:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Is there anyway to make a sole sauce at home with Salon Care and other ingredients?
Actually experimented and gave a test run that didnt produce results i wanted.
As highlighted the key components in rubber restoration to get old midsole/soles or rubber in general back to as close as new is 3 - 1 split of 100% alcohol and Wintergreen Oil sometimes marketed as Methyl Salicylate. Which in theory when added to straight Salon Care should do the trick in taking the edge off which is what i believe marketed sauces contain given the smell of such sauces.
Mixed that into Vol 50 on hand added cornstarch for thickness and it still wound up singeing the sole.
Catch to that however is the sole applied to was already singed and so in order to test a Vol 50 mix i would need apply it to a fresh untreated sole. Still believe Vol 50 is too strong but wouldnt mind experimenting with Vol 40 of the same mixture in the future.

Last edited:
For what?

Does Oxyclean do the same thing T_p_Hill T_p_Hill is talking about as far as conditioning? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't)

I'm not asking solely for whitening I want to know about these other effects too.
Cant speak on OxyClean aside from conditioning uppers during a overnight soak but the Alcohol/Wintergreen is exactly what car enthusiasts use in order to recondition old rubber components if personally desiring to research the mix. Its also what i smell whenever opening a bottle of premixed sauce and use when restoring soles on the personal collection.
No doubt it may help with brightening but as far as assisting in keeping soles supple to prevent dry rot or singeing while attached to shoes is another thing.

My experience with straight Vol 40/50 has been meh to causing more harm than good. Thing is the base is too runny and lacks any additive such as key components Wintergreen Oil and Alcohol which helps to not only remove the yellowing but recondition to a light degree as well.
Id stick with a sole sauce of choice since the additives are already included. Another issue ive found is that its too potent which singies the outer most portion.
If that has happend its no worry all you have to do is scuff away a bit of the top layer with either sandpaper or soft dremel tip and youll see the white fresh rubber right underneath. Youll know its been singed if the rubber feels dry sort of crispy like. Hope that makes sense but feel free to drop a line for any further clarification.
Yo, I appreciate this info. Im definitely gonna have to give this a try.

I have a pair of retro white leather Air Force 1 Highs I just cleaned. The tongues have some yellowing under the laces and also some minor yellowing on the sides of the sneakers under where the velcro strap covers.

Is there a ways to remove the yellowing from the white leather?

Need some assist on these. Worn 1X to the park thinking it would be a group of like 7 of us on a blanky.. ended up being like a 70 person flex :lol:

I feel like this is an easy fix but a few quick searches and I can’t find anything that makes me feel like I won’t just make matters worse but I need to clean these and my main concern is how do I get the stitching and white pods white again so the whole shoe looks fresh. I’m stressed lol

Haven’t tried anything yet and this was only 1.5 days ago. Thanks in advance!

941D45B6-AA57-4CA4-8890-F30B42FF843C.jpeg

I never buy used shoes, but ended up purchasing a pair worn twice. Any recommendations on cleaning supplies to disinfect the insides?

I typically lean my own shoes with dawn and water.

Thanks

Can this be fixed? Theyre the nubuck material I think. They’re turning yellow
Do they have any value yellowed like that? They’ve been worn twice.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 565
Can this be fixed? Theyre the nubuck material I think. They’re turning yellow
Do they have any value yellowed like that? They’ve been worn twice.
Thanks!
Thats rather odd and a first seeing for me but have you tried cleaning them with anything? Also how have they been stored?

Thats rather odd and a first seeing for me but have you tried cleaning them with anything? Also how have they been stored?
I have not tried, no. They were in the box, in a closet. It was probably cause by that damn paper. Idk if the paper was still in the box though. I’d have to find out with my wife

I have not tried, no. They were in the box, in a closet. It was probably cause by that damn paper. Idk if the paper was still in the box though. I’d have to find out with my wife
Damn paper is a killer
that and wrapping in plastic are a no go storage wise. Havent had a problem with the film like paper, the stuff thats like baking sheet paper seems to not have a negative effect. Classic "trash bag" corner store baggy stuff traditionally packed with 11s seems to also work well.

Damn paper is a killer
that and wrapping in plastic are a no go storage wise. Havent had a problem with the film like paper, the stuff thats like baking sheet paper seems to not have a negative effect. Classic "trash bag" corner store baggy stuff traditionally packed with 11s seems to also work well.
Thanks

Need some assist on these. Worn 1X to the park thinking it would be a group of like 7 of us on a blanky.. ended up being like a 70 person flex :lol:

I feel like this is an easy fix but a few quick searches and I can’t find anything that makes me feel like I won’t just make matters worse but I need to clean these and my main concern is how do I get the stitching and white pods white again so the whole shoe looks fresh. I’m stressed lol

Haven’t tried anything yet and this was only 1.5 days ago. Thanks in advance!

941D45B6-AA57-4CA4-8890-F30B42FF843C.jpeg
How old are they?

I never buy used shoes, but ended up purchasing a pair worn twice. Any recommendations on cleaning supplies to disinfect the insides?

I typically lean my own shoes with dawn and water.

Thanks
Plenty used kicks in the collection,
overnight soak has never let me down. As far as supplies used/process:
https://niketalk.com/threads/air-jordan-11-retro-black-red-“playoff”-12-14-2019.677757/page-484

Feel free to drop a line here for additional elaboration if desired.

How old are they?

I want to say 2018. I used a toothbrush and some Shout to do most of the labor but I'll take any advice for next time and because I still need to do one more clean to make them that almost bluish brand new white.

I want to say 2018. I used a toothbrush and some Shout to do most of the labor but I'll take any advice for next time and because I still need to do one more clean to make them that almost bluish brand new white.
Alright so they definitely arent old and have only been worn once so:
- Laces
( machine wash inside pillow case )
- White vents/stitching
( Black Diamond carpet stain remover )

That stuff really works well for spot treatment and cleaning up the stitching, has never failed me and of course doubles as a great carpet cleaner lol. Its prediluted so no need to worry about any post staining that can occur with other cleaners. Alls you need is a microfiber towel a couple qtips and your good to go.

Only thing im thinking is they really shouldnt have caught much dirt at all, were they in box with paper?

Doing some reglues recently (see pics of all reglued recently) and wanted to share my experiences. First off don’t be afraid of glue running over so you can get the edges tight with glue. If any comes out just wipe it up or leave the tiny bit of overflow and use a drimel tool (rotary tool) and a bit that doesn’t do much damage but can get into the cracks of the shoes. The heat from the tool removes the glue super easy and clean. Hope this helps and message me if you have any questions or quote me here. Have a great day fellow enthusiasts.
1D3C9EFD-6064-4F3D-B424-C67554A80736.jpeg
AE8F1162-BB9F-4477-BABC-77796B9B20BC.png

Back
Top Bottom