***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I actually think this is a way better idea than just forcing companies to pay a $15 minimum wage. Get rid of bonus depreciation, asset amortization on acquisitions, tax credits for the companies that refuse to pay a living wage. Give them the choice. Pay your employees **** or pay the federal government. Then when all the companies around the crap companies start paying a living wage employees will leave said crap company to get better pay.

$15 is a better idea

For a lot of reasons, but mainly there are millions of workers that work for small businesses.

All this tax stuff is needless work-around

I don't disagree but $15/hour isn't getting passed in our current congressional makeup so its a moot point.

If companies want to be cheap make them pay more in taxes because of it. If small businesses are really the concern just implement a progressive rate structure like we did prior to 2017 and have small businesses pay tax at 10.5% up to a certain amount of earnings to offset the cost.

Our current flat rate structure of 21% really doesn't make any sense anyways. Small businesses shouldn't pay tax at the same rate as mega corporations like walmart.

Last edited:
I don't disagree but $15/hour isn't getting passed in our current congressional makeup so its a moot point
Ok, yeah. But I was responding mainly to the first line of your statement

The first line of your statement claimed manipulations to the tax code were an idea than $15 minimum wage. Your argument seemed to be based on policy, not Seante procedure. You didn't mention Congress.

So I objected to it on policy grounds.

Ok, yeah. But I was responding to the first line of your statement

The first line of your statement claimed manipulations to the tax code were an idea than $15 minimum wage. Your argument seemed to be based on policy, not procedure. You didn't mention Congress.

So I objected to it on policy grounds.

I mean I think its a great idea based on the fact that $15 an hour is a unicorn that's likely never going to get passed now since they can't do it via reconciliation. I would find it highly unlikely that they find the 60 votes to make it happen anytime soon so its either do a watered down minimum wage increase to $10 like it seems some republicans would support, or just eliminate a bunch of deductions like bonus depreciation and the R&D credit for all corporations except small businesses.

It would obviously be easier to pass $15/hour and force it onto everyone, but I kind of like the aspect that it gives the employer a "choice". You don't agree with it? Fine, keep paying sub-living wages and pay additional amounts to the US government.

I think people would be amazed at how much things like tax credits, bonus depreciation, amortization on stock acquisitions affect companies tax liabilities from year to year. **** we were doing some forecasting this week related to an acquisition we were doing and we're likely going to have to elect out of bonus depreciation because it was going to take our $170M of book earnings and turn it into a tax loss.

It's not a great long term solution though because its just going to get repealed in 2022 when republicans inevitably gerrymander their way back into a majority.

Last edited:
By the time 15 bucks is passed cost of living will be min 25 an hour. The tax walk arounds sound good but it’s just another chance for companies to screw someone over. And why are they allowed to save on tax anyway? Taxing then would actually solve more problems

again, put the money in the hands of people. Don’t wait for companies to “do the right thing”.

Apparently, the leading candidate for the Dems nomination for the North Carolina Senate race is a young white guy
JeffJackson2019.jpeg

After Edwards and Cunningham, I got a feeling there is a side piece somewhere ready to **** things up :lol:

Apparently, the leading candidate for the Dems nomination for the North Carolina Senate race is a young white guy

After Edwards and Cunningham, I got a feeling there is a side piece somewhere ready to **** things up :lol:

potential side pieces aside, I think he's a solid candidate

young, pragmatic, more charismatic than Cal

he should be able to win, which means he'll end up losing badly

Biden doesn't penalize crown prince despite promise to punish senior Saudi leaders

Nice reward for obstructing justice, a crimespree of more a dozen other felonies and working with a Russian spy to transfer internal Trump campaign polling data and the campaign's strategies for the key states to a close Putin ally.

Back
Top Bottom