:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Hey guys what do you recommend as a spray protector for your kicks?
Can an all material protector spray from walmart be good enough?

Looks like someone got happy with the glue stick at the factory
Well I don't really know what that means lol but the dude sure didn't know how to walk em... Walked my green glow, bred, fire red and military 4s much more and none of the have this... It's depressing :/ I tried nail polish remover that has acetone but it didn't do anything...

Last edited:
Yeah. I thought it was funny. And he said to use his services again. No way! He did others on this forum shoes so I knew he was legit....but bad business all around. JohnAndrews.....I need my shoes buddy! We're talking big bucks those shoes were worth.
this is the reason i will NEVER ship my shoes out to anyone, its better to practice on some beaters then to lose some great shoes and i bet you didnt have any kind of written signed contract either right? shoulda covered all bases before shipping out shoes you love. Lesson learned i bet

this is the reason i will NEVER ship my shoes out to anyone, its better to practice on some beaters then to lose some great shoes and i bet you didnt have any kind of written signed contract either right? shoulda covered all bases before shipping out shoes you love. Lesson learned i bet

Just some emails going back and forth talking about logistics. Saw some credible references on here so I figured he was good. Definitely learned my lesson. Looking into legal matters now and my options. I know he did the work cuz I have before amd after shots. But who donate shoes in storage....and other people items at that

Just some emails going back and forth talking about logistics. Saw some credible references on here so I figured he was good. Definitely learned my lesson. Looking into legal matters now and my options. I know he did the work cuz I have before amd after shots. But who donate shoes in storage....and other people items at that
yeah def, he fixed em and made a pretty penny i bet, sorry for your loss but in the end its only shoes and money right, cant leave earth with them

Why would he fix them and then donate them? So all the work he did on them was lost. Supposedly.. I think he sold them

So I just got these in the mail. I'll be using them to soleswap my 2001 cool Greys. I looked on YouTube and found one video on how to remove a midsole. He used a heat gun. Anyone in here have experience with this that could tell me another way to remove it?

So I just got these in the mail. I'll be using them to soleswap my 2001 cool Greys. I looked on YouTube and found one video on how to remove a midsole. He used a heat gun. Anyone in here have experience with this that could tell me another way to remove it?
I've seen near boiling water separate shoes like nothing. It was poured into the shoe where the insoles go then the shoe was slowly pulled apart

Before I pursuit any further, I figure to bring this up for open discussion. I sent two pair of shoes 2001 Space Jams 11 and 2001 Columbia 11's back in nov 2012 to a popular nt member to restore. The fellow nt member told me it would take a month to complete. After several corresponding emails, the it took a lot longer to complete because they were working and going through several "life" events. I umderstood and gave him no slack about the time. I just wanted it done right. By the time he was done, it was 6-7 months later and he could only restore one shoe. I gave me a price to ship my shoes back, but at that time my wife lost her job and I was transferring to another job. I told him let me get back on my feet and I would pay him thinking he would understand since I gave him the same courtesy. I actually forgot until I was organizing my closet a few weeks ago and I sent him an email. It took about 2 weeks for a reply.....but this is the reply I received below......

Sorry but I no longer have the shoes anymore. They have been sitting in storage  and have been donated. I haven't heard from you since the last time we have talked back in May of last year. 

After the shoes were finished, you have told me you werent financially ready to pay and I understood. I reminded you again after a month and you said you had bills to pay. I haven't heard from you since. It is not my duty to hold shoes to pay for customers. I understand that I had yours for a while, it's because of the extra labor of your reglue attempt that struck me by surprise. It was incredibly difficult to remove. I have no intentions of stealing of scamming you. I had your shoes ready to be shipped out after all. 

Though it is unfortunate that it had to come to this, I still do restorations and have ventured further than sole clearing and reglues. If you'd wish, I can still perform these services for you and finish promptly. Thank you.
yeah def, he fixed em and made a pretty penny i bet, sorry for your loss but in the end its only shoes and money right, cant leave earth with them

Smh.. sorry to hear about that man. I'm assuming he sold them because if they were in storage why would he take time to do something with them, let alone "donate" them. Story doesn't add up. There was one other person who had a decent rep who ended up just stopping and kept the current peoples shoes that he had.

I'm not trying to win you over but niketalk's restoration site has slowed down a lot and I personally rarely get on here let alone comment. Instagram is where all of the big names are. It's a lot easier seeing their legitimacy there as people comment etc. AND don't always take followers as a measure of legitimacy as people can acquire fake followers.

Feel free to check me out or I'd even appreciate a follow if you like keeping up with quality work and a few tips here and there I let out. @raleighrestorations

I've seen near boiling water separate shoes like nothing. It was poured into the shoe where the insoles go then the shoe was slowly pulled apart

Weird way of doing it. I'll consider that one.. You guys think a hair dryer will work?

Weird way of doing it. I'll consider that one.. You guys think a hair dryer will work?
It will but it will take forever. Took me days to do some4s. You could finish in one sitting but the doors would get hot andbburn my hands so I did it gradually

Anybody ever used shoe goo to reglue soles? Couldn't find e6000 anywhere so imma give it a try on the toe box of my OG taxi 12s to see how well it holds

Anybody ever used shoe goo to reglue soles? Couldn't find e6000 anywhere so imma give it a try on the toe box of my OG taxi 12s to see how well it holds
You tried walmart or target? I bought mine at target... E6000 is better for me

My first purchase was shoe goo, it didn't hold well so I haven't touched it in a few years. E6000 can be found at any craft store like Joanne's, or even a hardware store like home depot or Lowe's

heat gun is the best way of removing the midsole. If you plan on doing more sole swapping later on the price of the heat gun is worth it. The other method I use is to throw the shoes into the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes. This will loosen the glue, making it easier to pull apart. Shoe goo won't work for the midsoles. It's only good for the reglue of the clear sole to the midsole. Good luck on that project. Take your time so you don't have to fix any mistakes.

Hopefully this answers your questions, ive done plenty of sole swaps...

DONORS:

Two parts- removing the soles from the midsole, and the upper from the midsole

1st***** remove the threads from the toecap.. there is a video on youtube on how to do that.

Removing soles from the midsole- For a Donor from the year 2006-below.. Easiest way to do this is with a heat gun. I use the 20 or 25$ heat gun i bought at home depot (forgot which price it was), the one with 2 settings. use that to remove the bottoms, I tend to work from the back to the front.

Removing the upper from the midsole- for shoes from 2006-below.. Pour boiling water in them, let it sit for a minute, and pull apart, it will come off VERY EASILY. may take a few times though.

I only use donors from 06-below cause after that, Nike has been using a different glue thats still strong and it's harder to take apart

For example: my 99 fire red 5's, i used stealth 5's from 06

my 99 bred 4's, i used some dub zero's from 05

Use e-6000, it works better from my experience. You can find it at Michaels, the craft store, thats where i got mine.

hope this helps. post more questions if you have any.

DONORS:
1st***** remove the threads from the toecap.. there is a video on youtube on how to do that.

Removing soles from the midsole- For a Donor from the year 2006-below.. Easiest way to do this is with a heat gun. I use the 20 or 25$ heat gun i bought at home depot (forgot which price it was), the one with 2 settings. use that to remove the bottoms, I tend to work from the back to the front.

Removing the upper from the midsole- for shoes from 2006-below.. Pour boiling water in them, let it sit for a minute, and pull apart, it will come off VERY EASILY. may take a few times though.

I only use donors from 06-below cause after that, Nike has been using a different glue thats still strong and it's harder to take apart

Use e-6000, it works better from my experience. You can find it at Michaels, the craft store, thats where i got mine.

repped for awesome input, and yeah e6000 is everywhere pretty much, if you cant find it then you really are in the boonies or not looking and read the directions on the bottle it says to let the glue set for a minute or 2 before combining the soles to the midsoles and allowing 24-48 hours to cure.

DONORS:

Thanks, big help. So the donors are from early 2007 you think I'll have a harder time with them?

Thanks, big help. So the donors are from early 2007 you think I'll have a harder time with them?
he just did some guess / check work that didnt come cheap in his pockets or his time spent...

Id say theres no solid evidence saying what year the FACTORY switched glues. His remark is probably the best one you will find.

Besides dub zeros should be recycled anyways (some of them imo).

Back
Top Bottom