***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So. technically you could test positive and NOT be contagious? If so, I fail to understand the importance of being tested.....
I think others covered it but to elaborate -- if you test positive, you have virus and are likely shedding virus and contagious, even if you are asymptomatic at the time.

it's possible to test negative one day and then positive the next. there are people who recovered and tested negative but then tested positive the next day. I assume it's because the tests aren't perfect. that's why typically you need to test negative on consecutive days to be considered cleared, afaik.

lastly -- the benefit of testing, even if it doesn't correlate with your current symptoms or whether you are contagious, is that it lets you know if you've been exposed to the virus and thus that you've been shedding it. this is important to inform your contacts and for limiting the spread of the virus and also for public health officials to track the spread of the virus.

COVID-19: Recovered patients have partially reduced lung function
Chinese researchers have found fluid- or debris-filled sacs in the lungs of those who were infected by COVID-19. Scans suggest sustained organ damage.

I mentioned this when it was reported a while ago but speaking from experience, even something along the lines of the reported 20-30% potential decrease in lung capacity feels far worse than you'd imagine. It is truly awful and feels like you only have 1 lung.

The U.S. debt was $23.4 trillion as of Feb. 19, 2020. 1 Most headlines focus on how much the United States owes China, one of the largest foreign owners. What many people don't know is that the Social Security Trust Fund, aka your retirement money, owns most of the national debt.

The public holds $17.1 trillion of the national debt. Foreign governments and investors hold 39% of it. Individuals, banks, and investors hold 17%. The Federal Reserve holds 11%. Mutual funds hold 9%. State and local governments own 5%. The rest is held by pension funds, insurance companies, and Savings Bonds.

Foreign - $6.4 trillion. (In December 2019, Japan owned $1.15 trillion and China owned $1.07 trillion of U.S. debt.5 That's more than one-third of foreign holdings.)

In 2014, China supplanted Canada as the source of the largest share of foreign buyers of U.S. residential real estate, according to data from the National Association of Realtors.

In 2018 dollars, Chinese buyers accounted for roughly 25% of total foreign investment in U.S. residential real estate. Canada was No. 2 at 9%.

Of the 284,000 properties sold to foreign buyers last year, some 40,400, or 15%, were bought by Chinese nationals. Five years earlier, Chinese nationals had purchased 23,075 homes, representing just 12% of all properties sold to foreign buyers.

James Woods is an MIT educated idiot.

I think others covered it but to elaborate -- if you test positive, you have virus and are likely shedding virus and contagious, even if you are asymptomatic at the time.

it's possible to test negative one day and then positive the next. there are people who recovered and tested negative but then tested positive the next day. I assume it's because the tests aren't perfect. that's why typically you need to test negative on consecutive days to be considered cleared, afaik.

lastly -- the benefit of testing, even if it doesn't correlate with your current symptoms or whether you are contagious, is that it lets you know if you've been exposed to the virus and thus that you've been shedding it. this is important to inform your contacts and for limiting the spread of the virus and also for public health officials to track the spread of the virus.

I also agree. One of the least talked about aspects is how the virus should encourage people to let others know so they can self isolate. I for one would let all my family and friends know that I had the virus so they could take proactive steps to avoid spreading it. Here in Denver we are under a Shelter in Place order to slow this thing down. I am so thankful to all of the medical professionals that are putting their own health on the line so that we can be safe. COVID-19 or as I call it Rona is the single greatest threat to our society. It doesn't care about your race, color or political affiliation, it wants to take the crown from LIBCLOWN-44 AND I WON'T LET IT. This message board needs a shelter in place order to keep liberal conjecture and innuendo OUTTA here. Too many people talking about free stuff shows that we might be to late to save the young and the old but if we can save one person from LIBCLOWN-44 by infecting them with COVID-19, everything is worth it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-reelection-may-hinge-on-the-economy-and-coronavirus/

But what about Trump’s approval rating improving since the coronavirus crisis began? Indeed, Trump’s approval rating has improved in recent days so that it’s among the highest ratings of his presidency. As I mentioned, his approval rating among voters is now roughly 45 percent, which is up from 43 or 44 percent since early March, while his disapproval rating has fallen from 52 to 53 percent to 51 percent.

However, compared with typical rally-around-the-flag effects that follow national crises, these gains are fairly meager. For instance, Bush’s approval rating improved from 51 percent to 86 percent following the September 11 attacks, and Carter’s approval rating nearly doubled in 1979 in the immediate wake of the Iran hostage crisis. (Granted, both of their ratings declined sharply from there.) But Trump is also not seeing nearly as much of an approval rating bounce as other leaders in Western countries, such as Italy’s Giuseppe Conte, France’s Emmanuel Macron, and the UK’s Boris Johnson. So it’s not clear that a small approval rating gain is a bullish sign for Trump.

If a private company is deemed too essential to national interests (stability, security, etc.) that it can’t be allowed to fail, then it should be nationalized. Period.

I am more of a commercial airplanes guy when it comes to aerospace but in a nutshell, its possible if a country REALLY wanted to do it but it would be extremely expensive due to R&D. People may contend it doesn’t matter when you look at defense programs such as the F-35 which will cost the government over a trillion dollars over the current estimated life of the program (I believe that’s through 2060). However, that was for a cost-plus contract where the government pays for any overages. They are switching to mainly fixed-price ie the manufacturer pays for overages. The new Bomber which is to be built by Northrop Grumman is cost-plus, though so it lol be interesting to see how that plays out. Having multiple firms also helps to spur innovation and drive down costs.

I already know how this will play out if the second wave warnings become more serious..

Medical experts: We need to prepare for a second wave

Trump:
tenor.gif

A conservative friend of mine said “Boogeyman” upon seeing that tweet.

If it wasn’t abundantly clear before, it should be now that Republican voters are not letting ANYTHING deter them from backing their mans. I hope every non-conservative (don’t even have to be full on liberal) sees this as well as the position that the President of The United States has put us in. And even if you don’t see it, I’m sure you’ll unfortunately feel it in the upcoming weeks and months.

Trump and his army are not backing down. VOTE THIS NOVEMBER!

Back
Top Bottom