:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

same thing with the pre 2012 foamposites.. I sware 95% of pre 2012 foams come with it. i tried baby powder as well buts it causes a mess on black shoes.
Wd40 under the insole there should be a couple small holes just spray a little bit should take care
Of it done it my self 3x

I feel like I’ve seen restorers spray this on leather after the paint dried. Search “Krylon Matte Finish Shoes” on YouTube and check out a vid or two to see how ppl use it.
I never use krylon on leather only midsole insta: Norcal_sneaker_restorations

Hello, first time posting in this thread and looking for some guidance as this will be my first attempt at restoring one of my sneakers. I know for the flapping part I could just reglue it and fix that, but as far as the area where the foam seemed to have chipped off, I wouldn't know how to approach/fix that other then doing a complete sole swap. Any ideas as to what I could do? It's a 2010 pair too so I don't know how much life I got left in this shoe either. Thanks
INFRARED 6.JPG

Hello, first time posting in this thread and looking for some guidance as this will be my first attempt at restoring one of my sneakers. I know for the flapping part I could just reglue it and fix that, but as far as the area where the foam seemed to have chipped off, I wouldn't know how to approach/fix that other then doing a complete sole swap. Any ideas as to what I could do? It's a 2010 pair too so I don't know how much life I got left in this shoe either. Thanks
INFRARED 6.JPG
Looks like those are pretty close to crumbling. That foam looks really yellow/brittle/flaky. Sole swap might be your only option.

Ok First off I haven't posted in JB Forum in maybe 10 years lol.

I used to be on Niketalk heavy during HS/College Days.

Anyway, now that I have alot of free time working from home (due to the virus), I am looking to clean and clear my yellowed soles up.

Back then it was called Sea Glow, can anybody point me in the right direction?

Are there any articles, tutorial, instructions, or links to the products I need?

Is it best to use natural sunshine or the light box method?

Looks like those are pretty close to crumbling. That foam looks really yellow/brittle/flaky. Sole swap might be your only option.
damn, I was afraid of that. yeah it is pretty flaky, just before that photo my thumb just grazed that little flap on the sole and caused that hole to show up. well thanks for the response

Anyone run into “air bubbles” underneath the insoles? I went to finally wear my Melo 13s and there’s a huge bubble underneath my left toes. Would popping bubble work?

without bubble :
image.jpg

With bubble:

image.jpg

i know it’s difficult to see but here’s the bubble from the inside:

FD993EE0-7B01-4241-A9A6-9CDD04BC2BA2.jpeg

Any ideas on fixes? Thought about popping like you would a blister. Idk. Bummed

Ok First off I haven't posted in JB Forum in maybe 10 years lol.

I used to be on Niketalk heavy during HS/College Days.

Anyway, now that I have alot of free time working from home (due to the virus), I am looking to clean and clear my yellowed soles up.

Back then it was called Sea Glow, can anybody point me in the right direction?

Are there any articles, tutorial, instructions, or links to the products I need?

Is it best to use natural sunshine or the light box method?

This is exactly what I want to know also. 15 years ago sea glow was all the rage. I’m not about to comb through this huge thread. Will google or check YouTube. Keeping or restoring icy soles should have its own thread for 2020 and beyond. This general maintenance thread is lame and should die and start a new one. Threads should die after a while. Reddit knows what’s up.

I used to post on NT a lot back in 2004-2006 and came back with this username years ago after NT made a site overhaul. Seeing the mod lock legit threads and send everyone to huge long threads that nobody wants to read through is lame to me lol but that’s my pov.

Last edited:
God of soles for the icy renew per a Columbia restoration I watched. Bout to attempt my pair

God of soles sauce noted. There’s so many “sole sauce” now it’s ludicrous! Saw the RetroSnickers YouTube vetting the Edgar kream ice cream but then noticed disabled comments and then read about some shady stuff. Then the salon 50 where you need a cosmetic license to get a hold of lmao wow it used to be just sea glow. The more I read the more it seems sea glow may STILL be the best.

I had a nightmare experience when it first blew up. Even though I tried to avoid the stuff hurting my midsole I still had sole separation on some crispy infrared VIs 2000 or 1999. I wanted to cry lol

Now I will do my own searching on the icy sole thing. I already get the impression there’s a lot of different favorite products for everyone.

but here’s another question. Cleaning and using water proof and stain repellent on the 13s. With so many different materials on the 13 what would you guys recommend?

I always just used soap and water old school to clean and a random finish line or whatever store brand spray repellent and then on the white mid soles magic eraser to get em white again. Any other suggestions? Reading some messed up stuff regarding using the popular crep spray on leather and what not.

Is the shoe cleaner from reshoevn8er worth it to buy? What’s everyone’s thoughts is it just a normal nothing special cleaner?

Is the shoe cleaner from reshoevn8er worth it to buy? What’s everyone’s thoughts is it just a normal nothing special cleaner?

Yea it works but I dont think it's anything special.

I Just use soap, water, toothbrush, scrub, and other detergents and cleaning agents.

Took the crumbled soles out of my 99 iv’s 2 years ago and just now getting them done and I’m tickled to death.
0B533BD1-3DE3-48DF-B509-893E4CA89691.jpeg

bought dubzeros for soles
336E8AC1-CF2F-47F8-B4FC-47068BA3CDEF.png

Were a pain to get out but with patience, boiling water, and acetone I got it done.
68444366-BB94-4B24-832A-D5447DAEFC00.jpeg

paint I mixed some white and black Angelus I had. Speckling was a new experience but happy with the results.
9DC38206-EB11-4419-A92B-9355BE3C51FE.jpeg

99’s grey has a brown tint after 21 years so dammit going to have to paint the uppers too. Going to see how gluing the soles go first. Always get nervous doing this because it’s one chance only.
C85E50C4-AE63-4855-92C4-7BCD40C3DB3F.jpeg

went better than I hoped everything lined up great. Now on to painting uppers.
5CFC81DA-EC73-4955-A3EB-59C668586B34.jpeg

paint matched up perfect and speckling went well again, had a few places to touch up. Overall they far exceed my expectations! There’s no comparison as far as quality with these probably my favorite retro ever and glad to have them back on my feet. Some more pics with my black 4’s I sole swapped a couple of years ago.
67680466-1B21-4357-957B-6EE67E09814F.jpeg

BCB82471-BFC8-45D4-87AF-AC0452FF4B04.jpeg

FC330A9D-56E5-4323-90C7-144BC863FD76.jpeg

2614B2C5-C627-4E1D-B4C9-A1C81F814333.png

Hey guys I’m new to restoring sneakers can someone help me with my pair of Jordan 11 72-10s? The paint on my jumpman logo is chipped and I don’t know what paint I should buy and if I should acetone or clean the jumpman logo before applying paint? Thanks

Hey guys I’m new to restoring sneakers can someone help me with my pair of Jordan 11 72-10s? The paint on my jumpman logo is chipped and I don’t know what paint I should buy and if I should acetone or clean the jumpman logo before applying paint? Thanks
Got pics? You’ll want to use Angelus paint and be careful with acetone, I only use it as a last resort it’s so strong.

Whitened my Playoff 12's today.
A bit of 12% hydrogen peroxide, added some laundry detergent to make it less fluid.
And then some Vanish Oxi Action. Had it in the sun for about 3 hours, reapplied a few times:
peroxide.jpg

Was just talking to someone yesterday about whitening my Obsidians.

Not as yellow as yours, but they could use some work.

E7D12C8D-7B56-4701-B433-9D2BDD66915A.jpeg

Whitened my Playoff 12's today.
A bit of 12% hydrogen peroxide, added some laundry detergent to make it less fluid.
And then some Vanish Oxi Action. Had it in the sun for about 3 hours, reapplied a few times:
peroxide.jpg

Great Job on these, I have a pair in the same yellowed condition, Ima try that also.

Keep posting guys, let's keep this thread rolling and back up sharing tips.

I will post some pics Thursday when I'm off, I'm going to start icing some soles.

I went with RaleighRestoration for the sole sauce. I've heard great things, and they have good customer service and fast shipping.

Took the crumbled soles out of my 99 iv’s 2 years ago and just now getting them done and I’m tickled to death.
0B533BD1-3DE3-48DF-B509-893E4CA89691.jpeg

bought dubzeros for soles
336E8AC1-CF2F-47F8-B4FC-47068BA3CDEF.png

Were a pain to get out but with patience, boiling water, and acetone I got it done.
68444366-BB94-4B24-832A-D5447DAEFC00.jpeg

paint I mixed some white and black Angelus I had. Speckling was a new experience but happy with the results.
9DC38206-EB11-4419-A92B-9355BE3C51FE.jpeg

99’s grey has a brown tint after 21 years so dammit going to have to paint the uppers too. Going to see how gluing the soles go first. Always get nervous doing this because it’s one chance only.
C85E50C4-AE63-4855-92C4-7BCD40C3DB3F.jpeg

went better than I hoped everything lined up great. Now on to painting uppers.
5CFC81DA-EC73-4955-A3EB-59C668586B34.jpeg

paint matched up perfect and speckling went well again, had a few places to touch up. Overall they far exceed my expectations! There’s no comparison as far as quality with these probably my favorite retro ever and glad to have them back on my feet. Some more pics with my black 4’s I sole swapped a couple of years ago.
67680466-1B21-4357-957B-6EE67E09814F.jpeg

BCB82471-BFC8-45D4-87AF-AC0452FF4B04.jpeg

FC330A9D-56E5-4323-90C7-144BC863FD76.jpeg

2614B2C5-C627-4E1D-B4C9-A1C81F814333.png
I remember you from way back circa 2004 btw. You did a great job on this sole swap and restoration. How are they holding up? I would love to learn how to do a sole swap on my 2000 fire red 5s if I could get a cheap pair of icy 2013s.

Back
Top Bottom