:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Deja vu all over again!

Poor pen...
smh.gif

Podolski just had the worst 5 minute stretch I've witnessed in a World Cup in terms of wasted chances. First two 90%-100% chance misses after excellent setups by Özil then he misses the penalty.

Anyone notice #15 for Serbia is just walking around half asleep? Dude is just speed walking out there

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Podolski just had the worst 5 minute stretch I've witnessed in a World Cup in terms of wasted chances. First two 90%-100% chance misses after excellent setups by Özil then he misses the penalty.
I came here to say the exact same thing
laugh.gif

What is it with this dude blasting shots everytime he's in the penalty box? A little finesse and he'd have 1-2 goals by now. The ironic thing is he's blasted every chance he's gotten inside the box but then attempts a very soft PK that is easily saved.

Damn Serbia is about to pull off an upset.

This Spanish referee has been god-awful though. I think he's handed out like 8 yellow cards so far

As a few others have said, this is why you don't crown World Cup champions after the opening game. This group looked wide open from the start, and Serbia always looked strong enough to compete or even win the group. Granted they benefited from a weak red and a poorly taken penalty, but this just goes to show you how fortunes can quickly change at the tournament, because almost every team is solid.

Other than the penalty, has Podolski had a shot-on-target tonight? Spraying the ball everywhere...

This isnt a good result for Ghana
frown.gif

There's a strong possibility that a team from this group goes home with 6 pts.

Hopefully Ghana can win tomorrow and withstand the German barrage that comes their way next week.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

As a few others have said, this is why you don't crown World Cup champions after the opening game. This group looked wide open from the start, and Serbia always looked strong enough to compete or even win the group. Granted they benefited from a weak red and a poorly taken penalty, but this just goes to show you how fortunes can quickly change at the tournament, because almost every team is solid.
Serbia played like crap in their first game. They did not look strong enough for anything. They played a good, focused defensive game today, but don't give them more credit than they deserve. Germany controlled the ball most of the game, had more opportunities, but couldn't finish.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Serbia played like crap in their first game. They did not look strong enough for anything. They played a good, focused defensive game today, but don't give them more credit than they deserve. Germany controlled the ball most of the game, had more opportunities, but couldn't finish.
grin.gif
My whole point was that you can't judge a team off of one performance, especially in the opening game it Serbia's weak effort or Germany's strong effort. Always obviously doesn't refer to one game, it refers to qualifying. Maybe it's morning crankiness from me, but I swear people just love to try to pick statements apart without actually comprehending.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

This isnt a good result for Ghana
frown.gif

There's a strong possibility that a team from this group goes home with 6 pts.

Hopefully Ghana can win tomorrow and withstand the German barrage that comes their way next week.
my thoughts exactly.
but to be honest, ghana looked weak against serbia.

ivory coast is africas only hope... and even then theyll have to hope for portugal to choke against PRK and not choke against prk themselves.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

You said:
This group looked wide open from the start, and Serbia always looked strong enough to compete or even win the group.
Not true

I explained why it is true, and your response is simply "Not true." What sophisticated arguments you have. I take it you were one of those who crowned Germany after the first game, and are now trying to justify your premature proclamations by trying to make it seem like this is a huge shocker of an upset, when it's really not. Many predicted Serbia would win this group out-right, I personally predicted they'd reach the semi-finals, and Tevez hinted that he didn't doubt that they'd make a deep run. So yes, it is true that the group was wide open from the start, and it is true that Serbia has looked strong enough to win the group for some time, despite their initial hiccup against Ghana.

This Serbian team arent pretty to watch but their defence will give them a chance to advance to the QFs or semis. Imagine if they advance out of this group...they'll go up against England/U.S./Slovenia. Those 3 teams all have trouble scoring and it definitely wont be easy to score against this Serbian team. I dont see why we shouldnt consider Serbia as potential quarter-finalists. Thhe same can be said about Germany and Ghana given the lack of quality in Group C.

I'm going to be a bit selfish and hope Germany meet England and Spain meet Brazil in the round-of-16. Lets cut to the chase.

Back
Top Bottom