***Official Political Discussion Thread***

President Biden for me as well

IMG_6560.gif

jk man. i’m glad to hear that!

Vavra enrolled her daughter Alex in Summit Schools in Cedar Rapids and so far she’s loving it. “Every day she comes home and she has a new best friend. Cracks me up,” Vavra said.

Vavra says since being at Summit, her daughter is no longer falling behind. She also gets additional help from a tutor, which is expensive. “Right now, like, our tutoring is about $6,000 annually,” Vavra said.

When the school voucher bill, or Students First Act, passed Vavra says she thought her daughter would finally get the help she needs. “I kind of felt like okay we have some hope for her because we can do the tutoring, we can pay for the tutoring ourselves, and then with the ESA we can also afford to send her to Summit,” Vavra said.

For the 2023-2024 school year, tuition before vouchers or any other discounts at Summit is $8,090. In the 2024-2025 school year, the cost will be $14,350. The state allocates $7,598 per student in the ESA voucher program.

Currently, Vavra pays $492 for tuition after the voucher kicks in. Next year, she’ll have to pay $6,715 after it kicks in.
“She still needs tutoring and so it is a question of how now are we going to afford both of these things? I don’t want to pull her out of this school,” Vavra said.

Vavra says she’ll have to make some tough choices to afford both due to the increase in tuition and the cost of the tutor. “I’m thinking maybe I could take some money out of our retirement account to do both. That’s the only thing that I have come up with,” Vavra said.

There are no caps on tuition increases in the law. State Auditor Rob Sand says he has additional concerns about a lack of oversight. “That there are going to be no requirement for audit, no requirement for public records, no requirement for public meetings and just no transparency as to how that money is actually getting used,” Sand said.

This is 100% my experience, every young left person I engage with on this
doesn't know anything about about the conflict beyond vibes, slogans and memes.

I don't care enough to engage. I have no point other than getting my curiosity fulfilled.

Do you take those moments with the young folks to teach them some portions of truth about the conflict? Or point them in a direction where they could and should (if they truly want to have feelings on the matter) learn more?

I don't care enough to engage. I have no point other than getting my curiosity fulfilled.

Do you take those moments with the young folks to teach them some portions of truth about the conflict? Or point them in a direction where they could and should (if they truly want to have feelings on the matter) learn more?

Right? Seems like while he was initially ignorant, he was more than willing to adjust his thinking when presented with facts. I’d much rather have that than the Dunning Kruger morass of other demographics.

Also, I struggle to understand what relevance there is to “Latino Engineer”

Right? Seems like while he was initially ignorant, he was more than willing to adjust his thinking when presented with facts. I’d much rather have that than the Dunning Kruger morass of other demographics.

I think they included his non-european race to remove doubt about potential bias and included him being an engineer because you'd assume someone working to become that understands the importance of research and fact finding prior to taking a stance on something.

Should have included their age though. I'd be willing to bet that explains more about their position than their race or major. Young people lack exposure, news at 11.

because of the algorithmic nature of social media, most people do not get the calm IRL sober minded explanation of the conflict.

instead they live in meme world where river to the sea means "everyone lives in peace in two secular states!"

again if I was saying this about right wing media, no one would find this difficult to belive.
but when it's left winger that live in a world of misinformation, and anti-dem propaganda.

the burden of evidence escalates.

So I can’t call that POS a POS? Just saying…. It Seems unfair. He’s out hear insulting our intelligence and we can’t insult his character.

• Fire
Reactions: DLF

What a bleeping 🤡!!

So, he's not testifying for his own defense, but when he holds his little impromptu presser outside the court room, he'll scream and yell he didn't get the chance to tell his side! What a putz!

Back
Top Bottom