:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

In 1994, Brazil's only elite opponent en route to the finals was the Netherlands.

They also had to beat Sweden that World Cup and Sweden was definitely an elite team at that point. Sweden was better than the Netherlands that World Cup and that's a fact. I know that World Cup like the back of my hand and Sweden Vs Brazil should've been the true final. They met Brazil twice, tied 1-1 in the group stage and in the semi-final they matched Brazil almost the entire game until Romario took over. And I know that third place match scores don't matter, but I remember watching that game with Sweden trashing Bulgaria 4-0 and Bulgaria had a very good team then.

Also, Croatia that France had to go through in 1998 was far from a non-elite team at that time. They trashed Germany 3-0 in the quarter final and actually had one leg in the final when they took the lead against France in the semi-final, a lead that they couldn't keep and eventually lost 2-1. Another third place winner BTW, as they won 2-1 against the Netherlands in the 3rd place match.

I don't know if you meant elite as in "traditionally elite" though. All I know is that 1994 Sweden > 1994 Netherlands and 1998 Croatia > 1998 Italy, and that 1994 Sweden and 1998 Croatia are light years ahead of 2010 Slovakia, Uruguay and Paraguay.
I meant 'elite' at the time of the WC, not 'traditional elite'.

That Sweden team in 1994 was excellent but I believe you are making them out to be better than they actually were. Remember that they drew a very weak Cameroon in the group stage...a Cameroon side that got trashed 6-1 by Russia
laugh.gif
. They did play Brazil VERY tough in 2 matches but that alone does not make them elite. In the 2nd round they beat a decent Saudi team and then beat Romania's golden generation on PKs. One thing that really prevented Sweden from being elite is that they could not defend for crap. They conceded goals in each of their first 6-matches of the tournament. Another thing I hold against them was that they hosted the Euros in 1992 but could not make the finals after poor defending let them down in a 3-2 loss to Germany in the semis (of an 8 team tournament).

Sweden in 1994 being better than Netherlands in 1994 is debatable to say the least. That Netherlands played Brazil tough and lost 3-2 in the QFs...they also had a respectable showing in Euro 92 where they lost to eventual champion Denmark on PKs in the semis. Its hard to say Sweden were better than Holland back then...Holland won 2/3 group stage matches (lost 1) compared to Sweden who only won 1 group stage match (drew 2). They both met 2 similar opponents...both of them beat Saudi Arabia and both of them lost to Brazil. Ultimately I think Sweden made it to the semis in part due to an easier bracket compared to Holland. Holland succumbed to Brazil in the QFs, while Sweden lost to the same Brazil team in the semis.

As for Croatia in 1998, they were also a damn good team but I wouldnt consider them elite either. They lost to Argentina in the group stage, got by a good Romania side and then spanked Germany in the QFs before losing to France. Beating Euro 96 champions Germany was a huge achievement but they couldnt beat any of the other 2 elite teams they met (Argentina or France). This Croatian team was too inconsistent and didnt beat enough strong teams to be elite...they made the QFs of Euro 96, semis of 98 WC but then couldnt even qualify for the 2000 Euro. Croatia in 98 may have been better than Italy though...Italy were really inconsistent back then however they did pose more of a challenge for France than Croatia did.

I think Uruguay right now would be very competitive with Croatia of 98 and Sweden of 94. The 3 teams have similarities in that they 3 of them had some excellent strikers. Of the 3 of them though, I'd pick Sweden of 1994 for sentimental reasons...that team was bad a.ss...Dahlin,  Andersson and Brolin (this fat mu****a who could score goals for days). I couldnt believe Sweden had 2 black players
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

What I really liked about the 1994 WC was how good the 2nd tier teams were...teams like Nigeria, Bulgaria, Romania, Sweden, Belgium were damn good. Compare that WC's 2nd tier to this WC and Uruguay are the only 2nd tier team that really stood out.

I like how you're eager to point out Sweden's weakest performance of the tournament, their first game where they were still trying to settle in and drew 2-2 against Cameroon as if that's some completely horrible result. But yet you still mention 1994 Netherlands as an "elite" team despite the fact that they barely squeezed out of the weakest group on goal difference, where they had juggernauts such as Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Belgium, who they lost to BTW. And you're also eager to point out how that Cameroon team lost 6-1 to Russia, but yet you conveniently leave out how Sweden beat that same Russia 3-1 in their game against them. And funny you should mention Sweden's defense and say they're crap when they held eventual champions Brazil to fewer goals in two games they played against them than Netherlands, who you consider elite, did in their one game against Brazil.

It's a weak argument to attempt to say that 1994 Sweden were bad because of a previous or prior Euro championship performance. Germany won in Euro 96, but yet in both 94 and 98 World Cups they went out in quarter finals. Czech Republic were in the Euro 96 finals, but they haven't even qualified for either the 94 or 96 World Cup. Denmark won Euro 92, but they haven't even qualified for the 1994 World Cup. And don't even get me started on all the stuff I could mention about 2004 winners Greece and their World Cup failures. There are still two years before and after a European cup to a World Cup. And two years is a lot of time where plenty can change, hell even one year can have a drastic effect on a team, if you look at some of the European clubs who did well two years ago and who were crap last season. I didn't say that Sweden were elite in 1992 or 1996, but they were definitely an elite team in 1994.

Croatia trashing Germany 3-0 alone made them an elite team that year. If Germany lose in a tournament's knockout stage, they lose by 1, and sometimes maybe 2 goals. I don't get what's so "inconsistent" about Croatia. They lost to eventual champions whom they had a lead against and who dominated Brazil 3-0 in the final. They lost to Argentina 1-0 in the group stage as if that's a shame and even if you consider 98 Argentina better than 98 Croatia, there would still be enough space left to consider Croatia as an elite team.

I don't think that 2010 Uruguay, who although are the best of the 2nd tier teams this World Cup's finalists had to go through would have a chance against 1994 Sweden or 1998 Croatia.
I like how you use Sweden 'trying to settle in' as an excuse for them not beating a Cameroon team that was one of the worst teams in the tournament. The Netherlands won 2/3 group stage matches (Saudi Arabia and Belgium were good teams at the time so I dont see how you can call that group  weak) as opposed to Sweden's group which had a strong Brazil team followed by a weak Russian team who slaughtered an even weaker Cameroon team 6-1 (the same team that got slaughtered by Brazil but 'elite' Sweden couldnt even beat). For the record, the Netherlands' group wasnt even the weakest in the tournament because you had 3 teams in that group that won 2 matches each compared to other groups where 1 win was enough to get you into the 2nd round.

And the fact that Sweden 'held' Brazil and only lost by 1 doesnt mean much IMO. To me, losing 3-2 (like the Netherlands did to Brazil) is more impressive because it showed that they were not afraid to go forward and open up a bit compared to a 1-0 loss where a losing team can just sit back and try to defend for 90 minutes. You say Sweden conceded less goals in 2 matches than the Netherlands did in 1 match against Brazil, the argument can go the other way. I can say the Netherlands scored more goals against Brazil in 90 minutes than Sweden did in 180 minutes against Brazil. For what its worth, the U.S. only lost to Brazil by 1-goal in that WC and that U.S. team was very very poor so I dont see how Sweden's 1-0 semi-final loss was that great of an accomplishment.

If we're going to call a team elite based on the quality of opponents they beat then why not evaluate who Sweden beat in the tournament. They only beat 3 teams in 6 matches before getting eliminated...they beat Russia (very weak at the time), Saudi Arabia (good team at the time), barely beat Romania on PKs (very good 2nd tier team at the time that Sweden drew 1 month earlier in a pre-tournament friendly). They did not beat any great teams.

So you want to a call a team that beat 1 weak team, 1 good team, and another very good team (on PKs) elite? Look at their 1994 results and tell me which excellent teams they beat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ional_football_team_1994

To be elite you not only have to win a high percentage of your matches,
but you also have to consistently beat other very good teams. Sweden in
1994 do not qualify.

That Sweden team was good and one of the best Swedish teams ever but they were not elite due to their inconsistency and poor defence. They did not consistently beat weaker teams like 'elite' teams should and they struggled to keep the ball out of their net, conceding in 8 consecutive matches before their convincing victory over Bulgaria in the 3rd place match.

Citing results from 2 years earlier and 2 years after is significant for several reasons. First, it gives you a bigger sample size to evaluate and it gives you a better sense of how a team fared against other opponents. Face it, the WC is a great tournament but its limited in that each team has a different level of difficulty of opponents. Looking at Sweden's results from Euro 92 gives us some sense of the level of the team as they went up against some of the best teams in Europe. The fact that Sweden could not get to the finals on home soil gives us some sense that this team was not at a high enough level to be elite. Secondly, a team's reputation as 'elite' is not developed overnight but it is developed over a long period of time. The WC is only a 1 month tournament in which any team can make a decent run and find themselves in the QFs or semis. We can not judge a team elite based on their performances over such a short period of time. A team can only be considered elite after a good string of performances over a longer period where they win a great majority of their matches. If you look at Sweden's results in the years prior to the 94 WC, during 1994, and after 1994, you will find a team that was simply too inconsistent to be elite.

Take a look at their results in 1995:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ional_football_team_1995

I do not believe we can judge a team to be elite just based on a good WC run. Hypothetically speaking, a team can have a nice run and be a flash in the pan and make it all the way to the semis or the finals (South Korea in 2002, Greece in Euro 2004). We do not consider either of those teams to be elite. Why should we consider Sweden to be elite when they did not beat the great majority of their opponents in the years surrounding 1994?

BTW, do you consider Turkey in 2002 to be elite as well?

Man, you're really desperate to prove a weak point if you're calling the HOST U.S. team "very poor" while Saudi friggin Arabia a "good" team. And by the way, Sweden beat that same Saudi Arabia 3-1 in the group of 16, while the Netherlands only beat them 2-1 in the group stage. Yet ANOTHER argument in favor of Sweden. And you have no argument when it comes to the two teams performances Vs Brazil. The fact is that Sweden handed Brazil their only non-win of the tournament when they drew 1-1 against them, so we know for a fact that they could get a point off Brazil, while all we know is that the Netherlands lost. So we have Sweden doing better against Saudi Arabia than the Netherlands, Sweden doing better against Brazil than the Netherlands, Sweden making it further in the tournament than the Netherlands and yet the Netherlands were somehow the better team.

And if citing results from 2 years earlier and 2 years after is relevant, then 2006 Italy really must've sucked #@$, since they didn't do %!%! in Euro 2004 and Euro 2008. Besides, these results are completely irrelevant. When you mention the strength of the teams Brazil had to go through in the 1994 tournament, then obviously you should look at the strength of those teams throughout that tournament. Brazil didn't have to play them in some pre or post tournament friendly. There's a reason why there's a World Cup, because that's where it counts. If a team barely qualifies for the World Cup and ends up winning the World Cup but doesn't win a single game two years after the World Cup, neither their qualification struggles nor post-World Cup struggles will be remembered, but their performance at the World Cup will.

And no, I don't consider any of those other teams elite, but Turkey in 2002 wasn't far off. I consider Sweden in 1994 as an elite team because they handed Brazil their only non-win of the tournament and were close to getting a draw again in the semi-final until a stroke of genius by Romario in the 80th minute. And I consider 1998 Croatia elite because they humiliated Germany 3-0. None of those other teams did anything like this.

So you consider Sweden elite because they drew Brazil and lost by 1-goal to Brazil?
laugh.gif
That is an extremely weak argument.

Further more, yes, that U.S. team in 1994 was extremely weak. Their only win of the tournament was thanks to Andres Escobar's flukey own goal. Otherwise they would've bowed out in the group stage with 2 pts.

Saudi Arabia had a good team in 1994. They won 2 matches and were respectable in all 4 of their matches. I'm talking about Saudi Arabia in 1994, not 2002. They actually had the lead against the Netherlands before losing 2-1. They then beat Morocco, and beat Belgium thanks to a goal by Owairan that was one of the best goals in WC history. They then lost to a strong Sweden team in the round-of-16. Not bad for a team that made their WC debut.

Sweden doing better than the Netherlands does not make them elite. To be elite in this sport you must consistently beat your opponents. Sweden only won 3 of their 6 WC matches...drawing a crappy Cameroon team, drawing Brazil, beating a crappy Russian team, beating a good Saudi team, DRAWING Romania (winning on PKs), losing to Brazil. Who exactly did they beat in the tournament to give you the impression they were elite? Drawing good teams makes you elite now? I guess the U.S. in 2006 were elite because they drew the WC champions. I guess Switzerland and Korea were elite for drawing the finalists.

-Sweden did not beat anyone great
-Sweden's defence was crap
-Sweden did not beat any great teams throughout 1994
-Sweden were terrible in 1995

Your argument:
-Sweden outperformed the Netherlands (even though they both got the same results against the same opponents and the Netherlands won more matches than Sweden up until the QFs)
-Sweden only conceded twice to the WC champions and managed a draw against the WC champions
-Sweden killed Bulgaria in the 3rd place match
-Sweden were elite as the result of the above.

BTW, the Brazil vs. Sweden semi-final in 1994 wasnt even close. Sweden were much better in the group stage match and had Brazil chasing the game. The semi-final match saw Brazil completely dominate and it took some heroics by Ravelli to keep the score closer than it should've been. If you remember the 94 WC like the back of your hand then you should atleast acknowledge Brazil dominated Sweden in the semis. Compare Sweden's semi-final performance to Holland's QF performance. Sweden were unable to create a single decent chance against Brazil in 90 minutes of play. Holland fought back from 2-0 down to tie the match before losing 3-2 in one of the matches of the tournament (Brazil's winning goal was a FK but they deserved to win anyways). Holland played better against Brazil in the 2nd round than Sweden did.

I am not questioning that Sweden had a very good team in 1994 but to call that team elite is questionable to say the least.

HUP HOLLAND!!!

Nederland may not exist if we win sunday.

Snapshot from the viewing in Utrecht after the win against Uruguay.

2ika1ro.jpg

Anyways, what are y'all picks for best players of the tournament?

First team XI:

-----------------Casillas------------
Maicon----Pique--Puyol----------Contreo
------Schweinsteiger--Xavi--------------
Mueller-----Sneijder--------Villa
-------------Forlan--------------------

Honorable mention...

GK: Eduardo, Japanese keeper, Neuer

Defenders: Freidrich, Mertesacker, Juan, Carvahlo, Bruno Alves, Lahm, Sergio Ramos, Gabriel Heinze

Midfielders: Meireles, Xabi Alonso, De Jong, Anthony Annan

Attackers: Klose, Suarez, Podolski, Robben, Ozil, Messi, Honda, Vittek

Anyways, what are y'all picks for best players of the tournament?

First team XI:

-----------------Casillas------------
Maicon----Pique--Puyol----------Contreo
------Schweinsteiger--Xavi--------------
Mueller-----Sneijder--------Villa
-------------Forlan--------------------

Honorable mention...

GK: Eduardo, Japanese keeper, Neuer

Defenders: Freidrich, Mertesacker, Juan, Carvahlo, Bruno Alves, Lahm, Sergio Ramos, Gabriel Heinze

Midfielders: Meireles, Xabi Alonso, De Jong, Anthony Annan

Attackers: Klose, Suarez, Podolski, Robben, Ozil, Messi, Honda, Vittek

eyes.gif

Ozil, Forlan, Villa, Sjneider(probably not spelled right), and Michael Bradley
pimp.gif
have to me set themselves apart from the rest of the competition. Bradley probably doesnt belong with the rest but that goal vs Slovenia was too sick. Personal USA bias.

the octopus only predicts german games ..I'm still putting money on holland 
laugh.gif

i love the world cup, but I can't wait till the regular season starts 

I don't know what you all see in Özil.Great player but he always tries to hard to get trough three or more players and he has definitly no killer-instinct in front of the goal.
Again, great player but alone from the german side I think Müller and Schweinsteiger have been much more valuable.

Originally Posted by engoi

I don't know what you all see in Özil.Great player but he always tries to hard to get trough three or more players and he has definitly no killer-instinct in front of the goal.
Again, great player but alone from the german side I think Müller and Schweinsteiger have been much more valuable.
Salty Schalke fan hating on Ozil
eyes.gif

But seriously though, he's an excellent young talent with plenty of room to grow. The two main problems I see with him are that he sometimes tries to run through defenders, and the other issue is he tends to disappear for long periods of time. It's nothing unusual for a 21-year-old and nothing that cant be fixed. You're right, Schweinsteiger has probably been Germany's most valuable player followed by Mueller. After that I'd lump Klose, Podolski, Ozil, Lahm, Mertesacker, Freidrich and Neuer together as being equally valuable. I think Germany's least valuable players have been their LBs and Khedira who I dont think is anything special at this point.

Originally Posted by engoi

Salty Schalke fan hating on Ozil
eyes.gif

But seriously though, he's an excellent young talent with plenty of room to grow. The two main problems I see with him are that he sometimes tries to run through defenders, and the other issue is he tends to disappear for long periods of time. It's nothing unusual for a 21-year-old and nothing that cant be fixed. You're right, Schweinsteiger has probably been Germany's most valuable player followed by Mueller. After that I'd lump Klose, Podolski, Ozil, Lahm, Mertesacker, Freidrich and Neuer together as being equally valuable. I think Germany's least valuable players have been their LBs and Khedira who I dont think is anything special at this point.

I' not hating on Mesut Özil but I guess the hype around him is not justified to that degree.
On the LB position we've always problems, no one is on that position really good.
Westermann was considered LB but that was also only because of lack of a good LBs.

Diego Forlan is ridiculously talented. What a freakin' goal.

The Uruguayans seem to want this match more. I've been disappointed with Schweinsteiger's performance...he set up Germany's goal but he's been a defensive liability.

Ozil and Khedira have probably been Germany's best players.

Cacau is completely useless. I dont know how this guy made Germany's team.

Back
Top Bottom