Official Ramadan Thread: Muslim NTers enter

Yea its saturday for my masjid also, so thats when ill start- fasts are going to be rough with all these long days and soccer practice starting moday...ouch

Good luck to you all.

My goals are simple this year...

-make productive use of my time (not use Ramadan as an excuse). In the past I'd use Ramadan as an excuse (a legitimate one though) that I was too tired todo anything. It's really hard to focus on tasks but I'll try my best.

-not stuff myself with food. Usually during Ramadan I go crazy during iftar. I usually plan out what I'm going to eat but when family/friends bring foodand start offering you stuff, sticking to your meal plan becomes difficult. I hate enjoying food for 5-10 minutes but then feeling stuffed, bloated andsluggish for the next 3-4 hours. This year I'm going to try to listen to my body and not over-eat.

-Exercise after iftar. Last 3 years I've taken the entire month off...almost no exercise. I'm going to try to workout 5 days a week at 9pm for the nextmonth

-try to pray 5x a day. This should be the easiest goal to accomplish (although I rarely ever do it)

-remind myself the significance of this month and why we go through this struggle for 30 days

To the people who'll ask "How do you do it?"...to be honest, it is difficult the first 2-3 days but after that it becomes easier. Some days aretough but it usually isn't that much of a struggle.

Originally Posted by Lrrr

are there any muslims in here that have eaten pork or drank alcohol?

I used to drink but i haven't had a sip in alomst 4yrs now. My goals this Ramadan is to go to the mosque more often and start praying my 5 prayers daily.Also like Carlos said, usually after the first 2-3 days it doesn't feel that hard for me.

we all have are vices that we're trying to get rid of whether it be big or small and that's what Ramadan helps us with. it takes 3 weeks to break a badhabit and start forming good ones so a month of staying away from haram things will make it easier to stay away from them after Ramadan is over.

i was talking to the imam at the mosque I go and he brought up some really interesting points. for one, he said that Ramadan helps build an immunity againstharam things because we are purposely giving up something halal and essential to our survival (food and drink) for roughly 12 hours. he said if we canpurposely give up something halal and essential to our bodies, we can def. give up something haram that we don't need to be doing whether it be lying,cheating, backbiting, drinking alcohol, etc.

Another interesting thing he said also was that being hungry defeats Shaitan because when your stomach is hungry, your other limbs are full and when yourstomach is full, your other limbs are hungry. This means that when you are hungry, you are concentrated on your hunger and don't have the patience to worryabout gossiping about other people or checking out this female or fornicating with that female. You never see those less fortunate than us that are constantlyhungry concerning themselves with trivial matters. When we eat, however, our mind is done worrying about our survival and other limbs like your eyes, tongue,private parts, etc want to have fun.

I never really thought about Ramadan in this sense before but it really puts everything in perspective. It really shows you the wisdom behind Allah legislatingfasting as mandatory among all believing men and women, Muslims and those that came before us.

glasses.gif

this ramadan I will be cutting out any sexual activity, will try to fast at least half of the days, will do my best to not use any bad language, willdefinitely not drink any alcohol, and try to keep my Mary Jane consumption to a minimum and at at least wait to light up after breaking my fast in theevenings... all in all, I look forward to this month, and will try to abstain from some of these worldly indulgences that I do so consistently

Ramadan Kareem. I hope everyone had a successful 1st day (or second if your in the east) and we are all successful in our goals.

Originally Posted by The Minister

so what happens if you eat pork on accident? does god give you a pass?
there's no problem if you accidentally eat pork. as long as you're not intentionally eating it, everything is cool.

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

Originally Posted by The Minister

so what happens if you eat pork on accident? does god give you a pass?
there's no problem if you accidentally eat pork. as long as you're not intentionally eating it, everything is cool.

ah ok thanks for clearing that up its something I've always wondered.

man its going to be hella hard for me this year trying to go to school full time and hold down a full time job and having to go everywhere on bart and bususually i just sit home all day when i fast.

but im going to try to do everyday this year which i never do and i already missed the first day so everyday but that one

I remember my friend telling me about a brother who was a starting QB in college and how he never missed a game during ramadan. If he can do it we can do it.

^ what does this have to do with ramadan? Oh thats right, nothing. For once can NT have an on topic discussion about a mature subject that has deep personalmeaning for some of its members.

Salaam and Ramadan Kareem.

I wish for all of you the best of Ramadan, and the ability to carry your successful habits during this sacred month into the rest of the year.

Too often we look at Ramadan as the only month where we should be good Muslims, myself included. Rather, we should all take this opportunity to more so"renew" our deen, and practice Islam like we do in Ramadan throughout the year.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Salaam and Ramadan Kareem.

I wish for all of you the best of Ramadan, and the ability to carry your successful habits during this sacred month into the rest of the year.

Too often we look at Ramadan as the only month where we should be good Muslims, myself included. Rather, we should all take this opportunity to more so "renew" our deen, and practice Islam like we do in Ramadan throughout the year.
agree a 100%. we all have our bad habits we need to work on. i know i do
smh.gif

today was a difficult day. it was the first day of school and it was 100+ degrees (i go to ASU). it was dhuhr time and i walked to the mosque across the streetfrom campus to pray in congregation like i usually do. when i'm done, my class is all the way on the other side of campus but i wasn't trippin. when iget to my class, i realize i left my backpack and my hat at the mosque so i have to walk all the way back. it was easily 1 1/2 - 2 miles away from where myclass was one way. i can't complain though because the satisfaction at the end of the day was more than enough. i felt like it was an authentic fast likeit was for the Prophet and the companions back in the day in the sweltering heat
laugh.gif

after today i can really see the wisdom of fasting. usually, summer time at ASU is hard with all the females on campus wearing next to nothing. sometimes icatch myself staring. its always been a struggle for me to lower my gaze. today, however, i was so exhausted, i couldn't care less. i was walking with myhead down focused walking extra fast to and from class
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ramadan kareem to all the brothers on nt. i have been trying to not think of dirty thoughts and keep my tongue clean.
what helps is choosing your company of people.
As for prayers i have been getting myself to pray fajr and maghrib atleast Inshallah.

Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

What age did you all start fasting. Me = 19

I also started fasting when i was 8. I went to muslim elementary school so it was a easier to fast when everyone at school is also fasting

Originally Posted by xR A I N M A Nx

this ramadan I will be cutting out any sexual activity, will try to fast at least half of the days, will do my best to not use any bad language, will definitely not drink any alcohol, and try to keep my Mary Jane consumption to a minimum and at at least wait to light up after breaking my fast in the evenings... all in all, I look forward to this month, and will try to abstain from some of these worldly indulgences that I do so consistently
This sounds terrible. Trust, your fasts won't count if you're chiefing.

By the way, shouldn't you be trying to fast for ALL the days?

time to bring this thread back to life
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

week one has been great. i was able to accomplish all the goals i wanted to so far and inshallah the rest of ramadan will be the same.

how has everyone else's first week been?

Back
Top Bottom