***Official Political Discussion Thread***

How do we feel about Kamala Harris :nerd:

Charismatic as hell. Seems very smart, rational and progressive. Have read/seen/heard about her before....but she's starting to click now. The women's march was big for her.

A Blasian sista for 2020 :nerd: :nerd:? Somebody get me hip.

That's my senator *salute* :pimp:

She has a good chance just like Corey Booker. I think they both have that Obama effect in terms of getting minorities out in record numbers.

Last edited:
The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office had projected two days earlier that partial repeal would increase the ranks of the uninsured nationwide by 18 million the first year and 32 million within a decade.

In other words, the number of uninsured people will surpass the number of uninsured before the passage of the ACA (it stood at 40 million).

The economic implications of an increasingly sick and bankrupt population are very obvious and they have been talked about at length here. Politically, I am not so sure anymore about what will happen.

Last edited:
PA is just an out of touch commonwealth. The state still has a monopoly on the sale of alcohol and refuses to privatize it. We've been near last in job growth for Since Corbett was governor and our current government can't get things done but they keep getting reelected. I say all that to say, that I'm not surprised. All those people who don't have transportation access to better healthcare facilities that live in these townships/boroughs/towns that voted for Donny will be crying soon enough if they aren't already. Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, and George Westinghouse aint hoppin out of their graves to revive the industries in Western PA

@oneilmatt

"Make no mistake, almost no one has health insurance without government support in America," he wrote in the report. "The half of Americans who receive health insurance through their employer often fail to realize that they receive a huge tax break for the cost of that insurance because it is not counted as income. Indeed, the cost of that tax break every year, $250 billion, is twice the cost of the ACA itself."

"You're a leech, I'm a leech, everybody is a leech"

Ya actually thought Robo Rubio was gonna break party lines and vote no? I knew that "grilling" he did during the confirmation hearings was nothing more than political theatre. Spineless

Some good news in the midst of this crazy weekend. But, this is not a fix. Heads need to roll for this travesty and the government needs to do the right thing. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/300-union-plumbers-flint_us_56b0e3c3e4b0a1b96203ce9e

[h1]300 Plumbers Poured Into Flint, Michigan, To Install Water Filters For Free[/h1][h2]“We certainly can help correct the damage that has been done!”[/h2]

02/02/2016 03:46 pm ET

300 Union Plumbers Spent The Weekend Installing Water Filters For Flint Residents For Free https://t.co/TrCAdu8lpz  pic.twitter.com/kGeQDwvr23
— ThinkProgress (@thinkprogress) February 2, 2016

Everyone wants to see the city of Flint swim rather than sink — including plumbers.

More than 300 union plumbers from all over Michigan flooded Flint to install free filters for residents, this past weekend.

According to ABC12, not all the faucets in Flint can fit a filter, which each resident of the city desperately needs in order to get rid of lead in their drinking water. Some of the faucets are older and oddly shaped, making the installation of a filter nearly impossible.

Local plumbers with United Association Local 370  in Flint have been going door-to-door making sure that faucets are filter ready since October, reports Michigan Radio. And last weekend, they got a boost from hundreds of union volunteers.

Upon the small army of plumbers’ arrival on Saturday, they got a moving welcome from Local 370 official Harold Harrington.

“We did not cause this American tragedy in Flint,” Harrington told the crowd. “But we certainly can help correct the damage that has been done!”

On Saturday alone, plumbers replaced faucets and filters in 800 homes. Plumbing Manufacturers International donated the faucets, which cost about $100 a pop according to ABC12, which is a price tag many residents of Flint cannot afford.

The problem with Flint’s drinking water occurred several months ago when the Michigan city switched its water system from the Flint River and failed to use corrosion controls. The result was lead in the drinking water, which if consumed can lead to a laundry list of severe health risks.

Some residents noticed something fishy in the drinking water right away.

“I was buying the water before we even realized they said all the lead was in it,” Berdie Johnson, a Flint resident, told Radio Michigan, “because the water was brown. Looked like Kool-Aid!”

Since Gov. Rick Snyder admitted that he let residents down, tons of everyday folks and celebrities alike have donated money and sent water bottles to Flint, including Jimmy FallonCher  and Pearl Jam.

Last edited:
In other words, the number of uninsured people will surpass the number of uninsured before the passage of the ACA (it stood at 40 million).

The economic implications of an increasingly sick and bankrupt population are very obvious and they have been talked about at length here. Politically, I am not so sure anymore about what will happen.
What about Canada? Is that an option for some people to get less expensive surgeries etc?

I think I've mentioned the story before about an American kid joining our highschool because he needed a complex leg surgery and it was less costly for his parents to temporarily move him to Belgium for a year with some distant relatives so he could get his surgery and full recovery treatment done here.

I didn't talk to him much as we weren't in the same class so I'm not sure what kind of insurance, if any, they had in the US.

Last edited:
How do we feel about Kamala Harris
nerd.gif

Charismatic as hell. Seems very smart, rational and progressive. Have read/seen/heard about her before....but she's starting to click now. The women's march was big for her.

A Blasian sista for 2020
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
? Somebody get me hip.
She's black and she's hot. I'd vote her in for 4 terms if I could 
pimp.gif

What about Canada? Is that an option for some people to get less expensive surgeries etc?
I think I've mentioned the story before about an American kid joining our highschool because he needed a complex leg surgery and it was less costly for his parents to temporarily move him to Belgium for a year with some distant relatives so he could get his surgery and full recovery treatment done here.
I didn't talk to him much as we weren't in the same class so I'm not sure what kind of insurance, if any, they had in the US.

I know medical tourism (in Mexico) is usually done for dental work, and I suspect more people will revert to traveling abroad to get care. i'm thinking about Cuba (for example) as a future destination considering the reestablishment of relations with the country and the reputation of its medical system.

@oneilmatt

"Make no mistake, almost no one has health insurance without government support in America," he wrote in the report. "The half of Americans who receive health insurance through their employer often fail to realize that they receive a huge tax break for the cost of that insurance because it is not counted as income. Indeed, the cost of that tax break every year, $250 billion, is twice the cost of the ACA itself."

"You're a leech, I'm a leech, everybody is a leech"

I tried telling Ninja, and Blco, the same thing.

Nearly everyone in this country has there health insurance subsidized by the federal government.

If all these heartless free market capitalist had to pay for the full cost of their coverage (or the employer didn't get tax breaks) the shock to the system would send premiums skyrocketing and everyone would warm up to single payer real damb quick.

Last edited:
cuba is huge for medical care.. I know a ton of American that currently travel through the Bahamas to go to Cuba currently for care

I tried telling Ninja, and Blco, the same thing.

Nearly everyone in this country has there health insurance subsidized by the federal government.

If all these heartless free market capitalist had to pay for the full cost of their coverage (or the employer didn't get tax breaks) the shock to the system would send premiums skyrocketing and everyone would warm up to single payer real damb quick.

:x :x :x

Doing this will for sure crash our economy....if all of a sudden everyone's pay is cut by 25% while the cost of living remains the same, we are *****

Well except ya mans in controlled rent.

They are gonna keep the states the option to keep the ACA

I have to applaud this play call/finesse move, it jams up so many Dems, and allows the GOP to ravage it in secret inside of out in the open.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom