diverse enough to explain the swings, the image of a the suburb voter in people's minds is a white person.

They would need to blame college-educated white liberals and moderate to make this attack on suburban voters.

Trump and his supporters would have to argue that the election was "stolen" because their neighbors, coworkers, and family members decided they had enough of Trump. Nah, that couldn't be, the real answer is the blacks stole it from "us".

To Trump's most diehard supporters, he is an agent of White Supremacy. The fact that non-black people support/vote for him too doesn't change that.

Yglesias is just a left Andrew Sullivan. A fat bald Sam Harris. Bill Maher without the black woman fetish.

Last edited:
I for one am hoping 45 incites more white people riots so that all of America’s hypocrisy can be placed on full display yet again. This is such a sweet ending to a 4 year long bad date.
What I learned when studying the civil rights movement is that marches were held in places they knew white people would get violent so the news media could get the violence on film and it could be aired around the world
I keep telling people who hope she'll run as soon as eligible that she'll have the name recognition, but she won't have the party support and I don't just mean from her colleagues in Congress but from the entire democrat party, voters included.
I'll vote for her because I know she will do everything in her power to crush the bigots and the haters
Perfect example of manipulation of the truth would be my boy who went into the police department. Knew dude for like 6-7 years before he became a cop. Was a neutral guy in terms of politics. Agreed with some liberal perspectives and a few conservative ideas. A year after he became a cop and was surrounded by MAGA types, he became one of those "THE DEMOCRATS ARE DESTROYING OUR SOCIETY" types. It was wild.

Used to chill with him a few times a month and now I go 5-6 weeks between chillin and when we do I just avoid politics as much as possible.
Imagine this exact same thing happening to someone you've known for 30yrs
He even tried to vomit some of that Q crap on me and I hit him with a verbal DDT
Went HAM on him on Jan 6 and told him he was a fake MAGA because he didnt help takeover the capitol

It sounds like lobbying as written.
It's not clear what service Rudy meant to market, though the price is far far higher than any other Trump insider offering to lobby for a pardon. Those reported prices are not even close to being in the same ballpark as Rudy's $2m. The fee is probably what made the associate suspect Rudy was potentially illegally selling pardons (in order words soliciting bribery), or maybe something about the way Rudy's service was described to him.

Perhaps the associate incorrectly thought paying to lobby for pardons was illegal
Definitely not, he doesn't take issue with the Trump insider the convict hired to lobby for a pardon

Personally I think Rudy is just trying to scam potential clients with a beyond absurd fee but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was engaged in an illegal scheme there. Both are perfectly up his alley.

Last edited:
I keep seeing people say Trump is going to pardon himself. Then I read articles saying that he's not able to, and it explicitly says so in the constitution. So what is it, can he pardon himself or not? Are "scholars" just playing dumb to keep people confused?

Back
Top Bottom