***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Harvard's admissions criteria was goofy and discriminatory. They desserved criticism, and seemed like they changed. But they are a private institution.

But I am more pissed about the UNC decision that applies to all public institutions.

I think everyone acting like things are not gonna get worse are being naive.

This will embolden the conservative right to bring more lawsuits, attacking anything they see benefiting black kids when it comes to college.

Trump a criminal, a rapist and a racist.. at the least

and dwalk31 dwalk31 cant say 1 bad thing about that old fat white man, in spite of the over half a century’s worth of evidence

and this dude put 3 lifelong appointments on that unelected body that is clearly overstepping

Do you think President Biden will support expanding the Supreme Court?

sucks that conservative chinese/chinese american folks were cherry picked by edward blum to roll back affirmative action and uphold white supremacy.. and then this being generally extrapolated as a sentiment of the larger as/asian am community :smh:

Last edited:
Trump a criminal, a rapist and a racist.. at the least

and dwalk31 dwalk31 cant say 1 bad thing about that old fat white man, in spite of the over half a century’s worth of evidence

and this dude put 3 lifelong appointments on that unelected body that is clearly overstepping

Being silent or disingenuous on all of the horrendous things that come from the right-wing and then using the dismantling of affirmative action as an opportunity to pop up and thumb his nose is disgraceful even for him...and that bar was pretty damn low to begin with

Really tells you a lot about his sense of morality (or lack thereof)

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I wonder if he knows he's being disengenuous/straight up lying, or if he really believes this and doesn't see the hypocrisy

Harvard's admissions criteria was goofy and discriminatory. They desserved criticism, and seemed like they changed. But they are a private institution.

But I am more pissed about the UNC decision that applies to all public institutions.

I think everyone acting like things are not gonna get worse are being naive.

This will embolden the conservative right to bring more lawsuits, attacking anything they see benefiting black kids when it comes to college.

Question; does this ruling stop a school from considering if someone was the descendant of slaves for example?

it seems to me like there are all kind of ways to get around this if the schools wanted to.

Being silent or disingenuous on all of the horrendous things that come from the right-wing and then using the dismantling of affirmative action as an opportunity to pop up and thumb his nose is disgraceful even for him...and that bar was pretty damn low to begin with

Really tells you a lot about his sense of morality (or lack thereof)

before today, this was dude’s last post on NT

but instead of asking google, this dude asking us about shh biden did decades ago

Question; does this ruling stop a school from considering if someone was the descendant of slaves for example?

it seems to me like there are all kind of ways to get around this if the schools wanted to.
Questions, does the supposed work arounds guarantee that enrollment rates will remain the same in all cases?

Will conservatives take the W and stop here? Have they every in the past? Because the court also seemed to provide a legal framework and green light for more lawsuits.

Do you know how to make up for the downstream affects if enrollment rates drop. Hell at best some students have to go to lower ranked and quality school, because in America society that uses a college degree as a entry ticket for many field?

Right now I am not buying that this decision is narrow enough not to worry.

Seems to be like you are making the same argument a lot centrists like to make. That after conservatives win a fight the waged for decades, that nothing will fundamentally change. So there is no need to worry.

I am simply not that hopeful

According to his recent biography, he really believes that he’s a black nationalist and that the best thing for black peoples is for them not to participate in white institutions be it voting or higher education at PWI institutions.

For all intents and purposes, his rulings are anti Black (the idea that political participate or the vast majority of colleges and universities are inherently white spaces rather than historically white spaces due to centuries of violence exclusion is an extremely Ruckus take, for example) BUT he thinks he’s pro Black. Smart people are good at constructing elaborate models of how the world works in order to justify selfishness and betrayal of one’s own community.

The Republicans, very nasty people.

They got everything they wanted, in terms of policy, over the last 40 years. Then things unsurprisingly get worse for regular people, so then Republicans do what they do best, find a racial scapegoat and double down on their policy prescriptions.

For instance, as governor he cut funding for public universities in California and raised tuition/fees. As president, he initiated supply side economics, the premise that if we give corporations what they want, they will hire more people and pay better wages.

Fast forward to the 1990’s and predictably, corporations aren’t handing out raises and hiring then training people in the way that they did before the tax cuts. Why should they? with lower corporate taxes, you can direct more profits to shareholders, executive compensation, and stock buy backs. Moreover, the need to have a college degree is growing in importance for those who are seeking a good job.

Predictably, this increasing levels of anxiety for working people. Among those working people were white people who thought that the primary barrier of entry, for their kids to join the middle class, was affirmative action. So they voted to ban it in California.

Of course, this did nothing to make the lot in life of downwardly mobile whites better because it was college costs, and legacy admissions that made a college education harder to obtain.

Now we jump forward a quarter century, things are worse than ever for downwardly mobile whites (some of them gave up on pursuing higher education as a tool for upward mobility and have begun fetishizing the trades and entrepreneurship. Two great options for sone but not scalable and not a wholesale substitute for affordable and accessible education). They now are blaming elite, private sector conspiracies that aim to favor marginalized groups, hence their new obsessions with “the woke fed,” “corporate communism,” and “blue haired SJWs in HR” (this one is especially funny, “if only I could get a sit down with Elon, he’d know how smart and logical I am, he’ll know I’m a genius because I watch “Rick ‘n’ Morty” and watched a few videos about coding on YouTube. It’s his corrupt HR depart full of man hating women with green hair who are holding me back).

So of course they blame their economic woes of the small remnants of “affirmative action” and in light of this ruling and I am sure that everything will be great for downwardly mobile whites. I am sure that in another 20 years their lot in life won’t be worse but if it is, they surely won’t blame all their woes on like interracial couple in the commercials they see.

Again, white conservatives, very nasty people.

According to his recent biography, he really believes that he’s a black nationalist and that the best thing for black peoples is for them not to participate in white institutions be it voting or higher education at PWI institutions.

Seems pretty comfortable

1688093274227.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom