***Official Political Discussion Thread***

for me, PBS and NPR and some non-opinion/non-editorial news from NYT, WaPo, WSJ, etc., and maybe some Bloomberg and Economist.

no cnn, no fox.
I’ve seen too much editorial view seeping into the WSJ front page even before the News Corp buyout. Since then, it’s gotten much worse. And no one I know on the street used it for financial news anymore. Or really for more than a decade.

I’ve seen too much editorial view seeping into the WSJ front page even before the News Corp buyout. Since then, it’s gotten much worse. And no one I know on the street used it for financial news anymore. Or really for more than a decade.
where's a good place for financial news?

where's a good place for financial news?
Financial Times is still good, although it admittedly has a Europe Bias.

Bloomberg. And of course all the traders get alerts on their BB terminals. Old school guys like the industry specific subscription newsletters… I occasionally see a copy printed out and left in the bathroom.

For somewhat deep dives, I still recommend Matt Levine. He’s a strong believer in capital markets, so you might find him to be too much of an apologist. but he’s technical, has a spectacular CV, and has a decent knack both for seeing through to the crux of things as well as explaining complicated concepts simply.

Is there any nuance/context to this Dave Chappelle situation that I’m missing? At first I was essentially hearing “Dave hates poors” as the general theme but after reading a bit more it doesn’t seem to be that simple?

“Neither Dave nor his neighbors are against affordable housing, however, they are against the poorly vetted, cookie-cutter, sprawl-style development deal which has little regard for the community, culture and infrastructure of the Village,” Sims added.
“The whole development deal, cloaked as an affordable housing plan, is anything but affordable. Three out of 143 lots would have been for ‘future’ affordable housing. The rest of the homes were to be priced between $250K and upwards of $600K. In Yellow Springs, and in many other places, that is not considered affordable housing. Instead, it’s an accelerant on the homogenization of Yellow Springs"

I’ve also read things like the like the potential developer that would be involved is pulling some rezoning shenanigans that’s going to minimize the actual amount of affordable housing and draw in/attract implants from the surrounding very white/very politically red areas. Not that YS isn’t white enough as it is.

trynafeelmink trynafeelmink

tiffany-pollard-new-york.gif

I was already bombarded with articles the first day this story came out, It's similar to the program they launched in NYC over the summer. and media sensationalized it like media does (but let me guess this is specific to conservatives :lol:)

"Unsafe smoking practices can lead to open sores, burns and cuts on the lips, and can increase the risk of infection among people who smoke drugs. Safe smoking kits have been identified to reduce the spread of disease. The proposal of using grant funds to purchase supplies for safe smoking kits must be justified by Harm Reduction Program applicants as to how they contribute to preventing and controlling the spread of infectious disease in the Harm Reduction Grant application. Harm reduction programs that use federal funding must adhere to federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and other requirements related to such programs or services. The [HHS Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration] does not specify the kits’ elements—only the parameters."

The Beacon report even cites that last line, noting that, “An HHS spokesman declined to specify what is included in the smoking kits.” That would seem to contradict the earlier claim in the same article that the agency also did specify included contents—“these kits will provide pipes.”

i never gave a **** if it was actual crackpipes or not it's just hilarious to say. The overall sentiment & goal of the program is still the same. To assist drug users & try to keep them "safer" by providing them with "smoking kits"

Okay so it won't be a crack pipe..... it's most likely going to be a syringe.... probably something similar to narcan, needles etc etc.

Of all the things affecting the hood, i can tell you ******* smoker aid kits is far far down the list. But if ya'll like it i love it.

Hopefully they take this extremely helpful program into all the other neighborhoods & not just dead in the middle of the ghetto

Naloxone, a reversal drug for opioid overdoses, and other supplies.

This is an example of what's given to users in the facility.... so whether it's a crack pipe or a syringe. Most people are upset at the use of the funds, that isn't going to change no matter how many "It wasn't a crackpipe actually" articles people want to spin.

Last edited:

Wow do I finally get to be the Canadian mad at Americans for commenting about Canadian politics? :lol:

NY Times is buggin, this is some goofy ****.

What, specifically do you disagree with in that editorial?

Personally, I agree with the NYT up until the point that the protests get financed by shadowy outside interests. But even that’s a very tricky issue to solve for.

Is there any nuance/context to this Dave Chappelle situation that I’m missing? At first I was essentially hearing “Dave hates poors” as the general theme but after reading a bit more it doesn’t seem to be that simple?

“Neither Dave nor his neighbors are against affordable housing, however, they are against the poorly vetted, cookie-cutter, sprawl-style development deal which has little regard for the community, culture and infrastructure of the Village,” Sims added.
“The whole development deal, cloaked as an affordable housing plan, is anything but affordable. Three out of 143 lots would have been for ‘future’ affordable housing. The rest of the homes were to be priced between $250K and upwards of $600K. In Yellow Springs, and in many other places, that is not considered affordable housing. Instead, it’s an accelerant on the homogenization of Yellow Springs"

I’ve also read things like the like the potential developer that would be involved is pulling some rezoning shenanigans that’s going to minimize the actual amount of affordable housing and draw in/attract implants from the surrounding very white/very politically red areas. Not that YS isn’t white enough as it is.

it's not that complicated,
it's typical NIMBY stuff, they claim to be in favour of affordable housing,

then they give 4 million conditions that makes building anything impossible.

basically

1644591587495.png

don't be fooled.

tiffany-pollard-new-york.gif

I was already bombarded with articles the first day this story came out, It's similar to the program they launched in NYC over the summer. and media sensationalized it like media does (but let me guess this is specific to conservatives :lol:)

"Unsafe smoking practices can lead to open sores, burns and cuts on the lips, and can increase the risk of infection among people who smoke drugs. Safe smoking kits have been identified to reduce the spread of disease. The proposal of using grant funds to purchase supplies for safe smoking kits must be justified by Harm Reduction Program applicants as to how they contribute to preventing and controlling the spread of infectious disease in the Harm Reduction Grant application. Harm reduction programs that use federal funding must adhere to federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and other requirements related to such programs or services. The [HHS Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration] does not specify the kits’ elements—only the parameters."

The Beacon report even cites that last line, noting that, “An HHS spokesman declined to specify what is included in the smoking kits.” That would seem to contradict the earlier claim in the same article that the agency also did specify included contents—“these kits will provide pipes.”

i never gave a **** if it was actual crackpipes or not it's just hilarious to say. The overall sentiment & goal of the program is still the same. To assist drug users & try to keep them "safer" by providing them with "smoking kits"

Okay so it won't be a crack pipe..... it's most likely going to be a syringe.... probably something similar to narcan, needles etc etc.

Of all the things affecting the hood, i can tell you ****ing smoker aid kits is far far down the list. But if ya'll like it i love it.

Hopefully they take this extremely helpful program into all the other neighborhoods & not just dead in the middle of the ghetto

Naloxone, a reversal drug for opioid overdoses, and other supplies.

This is an example of what's given to users in the facility.... so whether it's a crack pipe or a syringe. Most people are upset at the use of the funds, that isn't going to change no matter how many "It wasn't a crackpipe actually" articles people want to spin.
It’s intuitive to believe that harm reduction kits lower the costs of using drugs and therefore increase drug use.

However there is overwhelming evidence that it does not contribute to increased drug use, but does lower morbidity and morbidity for drug users.

These programs are fairly well documented as working as intended without significant side effects and are deployed with great success around the world.

So while your argument rings true, the evidence overwhelmingly disputes it.

How do you feel about teaching safe sec in schools?

Back
Top Bottom