Official Warriors Off Season Thread

That's true..those people who go to the games just to go to the "hot ticket" and be noticed.....at least this isn't the Staples Center lowerbowl...but there's still gonna be more and more of those businessmen-type people that wanna buy out the lower bowl at Oracle with the more wins weget
frown.gif
, which is probably making Cohan pee his pants.

laugh.gif

LA has all them celebrities/actors/whatnot, they're always sittin down there. Jack is definitely a true fan though
pimp.gif

Fans like that should just stay in the suites or watch the game from home. Contributing nothing to home court advantage, and probably only going to the gamebecause its the "hot ticket" in town

Do not believe Vescey at all.

Anyway, Janny Hu from the Chronicle wrote that the Warriors have already offered the qualifying offers to not only Ellis and Biedrins...But also Buike. Soundsgood. I don't want Varejao in Oakland....I know we could get better talent than that for Harrington...I hope Baron isn't traded tomorrow =( But I dohope the trade exception is used for a good quality player.

Baron can't be traded tomorrow, right? He hasn't officially decided to not opt out of his contract, which makes him untradable. Maybe I'm wrong.

Actually, I think he can't. If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere he can't be traded until July..I even tried to make a trade with ESPN trademachine and I couldn't do it...either way any Detroit trade that we probably won't make anyway would go down later on. I guess they can"agree" to it, but it won't be official til July.

I hope we keep Buike and say bye-bye to Frenchie; or at least package Frenchie in a trade somehow and get value. Barnes I'd keep for a low price...if Buikebolts I'd think about keeping Pietrus as dumb as he might be at times...

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Uhh, I think he can be.

As for Buike, I thought he opted out?

Buike opted out but he can negotiate with the Warriors still. Kind of like what Arenas plans to do this offseason with Washington.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Uhh, I think he can be.

As for Buike, I thought he opted out?

Buike opted out but he can negotiate with the Warriors still. Kind of like what Arenas plans to do this offseason with Washington.

Why did Kelenna opt out? Is he not happy here or just looking for more $?

I think there's a decent chance Buike would come back; it's not like he got that much PT last year, so teams might not really offer him too much.Unless his stock in the league is much higher than I think..
laugh.gif

[h1]NBA DRAFT[/h1] [h2]Mullin finds solace in 14th spot[/h2]

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, June 26, 2008

(06-25) 21:44 PDT -- As it turns out, missing the playoffs has its upside for the Warriors. Their warped reward for being the best team shut out of the postseason comes with the final lottery pick in today's NBA draft.

At No. 14, the Warriors were sitting six spots higher than the playoff-swept Nuggets, who nudged Golden State out of a postseason berth and ended up trading out of the draft. And at that spot, the Warriors believe there will be a talented player to join an already successful core.

"I don't know any year where you (have a) 48-win team with the prospect of the 14th pick," Warriors vice president Chris Mullin said. "Right now, we're in a position of looking for depth."

That's assuming Golden State stays there, of course. The Warriors have been active in trade talks leading up to the draft, especially with their $10 million trade exception set to expire Monday.

Mullin said he is operating under the premise that both of his restricted free agents, Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins, will be re-signed, and he has publicly stated his expectations for Baron Davis and Al Harrington to be back.

If the core does return, Golden State still would be thin at virtually every position, with rebounding and defense again ranking as its biggest weaknesses. Again, the question will be to draft for need or take the best available player. The Warriors also have the 49th overall pick in the second round.

"Philosophically, like in my gut, draft-wise, I like to pick guys (who) have potential to go on and be stars," Mullin said. "That's not always available. At the risk of passing on a guy to do that, I'd lean the other way, most times."

Need a big man? The best will be long gone by the time the Warriors are up, and the runners-up all figure to have a rough go trying to earn playing time under coach Don Nelson.

Stanford sophomore Robin Lopez, Rider senior Jason Thompson and Ohio State freshman Kosta Koufos might be the most NBA-ready among those left on the board.

LSU freshman Anthony Randolph, Kansas sophomore Darrell Arthur and Texas A&M freshman DeAndre Jordan are considered major projects. International long shots include France's Alexis Ajinca and Serge Ibaka of the Congo.

Wing players who could be available include Syracuse freshman Donte Greene, Kansas junior Brandan Rush and France's Nicolas Batum. Kansas junior Mario Chalmers is a point-guard possibility.

The Warriors auditioned close to 60 prospects in Oakland in individual and group workouts over the last three weeks, and one of their last road shows came in Phoenix on Tuesday, when they were set to watch Jordan and Koufos face each other.

Mullin's history suggests that he's willing to take a flier: Marco Belinelli, last year's 18th pick, didn't receive much pre-draft hype. Patrick O'Bryant, the No. 9 pick in 2006, came to the East Bay as a project.

The reaches haven't always worked, however. Though Monta Ellis, a second-round pick in 2005, remains the biggest steal of recent drafts, the Warriors simply haven't had much success lately with their first-round picks.

Forward Ike Diogu (No. 9 in 2005) was a bust. O'Bryant didn't have a chance under Nelson. Belinelli struggled in his rookie season. And despite all his promise, Brandan Wright, last year's No. 8 pick who was acquired from the Bobcats for Jason Richardson, is very much a work-in-progress.

Briefly: The Warriors have tendered qualifying offers to Ellis, Biedrins and Kelenna Azubuike, officially designating the three as restricted free agents and giving Golden State the right to match any offer sheets they sign. ... The Warriors have begun holding their weekly summer basketball camps throughout the Bay Area. Go to Warriors.com or call (510) 986-5310 for more information.

[h3]NBA draft[/h3]
When: 4:30 p.m. today

Where: New York City

TV: ESPN

Warriors' picks: 14th and 49th overall

Inside: Draft order D2

E-mail Janny Hu at jhu@sfchronicle.com.

Briefly:
The Warriors have tendered qualifying offers to Ellis, Biedrins and Kelenna Azubuike, officially designating the three as restricted free agents and giving Golden State the right to match any offer sheets they sign. ...
So Azubuike is a restricted free agent? I thought once he opted out, he's unrestricted..

Buike was making league minimum salary, therefore I don't blame him for opting out. Hopefully, W's can get him back, unless he gets a ridicious offerelsewhere.

Just seeing the name Anderson Varejao and Warriors made me worried.

[h1]Warriors poised for draft[/h1]
Golden State sees lots of possibilities

By Geoff Lepper
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 06/26/2008 01:37:11 AM PDT

Don Nelson likes his cigars. But even the Warriors coach can't account for the smoke screen that has enveloped the team leading up to tonight's NBA draft.

If you believe some media reports, the Warriors will use the No. 14 selection on Jason Thompson, a 6-foot-11 senior power forward from Rider with the skills of a smaller player thanks to a late growth spurt.

If you follow the consensus of mock drafters, the Warriors will select Kosta Koufos, a 7-foot, 265-pound freshman who can bang in the paint but also hit jump shots from 15 feet out.

If you go by history, the Warriors will pick someone whose name will have been a well-kept secret right up until the moment Commissioner David Stern reads it.

That's the power of the smoke screen this time of year. There's plenty of information, but few hard facts.

The Warriors are in a relatively weak position even after landing in the lottery. In a draft with a widely perceived drop-off after the first 12 players, the Warriors lie just on the outside of that group.

Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin has been working the phones in search of a potential deal. He believes the draft doesn't stop after Memphis guard Derrick Rose and Kansas State forward Michael Beasley.

"I'm not saying seven, but I think more than two have that kind of star (quality) about them," Mullin said. "And then there's probably a little more depth, where maybe down the line you say, 'That guy didn't have a
lot of hype or attention but has really carved out a really good career.' That might even go into the second round. I think there's more depth."
Having already said that he plans to match any offer to guard Monta Ellis and center Andris Biedrins, Mullin has no plans to draft with an eye on replacing them.

But which players the Warriors do end up with today could change how the team deals with its crop of free agents, which number seven now that point guard Baron Davis has decided not to exercise his opt-out clause. Reaching an accord with forwards Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes - or determining if they're going elsewhere - becomes more crucial if the Warriors take Koufos, Thompson or another big man, such as Louisiana State's Anthony Randolph.

If the pick is wing player Brandon Rush from Kansas, on the other hand, Mullin may choose to deal first with Ellis and Biedrins, so he knows exactly how much cash he'll have to fill out the rest of the roster.

[h1]And with the 14th pick, the Warriors pick...[/h1]
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 06/26/2008 01:37:09 AM PDT

WITH THE 14TH PICK . . .
Assuming Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin doesn't make a deal, here are some possibilities with the No. 14 pick, listed in alphabetical order:

DONTE GREENE F 6-11, 226 Syracuse

A face-up player with size and athleticism is always prized in Don Nelson's scheme, but Greene shot just 41.8 percent from the field in his one season with the Orange, and that may be the last thing this team needs.

KOSTA KOUFOS C 7-0, 265 Ohio State

Dual citizen grew up in Ohio but starred for Greece at the under-18 European championships last summer, earning tournament MVP honors with 26.5 points, 13.0 rebounds and 3.5 blocked shots per game.

ANTHONY RANDOLPH F 6-10, 205 Louisiana State

A scout told the Dallas Morning News that Randolph is a "Chris Bosh starter kit." More important: Don Nelson told the paper that Randolph wouldn't get past the Warriors in the No. 14 slot.

BRANDON RUSH F 6-6, 210 Kansas

Might be the most NBA-ready player in the draft; certainly will be the most polished in the 10-15 range. But his ceiling may be lower than some other, rawer talents.

MARREESE SPEIGHTS PF/C 6-10, 245 Florida

Would bring heft to a skinny front line and might immediately become the Warriors' best option in the post. Shot 63.3 percent for his two-year career with the Gators.

JASON THOMPSON F 6-11, 250 Rider

Persistent talk puts him here even though

smh.gif
Please Warriors, do NOT draft another Kosta....or Varej..oops, I mean Robin Lopez. Don't do it Mullin.
I want Arthur or Rush, or hopefully someone will slip down the draft board and fall into our laps; someone like Randolph MAYBE.

Green, Arhtur, Rush & now Speights really intrigue me.

How's D. Green on defensive end?? Is he a liability? (Though it won't be much of a big deal since it is the W's we're talking bout here.)

Apparently, Memphis and Charlotte could swap picks (with other pieces, of course). Charlotte wants either Westbrook or Love.

Back
Top Bottom