***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Someone mentioned thalidomide in the replies. Here the FDA didn't trust the initial testing with the drug and did not approve it (refusing 6 times). It was later found out that it causes birth defects.

Testing of drugs is rigorous for such reasons. It's easy to get fooled by small studies. It's also easy (as in the case of Tuskegee) to exploit people.

That's why it's dangerous and irresponsible of politicians to promote experimental treatments for Covid-19 without acknowledging or understanding the evidence needed to clear a drug. The study in the article may be ok, but in general we need politicians to stay out of the science other than providing funding, resources, and capacity for fast-tracking studies.

One other aside -- this follows a familiar pattern of society preferring an easy way out in the form of medication rather than doing the harder but more effective approach. Statins vs diet and exercise. Magic covid drug or socially isolate for a bit.

Someone mentioned thalidomide in the replies. Here the FDA didn't trust the initial testing with the drug and did not approve it (refusing 6 times). It was later found out that it causes birth defects.

Testing of drugs is rigorous for such reasons. It's easy to get fooled by small studies. It's also easy (as in the case of Tuskegee) to exploit people.

That's why it's dangerous and irresponsible of politicians to promote experimental treatments for Covid-19 without acknowledging or understanding the evidence needed to clear a drug. The study in the article may be ok, but in general we need politicians to stay out of the science other than providing funding, resources, and capacity for fast-tracking studies.

One other aside -- this follows a familiar pattern of society preferring an easy way out in the form of medication rather than doing the harder but more effective approach. Statins vs diet and exercise. Magic covid drug or socially isolate for a bit.

Not to mention that the drugs that are being touted as being approved by the FDA are approved for a single, specific use and not in conjunction with one another. God only knows how Z-packs interact with other drugs in terms of treatments. That course of treatment definitely has not been approved by the FDA and needs additional testing.

People love to forget that there is a reason that governmental authorities like the FDA and EPA were created and it was to stop gross negligence like this. If it works, thats great, if it doesn't then who is liable? The drug companies that made the drug or the people who pushed those drugs out with limited research and medical backing?

This is the #SMASHMOUTHSOCIALDISTANCING I'm talking about. Sometimes it will require you to choke out someone to make sure they keep that 6 foot buffer.

Putting his hands on people's children like this, smh. I would probably beat him within an inch of his life. I don't get these idiots harassing people about social distancing while not social distancing.

all jokes aside, what is the appeal of anyone with options choosing to remain in the US once this all wraps?

I already see people talking about moving out of NY(!!!) because they are dissatisfied with their experience...

with entire industries going remote, dcking this crisis up might end up really really really costing that country.

Bring back this dude:

SeanSpicer.jpg

We could use some comedy in these dark times.

all jokes aside, what is the appeal of anyone with options choosing to remain in the US once this all wraps?

I already see people talking about moving out of NY(!!!) because they are dissatisfied with their experience...

with entire industries going remote, dcking this crisis up might end up really really really costing that country.

I will let the words of America's greatest civil rights leader explain.

"This is America, man. We've stormed the beaches of Normandy. We've sent a rover out on Mars and walked on the moon," Swinney said. "This is the greatest country. We've created an iPhone where I can sit here and talk to people in all these different places. We've got the smartest people in the world. We're going to rise up and kick this thing in the teeth and get back to our lives."
--- Dabo Luther King Swinney

I like America, I’m not ashamed to be an American. I didn’t burn anything with an American flag on it that I own. Not my fault there is an electoral college and around half the country is brain dead. Things might get worse and maybe they’ll get better.

If I become a refugee I’m going to Australia.

Back
Top Bottom