OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Hey I need help
I have a Roth and another retirement account
Every check about $50 goes to a stock called
ACVAX
can I get some insight
Should I up my money that goes in or change the stock how much should I be looking at for the next few years. Any advice would be appreciated. I know nothing if stocks just wanted some money put up that I know I wouldn't miss and wouldn't touch

Hey I need help
ACVAX
can I get some insight
Should I up my money that goes in or change the stock how much should I be looking at for the next few years. Any advice would be appreciated. I know nothing if stocks just wanted some money put up that I know I wouldn't miss and wouldn't touch

ACVAX is a mutual fund. You're basically paying somebody (passively) to invest in various companies for you. With a 1.4% expense ratio, I'd look elsewhere. Is this Roth account set up by your employer? Talk to HR about your investment choices if so.

As for how much to put in, that's up to you. I'd do at least company match if that's available to you. That's what I do with my 401k.

I've been maxing out my Roth the last 4 years. Have an account with Vanguard who seems to be generally well-received and their expense ratios are almost zero.

Hey I need help
ACVAX
can I get some insight

ACVAX is a mutual fund. You're basically paying somebody (passively) to invest in various companies for you. With a 1.4% expense ratio, I'd look elsewhere. Is this Roth account set up by your employer? Talk to HR about your investment choices if so.

As for how much to put in, that's up to you. I'd do at least company match if that's available to you. That's what I do with my 401k.

I've been maxing out my Roth the last 4 years. Have an account with Vanguard who seems to be generally well-received and their expense ratios are almost zero.
Yeah it through work
there's other companies I could invest in as well
also there's a general account that's 4% doesnt go higher or lower stays at 4.
I picked acvax cause the numbers looked high in the percentage compared to the 4% :lol: and the lady said it was aggressive and that its a good stock since I'm young. Now starting to feel duped by her word play :smh:
Aggressive sounded great to me and she was cute
She is our designated mass mutual person or whatever point of contact

Last edited:
FEYE :lol: What a joke.

Hey I need help
ACVAX
can I get some insight

Yeah it through work
I picked acvax cause the numbers looked high in the percentage compared to the 4% :lol: and the lady said it was aggressive and that its a good stock since I'm young. Now starting to feel duped by her word play :smh:

Well you're not really investing in a company but an aggregate of companies that were put together by somebody else. That's where the expense ratio comes into play. The people who manage that portfolio takes a cut. Talk to your Mass Mutual lady some more and check out other options. 1.4% seems to be on the higher end, but since you've just started your account, that percentage is probably negligible.

Yes, an aggressive mutual fund is a good idea for someone young and can afford the potential losses that comes with it. My Roth investments are currently 100% stocks, which has done great for me especially because I first started the account AFTER the "Great Recession" but is certainly not for the faint of heart. If market starts going awry, I figure to lose a good percentage but it wouldn't be too big of a loss in terms of total $$$ because I'm fairly new to the game. I put in $21k since opening the account in Dec 2011; my account's currently at $30k. Basically free $9k in 3 years! Of course, I could've just as easily lost $9k in those 3 years. Once I've amassed a more substantial amount of money in the account, I'll shift gears and start putting more money into bonds instead of stocks.

kors took a beating :x

Good luck if you're holding long term. I just can't see the brand expanding any further.

FEYE :lol: What a joke.

Hey I need help
ACVAX
can I get some insight

Yeah it through work

Well you're not really investing in a company but an aggregate of companies that were put together by somebody else. That's where the expense ratio comes into play. The people who manage that portfolio takes a cut. Talk to your Mass Mutual lady some more and check out other options. 1.4% seems to be on the higher end, but since you've just started your account, that percentage is probably negligible.

Yes, an aggressive mutual fund is a good idea for someone young and can afford the potential losses that comes with it. My Roth investments are currently 100% stocks, which has done great for me especially because I first started the account AFTER the "Great Recession" but is certainly not for the faint of heart. If market starts going awry, I figure to lose a good percentage but it wouldn't be too big of a loss in terms of total $$$ because I'm fairly new to the game. I put in $21k since opening the account in Dec 2011; my account's currently at $30k. Basically free $9k in 3 years! Of course, I could've just as easily lost $9k in those 3 years. Once I've amassed a more substantial amount of money in the account, I'll shift gears and start putting more money into bonds instead of stocks.

kors took a beating :x

Good luck if you're holding long term. I just can't see the brand expanding any further.
Thanks man
Appreciate the gems u dropping
Will rep when I reup
Ur avy is very deceiving
I know I ain't the only one who judges a person by their avy :lol:

Really really want to get into stocks but right now I don't have the time to invest :smh:

Don't wanna jump in blindly

Really really want to get into stocks but right now I don't have the time to invest :smh:

Don't wanna jump in blindly
Which is why you should paper trade. Best thing you could do is get your feet wet with the simulator. Open an account with ThinkOrSwim, don't fund it, and use their paper trading platform in the meantime so you could at least gain some experience.

Do you advise being riskier with the Roth IRA (at a young age with a max contribution each year) or roll with mutual funds?

Do you advise being riskier with the Roth IRA (at a young age with a max contribution each year) or roll with mutual funds?
 Pick up this book by Paul Merriman:

Amazon product ASIN 147820608X
Its around $5 from amazon.com and around 100 pages.  It reads super fast and I finished it in a few hours.  One of the best books I have read on how to invest for IRA and 401K.  He talks about the magic of compounding interest and its full benefits in the years 35+ from initiation.  If only I had read this book when I was 18, I would have maxed out a Roth IRA yearly (with my parents help and paid them back in my 30s) and invested in index funds through Vanguard and I would be so much further ahead in the game for retirement planning than where I am right now.  Index funds with diversification in multiple asset classes that include US and international large cap blend, value as well as small cap value, along with domestic and international REIT's will allow you to essentially hold multiple worldwide stocks in a variety of industries that will reduce your volatility and risk while allowing you to build for the future with compounding interest. 

Last edited:
Took my BABA call fly off for .90. In at .35. Nice little profit. Would've let it ride till Friday but I wanted to erase some losses from the past two days. Will be looking to play TSLA later.

I'm starting to think there's a little truth to the WSJ article about TSLA. I think anyone who wanted a Tesla has already gotten one. :frown:

Holding 25 shares long-term. Prove me wrong Elon

Last edited:
:pimp:

I'm actually a little surprised it's up because of missing on deliveries and reducing its delivery forecast. Also delayed the Model X. Would've thought any minor hiccups would've sent this one down.

Last edited:
Welp. Not looking too hot here. Guess the lesson is, don't take earnings trades when I haven't made anything on the day or week.

I like FSLR but you need to have a plan if you wanna play that one. Be smart with your position sizing. Breaks 50, could see 47. If that doesn't hold, could see 37. This is a good name long term, but it could be a ***** to deal with at times. Be smart with your sizing.

Just bought my daughter her first stock. Got her a share of Disney at 89.72. Figured be a good time to start teaching her about investing.

Back
Top Bottom