:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

If you just want a cosmetic fix, glue and matching paint might work. However, if you want to wear them again, you'll need to perform a sole swap.

Thanks for the advise guys. Been wearing these on and off for the last couple of years now, guess it finally caught up to me. Gonna keep wearing them and see how it goes, sole swap seems like too much work.

BTW does anyone know how to get rid of sticky midsoles on XIV's?

Hey guys, anyone now how dude whitened these so well? I tried on an old pair of 12's with no luck, ended up painting the netting and it looked like. I've heard that liquid RIT would work any thoughts on  that? I need to be ready for when the 16's go this way eventually. Dude did a nice OG paint job too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, anyone now how dude whitened these so well? I tried on an old pair of 12's with no luck, ended up painting the netting and it looked like . I've heard that liquid RIT would work any thoughts on  that? I need to be ready for when the 16's go this way eventually. Dude did a nice OG paint job too.

2 different shoes dog I'm pretty sure. Look at the speckeling, also completely different color greys if I'm not mistaken

Last edited by a moderator:
Same shoe, just full restore and changed the cement color to OG/16 style.. Need to figure out that whitening technology

Any tips on how to fix these? Leather and mesh is extremely dried out. What can I use to bring some life back into them. Any tips to fix cracking patent leather? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
how do I go about fixing these stupid scratches on jordan 8 3peats? i tried concealing the first one by rubbing it with nail polish, some correction fluid (bad idea, i know) and some baby powder so it isn't as visible. is there anything i can do using stuff from my house?

how do I go about fixing these stupid scratches on jordan 8 3peats? i tried concealing the first one by rubbing it with nail polish, some correction fluid (bad idea, i know) and some baby powder so it isn't as visible. is there anything i can do using stuff from my house?
Repaint that area with angelus white.

Same shoe, just full restore and changed the cement color to OG/16 style.. Need to figure out that whitening technology
It is difficult to whiten the netting. I tried it so many times with my tour yellow 4s.. Best bet is to paint it.. Even retrosneakers on YouTube use the paint method..

Thanks for the advise guys. Been wearing these on and off for the last couple of years now, guess it finally caught up to me. Gonna keep wearing them and see how it goes, sole swap seems like too much work.

BTW does anyone know how to get rid of sticky midsoles on XIV's?

My 06 metallics have the same problem on the midsole..just wear them while u can.

There have been a bunch of ppl in this thread who have had success whitening the netting on 4's using rit.
I'm pretty sure they used the power one or whatever it is that you mix with water.
They make the paste of whatever and scrub it on with a toothbrush let it sit for a bit and rinse.
Then repeat

I resorted to painting 2012 wc4s and it kind of cracked and flaked on the tongue when it flexed.

It is difficult to whiten the netting. I tried it so many times with my tour yellow 4s.. Best bet is to paint it.. Even retrosneakers on YouTube use the paint method..

My 06 metallics have the same problem on the midsole..just wear them while u can.
There have been a bunch of ppl in this thread who have had success whitening the netting on 4's using rit.
I'm pretty sure they used the power one or whatever it is that you mix with water.
They make the paste of whatever and scrub it on with a toothbrush let it sit for a bit and rinse.
Then repeat

Thanks for that bud, I guess that'll be my first go to. What about retrobrite or what everyone uses on the clear soles?

I used Jason Markk cleaner for the first time today and found out the hard way that the cleaner isn't exactly safe for the midsole paint on my Fire Red 4s (2013). A considerable amount of black paint from the midsole wore off....

Also, when I used the cleaner on My Royal 1s (2013), I noticed blue paint was coming off and going on the white towel as I wiped off the foam on the shoe.

Has anyone had relatable experiences? Am I doing it wrong? I mean, I've seen a number of YouTube videos all using the same method (dip brush in water, apply cleaner directly on brush, dip brush in water again, then scrub) and copied them....

I used Jason Markk cleaner for the first time today and found out the hard way that the cleaner isn't exactly safe for the midsole paint on my Fire Red 4s (2013). A considerable amount of black paint from the midsole wore off....

Also, when I used the cleaner on My Royal 1s (2013), I noticed blue paint was coming off and going on the white towel as I wiped off the foam on the shoe.

Has anyone had relatable experiences? Am I doing it wrong? I mean, I've seen a number of YouTube videos all using the same method (dip brush in water, apply cleaner directly on brush, dip brush in water again, then scrub) and copied them....

What kind of brush did you use? And how hard did you scrub?

sounds like you were too agressive with the brush. ive never had that issue, i usually use the premium brush

Anyone know how to to fix this? This is how Finishline shipped them to me

Use the premium brush for uppers and use the regular brush for midsoles. That technique has worked for all my shoes and I've never had a problem. You don't necessarily want to scrub, but is more of a brushing motion.

What kind of brush did you use? And how hard did you scrub?

I used the regular brush, NOT the premium brush which is suggested for suede/nubuck

sounds like you were too agressive with the brush. ive never had that issue, i usually use the premium brush

I think I might have been a little overzealous with the scrubbing. To be honest, I had never cleaned any of my shoes (except for my Zen Yeezy 1s) so some of my shoes were pretty filthy. So for whatever reason, my intense scrubbing on the midsole carried over to the mid/upper....:smh:
Use the premium brush for uppers and use the regular brush for midsoles. That technique has worked for all my shoes and I've never had a problem. You don't necessarily want to scrub, but is more of a brushing motion.

I hear you regarding the brush motion not scrub, at least on the mid/upper. I don't know if it was because my shoes were that dirty but it took a bit of elbow grease to scrub off all the dirt on the midsole of my Royal 1s. Those are one of my grails so I wanted the white midsole shining brightly.

Furthermore, I found a reddit thread about people cleaning their kicks with Jason Markk. One dude mentioned the same regarding some blue/black appearing on his white towel while cleaning his Royal 1s. He too was worried it was the paint itself but realized it wasn't. Instead he realized it was the glue where the blue leather meets the black leather and vice versa. Others in that particular reddit thread confirmed that Jason Markk does take off some glue from sneakers dependent on how aggressive you are with the scrubbing or how much cleaner and water you apply; the excess amount of cleaner and water is the reason the black paint came off the midsole on the Fire Red 4s.

I've subsequently checked out the Royal 1s a few hours later and again in the morning after they fully dried and no evidence of fading from any of the blue/black mid/upper. So I'm pretty sure it is just the glue that came off.

Anyone ever try to decrease midsoles? Sent a pair of shoes to get restored and they said they were going to do wrinkle reduction on the midsole...not sure if it'll weaken the material or not

I have some Jordan's with slight creasing where the toes bend, however its tumbled leather. I only see videos and tips for smooth leather. Anyone got advice?

I hear you regarding the brush motion not scrub, at least on the mid/upper. I don't know if it was because my shoes were that dirty but it took a bit of elbow grease to scrub off all the dirt on the midsole of my Royal 1s. Those are one of my grails so I wanted the white midsole shining brightly.

Furthermore, I found a reddit thread about people cleaning their kicks with Jason Markk. One dude mentioned the same regarding some blue/black appearing on his white towel while cleaning his Royal 1s. He too was worried it was the paint itself but realized it wasn't. Instead he realized it was the glue where the blue leather meets the black leather and vice versa. Others in that particular reddit thread confirmed that Jason Markk does take off some glue from sneakers dependent on how aggressive you are with the scrubbing or how much cleaner and water you apply; the excess amount of cleaner and water is the reason the black paint came off the midsole on the Fire Red 4s.

I've subsequently checked out the Royal 1s a few hours later and again in the morning after they fully dried and no evidence of fading from any of the blue/black mid/upper. So I'm pretty sure it is just the glue that came off.

Its funny paint from Royals and Black/Red 1s have been known to rub off when cleaning. It happened on my Royals, but never with Jason Markk. I was out on vacation and grabbed the foot locker spray. Used it with a hotel towel and noticed some blue from my toebox coming off. Immediately stopped and say a little spot that was faint. Can't really tell unless I point it out. Something similar happened to someone in the black/red 1 thread, but not sure if he was using JM or another cleaner.

The glue thing is news to me.

Back
Top Bottom