***Official Political Discussion Thread***

giphy.gif

Seems pretty comfortable

1688093274227.jpeg

Oh yeah, he’s a hypocrite. And while sometimes pointing out hypocrisy can be a weak ad hominem, especially when the critic of a system either cannot viably opt out of it or would suffer undue harm by opting out (like an anti capitalist participating in a capitalist economic system, or a feminist cishet woman who gets married, or an anti racist person marrying a white person) in the case of Thomas, it’s a totally valid argument. Like if you can thrive within white institutions, your whole black nationalist/black separatists politics are internally incoherent and your rulings that make it harder for other black people can only be coming from a place of self loathing.

He probably da first to drop da N bomb

Oh god, now you got me picturing summer 2024’s elite psychodrama consisting of white federal judges and lawyers arguing that all jurists should be allowed to say the n word because Clearance Thomas started using it in his opinions.

Right wings love subtly telling on themselves.

the beauty of that BS about Asians is that all of that nonsense is placed upon the group by those people in either direction to fit whatever narrative they need at the time.

Minorities can't succeed in America? Just look at Asians. Minorities are taking over and corrupting the country! Look at the Asians!

hadnt heard about babylon bee until now.. imma just go ahead and assume their whole shtick is racism dressed up as “satire”

took a quick glance at their twitter and white folk love doing this ****, using satire to get off their offensive/problematic takes

never thought i’d say this but at least the ben shapiros and charlie kirks say what they mean instead of trying to mask it

Questions, does the supposed work arounds guarantee that enrollment rates will remain the same in all cases?

Will conservatives take the W and stop here? Have they every in the past? Because the court also seemed to provide a legal framework and green light for more lawsuits.

Do you know how to make up for the downstream affects if enrollment rates drop. Hell at best some students have to go to lower ranked and quality school, because in America society that uses a college degree as a entry ticket for many field?

Right now I am not buying that this decision is narrow enough not to worry.

Seems to be like you are making the same argument a lot centrists like to make. That after conservatives win a fight the waged for decades, that nothing will fundamentally change. So there is no need to worry.

I am simply not that hopeful

to be clear it's not a prediction, im just saying maybe activists can put pressure on schools to maintain the status quo via other means.
but sure things can always get worse.

im highly skeptical the schools even care about equity tbh
ive said before a bunch of times I find the way higher education works in America, especially at elite schools to be incredibly strange and off putting

feels like it's 90% class signaling. and like maybe 10% education.

to be clear it's not a prediction, im just saying maybe activists can put pressure on schools to maintain the status quo via other means.

ive said before a bunch of times I find the way higher education works in America, especially at elite schools to be incredibly strange and off putting

Well this goes back to a previous point I made, today isn't just about elite universities

Public universities have been affected too

Public universities have to care about things beyond education because gutting their funding in state budgets have made it that way

And those schools have done way more for the black middle class than elite schools

I think there are a ton of people in those schools that care about educating a diverse student body.

I’m only speaking about elite private universities here. When you think about what college offers as a consumer good it exists to make rich kids look smart and smart kids a chance to network with the rich.

Who is rich? That’s pretty easy to answer. Who is smart is very hard to answer and that is where the friction is. Is a perfect SAT score from a kid, who is white and whose parents were never poor, as impressive as, for example, a near perfect score by someone who is middle class and is black. Or what about a good score from someone who is poor, Afro-Latino, and has dyslexia that wasn’t diagnosed until her junior year.

The faculty are largely motivated to consider these questions and genuinely care about equity. But I’d agree that the administrators do not and they are the sort of people who, if born in a different year or zip code, would have been finance bros or Silicon Valley grifters, so they largely care about DEI because it’s trendy among business elites at the moment.

The GOP bloc on the Supreme Court decided to break the tie. Recognizing the university’s role in deciding who gets to join the elite/stay in the elite. With this decision they made their preferences known.

We’ll have to see what academia does or does not do in order work around this ruling. But they may just take a “race blind” (aka pro white) position on admissions and then double down on signaling an abstract “commitment” to DEI.

Who is rich? That’s pretty easy to answer. Who is smart is very hard to answer and that is where the friction is. Is a perfect SAT score from a kid, who is white and whose parents were never poor, as impressive as, for example, a near perfect score by someone who is middle class and is black. Or what about a good score from someone who is poor, Afro-Latino, and has dyslexia that wasn’t diagnosed until her junior year.

We have a thing here called widening access. Our system is a little different that you get into college with exam grades you get in high school - and what is required depends on the course. Things like medicine have high standards and the requirements go down from there.

But if you live in certain postcodes the requirements are about 75% of that - acknowledging that those kids haven’t had any of the advantages of others like tutors or better schools or parents to push them. Makes a lot of sense I think.

Looks like Twitter is now not readable unless you have a login? Clicked on the above posts and they all go to a login/sign up screen! Can't view anything! Seriously?!! It worked fine yesterday 🤷I am NOT signing up, but I do read the links/watch the videos posted, since they were viewable without a login. Guess not now (I'm sure it will get changed back. At least I hope).

Last edited:
The silver lining in this is mediocre white men can now blame someone else for why they dont go to school.....

It should be white women who statistically have benefitted from affirmative action but they wont go after them....or legacies.....or black people with a jump shot.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by Delk, a man of African descent from the Bible Belt, coming to antagonize a thread full of Black and Brown folks over the Supreme Court gutting Affirmative Action, but it’s truly despicable. The concern trolling, and what will Biden and/or the Democrats do rhetoric is low brow, but that part is wholly unsurprising given who he is. Those white folks look at you just how they look at us no matter how good you lick their boots or butter their biscuits.

i think the most ironic thing about the super aggressive anti affirmative action crowd especially those that consider themselves "high achieving" is that their biggest hurdle isnt the black/brown valedictorian at an underfunded inner city high school, or even the white legacy student. The biggest issue is that they all congregate in the same zipcodes, same school districts, and same schools. If your school, area, and income bracket historically produce "high achievers" in terms of education, than that high achievement isnt special. How black and brown students achieve in worse conditions is irrelevant to the fact that they dont stand out amongst their peers.

Back
Top Bottom