**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

USMNT won the Gold Cup and Concacaf nations league final in the last year tho

Aside from beating Mexico, I don't take much away from those things. I'm in the camp of not being happy that we pass up opportunities to play legit nations overseas, or even most South American powers, and instead continue to face CONCACAF opponents to keep our morale high. I get there's money in decisions but come on... End of the day, none of those tournaments matter if we continue to drop crucial contests to the likes of Panama...

What y’all think? Match at home, in Columbus, OH, and this result at the half to Costa Rica.

What y’all think? Match at home, in Columbus, OH, and this result at the half to Costa Rica.

early slip up but otherwise pretty strong for the most part. especially with the lineup. can't just squeak by though...need to come out stronger in the 2nd half and finish

Have to give it up to the young bucks, gave up an early goal but came back and held on for 3 points. This man Dest was like we play Mexico next month?! LOL

Jermaine and Casey speaking it how it should be, but this other guy talking about should media apologize to Berhalter after this or was he right to prioritize these 3pts over the Panama match? Tf?!

I swear the way most American sports media talks about the USMNT is part of the problem, just keep it 100 and criticize when performance deserve to be…

Last edited:
Aside from beating Mexico, I don't take much away from those things. I'm in the camp of not being happy that we pass up opportunities to play legit nations overseas, or even most South American powers, and instead continue to face CONCACAF opponents to keep our morale high. I get there's money in decisions but come on... End of the day, none of those tournaments matter if we continue to drop crucial contests to the likes of Panama...

But we don't pass up opportunities to play legit nations in other regions in order to face CONCACAF opponents. It has nothing to do with money or keeping morale high, we have zero control over it.

Even if we could magically opt out of the Gold Cup or the Nations League, we wouldn't have anyone to play. CONMEBOL and UEFA have their own tournaments in fixtures during those international windows.

Winning the Gold Cup or the Nations League final is more important than any single early stage WCQ round match. Saying that winning the only federation trophies available to us doesn't matter because we dropped a couple of points in a 14 round stage of WCQ is ridiculous.

Our generation in the U.S. have such a massive inferiority complex when it comes to this sport. It's always been exhausting, but missing the 2018 World Cup really pushed our supporters to the absolute limit. :lol:

Doesn't mean anything. Team is trash and gets exposed when they play non CONCACAF team

If we take the emotion out of it and look at whats actual, these are the last 10 years vs non-CONCACAF competition. There's nothing wrong with admitting we're a mid tier nation relative to the field across UEFA and CONMEBOL. I'll never understand some of the outright disdain for the team. We're making progress year over year in terms of our player pool, ironically the levels of disdain and pessimism from our fanbase probably has a negative affect on that progress at some meta level.

Against the truly elite nations we lose or draw slightly less frequently than we win. On aggregate we're pretty clearly upper mid tier. It's ok to just admit that.

25 Wins

2x Germany
1x Netherlands
1x Italy
1x Peru
3x Ecuador
2x Bolivia
2x Ghana
1x Nigeria
1x Turkey
1x Czech Republic
1x Bosnia-Herzegovina
1x Slovenia
2x Paraguay
1x Korea
1x Northern Ireland
1x Venezuela
1x Scotland
1x Azerbaijan
1x Iceland

17 Draws

1x France
1x Argentina
2x Portugal
2x Chile
1x Peru
1x Uruguay
1x Ecuador
1x Russia
1x Switzerland
1x Serbia
1x Bosnia-Herzegovina
1x Wale
1x New Zealand
1x Venezuela
1x Scotland

24 Losses

3x Brazil
1x Germany
1x France
1x England
1x Spain
3x Belgium
1x Italy
3x Colombia
1x Chile
1x Ecuador
2x Ukraine
1x Denmark
2x Republic of Ireland
1x Venezuela
1x Switzerland
1x Austria

ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF the Gold Cup has been around so that’s a key tournament for CONCACAF, but the Nations League was this thing that they made recently instead of using the opportunity to play friendlies against South American and European countries. I respect what you’re saying but I don’t believe the Nations League tournament is as important as WCQs, because the qualifiers actually mean something, feel different, and get you in the World Cup. Nations League is literally a tournament for us to beat up on inferior nations so we can feel less inferior.

The USMNT are young and have promise, I’ll give them that. I just remain skeptical of US Soccer, MLS, and the constant conflict of interest ignored with SUM. End of the day, I’m glad a kid like Pepi didn’t fall through the crack and there’s less barrier.

Last edited:
ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF the Gold Cup has been around so that’s a key tournament for CONCACAF, but the Nations League was this thing that they made recently instead of using the opportunity to play friendlies against South American and European countries. I respect what you’re saying but I don’t believe the Nations League tournament is as important as WCQs, because the qualifiers actually mean something, feel different, and get you in the World Cup. Nations League is literally a tournament for us to beat up on inferior nations so we can feel less inferior.

The USMNT are young and have promise, I’ll give them that. I just remain skeptical of US Soccer, MLS, and the constant conflict of interest ignored with SUM. End of the day, I’m glad a kid like Pepi didn’t fall through the crack and there’s less barrier.

That’s not the point. There point is that there wasn’t an opportunity cost to competing in the Nations League like you claimed.

On every CONCACAF Nations League fixture date, UEFA was playing their rendition of the league, and CONMEBOL was playing WCQ.

The argument that we could be playing tougher competition but we chose not so that we could play in the Nations League for morale or for money just doesn’t hold up.

The team is not making progress. It's actually regressing

You said the team is trash and gets exposed against non-CONCACAF competition. That was a lie.

Then you blatantly move the goal post when I say the player pool is improving every year. Come on man. :lol:

Our World Cup record since the 94 WC is 4-6-8.

We are a failed WC nation.

I want to be excited for the next WC but we're mid at best.

Context matters. The majority of nations on earth are "failed WC nations" and likely will be forever by your metric.

I swear some part of the American psyche has us thinking we deserve something in this sport when we don't.

Gotta get it out the mud and I've been saying for 10 years on here, its going to take a generation to get where we want to go.

ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF I see what you're saying now, didn't realize UEFA also had Nations League, thought it was just Euros every couple of years. Like I said, I haven't been peeping footy at all since 2019 so I was wondering what happened to all those matches against folks outside of CONCACAF. It actually makes sense for UEFA because they have a ton of competitive nations but here in CONCACAF I just feel like it sets up obvious mismatches that really don't do much to help USMNT.

I actually also agree with you that the American psyche may have us thinking we deserve better, but unfortunately American footy media also has us believe we're better than we actually are. I just wouldn't mind them calling a spade a spade instead of babying players and coaches.

Back
Top Bottom