Official San Diego Chargers Offseason Thread Vol. AJ Smith >>> Yuku Search

You know what, I can deal with 4 or 5 picks.� Reggie Smith at 27, whatever they pick for NT and ROL and this guy in the later rounds:

Jerome Felton....FB/RB hybrid.

Watch him truck stick a guy for a pancake while standing: (he's the tailback, and the block is at 5 seconds, with the replay at 15....
sick.gif
)

Overview
Felton has quietly developed into one of the most dominant scoring machines in college football. Blessed with the quickness and lateral agility of a tailback, this bruising runner inside the red zone has outstanding body lean, as he was tackled behind the line of scrimmage only 15 times during his career for minus-22 yards on 575 rushing attempts while scoring 63 times on the ground. The school's all-time record holder in scoring with 414 points, he also excels in the classroom, twice earning Southern Conference academic accolades with a 3.25 grade point average in Political Science.

Born in Duren, West Germany, where his mother, Sabrina Felton-Curtis was a former professional gymnast, Jerome took the ACT as a seventh grader as part of Duke University's Talent Search program. His score was high enough to allow him to enroll in summer and night courses at Hiwassee College, where between the seventh and 11th grades he completed 19 hours of college credit courses.

At Class AAA Sequoyah High School, Felton excelled as a fullback and middle linebacker,

Earning team Offensive Most Valuable Player honors three times. He was also a three-time All-County and All-Region choice, rushing for more than 3,000 yards and recording more than 300 tackles in his three-year career.

Felton served as team captain as a senior, rushed for 1,300 yards and finished second on his team with 104 tackles. He was named an All-American Scholar and an Outstanding African-American Student of Tennessee, in addition to receiving the 2001-02 United States National Minority Leadership Award. He is listed in the Who's Who Among American High School Students and was the recipient of Sequoyah High School's Academic Excellence Award.

Felton enrolled at Furman in 2004, turning down scholarship offers from Tennessee Tech and Duke. That year, he appeared in every game, starting the final seven at fullback. He shared Furman Freshman of the Year honors with strong safety Andrew Thacker, as Felton ranked fourth on the team in rushing with 300 yards on 66 carries (4.5 avg), led the team with 10 touchdowns on the ground and finished second in scoring with 70 points. He snared five passes for 51 yards (10.2 avg) and a score and also posted an assisted tackle.

In 2005, Felton garnered Academic All-Southern Conference honors, adding first-team overall accolades. Despite suffering a right index fracture early in the season, he ranked 13th nationally and second in the league in scoring with a school season-record 124 points, an average of 8.86 points per game. He ran for 18 touchdowns and caught two other passes for scores, as he rushed 182 times for 940 yards (5.2 avg). He also made 18 catches for 144 yards (8.0 avg) and averaged 77.4 all-purpose yards per game while recovering one fumble.

As a junior, Felton broke his own school season-record and ranked fourth in the nation in scoring with 140 points, an average of 11.67 points per game. He appeared in 12 games, sitting out the Appalachian State game after suffering a right ankle sprain the week prior vs. Chattanooga. He finished second on the team with 707 yards on 162 carries (4.4 avg), including 23 touchdowns. He gained 85 yards on 13 catches (6.5 avg) and had one solo tackle. He also averaged 66.0 all-purpose yards per game.

Felton was the only Division 1-AA player listed on USA Today/Sports Weekly's preseason All-American team in 2007. He went on to lead the team in rushing with 705 yards and 12 touchdowns on 165 carries (4.2 avg). He also caught 11 passes for 59 yards (5.4 avg) and a score, finishing with 80 points for the season.

The Furman fullback started 43 of 48 games for the Paladins. He holds the school rushing records for fullbacks with 2,652 yards on 575 carries (4.6 avg). He set the Furman career-records with 63 touchdowns on the ground, 67 total touchdowns and 414 points scored. He snatched 46 passes for 334 yards (7.3 avg) and amassed 2,986 all-purpose yards on 621 touches, an average of 60.94 yards per game. He also recorded a pair of tackles and recovered two fumbles.
Analysis
Positives: Has a compact frame, with a well-defined upper body, muscular trapezoids, chest and arms, tight waist and hips, thick arms, thighs and calves and an overall strong physique with minimal (8.1%) body fat...Quite nimble for a player of his size, showing fluid change of direction skills as a runner, and shows good arm extension going for the ball as a pass catcher...Has good quickness, feet and balance for his position...Has a sudden burst going up the middle and natural acceleration past the line of scrimmage... His balance allows him to keep his feet after initial contact and his leg drive sees him consistently push past the pile and make upfield cuts that will generally see the tackler miss...The thing you see on film is his ability to make sharp cuts when the rush lane is clogged...Picks up stunts and blitzes quickly when blocking in the backfield and has no problems digesting a complicated playbook, as he has played a variety of positions for Furman...Has a very good feel for the creases and cutback lanes, showing vision and urgency getting through trash...Has a determined nature attacking the rush lanes and while he could use a little technique refinement as a drive blocker, he has a take no prisoners approach when asked to block in pass protection...Demonstrates the ability to quickly gain advantage into the crease, showing the suddenness to make the initial tackler miss...Has the pad level to stay square through his runs and shows a fluid step on his lateral movement...One of the things that set him apart from other big backs is his ability to stay low in his pads, which allows him to generate leg drive needed to run through small seams...Sudden out of his stance and hits the holes with power consistently to clear the line of scrimmage...On 575 rushing attempts, he has been stopped for negative yardage just 15 times, totaling 22 yards in losses...Fluid strider who can accelerate to the second level and shows that pull away burst and top-end speed needed to beat the slower linebackers when operating in space... While he is more quick than fast, he shows good acceleration getting to the outside... Might not try to wiggle and shake off a defender, but with his balance and body control, he can make the sharp cuts, showing the vision to spot the cutback lanes without having to throttle down or gather...It is very rare to see him miss the cut back, as he will hit the holes, spin and bounce off tackles...If the rush lanes are clogged, he is quick to improvise, showing the instincts and vision to power his way through even the smallest of seams...Has very good inside running strength and quick feet to accelerate past trash... His vision allows for him to bounce off tackles, much like Jerome Bettis did in his prime... Is a load to bring down one-on-one and has that body lean that allows him to get good movement after the initial hit...Powerful runner inside who has the ability to carry tacklers on his back for additional yardage...Shows good field vision and is even stronger than his frame indicates...Runs at the proper pad level and is crisp making his cuts, showing balance and power to move the pile and get the tough inside yardage...Has outstanding power and balance after initial contact and has made a living out of being the best runner possible to carry the ball in goal-line or short-yardage situations (converted 93 goal-line runs for first downs during his career, including all 29 attempts in 2006)...Possesses good knee lift and bend to sidestep low tackles and consistently moves the pile while staying low in his pads... Bounces off arm tackles and when gang-tackled, ball protection is his top priority...With his upper body strength, when he carries the ball high and tight, defenders have problems trying to dislodge the ball from him...Prior to 2007, he needed to do a better job of staying on his blocks when leading through the hole and attempting to widen the rush lanes, but he refined his blocking technique as a senior, showing good hip snap as a blocker and a strong hand jolt to push the linebackers out of the lanes, coming up with 15 touchdown-resulting blocks in his final season.

Negatives: Has the speed and cutback agility to reach the edge and turn the corner, doing a nice job of bouncing outside when the rush lanes fail to appear, but needs to square his shoulders better as he will run too wide and end up out of bounds at times...More of a move-oriented runner who will lower his pads and secure the ball with both hands, using his knee lift to step over ankle tackles and generate power to move the pile rather than try to shake and bake his opponent...Needs to work on making crisper cuts and staying in his patterns better (tends to drift)...More comfortable catching underneath tosses, as he will struggle some to adjust to the ball in flight and track it over his outside shoulder.

Compares To: JEROME BETTIS-ex-Pittsburgh...Felton is much quicker than Bettis, but both display the powerful frame that allows them to break tackles and drag multiple defenders in attempts to gain additional yardage. Felton is a devastating scorer when near the goal line and has shown decent receiving skills out of the backfield. He might be a better fit in a one-back offense, but he has enough hip snap to play tailback and the upper body strength to play fullback, making him a valuable prospect due to his versatility.

Who the eff is Furman? lol. But that dude has a hard shoulder. Might be a good pick up if he is still on the board in the late rounds.

I think he's worth taking a risk on at 6th round. He would be that Jerome Bettis we've been wanting for years. Plus he can catch decently.

I like Carl Stewart too. But he's not the bus type.

I'm trying to decide between the two..The agile FB, or the strong FB. They are both strong, and both agile. But stewart is more of the spread offense type,and Felton is more of the between the tackles type.

Originally Posted by buggz05

I think he's worth taking a risk on at 6th round. He would be that Jerome Bettis we've been wanting for years. Plus he can catch decently.

I like Carl Stewart too. But he's not the bus type.

I'm trying to decide between the two..The agile FB, or the strong FB. They are both strong, and both agile. But stewart is more of the spread offense type, and Felton is more of the between the tackles type.
Dude definitely looks like he could put his hat on anyone and knock them out.
pimp.gif

I just did a lil research on Carl Stewart and he doesnt look bad either But I would rather have the bruiser in the backfield. We need a guy to open doors forLT.

My thoughts too, but keep in mind that Norv is going to change our O schemes. It'll be more of a spread offense with VJ, Chambers, Gates, EP, Buster Davis,Naanee and more. That's where Carl Stewart looks good.

With Carl Stewart at FB in a spread formation, we are dangerous in every aspect. Especially in a split back with 3 WR: Eric Parker running routes from theslot, Gates/Chambers/VJ crossing deep into the post or posting up on the turnaround.....with LT and Carl Stewart both in the flats is nasty
sick.gif
. Pick yourpoison. (*on a side note I hope they don't trade Eric Parker)

On the other hand big boy Fetson blocking for LT
eek.gif
....I think he could definitely be the next Lo'Neal with more potential than Neal.

I would love a RB depth chart of: LT; Sproles; Felton/Stewart; Germaine Race (I'm not too high on Pinnock as a rusher).

^^ Thats because Pinnock is terrible. lol. At least what I saw of him in garbage time, it really didnt impress me at all.

Sadly I agree on Pinnock. He couldn't even do well against preseason talent. But I guess they like him because he can block, and he can catch better thanNeal.
eyes.gif

It's really too bad we only have so many picks. If we had a full board, this could be the best draft class AJ has assembled, and that says alot.

I imagine we will either trade down from our first, or package next years 3rd 4th and something else, or both to get more picks.

The good thing is we don't need much. But we only have 6 DB's which isn't even enough for a dime package, considering weddle plays MLB in dime. Wedefinitely need depth at O and D line. And we only have 3 backs for the RB and FB positions combined. 4 backs if Germaine Race makes the roster.
ohwell.gif

Im hoping me trade up and put together a nice little package for a trade up. Ive never seen Germaine touch anything except the practice field at Charger Parklol, so I dont know what he has as far as skills. But all im hoping for is a quality o-lineman and a FB and a DB.

Osgood says it'd be better to receive
black.gif

Special teams get old, honors or no

By Kevin Acee
STAFF WRITER

March 11, 2008

Two-plus years into being perhaps the NFL's most-recognized and most-appreciated guy who never plays, Kassim Osgood is fed up.

He wants to be a receiver.
[table][tr][td]
kassim140.jpg

Kassim Osgood
[/td] [/tr][/table]"I'm not happy," Osgood said.
"Another year of special teams is going to kick my (rear end)."

The two-time Pro Bowler says he will not attend the Chargers' offseason workouts that begin next month, an act of protest and preservation.

"There is no reason to come to the (offseason coaching sessions) and run routes all day and run my body down and not be a receiver," Osgood said.

Osgood has been dissatisfied with his place on the team for a few years. But his displeasure spiked when the Chargers drafted receivers Buster Davis and Legedu Naanee last April.

"A fair chance doesn't start out with drafting two receivers," Osgood said.

He also said his agent has asked the Chargers for a trade at some point in the past year.

t.gif

Advertisement
Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said neither Osgood, his agent nor "any other party" had indicated Osgood was unhappy or wanted to be traded.
"This is a total surprise," Smith said.

"I may have to go and reiterate my case," Osgood said when told of Smith's claim. " .�.�. I can just keep begging them, telling them to trade me."

Osgood signed a four-year contract in 2006 that already has paid him $2.15 million. He is due $650,000 and $750,000 in base salary over the final two years on his contract. Plus, provided he remains healthy, it would seem likely he would make another $800,000 in bonuses for making the Pro Bowl in those seasons.

That is not what he values at this point. He said he signed his current deal because he was told he would be a part of the offense.

Yet he caught just two passes in 2007 after catching none in '06. An undrafted free agent out of San Diego State in 2003, Osgood averaged 20.9 yards on 28 receptions over his first two seasons.

"I'm getting typecast into being a special-teams guy," Osgood said. "That's not what I am. I'm a receiver who plays special teams. People are starting to doubt I can play. They're believing I play special teams because I'm not good enough."

Smith yesterday gave his standard line about not discussing the Chargers' "football business." But he clearly values Osgood as a special-teams standout, and it is a safe bet he will not trade Osgood simply because he is asked.

Osgood vowed to play as aggressively as ever on special teams once the season starts.
"I play hard because I love my teammates and I enjoy winning," he said. "We win by dominating in three phases."

^ Was just about to post that. Really depressing. He should earn his right like everybody else.
smh.gif

Doesn't matter how many WR we draft. He couldn't break the top 3 before Chambers, Davis, or Naanee came. If he wants a legitimate shot at WR, heshould start by showing up for our new WR coach.
indifferent.gif

Maybe Joyner can teach him how to catch. I hope he gets his head straight. He makes alot of money as a STer.

He earns his right, yet the most PT he'll get as a WR is during pre-season.

And he really isn't that bad. He isn't fast, but his hands are decent.

I understand where he's coming from. He does have a point. How's he getting a fair shot as a WR, when he's not getting the PT? Then AJ brings inmore WRs.

I also remember reading an article in the UT a few seasons back that he was working with Randy Moss in the offseason. If he is putting in time to work on hisWR skills in the offseason, why isn't he getting any love to show what he can do as a WR?

If he leaves, we're going to be hurting special teams wise. Because dude makes clutch plays on special teams. Anyone remember him chasing down Dante Hall acouple of seasons back?

[h1]Learning from the best[/h1]
Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size
http://
Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004
By Nick Schenck, Chargers.com
The two players fit the same mold. Both stand around 6-5 and weigh a little more than 200 pounds. They glide across the field with long, fluid strides and look as though they were born to catch footballs.
In the stat book, however, Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Randy Moss and Chargers wideout Kassim Osgood might as well be from different planets.

Moss is in his seventh NFL season and has 525 total catches for 8,375 yards with 77 touchdowns. Osgood, on the other hand, caught 13 passes for 278 yards with two scores last year as a rookie. Yards per catch is the only category that Osgood (21.4) leads Moss (16.0).

Moss sets the bar for NFL wide receivers. Osgood, on the other hand, is among the many NFL receivers fighting for elite status.

Nevertheless, Osgood took a page from the five-time Pro Bowler's book when he trained with Moss for a month this past summer. Osgood heard about The Randy Moss Academy at the end of the 2003 season from his friend, Chargers cornerback Drayton Florence.

"Drayton asked me what I was planning to do this summer, and I said that I didn't have definite plans," Osgood said. "He told me about Moss' camp and it sounded like an excellent opportunity, so I tried it out."

One of Florence's former college coaches helps run the camp, so Florence has trained there for several years. Florence worked out with Moss before the 2003 NFL Draft, and he credits that training for the Chargers selecting him in the second round out of relatively unknown Tuskegee University in Alabama.

"I got some good workouts in before the 2003 draft," Florence said. "I ran a pretty good 40 (yard dash) after training down there in Florida. I pulled my hamstring at the rookie combine, but I did well on my bench press and other lifts, so I think the training definitely boosted my draft status."

Most football players would love to train with one of the NFL's best players, but few would pay the price that Osgood and Florence did. They shared a small hotel room in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. for the entire month of July and attended four to five-hour workouts five days a week in near-100 percent humidity.

On Mondays, the group lifted weights to work on their upper-body muscle endurance. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, camp sessions were held on the beach, where the players did various plyometric drills and pulled sleds. On Wednesdays, they ran through cone drills and caught balls on a football field. They spent Fridays indoors doing a lower-body lifting circuit that involved heavy sand bags. Weekends were for rest. The focus of everything was on improving explosion and quickness.

"The camp was very structured," Osgood said. "You stay in a routine and you're held accountable for being there on time each day and working hard. It's like a training camp before the real (NFL) training camp. It was good for me."

In addition to the workouts, Osgood had a chance to pick Moss' brain and see first-hand what it takes to reach his level. Osgood discovered that Moss is far different than what he expected.

"Randy is all about work and taking care of business," Osgood said. "He doesn't seem like he has a really bad attitude at all. At the first day of camp, I fit in and I got along with him really well."

Osgood has looked strong in training camp, especially in the red zone where he utilizes his size advantage. In Saturday's preseason game versus the Indianapolis Colts, he caught one pass for 29 yards. The results may be gradual for the San Diego State product, but his practice opponents have already seen his improvement.

"His explosion off the line is better," Florence said about the receiver he defends every day in practice. "It doesn't take him as long to get into his full stride, and his side-to-side agility has improved from what I've seen."

Mentally, Osgood is also a step ahead from 2003.

"Training with Randy boosted Kassim's confidence," Florence said. "It let him know that he could work just as hard as one of the top-three receivers in the league."

Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer has noticed the difference in how Osgood carries himself this year and credits that attitude for Osgood's solid performance.

"Confidence takes away uncertainty," Schottenheimer said. "With confidence, you lose that tentative nature that's the difference between failing to make plays and making plays. The process of learning on a new level creates problems, but Kassim has managed it very well."

Looking back on his summer, Osgood is happy that he attended The Randy Moss Academy. In fact, he wants to return with Florence each offseason. As rigorous as the training was, Osgood had fun. He remembers one particular day that still makes him laugh.

"There were some guys our age that used to watch all of our practices," Osgood said, smiling as the image reappeared in his mind. "One day, they wanted to race Randy. That was pretty stupid of them, but Randy did it and he just killed them. It wasn't even close. The guys were so pumped up, too. They really thought that they were going to win."

If Osgood keeps working as hard as he did this past summer, he may be the player that kids measure themselves against one day.

Yea but 2006 or 2007 he had the worst year a WR could ever have. He gets playing time as a WR. He just doesn't get thrown to. He gets PT as a blocking WRon screens and other plays like that. He should be happy with his PT. If he's really improved his WR play, it'll show in the offseason. If anybodyshould mad I think it should be Malcolm Floyd.

Edit: looks like two of my fav WR's are gonna be traded, Malcolm Floyd and Kassim Osgood.
tired.gif
Like I said though Osgood should have kept this in house. If any WR has theright to complain it's Floyd, Floyd had the nicest hands of the whole WR corp, up until this year, and didn't even get to suit up the last half of theseason. And Kassim couldn't break through the depth chart under 2 different coaches.

Sorry Kassim, your one of my favorite players and many other fans favorite player, but take a note from Shane Olivea because problems like these don't stayaround for too long. I just hope you don't play in the AFC.

My boy Adrian Peterson could use both of their services
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

BTW, who saw that new LT commercial? The Nike Sparq Training or something. Its dope.

�Didn't see an LT one, but I saw an AD one on nikegridiron.
*Edit

Nevermind, just saw it. LT again behind a microphone.
laugh.gif

"My quick, smells like fresh toast." or something like that.
laugh.gif

Marlon McCree
03/13/08 11:43am The former Chargers' safety and new Broncos' safety gives his honest opinion on the Chargers and why they released him as well as his opinion on Philip Rivers and whether he should be a little less talkative on the sideline. We had to bleep Marlon, so you know it's worth listening to.
[color= rgb(238, 238, 238)]Listen[/color] [color= rgb(238, 238, 238)]Subscribe[/color]
I just lost all respect for McCree. Can't wait til we play the broncos.

^
I'm on there.

Member since September 04.

Look for Flowsomuch.

But IMO, that's probably the worst Chargers board. Homerism at it's finest. I usually spend time on GTP or Bolttalk.

I'm only there for draft talk. I just hit up general and felt stupid for it. I swear.... I just argued with an idiot and wasted an hour of my life.

What's GTP?

^
Glorify the Past.

Probably the OG triple OG of Chargers fans boards on the net.

They were up before The Official Chargers forum. Actually quite some time before the Official went up.

It sucks because my original SN on that board got deleted when they switched boards. Had to recreate it.

Try Bolt Talk also. Great Podcasts!

Originally Posted by buggz05

Marlon McCree
03/13/08 11:43am The former Chargers' safety and new Broncos' safety gives his honest opinion on the Chargers and why they released him as well as his opinion on Philip Rivers and whether he should be a little less talkative on the sideline. We had to bleep Marlon, so you know it's worth listening to.
Listen Subscribe
I just lost all respect for McCree. Can't wait til we play the broncos.
SMH at Marlon. I cant believe he put PRiv out like that. Oh well, just shows how he really is. He is hypocritical saying Rivers needs to have classyet, he is calling him out and acting with no class either...

[h1]Hart energized by new deal[/h1]
Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size
http://
Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008
By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

On Monday, Chargers safety Clinton Hart agreed to terms on a new five-year deal that gave him the most security he's experienced in his six-year NFL career. But Hart started his Tuesday morning just like he would any other day during the offseason.

"I was here at 7:30 (a.m.) trying to get ready," Hart said in reference to the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program, which officially began for all veterans on Monday. "The Chargers have committed to me and I'm committed to helping this team get where we want to go."

While he wasn't pressed on the issue Monday, Hart found it necessary to emphasize that his new contract won't change his approach to the game. Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith counted Hart's work ethic in and out of season as one of the reasons why the team was happy to reward their starting strong safety with a new contract. Hart has always carried a blue collar attitude and promises he'll continue to do the same.

"My mindset is always that my back is against the wall," Hart said. "I'm never going to be content. I just approach everything I do like that. That's how you stay hungry. You don't get satisfied.

"Some people get a new contract and they get satisfied. For me, it's not about the money. It's about my success. To me that depends on what I do on the field, not what my contract is worth. It's how well I perform. I have big expectations for myself."

Hart was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2008 season, and he's thrilled that he can play this fall without the contract situation looming over his head. He's also excited about the way the new deal will aid some of his goals away from the football field.

"If I didn't have things I wanted to do for my community and my family, I would play for next to nothing," Hart said. "I have that kind of love for the game. For us to be able to get this done is a weight off my shoulders. Now I can go back home and help my community in the ways I want to help it."

Hart is coming off an impressive season in 2007, but he expects bigger things from himself in his second year as a full-time starter. He's already made a list of areas where he'd like to improve and he's already working them.

"I want to secure my tackles a little better," Hart said. "I had over 100 tackles, but there were some chances I had that I didn't wrap up or finish like I should have. Also, when I get a chance to catch the ball, catch it. I've got to catch every one that hits my hands. I'm going to focus more and not miss those opportunities. I'm going to study harder. I'm determined to be a better player."

Hart will have a new partner playing beside him in 2008 as Eric Weddle is expected to start at free safety in his second professional season. Hart is excited about teaming with Weddle, who Hart sees as a smart, ascending player.

"Eric Weddle is going to teach me some things," Hart said. "I'm willing to learn. We've already talked about getting an early start watching some film, watching some plays last year where we made errors. We're going to get in there and get on the same page so we can just go at it and get this organization where we need to be. I'm excited about the opportunity I have and more importantly the opportunity we have as a team."

Props to my guy Hart. I know alot of fans don't like Hart but I'm tellin yall this guy has potential. Before Cro came along he was the most athletic,most dedicated athlete on the team. The fact that he was humble enough to say that he, as the vet, will learn from Weddle the rookie shows you how dedicatedhe is and how confident he is in himself to even say such a thing.

pimp.gif

I still think Reggie Smith needs to add depth for us in that position and be his future replacement. (yes homer x2)

^^Nice to hear something fresh in this thread. Im liking that Hart said his work ethic would be there like it has been in the past. I hope its legit and thathe doesnt pull an Olivea.

Back
Top Bottom