***Official Political Discussion Thread***

It's not improper to use leverage to seek cooperation in the context of an ongoing DOJ investigation.

Crowdstrike does not appear to be part of any official DOJ investigation however. Another complicating factor is that the aid was approved by Congress. The Pentagon reportedly concluded that withholding the aid would be illegal.

I'm really not sure what Mulvaney is doing or thinks he's doing here. Perhaps he is just trying to muddy the waters.

Last edited:

sabu.png
sabu.png

Mick dip **** Mulvaney unintentionally ****ed up every single side of the White House and DOJ's stories and threw everybody under the bus. BURN THE TRAITOR AT THE STAKE.

After a quick review of the press conference, I see what Mulvaney was trying to do.

He tried to include Crowdstrike under the banner of the ongoing DOJ investigation into the Russia probe's origins.
However, there has been no reporting suggesting Crowdstrike's role is part of that probe and in fact, Crowdstrike's contribution in the Russia probe has been repeatedly reaffirmed by Republicans.
Crowdstrike examined the DNC servers and first attributed the hack to Russia. That was later confirmed by the FBI, the intel agencies, the Republican-led House Intel committee, the Republican-led Senate Intel committee and the Republican-led Special Counsel investigation.

Putting aside the Pentagon's reported conclusion that the withholding of aid approved by Congress would be illegal, Mulvaney was trying to sketch a proper use of leverage to urge cooperation in the context of an ongoing investigation.

Mulvaney also tried to emphasize that the pressure on Ukraine to investigate Biden had nothing to do with holding up the military aid. Obviously not a credible claim given Trump and Giuliani's intense focus on getting Ukraine to investigate Biden. In the July 25 call to Zelensky, Trump asked Zelensky to investigate both Biden and Crowdstrike. And as everyone knows, Rudy was running around on the president's orders to also press Ukraine into investigating Biden.

My impression is that Mulvaney probably tried to get ahead of something, perhaps an orange bus heading in his direction, but overplayed his hand in the process.

Back
Top Bottom