:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

spsfinest212 moaning like a !$!%@
laugh.gif
U mad doggie?

The better team won today but I'm extremely proud of how we played this whole tournament.

Finally we can start to shed this 'boring grind out play' label that we've acquired in recent History and finally we have a bright future
happy.gif

Spain are definitely boring to watch with this possession game at the moment, but I am still immensely jealous of their team cohesion & passing skills

37716313020b6854be70b697b804e5c3ff50b4ae_r.jpg

Serie a
Copa Italia           CHAMPIONS
UCL

0161631f0b056155b1fb3a82740a3ef2ec0d0174_r.jpg

World Cup................next
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AJIIIpLATINum

Originally Posted by Noskey

This was a big surprise to me, as it is to many others I'm sure. Cant believe Germany was held scoreless
eek.gif
Wish I was able to see the 2nd half though
smh.gif

Are you kidding me? Strategically Germany was a one dimensional team...Score first then sit back and counter attack. Well this time Spain scored first and they were screwed just like when Slovakia scored on them first and Argentina did in the May friendly. I think I might use that strategy this week for my AYSO kids.
wink.gif

Well i don't like Spain or Holland but atleast they both try to play total football unlike Germany.

Yeah they are one dimensional. Doesnt mean they aren't the highest scoring team of the tourney. Which is what I was surprised about; them not scoring. Not surprised Spain beat them, they've been doing that for years now
smokin.gif
I should have made that clearer. But hell, Spain was my (unbiased) choice to win the Cup. Their defense is something serious.

Good game, had me on the edge of my seat the entire time and standing. my throat was just waiting to scream goal. Iniesta, Xavi,Puyol
pimp.gif

this is my 2 cents and I'm sure some of you wont agree
Considering this is practically barca at many spots in the field, the one figure that really stands out to me and I feel is holding back spain is Xabi Alonso. I feel his presence is unneeded when you have Busquets back there, and who naturally has better chemistry with iniesta and xavi. He doesnt particularly add anything to the team per se, because they already have the midfield to hold possession, and the one area where he could give spain that extra punch, long range shots,  he has not launched enough to warrant his presence in the field. 

What you end up seeing is a team who seems predictable in attack at times, and not until today with the presence of Pedro(who justly validated his presence on the field today) did you seem a team with some spark.

There's too many players on that bench, namely silva, fabregas, or navas that would add more width and creativity to this team than alonso's presence and who would give us the play that the world knows spain can put out.

There's absolutely no reason why spain has to scratch and claw their way into 1 goal victories this deep into the tourney.

It's a shame because both holland and spain have left A LOT to be desired, and even with them in the finals, have not been the best teams in the tourney. Yeah, I said it...I hope someone on sunday plays enough to make me think otherwise.

Originally Posted by EZLN1

the one area where he could give spain that extra punch, long range shots,  he has not launched enough to warrant his presence in the field. 
Disagreed. He is the best long passer on the team, and the world for that matter. He wins balls and his positioning is always on point. Busquets can win balls but he is limited to short passing. Today he played well - sent some lovely balls into the box and had a few cracks on goal too. No way can you bench him, and for whom? Spain played much better today with Pedro at the expense of Torres, what does Alonso have to do with that. If anything, bench Xavi for Cesc if it's more creativity and attacking you're after. But really, they played fine today and they're in the final. The team IS similar to Barca in that their possession=defence. There are not many better holding midfielders than Xabi Alonso.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

After watching the game i can officially say i will be rooting for the Netherlands. This Spanish team is extremely boring to watch.
Do you understand soccer at all?

The way they played today was all strategy if they keep possession the entire game they limit the opportunities that Germany could get and since they have one of the best passing squad on the planet it worked out beautifully. If they played a reckless game they would have given Germany to many chances to score on counter attacks and would have increased they're likelihood of losing the game.

Just look back at how they beat England, almost all their points were from counter attacks after failed England attacks.

Hopefully Uruguay payed attention to that and follows the same tactic and send Germany home with nothing.
A good strategy doesn't mean the soccer was exciting. There is a common misconception that dominating possession means playing beautiful soccer. It doesn't. Spain didn't dominate possession in Euro 2008 when its victory was considered a triumph of the beautiful game. In fact, I think it had less possession that opposing teams in all but 1 or 2 games, and Germany had more possession than them in the final. There was a balance between risk and possession for Spain in Euro 2008, and they have lost that balance at this World Cup. Now it's all possession and very little risk. They basically try to short-pass/dribble the ball into the goal. It might be effective, but it's not terribly exciting. 
Again, like I said before......this isn't Spain's fault, this is the fault of the teams who have all tried the "park the bus" strategy to beat them.

Sending all their men back, clogging up their half and hoping to capitalize and counterattack against Spain + Spain's excellent passing = Spain having at least 3/4 of the possession but having no real room to make long passes or runs. Instead, since the pitch has been "cut in half" and is extremely crowded they can only make short passes and hope to, with enough ball movement and patience, break down the defense for long enough to score.

I'm a Spain fan but I think for the most part I "call it like I see it".....if Spain were playing a boring style I wouldn't deny it; a win is a win, "beautiful" or not. But what I described is clearly is the case IMO. Switzerland did it and every team they have played since did it as well, except Paraguay for brief stretches in the beginning of the match- they attacked more than any other team Spain played in this WC but they soon fell into the defensive, counterattacking style everyone else played.

this is my 2 cents and I'm sure some of you wont agree
Consideringthis is practically barca at many spots in the field, the one figurethat really stands out to me and I feel is holding back spain is XabiAlonso. I feel his presence is unneeded when you have Busquets backthere, and who naturally has better chemistry with iniesta and xavi. Hedoesnt particularly add anything to the team per se, because theyalready have the midfield to hold possession, and theone area where he could give spain that extra punch, long range shots, he has not launched enough to warrant his presence in the field. 

Whatyou end up seeing is a team who seems predictable in attack at times,and not until today with the presence of Pedro(who justly validated hispresence on the field today) did you seem a team with some spark.

There'stoo many players on that bench, namely silva, fabregas, or navas thatwould add more width and creativity to this team than alonso's presenceand who would give us the play that the world knows spain can put out.

There's absolutely no reason why spain has to scratch and claw their way into 1 goal victories this deep into the tourney.

It'sa shame because both holland and spain have left A LOT to be desired,and even with them in the finals, have not been the best teams in thetourney. Yeah, I said it...I hope someone on sunday plays enough tomake me think otherwise.
I basically agree with your post. If I were in Del Bosque's shoes I'd have Fabregas starting for sure. He's an enormous talent, right up there with Iniesta and Xavi IMO.

We saw Alonso firing today (although no shots were on target I don'tthink, right?) but overall you're right, he's been very quiet this WC.I agree that one or the other should sit, but would you rather haveBusquets starting?

As for the 1 goal games.....that's partly due to Torres being uselessout there and teams "parking the bus" like I mentioned when playingSpain.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Originally Posted by tonton32

i believe this spanish team is a 'beautiful' result of what seems to be a spanish golden generation and they are all to good to not be in the final
Wasn't this from Euro 2008?

embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

the one area where he could give spain that extra punch, long range shots,  he has not launched enough to warrant his presence in the field. 
Disagreed. He is the best long passer on the team, and the world for that matter. He wins balls and his positioning is always on point. Busquets can win balls but he is limited to short passing. Today he played well - sent some lovely balls into the box and had a few cracks on goal too. No way can you bench him, and for whom? Spain played much better today with Pedro at the expense of Torres, what does Alonso have to do with that. If anything, bench Xavi for Cesc if it's more creativity and attacking you're after. But really, they played fine today and they're in the final. The team IS similar to Barca in that their possession=defence. There are not many better holding midfielders than Xabi Alonso.
I'm not denying the talent Alonso has. He is an elite player, and in a team that is quick to counter and/or launch at the sight of the goalpost (i.e real madrid), he fits the system perfectly. But Spain is not built for that...it is about connect the dot passing and finding open spaces ala Barcelona. You do not need 2 holding midfielders  at the expense of a more dynamic player, and I would no doubt choose Busquests again because of his chemistry with Xavi and Iniesta, and because of his younger legs. Again, to go back to Barca...you did not see Pep putting yaya and busquets at the same time, but instead Keita who is more prone to push up and make runs in the box. Why do you need 2 holding MF's out there when  you already got a rock solid defense headed by pique and puyol, and xavi and iniesta, who NEVER lose the damn ball?  Fabregas is such a dynamic player who would no doubt create more shots and have shots closer to the box instead of launching them in the hopes Alonso catches one right.

CAMEL, I agree that it's not Spain's "fault", but that doesn't change the fact that watching them has become boring. Any game in which one team controls 65% of possession will only be exciting if the game is 5-0 or something. 65% + 1 goal = boring, one-sided game. Most of the time.

I agree completely. Pick one or the other I don't care. But del Bosque is leaving too much talent on the bench to start both Xabi and Busquets. I want to see Fab in there but really I don't know if he fits in with both Xavi and Iniesta. He can play with them but I don't think that would play to his strengths as much with both out there.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

CAMEL, I agree that it's not Spain's "fault", but that doesn't change the fact that watching them has become boring. Any game in which one team controls 65% of possession will only be exciting if the game is 5-0 or something. 65% + 1 goal = boring, one-sided game. Most of the time.
yeah fair enough. i think the final should be exciting enough though. and if it isn't, well....the 3rd place match should be.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by babam11218719

Iagree completely. Pick one or the other I don't care. But del Bosque isleaving too much talent on the bench to start both Xabi and Busquets. Iwant to see Fab in there but really I don't know if he fits in withboth Xavi and Iniesta. He can play with them but I don't think thatwould play to his strengths as much with both out there.
I'd leave Alonso out there for sure if it were up to me.

I think Fabregas would work great with those guys, you can't have too much great passing. Obviously it's not something they're in desparate need of, it'd be a lot nicer if they had another top-tier striker (aka a healthy Torres)  as that is something they don't have. But Pedro is very good and basically plays forward even though he's a MF.

Either way Spain is looking great, and the "problems" with having such a talented bench are not real issues. Silva, Torres, Navas, Fabregas, Llorente etc. as your potential subs in the WC final?
sick.gif
pimp.gif

I wouldn't care if del Bosque leaves some "good" players on the bench, I don't think they can live up to the WC hype.
eyes.gif

thats from Euro 08.. who cares about that now? lol..
Germany and bastian schweinsteiger did.

They lost the game before the even got on the pitch. There was too much respect given to spain and they lost the mental game.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

spsfinest212 moaning like a !$!%@
laugh.gif
U mad doggie?

The better team won today but I'm extremely proud of how we played this whole tournament.

Finally we can start to shed this 'boring grind out play' label that we've acquired in recent History and finally we have a bright future
happy.gif

Spain are definitely boring to watch with this possession game at the moment, but I am still immensely jealous of their team cohesion & passing skills
Nah I'm pretty excited I hate Germany.

It's kind of funny how Holland and Spain were regarded as highly entertaining and under-achieving sides over the last few decades.

This time around both teams played results-oriented football and find themselves 90 minutes away from winning their first ever WC title.

I personally find it hard to criticize either side for playing pretty boring styles up to this point. Sure, Holland and Spain can open things up, start 5 attackers with 1 holding midfielder and go for 4-goals each match but that wont get you anywhere in today's game. Argentina tried that and they got absolutely destroyed by a more balanced German side. Holland and Spain have opted for balance and patience and it has paid dividends.

This is not the most talented Dutch side ever (they still are very talented though) and so their coach has opted to play a style that suits their personnel. They dont have the greatest defence in the world so he's been forced to sacrifice 1 attacking player and use 2 holding midfielders to shield their backline.

This is probably the best Spanish team ever but they obviously cant start all the talented players that they have. They played better in Euro 08 with just 1 striker and 5 midfielders so Del Bosque opted to use that approach in this tournament. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter if you win by 1-goal or 4-goals. I'm also disappointed that we're not seeing a more entertaining Spain but I completely understand where they're coming from. This is a team that routinely gave up 2+ goals in major competitions and would crash and burn despite such high expectations.

Back
Top Bottom